• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bison player suspended over banned substance

HookedonGriz

DONOR
He and his mom say a staffer provided it and whole locker room took it regularly. And the Griz get sanctioned over hot dogs?

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/961311-NDSU-former-Bison-football-player-disagree-on-who-supplied-supplement-that-likely-led-to-failed-drug-test#.XFIuw16u-3x.twitter

In fairness, it was probably buried deep in the cheese-covered deep-fat fried lard fritters served in a backhoe bucket, I doubt they even realized it any more than the layers of polish and brats surrounding it. I give them a pass on this one.

HookedonGriz said:
He and his mom say a staffer provided it and whole locker room took it regularly. And the Griz get sanctioned over hot dogs?

https://www.inforum.com/sports/football/961311-NDSU-former-Bison-football-player-disagree-on-who-supplied-supplement-that-likely-led-to-failed-drug-test#.XFIuw16u-3x.twitter

NCAA should have a ball with this one. "Staffer provided it and whole locker room took it regularly." Major league. No institutional control, drugs, multiple players...stand by. Let the inquisition, I mean investigation, begin!

jodcon said:
In fairness, it was probably buried deep in the cheese-covered deep-fat fried lard fritters served in a backhoe bucket, I doubt they even realized it any more than the layers of polish and brats surrounding it. I give them a pass on this one.

I tried to tell these kids no more Golden Corral. That had to be the downfall!

jodcon wrote: ↑Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:51 pm

I see some similarity to the fare Clemson was served at the White House Micky D's. Breakfast of champions

Interesting story. Hard to believe 18 athletes were tested and only 1 came up positive if everyone on the team used the supplement. Also hard to believe that NDSU doesn’t provide supplements for players.

Bummer for the kid. Looks like he’ll go NAIA where you can put anything into your body and not get caught.

Man, you just hate to see that. What a bad thing for that program . . . that will never, ever, go away. Hate to see it.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
After the full investigation and resultant forfeiture of the title, EWU will be national champs.
And MSU gets another vacated win...

True, UM had one ineligible player on the field, TJ, and had to vacate all those games.

Could MSU make this into an argument that they were national champions?

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
After the full investigation and resultant forfeiture of the title, EWU will be national champs.
And MSU gets another vacated win...

True, UM had one ineligible player on the field, TJ, and had to vacate all those games.

Could MSU make this into an argument that they were national champions?

I bet they are already hoisting the banner in the land where a three-way tie for third equals a championship. With MSU and NCs, we've learned that you don't have to actually win 'em; just claim 'em. NCs by conquest.

wbtfg said:
Interesting story. Hard to believe 18 athletes were tested and only 1 came up positive if everyone on the team used the supplement. Also hard to believe that NDSU doesn’t provide supplements for players.

Bummer for the kid. Looks like he’ll go NAIA where you can put anything into your body and not get caught.

It’s because they weren’t

18 kids are tested by the NCAA after every single playoff game. Nearly 600 players from NDSU tested since 2010 and one failed a test.

Only issue in this case is the NCAA and their vague and unclear rules. With all the supplements available , it is impossible to throw a catch all clause out their and expect not to have issues.

Feel bad for Brock. Feel bad for whoever thought it was legal.

uofmman1122 said:
I guess we know what sustained success looks like now.

Lol

Sad situation but as a player, you need to know what is legal or not legal.

I was told, by an extremely likely source, Brock purchased a supplement that their motivational speaking coach also uses and it was purchased at GNC. Crappy deal, but Brock should have vetted it was legal. Never was ran through the S&C coach or vetted by anyone in the athletic department. They constantly tell the players to make sure something is legal/not legal. Completely inaccurate that a coach told him to take it and said it was legal.

18 players every game tested in the playoffs. Nearly 600 kids tested since 2010 and one failed.

I can tell you first hand, the players on the team are disappointed with Brock. He’s looking for an excuse and outlet and trying to throw the team under the bus with them.

Jesus, I thought we were bad.

You guys make circling the wagons and eating your own an art form. :lol:

uofmman1122 said:

I’m not making excuses...I’m telling you what happened. It’s crappy for Brock, but it is not some sort of conspiracy or institution wide cheating.

Again, nearly 600 players from NDSU have been tested by the NCAA (not even counting internal testing) in playoff games since 2010 and 1 player failed a drug test. 1.

Sucks for Brock. NCAA is the biggest problem. There is not a banned substance list for this kind of supplement , by specific supplement name, so the players have to go through the vetting themselves. That is their responsibility, but issues happen like this and everyone gets frustrated.

Ben Newam in this case probably shouldn’t have mentioned it if he didn’t know it was legal/not legal. He’s a motivational speaking coach and really has no business getting involved in discussing a workout supplement.

Does anyone know how many Bison players have been tested since 2010?

If it really has been 600, isn't that a roster violation (for having had too many players on the team over that period of time)?

2011BisonAlumni said:
uofmman1122 said:

I’m not making excuses...I’m telling you what happened. It’s crappy for Brock, but it is not some sort of conspiracy or institution wide cheating.

Again, nearly 600 players from NDSU have been tested by the NCAA (not even counting internal testing) in playoff games since 2010 and 1 player failed a drug test. 1.

Sucks for Brock. NCAA is the biggest problem. There is not a banned substance list for this kind of supplement , by specific supplement name, so the players have to go through the vetting themselves. That is their responsibility, but issues happen like this and everyone gets frustrated.

Ben Newam in this case probably shouldn’t have mentioned it if he didn’t know it was legal/not legal. He’s a motivational speaking coach and really has no business getting involved in discussing a workout supplement.

Blame the kid...blame his mom...blame the NCAA...blame GNC....blame some guy named Ben who apparently teaches speaking..

Gotta be some accountability. I guarantee you guys don't want the NCAA poking around. But, good luck and tell Ben hello.

HookedonGriz said:
jodcon said:

I tried to tell these kids no more Golden Corral. That had to be the downfall!

I too assumed it was in the gravy.

PlayerRep said:
Does anyone know how many Bison players have been tested since 2010?

If it really has been 600, isn't that a roster violation (for having had too many players on the team over that period of time)?

18 players are required to be tested before every playoff game by the NCAA. That’s how YSU and JMU both had players suspended in 2016 playoffs.

So 72 players this year alone were tested from NDSU (by an external agency) in the playoffs alone and one failed.

NDSU has played in 33 playoff games since 2010. That is 594 drug tests. One failed test.

Again, it is a completely false claim by Brock’s mom that “everyone” was taking this workout supplement.

This sucks for Brock. He’s a great kid and generally had no clue it was illegal.

Back