• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dixie State joining the FCS

Bertram

eGriz Club
DONOR
There was already was a topic (now locked) about the WAC looking to start a FCS conference. Currently most of the news on that subject revolves around Dixie State.

Coming on the heels of Friday's announcement that Dixie State Athletics is transitioning to NCAA Division I status, DSU Director of Intercollegiate Athletics Dr. Jason Boothe announced Tuesday the scheduling of three future football series against Big Sky Conference members Southern Utah, Weber State and Northern Arizona.

Weber State and Southern Utah have each scheduled a 3 game series, and Northern Arizona scheduled future 6 games (2023 -2028) with the St. George based program.

https://dixiestateathletics.com/new...ball-series-with-suu-weber-state-and-nau.aspx

Would be great for the big sky to split and some join the weak ass confernce. Would love to keep just MSU, Idaho, eastern, Weber, ISU, Portland State, Sac and Uc Davis. That would be a nice little 9 team conference with room to add 1 more if someone else fits. I would take uc Davis without Sac if we could.. but that wouldn’t happen. I wouldn’t mind ditching Cali and taking CWU....facilities are on par with Ewu

mtgrizfankb said:
Would be great for the big sky to split and some join the weak ass confernce. Would love to keep just MSU, Idaho, eastern, Weber, ISU, Portland State, Sac and Uc Davis. That would be a nice little 9 team conference with room to add 1 more if someone else fits. I would take uc Davis without Sac if we could.. but that wouldn’t happen. I wouldn’t mind ditching Cali and taking CWU....facilities are on par with Ewu

No NAU?

griznative24 said:
mtgrizfankb said:

No NAU?

I would assume if this were to happen we would want to make teams as regional as possible for travel and cost purposes. NAU would fit the WAC and area more. As would cal poly and SUU. Weber would be as far south as I would imagine them going. Ideally for the conference
Big sky:
UM
MSU
Idaho
ID St
EWU
CWU
PSU
Weber St

WAC:
NAU
CP
Sac
UC Davis
UNCO
SUU
Dixie State
Whoever else

These four already showing interest in a decent bus league.

Weber
Dix
SUU
NAU

These three don't like traveling to Montana
Poly
Davis
SAC not

This one busses to poly and Davis now

PSU

mtgrizfankb said:
griznative24 said:
mtgrizfankb said:

No NAU?

I would assume if this were to happen we would want to make teams as regional as possible for travel and cost purposes. NAU would fit the WAC and area more. As would cal poly and SUU. Weber would be as far south as I would imagine them going. Ideally for the conference
Big sky:
UM
MSU
Idaho
ID St
EWU
CWU
PSU
Weber St

WAC:
NAU
CP
Sac
UC Davis
UNCO
SUU
Dixie State
Whoever else
So you would be happy with 7 conf. games? The NCAA is unlikely to come up with another auto-bid.

griz4life said:

Weber
Dix
SUU
NAU

Poly
Davis
SAC not

PSU
I would add that the Dakotas don't like traveling to Youngstown.
Then, BSC:
UM
MSU
UI
ISU
EWU
USD
SDSU
UND
NDSU

And, WAC:
UNC
Weber
SUU
Dixie
NAU
PSU
SacSt
UCD
CPSLO

Nine each (8 conf. games), still only one auto-bid unless someone has pull with the NCAA.

kemajic said:
griz4life said:

Weber
Dix
SUU
NAU

Poly
Davis
SAC not

PSU
I would add that the Dakotas don't like traveling to Youngstown.
Then, BSC:
UM
MSU
UI
ISU
EWU
USD
SDSU
UND
NDSU

And, WAC:
UNC
Weber
SUU
Dixie
NAU
PSU
SacSt
UCD
CPSLO

Nine each (8 conf. games), still only one auto-bid unless someone has pull with the NCAA.

The MVFC isn’t going anywhere and the top teams are not gonna leave. It’s the sec of fcs. Only bottom dwellers would think about leaving. I wouldn’t mind a 7 conf game season. We easily couldn’t scheduled a WAC or MVFC team anyway so I don’t think it would be an issue. Although I wouldn’t mind taking one more and having 8 game schedule either. Just has to be someone in range of us

My posts are all nonsense from an idiot according to this board.

But an article in the Davis paper today has a big booster saying

“We are just too big, and prestigious, to stay at FCS.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggie-football-maintaining-the-lofty-perch/

Poly and Sac St will follow Davis to FBS. Davis has its eyes on the MWC and later the PAC12 but knows it need to spend time at a low level of FBS first before the MWC will accept it.

Suddenly, the Big Sky needs Dixie St and the Griz need them to survive as a conference.

UNDfan said:

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/aggie-football-maintaining-the-lofty-perch/

Poly and Sac St will follow Davis to FBS. Davis has its eyes on the MWC and later the PAC12 but knows it need to spend time at a low level of FBS first before the MWC will accept it.

Suddenly, the Big Sky needs Dixie St and the Griz need them to survive as a conference.
We can afford to lose 4.

Somebody must have pulled the plug on Egriz in Mountain time.

News of UC Davis thinking FBS seems to get a yawn out of you.

UNDfan said:

Because thinking your able to go to the FBS and actually going are 100x different. Unless your gonna go independent it’s hard to get a conference and no matter what you say. The Pac-12 and MWC are not pushing for teams right now. Especially not mid rate universities that already have basketball affiliations with other conferences. Also there is still very high possibilities that FBS as we know it, divides in the next 10 years. Football cost are increasing faster than ever before and while fcs thinks FBs is the solution. Big time FBS (P5) $$$ is gonna price too much for mid and lower FBS teams. There is a good chance we see FBS divide and then yes I can see too FCS teams morphe into this new lower fbs with regional conferences to cut costs and open markets for income(similar to fcs now).

UNDfan said:

If Davis made the move would they kick Hawaii to the curb to become a part of the MW? I was in Hawaii for 3 years during Norm Chows reign and argued Hawaii needs to canx their football program and divert those funds to its Volleyball programs. Yes, Hawaii has improved some but nothing like the Jun Jones era. It would definitely make the MW teams much happier, though they would miss out on the trip to Hawaii.

UNDfan said:

I don't know who called you an idiot. I hope it was me, because you are an idiot.

This is what the big booster said. Do you think Davis will win a couple FCS championships in the next 5-10 years. I don't. He played in 1960. He will be long gone before this happens.

"In fact, Edwards says if UCD can win a couple of FCS championships over the next five or 10 years, movement up to the Football Bowl Subdivision is within reach.

“Of course, we have to be successful at the level that we’re playing,” says the retired Saratoga developer, a 1960 football-playing Davis graduate. “We have to be at the top of the Big Sky. We do that for a while, then we probably — no, not probably — we need to go to the next level where there’s a Mountain West or a Pac-12."

mtgrizfankb said:
UNDfan said:

Because thinking your able to go to the FBS and actually going are 100x different. Unless your gonna go independent it’s hard to get a conference and no matter what you say. The Pac-12 and MWC are not pushing for teams right now. Especially not mid rate universities that already have basketball affiliations with other conferences. Also there is still very high possibilities that FBS as we know it, divides in the next 10 years. Football cost are increasing faster than ever before and while fcs thinks FBs is the solution. Big time FBS (P5) $$$ is gonna price too much for mid and lower FBS teams. There is a good chance we see FBS divide and then yes I can see too FCS teams morphe into this new lower fbs with regional conferences to cut costs and open markets for income(similar to fcs now).
You obviously don't read what I post.

UC Davis won't go FBS alone like Liberty. They will have Sac St and Poly a,d take in Southland,schools, like Sam Houston, Lamar and others and get UTRGV to commit,to,FBS.

Left with a truncated Sky, the Montana's, Idaho, EWU and Weber will take refuge in tbe Summit and also go FBS.

This so play out over the next several months as it was scripted in 2011.

evan06 said:
UNDfan said:

If Davis made the move would they kick Hawaii to the curb to become a part of the MW? I was in Hawaii for 3 years during Norm Chows reign and argued Hawaii needs to canx their football program and divert those funds to its Volleyball programs. Yes, Hawaii has improved some but nothing like the Jun Jones era. It would definitely make the MW teams much happier, though they would miss out on the trip to Hawaii.

Hawaii will be in the NFL before Davis wins a couple FCS championships and moves up. This big booster will have to figure out how he can make his donations from Heaven,

UNDfan said:

tenor.gif

Latest posts

Back