• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coaching staff shakeup in Bozeman

Colter_Nuanez56

Miller replaces Armstrong as Bobcat OC, Cole no longer at MSU
https://skylinesportsmt.com/miller-replaces-armstrong-as-bobcat-oc-cole-dismissed/

Sphincters appear to be tightening up over @ state ag. But it had nothing to do with a linebacker playing QB. :lol:

#rideuntilyougetvotedofftheisland

Strange if you ask me. He specifically brought in Cole to revamp their pass game and be a QB coach. Choate sang his praises as well as cats QBs. Then, after sticking him with a LB at QB who doesn’t pass well, they let him go for not being able to work miracles?

Spanky2 said:
He is just protecting himself. Won’t work with the Lady Pres
Probably will, IMO. But otherwise, this is just SOP, whatever you think of the Head Coach. Season is two-thirds over. "Playing the hand you got" will maybe allow you to break even the rest of the way and end with a winning record.

But MSU is ranked #91 in Total Offense, #64 in Scoring Offense. A change had to be made ... and they can't "fire" the QB/LB. So the OC has to go.

Yeah, I certainly get the feeling Cole is being forced to take the blame for being placed in a shitty situation.

Spanky2 said:
He is just protecting himself. Won’t work with the Lady Pres

Coach Choake reminds me a lllllot of Micky Mathews....JMU's ex Head Coach...always a visible ball of nerves pacing the sidelines like his job is on the line(it is)...I agree Pres Cruzado might not hesitate to upgrade her Coach with something more in line to match what has been done lately with the recent improvements of Martell's Cat-House...aka MSU's Bobcat stadium.

Keep in mind Troy Andersen was a starting QB in high school at Dillon for at least two years (maybe 3?).

He enjoyed great success there much as he is today. That is, he never could throw worth a damn, completing about half his throws... However, he is a large guy who is an extremely fast. He is an elusive runner with great football instincts. In high school and today his value has always been is in his feet not his hands.

He is proving to be about as hard to corral in the Big Sky conference as he was in Montana Class A high school football. You certainly want him on the field just not throwing your passes. Don't know if coach Miller can do anything different than coach Cole did. Use the other guy at QB while keeping Andersen in back field as a RB. I would guess this is how they'll wrap up their season.

This smells like a classic Maoist show trial. Is Coach Cole going to be lined up next to the Shit Pond and shot? Will his family be billed for the cost of the bullet? If I'm an assistant coach for bozeman state, I'm wondering, who's next?

Maybe Choate should replace himself and become recruiting coordinator or director of social media or something...

Interesting. I could have guessed that something like this might happen in the offseason, but a mid-season coaching shuffle? Cole is a respected and experienced coach. I recall some excitement about that hire from the Bobcat fans when it was announced. He was going to be the key to opening up their offense. He's been there less than a year, was given a tough QB situation, and was shown the door mid-season?

There has to be more to this story than just offensive performance.

So now does the wonder kid come in and infuse some new energy into the Cat offense, or are they just what they are at this point? I hate to say it, but I could actually see this being the shake-up that wakes up their offense enough to finish the season strong enough for a playoff birth. We'll see, I guess.

uofmman1122 said:
Yeah, I certainly get the feeling Cole is being forced to take the blame for being placed in a shitty situation.

True, but Cole is free to apply to become the Head Ball Coach if he thinks it was unfair. That's life in the NFL.

Jaredkuehn said:
Interesting. I could have guessed that something like this might happen in the offseason, but a mid-season coaching shuffle? Cole is a respected and experienced coach. I recall some excitement about that hire from the Bobcat fans when it was announced. He was going to be the key to opening up their offense. He's been there less than a year, was given a tough QB situation, and was shown the door mid-season?

So now does the wonder kid come in and infuse some new energy into the Cat offense, or are they just what they are at this point? I hate to say it, but I could actually see this being the shake-up that wakes up their offense enough to finish the season strong enough for a playoff birth. We'll see, I guess.
while i would LOVE this to be the case...i just don't see it happening. we are what we are. we have a linebacker playing qb and i think peyton manning could come coordinate the offense and it'd be what it's gonna be. that said....if we don't run troy up the middle, run troy to the right, throw a lousy pass and then punt every possession....i'll be happy.

ilovethecats said:
Jaredkuehn said:

while i would LOVE this to be the case...i just don't see it happening. we are what we are. we have a linebacker playing qb and i think peyton manning could come coordinate the offense and it'd be what it's gonna be. that said....if we don't run troy up the middle, run troy to the right, throw a lousy pass and then punt every possession....i'll be happy.

I get the frustration, but man, I swear every time I turn on a Cats game, I see TA run it up the middle for 50+ yard touchdown. When he gets loose, he looks almost impossible to tackle. A matter of perspective I guess.

Jaredkuehn said:
ilovethecats said:
Jaredkuehn said:

I get the frustration, but man, I swear every time I turn on a Cats game, I see TA run it up the middle for 50+ yard touchdown. When he gets loose, he looks almost impossible to tackle. A matter of perspective I guess.
no doubt. he's capable of going the distance every time he touches the ball. but we got 7 first downs last game. even average defenses can shut us down. i'm just more curious if this change is going to reallly be noticable when our team takes the field saturday or if we're going to pretty much look the same.

i think we're capable of winning every game we have left. but it's going to be a struggle and we'll have to see something from the offense unlike what we've been seeing all year.

Ursa Major said:
This smells like a classic Maoist show trial. Is Coach Cole going to be lined up next to the Shit Pond and shot? Will his family be billed for the cost of the bullet? If I'm an assistant coach for bozeman state, I'm wondering, who's next?

It appears that Cole mouthed off after the game Saturday. That coupled with the poor results in the passing game in which he was the coordinator. The move kind of makes sense. Will be interesting to see how Miller does. I am sure his WRs are feeling a lot better.

The Cats three losses are to top 10 teams. They are still in the playoff hunt despite the awful offense and a tough schedule.

This makes no sense, at all, unless it is simply a CYA situ.

Their passing O is abysmal, so they fire the only person on the staff who knows how to throw a forward pass?!?!?

A QB is now the RB coach, a WR is now the QB coach, and they don’t have a WR coach.

We are definitely missing something here. My bet is Cole had it out with the Ole Ball Choach. Maybe something like this:

Choach: “holy shit we can’t pass to save our lives. I mean, did you see that stat line? Like 50 yards and 2 picks! Cole, you SOB, I thought the whole point of bringing you on was to fix that. God damn it!”

Cole: “Sorry Mr. Chode, I’m not sure what you expect me to do. It’s hard to complete a pass when you literally do not have a QB.”

Choach: “God damn it, Cole! How many times must I tell you? If I give you lemons, make some Vim.”

Cole: “I think you have your metaphors mixed up. I can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit.”

**Choach Calls Prez Waded: “hey this SOB just called me “chicken shit.” I want him out of here!!

bigsky33 said:
Ursa Major said:

It appears that Cole mouthed off after the game Saturday. That coupled with the poor results in the passing game in which he was the coordinator. The move kind of makes sense. Will be interesting to see how Miller does. I am sure his WRs are feeling a lot better.

The Cats three losses are to top 10 teams. They are still in the playoff hunt despite the awful offense and a tough schedule.

It's kind of like watching professional golf and thinking someone with four holes left has time to make some birdies versus watching Gary in men's league careering it with four holes left, but knowing he has time to blast a few into some houses.

bigsky33 said:
Ursa Major said:

Depending on how both teams perform in the next 3 games, there is a possibility Cat/Griz will be for a playoff spot.

Back