• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

N. Dakota playoff problem

dayday

DONOR
I am really thinking the Big Sky gets four in but with the way N. Dakota is playing I could see them stealing our conference’s 4th spot. If that happens it deserves the conference right for letting them be a semi-big sky school this year. They should have completely booted them when they wanted to leave. Made zero sense.

If they beat weber next week they will more than likely finish 9-2. Definitely in and a BSC team likely passed over. At 8-3 who knows......

dayday said:
I am really thinking the Big Sky gets four in but with the way N. Dakota is playing I could see them stealing our conference’s 4th spot. If that happens it deserves the conference right for letting them be a semi-big sky school this year. They should have completely booted them when they wanted to leave. Made zero sense.

This is a dumb take. On short notice the rescheduling of conference games would have been a pain in the ass. Also, everyone that was scheduled to play UND would have had to find another opponent...and most likely would have just rescheduled. Of course, those BSC schools could have just beat UND and it wouldn't have been a big deal.

HookedonGriz said:
nzone said:
I believe they are eligible as an independent.

They are eligible for an at large bid, yes. And I agree they will steal one from Big Sky if it lines up that way.
"Steal" is a strange choice of words; they are doing it convincingly on the field.

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
nzone said:

They are eligible for an at large bid, yes. And I agree they will steal one from Big Sky if it lines up that way.
"Steal" is a strange choice of words; they are doing it convincingly on the field.

Looks like NDSU is going to steal another slot from the Big Sky again this year.

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
nzone said:

I agree Kem, I should have said “earn”

There are 8 seeds & 16 @ large bids for the tourney with 11 auto-bids for conference championships. If they win out - they will have earned that @ large spot & based on how crazy the results have been this last couple of weeks, maybe a seed - particularly if they have an impressive win against Weebs.

I'm betting they get overlooked this year, this type of bigotry is common if you're part of the Dakota Four. :|

BlondHopefulJunebug-size_restricted.gif

bgbigdog said:
There are 8 seeds & 16 @ large bids for the tourney with 11 auto-bids for conference championships. If they win out - they will have earned that @ large spot & based on how crazy the results have been this last couple of weeks, maybe a seed - particularly if they have an impressive win against Weebs.
Similar teams, but UND has a far better QB.

Ifsomehow griz finished 8-3 (not happening ) and ND 8-3. They should get a spot ahead of the Griz....they kicked the Griz ass head to head

So you’re saying that the “at large bid” they get is automatically the Big Sky Confernece’s? I’d agree if the teams they played, beat them but they’re not. There’s always talk about how poor the quality of the last teams in are. So why would you want to fill a spot with a weaker team just because it’s from the Big Sky? Makes zero sense from a competition standpoint.

grizindabox said:
dayday said:

This is a dumb take. On short notice the rescheduling of conference games would have been a pain in the ass. Also, everyone that was scheduled to play UND would have had to find another opponent...and most likely would have just rescheduled. Of course, those BSC schools could have just beat UND and it wouldn't have been a big deal.
:lol: :clap:

For all intents and purposes they are a Big Sky team still. Just can’t win the auto-bid. The best at-large teams get in regardless of conference affiliation.

Grizzly Oredigger said:
For all intents and purposes they are a Big Sky team still. Just can’t win the auto-bid. The best at-large teams get in regardless of conference affiliation.
Not entirely true, as there have been times when an Ivy school deserved a playoff berth (potentially Princeton or Dartmouth this year), but are excluded because of conference affiliation.

grizband said:
Grizzly Oredigger said:
Not entirely true, as there have been times when an Ivy school deserved a playoff berth (potentially Princeton or Dartmouth this year), but are excluded because of conference affiliation.

That is because as a conference they have decided that the Ivy League teams will not participate in the post season therefore the committee does not consider them.

Back