The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
hilinegrizfan
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:04 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by hilinegrizfan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:51 am

MiningCityGrizFan wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:08 pm
The called handoff to a TE on the goal line.

The Griz were set up to make it a 7-point game, but for some unexplained reason, with a senior RB who has scored 26 TDs as a Grizzly (many in short-yardage, goal-line situations), the coaches decide to give the ball to Collin Bingham. A tight end who had never taken a handoff before then. At least not in college.

He subsequently fumbles and ND marches 98 yards to go up 21-0.

I get that Calhoun was in the doghouse to start the season because of the fight and the subsequent legal problems, but the kid has paid his dues. The staff put him on the 2-deep. He was flown to the game. He was ready to go.

SO WHY IN THE HELL DIDN'T ROSENBACH JUST HAVE HIS QB HAND THE BALL TO THE EXPERIENCED, VETERAN SENIOR RUNNING BACK?! WHY DID HE ONCE AGAIN HAVE TO GET CUTE (I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT THAT FAILED 2-PT CONVERSION LAST WEEK).

COACH HAUCK -- CAN YOU PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP WITH THE PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE COACHING BULLS**T, STOP WITH THE HEAD GAMES, STOP PLAYING FAVORITES, START PUTTING YOUR BEST GOD D**N PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AND GIVE THEM THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE?!
I agree with this post 100%.

PlayerRep
Posts: 24402
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by PlayerRep » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 am

ordigger wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:49 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:19 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:13 pm


The fact remains that Sneed has a higher passing percentage than Jensen had last year and has this year, a higher passing percentage than Humphrey yesterday and this year, and is a much better runner than both of them. Apparently, a very good leader too.
You continue to spout this “higher passing percentage” stat. If only that were an indicator of games won. There’s lies, damned lies and then there’s statistics. That’s one of those. I’ll take 5/8 for 143 and 2 TD’s over a 67% pass completion percentage with an average gain of EIGHT yards.

Next man up. Especially if he’s hobbled. That takes away his ONLY legit advantage he brings to the table over Humphrey. Because passing ability surely ain’t it.
Let's get all of what I have been saying: Higher passing percentage this year than Jensen and higher than Jensen last year, fewer interceptions, much better runner, faster, and better leader, including being elected captain after having been at UM for 8 months or so.

Three other factors for my thinking Sneed is better are: my observations, talking to the UM coaches, and talking to the dad of a starting receiver early in the season.

What are the views of people like you and Mining based on?
In the end, it’s your opinion, the coaches opinion, and the dad of a starting receivers opinion. Opinions are not factual in nature. I’m quite sure Gresch is more than happy where is career is going. Of course that is simply my option. And my opinion means nothing more that your opinion, the coaches opinion or the dad of the revievers opinion. In the end, my opinion is that’s opinions are simply opinions, and mean nothing. :)
I'm surprised you are an "everyone gets a ribbon guy", i.e. that all opinions are equal. I don't agree with that at all. I think the opinions of guys like Saban and Hauck mean more on football than most others.

If you had heart problems, would you think all opinions are equal, so there would be no reason to listen to your heart doctor.

Jeez, the opinions of experts and knowledgeable people carry more weight than others, and should.

PlayerRep
Posts: 24402
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by PlayerRep » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am

AZGrizFan wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:19 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:13 pm


The fact remains that Sneed has a higher passing percentage than Jensen had last year and has this year, a higher passing percentage than Humphrey yesterday and this year, and is a much better runner than both of them. Apparently, a very good leader too.
You continue to spout this “higher passing percentage” stat. If only that were an indicator of games won. There’s lies, damned lies and then there’s statistics. That’s one of those. I’ll take 5/8 for 143 and 2 TD’s over a 67% pass completion percentage with an average gain of EIGHT yards.

Next man up. Especially if he’s hobbled. That takes away his ONLY legit advantage he brings to the table over Humphrey. Because passing ability surely ain’t it.
Let's get all of what I have been saying: Higher passing percentage this year than Jensen and higher than Jensen last year, fewer interceptions, much better runner, faster, and better leader, including being elected captain after having been at UM for 8 months or so.

Three other factors for my thinking Sneed is better are: my observations, talking to the UM coaches, and talking to the dad of a starting receiver early in the season.

What are the views of people like you and Mining based on?
In-game performance. Case closed.
So, you don't believe that Sneed has a higher passing percentage than Jensen, and fewer interceptions per game than Jensen had last year? And that's based on in-game performance.

Funny that someone who doesn't live in Missoula and attends almost no games in person, would be so knowledgeable about in-game performance. You are a good example of someone who thinks a keyboard makes him an expert.

hilinegrizfan
Posts: 372
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:04 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by hilinegrizfan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:17 am

PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am
AZGrizFan wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:19 pm


You continue to spout this “higher passing percentage” stat. If only that were an indicator of games won. There’s lies, damned lies and then there’s statistics. That’s one of those. I’ll take 5/8 for 143 and 2 TD’s over a 67% pass completion percentage with an average gain of EIGHT yards.

Next man up. Especially if he’s hobbled. That takes away his ONLY legit advantage he brings to the table over Humphrey. Because passing ability surely ain’t it.
Let's get all of what I have been saying: Higher passing percentage this year than Jensen and higher than Jensen last year, fewer interceptions, much better runner, faster, and better leader, including being elected captain after having been at UM for 8 months or so.

Three other factors for my thinking Sneed is better are: my observations, talking to the UM coaches, and talking to the dad of a starting receiver early in the season.

What are the views of people like you and Mining based on?
In-game performance. Case closed.
So, you don't believe that Sneed has a higher passing percentage than Jensen, and fewer interceptions per game than Jensen had last year? And that's based on in-game performance.

Funny that someone who doesn't live in Missoula and attends almost no games in person, would be so knowledgeable about in-game performance. You are a good example of someone who thinks a keyboard makes him an expert.
Sneeds current passing stats may be better on paper, but that doesn't necessarily make him a better passer. I like Sneed and I think he is the best fit for what we need to do right now (avoid sacks), but most people will tell you Gresch's mechanics and throwing accuracy is much better. It seems to me the majority of Sneed's passes are short yardage curls and out routes. And I understand that is most likely due to a game plan that requires getting the ball out early. Gresch was looking downfield a lot more, stretching the defense out and taking bigger risks on deeper throws. . . Except for the 20 bubble screen passes per game Stitt made him throw... My point is, its tough to compare the two and say one is better than the other. each has their strengths and weaknesses.

HookedonGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 6872
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by HookedonGriz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 am

MiningCityGrizFan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:54 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 pm
MiningCityGrizFan wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:08 pm
The called handoff to a TE on the goal line.

The Griz were set up to make it a 7-point game, but for some unexplained reason, with a senior RB who has scored 26 TDs as a Grizzly (many in short-yardage, goal-line situations), the coaches decide to give the ball to Collin Bingham. A tight end who had never taken a handoff before then. At least not in college.

He subsequently fumbles and ND marches 98 yards to go up 21-0.

I get that Calhoun was in the doghouse to start the season because of the fight and the subsequent legal problems, but the kid has paid his dues. The staff put him on the 2-deep. They flew him to ND and dressed him out. He was ready to go.

SO WHY IN THE HELL DIDN'T ROSENBACH JUST HAVE HIS QB HAND THE BALL TO THE EXPERIENCED, VETERAN SENIOR RUNNING BACK?! WHY DID HE ONCE AGAIN HAVE TO GET CUTE (I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT THAT FAILED 2-PT CONVERSION LAST WEEK).

COACH HAUCK -- CAN YOU PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP WITH THE PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE COACHING BULLS**T, STOP WITH THE HEAD GAMES, STOP PLAYING FAVORITES, START PUTTING YOUR BEST GOD D**N PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AND GIVE THEM THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE?!
Mining,

What is the passive-aggressive play calling?

What are the head games?

Where is Hauck playing favorites?

Who are the best players not getting the field?

Can't wait to see your response. Thanks in advance.
Not passive-aggressive play calling, passive-aggressive coaching.

I was specifically referring to the way they are destroying Jeremy Calhoun's senior season. The kid got into trouble over the off-season, ended up suspended for the first three games. Finally has a chance to play against Sac State and ends up taking a shot.



Despite the shot he takes (I still think it was targeting), he appeared okay and was seen on video celebrating with his team in the locker room.



He is not allowed to make the trip to Cal Poly -- he's from SoCal, so that was the last game many of his family and friends would get to come and see him play in because he's a senior.

He doesn't play at all versus Portland State -- Homecoming game his senior year.

He makes the two-deep for the North Dakota game and is left on the bench in a goal-line situation despite having scored more touchdowns than any other player wearing a Griz helmet that day and has to watch a TE fumble a hand-off he's taken 10,000 during his career.

All of this is what I consider to be passive-aggressive coaching.

Forcing a senior RB to watch as you call a goal-line running play to a TE who has never taken a hand-off before, that is a clear example of what I consider to be a head game.

And for those of you saying Bingham probably practiced that play before, so it wasn't a cute play -- I disagree (shocker, right?). I coached dozens of young players on how to receive a handoff over the years. If they've never taken a hand-off before, they tend to want to grab for the ball rather than allow it to be placed in their gut.

That's the key coaching point you reinforce with the handoff drills.

Unfortunately, when I watched that play yesterday, Bingham appears to reach for the ball rather than allow Sneed to complete the handoff and not surprisingly, it led to a fumble. That tells me that he wasn't prepared to be taking that handoff in that situation and it's on the coaches for putting him in that position.


As for the playing favorites and best players not getting on the field.

I would again say Eastwood playing over Calhoun at running back is a clear sign of favoritism. With his size, ability, and experience, there is no question in my mind that Calhoun should have been in on that goal-line play.

I think the fact that he is a Stitt guy has played into his role on this team or lack thereof. Another example of the passive-aggressive coaching I alluded to earlier.

The biggest favorite though is Sneed. He should have been taken out and kept out against PSU. Humphrey came in that game and led the best drive of the day in the 2nd quarter. He didn't score, but it was his first meaningful game action as Griz. I was excited to see what he'd do in his second series. Plus, there was finally life in the team and some excitement in the stadium. For some unexplained reason though, Sneed was out there again the very next offensive series.

I take that last part back. It's not unexplained. It's favoritism.

And what's worse, when you see how well Gresch is doing, they have a lot riding on Sneed's success. If you are following him, it's pretty obvious he's going to end up at a major FBS school. Which means that Hauck and company will have to explain why they let that level of talent walk in favor of a kid who clearly struggles to consistently complete downfield throws.

So it appears that they are going to play Sneed and won't take him out until the team is struggling because they need him to be successful for their own credibility.

For the record, this is nothing personal about Sneed. I admittedly am still bothered by how Jensen was treated, but that ship has sailed. And I don't blame Sneed for that, I blame Rosenbach and to a lesser degree Hauck because I believe there was some animosity towards Stitt, and Gresch was Stitt's guy. I believe the passive-aggressive head games and favoritism towards Sneed are the reason Gresch ultimately left.

Again, this isn't about Gresch. He's on to bigger and better things. No, this is about the players on the team now. Specifically, the talent the Griz have at the skill positions that don't complement Sneed's strengths as a QB. The fact is that Sneed is a tremendous athlete, but very average QB.

There are a number of different packages that Rosey could develop for Sneed so that he could allow him to contribute in the right situations. But with the way this offensive unit is built, especially with a young OL, Sneed as a full-time starter is now a liability.

Teams have a blueprint on how to beat Sneed. They don't have to defend the long ball; they can bring up the safeties to key on the run, overwhelm the line, and take away the short passing game. And truth be told, Sneed lacks touch on his short passes as well.

His struggles led to UM losing the time of possession battles, which forces the defense to play way too much. Dante is a stud, but the defense playing 2/3rds of every game is one of the reasons why he's leading the nation in tackles.

As the season goes on, the defense will inevitably wear down. Do you want to watch Troy Anderson run all over a worn down Grizzly defense (coming off two straight road games) next month?

I sure as hell don't.

Humphrey should be starting against UC Davis coming out of the bye week. The Griz offense will have two full weeks to prepare with Cam taking the majority of the snaps with the ones. That will confuse Davis because they have virtually zero film on Cam -- similar to the advantage Sneed had over UNI.

Best of all, it will force teams to respect the long ball for the rest of the season. That will prevent defenses from keying on the run. It will open up the running lanes and allow Rosey to begin mixing the play and the pass.

That's precisely what he did yesterday with the last TD to Sammy. It was a play action that worked because they overplayed the run and forgot that a QB was in the game that could make the throw over the top.

Best of all, it will keep the Griz defense from having to play almost 40 minutes a game.

Alright, as usual, my post is way too long, but those are my thoughts...
Great post and I find myself agreeing with pretty much all of it. I stated it earlier that PSU showed the recipe on how to stop Sneed and the offense and UND exploited it even further. Moving forward, ever DC has to be licking their chops to face the O with this recipe.

User avatar
ordigger
eGriz Club
Posts: 4559
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:54 am
Location: Wandering

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by ordigger » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:47 am

PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:55 am
ordigger wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:49 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:19 pm


You continue to spout this “higher passing percentage” stat. If only that were an indicator of games won. There’s lies, damned lies and then there’s statistics. That’s one of those. I’ll take 5/8 for 143 and 2 TD’s over a 67% pass completion percentage with an average gain of EIGHT yards.

Next man up. Especially if he’s hobbled. That takes away his ONLY legit advantage he brings to the table over Humphrey. Because passing ability surely ain’t it.
Let's get all of what I have been saying: Higher passing percentage this year than Jensen and higher than Jensen last year, fewer interceptions, much better runner, faster, and better leader, including being elected captain after having been at UM for 8 months or so.

Three other factors for my thinking Sneed is better are: my observations, talking to the UM coaches, and talking to the dad of a starting receiver early in the season.

What are the views of people like you and Mining based on?
In the end, it’s your opinion, the coaches opinion, and the dad of a starting receivers opinion. Opinions are not factual in nature. I’m quite sure Gresch is more than happy where is career is going. Of course that is simply my option. And my opinion means nothing more that your opinion, the coaches opinion or the dad of the revievers opinion. In the end, my opinion is that’s opinions are simply opinions, and mean nothing. :)
I'm surprised you are an "everyone gets a ribbon guy", i.e. that all opinions are equal. I don't agree with that at all. I think the opinions of guys like Saban and Hauck mean more on football than most others.

If you had heart problems, would you think all opinions are equal, so there would be no reason to listen to your heart doctor.

Jeez, the opinions of experts and knowledgeable people carry more weight than others, and should.
Never said they didn’t. They are just opinions. Lol. Humor me.

And don’t forget, bias can affect opinions. In my opinion, TR showed extreme bias towards Gresch, so his opinion, in my opinion, carries less weight. The receivers father may also be biased, based on who that father is. If it’s Germer’s father, he could be biased for example. As for you, I enjoy your opinions, although we don’t always agree.

User avatar
Ursa Major
eGriz Club
Posts: 8701
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by Ursa Major » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:04 am

HookedonGriz wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:45 am
MiningCityGrizFan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:54 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:11 pm
MiningCityGrizFan wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:08 pm
The called handoff to a TE on the goal line.

The Griz were set up to make it a 7-point game, but for some unexplained reason, with a senior RB who has scored 26 TDs as a Grizzly (many in short-yardage, goal-line situations), the coaches decide to give the ball to Collin Bingham. A tight end who had never taken a handoff before then. At least not in college.

He subsequently fumbles and ND marches 98 yards to go up 21-0.

I get that Calhoun was in the doghouse to start the season because of the fight and the subsequent legal problems, but the kid has paid his dues. The staff put him on the 2-deep. They flew him to ND and dressed him out. He was ready to go.

SO WHY IN THE HELL DIDN'T ROSENBACH JUST HAVE HIS QB HAND THE BALL TO THE EXPERIENCED, VETERAN SENIOR RUNNING BACK?! WHY DID HE ONCE AGAIN HAVE TO GET CUTE (I'M STILL PISSED ABOUT THAT FAILED 2-PT CONVERSION LAST WEEK).

COACH HAUCK -- CAN YOU PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE STOP WITH THE PASSIVE AGGRESSIVE COACHING BULLS**T, STOP WITH THE HEAD GAMES, STOP PLAYING FAVORITES, START PUTTING YOUR BEST GOD D**N PLAYERS ON THE FIELD AND GIVE THEM THE BEST OPPORTUNITY TO COMPETE?!
Mining,

What is the passive-aggressive play calling?

What are the head games?

Where is Hauck playing favorites?

Who are the best players not getting the field?

Can't wait to see your response. Thanks in advance.
Not passive-aggressive play calling, passive-aggressive coaching.

I was specifically referring to the way they are destroying Jeremy Calhoun's senior season. The kid got into trouble over the off-season, ended up suspended for the first three games. Finally has a chance to play against Sac State and ends up taking a shot.



Despite the shot he takes (I still think it was targeting), he appeared okay and was seen on video celebrating with his team in the locker room.



He is not allowed to make the trip to Cal Poly -- he's from SoCal, so that was the last game many of his family and friends would get to come and see him play in because he's a senior.

He doesn't play at all versus Portland State -- Homecoming game his senior year.

He makes the two-deep for the North Dakota game and is left on the bench in a goal-line situation despite having scored more touchdowns than any other player wearing a Griz helmet that day and has to watch a TE fumble a hand-off he's taken 10,000 during his career.

All of this is what I consider to be passive-aggressive coaching.

Forcing a senior RB to watch as you call a goal-line running play to a TE who has never taken a hand-off before, that is a clear example of what I consider to be a head game.

And for those of you saying Bingham probably practiced that play before, so it wasn't a cute play -- I disagree (shocker, right?). I coached dozens of young players on how to receive a handoff over the years. If they've never taken a hand-off before, they tend to want to grab for the ball rather than allow it to be placed in their gut.

That's the key coaching point you reinforce with the handoff drills.

Unfortunately, when I watched that play yesterday, Bingham appears to reach for the ball rather than allow Sneed to complete the handoff and not surprisingly, it led to a fumble. That tells me that he wasn't prepared to be taking that handoff in that situation and it's on the coaches for putting him in that position.


As for the playing favorites and best players not getting on the field.

I would again say Eastwood playing over Calhoun at running back is a clear sign of favoritism. With his size, ability, and experience, there is no question in my mind that Calhoun should have been in on that goal-line play.

I think the fact that he is a Stitt guy has played into his role on this team or lack thereof. Another example of the passive-aggressive coaching I alluded to earlier.

The biggest favorite though is Sneed. He should have been taken out and kept out against PSU. Humphrey came in that game and led the best drive of the day in the 2nd quarter. He didn't score, but it was his first meaningful game action as Griz. I was excited to see what he'd do in his second series. Plus, there was finally life in the team and some excitement in the stadium. For some unexplained reason though, Sneed was out there again the very next offensive series.

I take that last part back. It's not unexplained. It's favoritism.

And what's worse, when you see how well Gresch is doing, they have a lot riding on Sneed's success. If you are following him, it's pretty obvious he's going to end up at a major FBS school. Which means that Hauck and company will have to explain why they let that level of talent walk in favor of a kid who clearly struggles to consistently complete downfield throws.

So it appears that they are going to play Sneed and won't take him out until the team is struggling because they need him to be successful for their own credibility.

For the record, this is nothing personal about Sneed. I admittedly am still bothered by how Jensen was treated, but that ship has sailed. And I don't blame Sneed for that, I blame Rosenbach and to a lesser degree Hauck because I believe there was some animosity towards Stitt, and Gresch was Stitt's guy. I believe the passive-aggressive head games and favoritism towards Sneed are the reason Gresch ultimately left.

Again, this isn't about Gresch. He's on to bigger and better things. No, this is about the players on the team now. Specifically, the talent the Griz have at the skill positions that don't complement Sneed's strengths as a QB. The fact is that Sneed is a tremendous athlete, but very average QB.

There are a number of different packages that Rosey could develop for Sneed so that he could allow him to contribute in the right situations. But with the way this offensive unit is built, especially with a young OL, Sneed as a full-time starter is now a liability.

Teams have a blueprint on how to beat Sneed. They don't have to defend the long ball; they can bring up the safeties to key on the run, overwhelm the line, and take away the short passing game. And truth be told, Sneed lacks touch on his short passes as well.

His struggles led to UM losing the time of possession battles, which forces the defense to play way too much. Dante is a stud, but the defense playing 2/3rds of every game is one of the reasons why he's leading the nation in tackles.

As the season goes on, the defense will inevitably wear down. Do you want to watch Troy Anderson run all over a worn down Grizzly defense (coming off two straight road games) next month?

I sure as hell don't.

Humphrey should be starting against UC Davis coming out of the bye week. The Griz offense will have two full weeks to prepare with Cam taking the majority of the snaps with the ones. That will confuse Davis because they have virtually zero film on Cam -- similar to the advantage Sneed had over UNI.

Best of all, it will force teams to respect the long ball for the rest of the season. That will prevent defenses from keying on the run. It will open up the running lanes and allow Rosey to begin mixing the play and the pass.

That's precisely what he did yesterday with the last TD to Sammy. It was a play action that worked because they overplayed the run and forgot that a QB was in the game that could make the throw over the top.

Best of all, it will keep the Griz defense from having to play almost 40 minutes a game.

Alright, as usual, my post is way too long, but those are my thoughts...
Great post and I find myself agreeing with pretty much all of it. I stated it earlier that PSU showed the recipe on how to stop Sneed and the offense and UND exploited it even further. Moving forward, ever DC has to be licking their chops to face the O with this recipe.
I’m with Hooked, very well written and thoughtful post Mining! Moving forward, I’m hopeful that our coaching staff can adjust, improvise and overcome. You can get away with a lot of shit when you’re winning, you run the risk of losing a team when you’re not.
Post Like A Champion!

Mousegriz
Posts: 1169
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:14 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by Mousegriz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am

...the Dad of a starting receiver's opinion....an obvious "expert and knowledgeable person!"

...your observation....???? (Practices or games?)

...Saban? ....When has he ever evaluated Sneed and Jensen?

...UM Coaches?....The ones who brought in and gave their favorite son the starting job? And now sit at 4 - 3 with no "good" wins, and the 2 most embarrassing back to back losses in at least 40 years?

MikeyGriz
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:35 am
Location: Billings, MT

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by MikeyGriz » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:30 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:24 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:23 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:20 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:19 pm


Is Sneed still a much better runner with a quad injury?
Yes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Like I said. Not an objective bone in your body.
One of the most objective posters on egriz, if I do say so myself.
You're the only one with that opinion. How do you ever find the time to tear yourself away from the mirror in order to post here?

Griz#64
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by Griz#64 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:12 am

Sometimes coaches wake up in the middle of the night and come up with this great idea. since we are having a problem with 3rd and short, hell lets move a big tight end into the fullback slot and just overpower them. Well, if it is an experiment, how bout having a game time test run, on 2nd and short of even third and short somewhere between the 40's. Not sure I would have a test run, down 2, and really need to change the momentum, with the ball on the 2. But hell, when you get as old as me, you know everything about everything. just wait and see. Go Griz 4-3

PlayerRep
Posts: 24402
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:21 am

MikeyGriz wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:30 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:24 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:23 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:20 pm


Yes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Like I said. Not an objective bone in your body.
One of the most objective posters on egriz, if I do say so myself.
You're the only one with that opinion. How do you ever find the time to tear yourself away from the mirror in order to post here?
I don't look in the mirror.

PlayerRep
Posts: 24402
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 am

Mousegriz wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am
...the Dad of a starting receiver's opinion....an obvious "expert and knowledgeable person!"

...your observation....???? (Practices or games?)

...Saban? ....When has he ever evaluated Sneed and Jensen?

...UM Coaches?....The ones who brought in and gave their favorite son the starting job? And now sit at 4 - 3 with no "good" wins, and the 2 most embarrassing back to back losses in at least 40 years?
A parent of a starting receiver is a very good person to evaluate a qb.

Yes, practices, scrimmages and games. And tape.

Just said Saban is a football expert. Do you not agree? Do you think your football opinion is more valuable than or equal to Saban?

Sneed earned the starting job. Sneed has looked good, or very good, or pretty good, in all games except PSU. Humprhey seems to be good too. UNI was a good win. UNI is the no. 4 rated team in the Sagarin. No shame in losing to Iowa, NDSU and UM.

Mousegriz
Posts: 1169
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:14 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by Mousegriz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:04 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 am
Mousegriz wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am
...the Dad of a starting receiver's opinion....an obvious "expert and knowledgeable person!"

...your observation....???? (Practices or games?)

...Saban? ....When has he ever evaluated Sneed and Jensen?

...UM Coaches?....The ones who brought in and gave their favorite son the starting job? And now sit at 4 - 3 with no "good" wins, and the 2 most embarrassing back to back losses in at least 40 years?
A parent of a starting receiver is a very good person to evaluate a qb.

I disagree. How many QB's has this parent evaluated? Is every parent of every starting receiver at every school a very good person to evaluate a QB?

Yes, practices, scrimmages and games. And tape.

Tape? Who wound it on the projector for ya?

Just said Saban is a football expert. Do you not agree? Do you think your football opinion is more valuable than or equal to Saban?

Totally agree. Saban is a FB expert. He's "very good", "pretty good" and even "good" all rolled into one. He even had one of our new QB's on his team last year! That must be why you mentioned Saban in this post about UM's team.

Sneed earned the starting job. Sneed has looked good, or very good, or pretty good, in all games except PSU. Humprhey seems to be good too. UNI was a good win. UNI is the no. 4 rated team in the Sagarin. No shame in losing to Iowa, NDSU and UM.

I'm no expert, but I'd say Sneed didn't look "good" or "very good" or "pretty good" vs. UND last week. Love the way you use that "very good" "good" or "pretty good" type reference in so many posts. Then if someone later questions you.....you've covered all the bases.

OK you're right...Northern Iowa was a "very good" "pretty good" or maybe even "good" win. Too bad it was so long ago when they weren't as "pretty good" "good" or "very good" as they might be now. Of course back then the Griz were almost "pretty good" "good" or "very good" too!

PlayerRep
Posts: 24402
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Mousegriz wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:04 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:28 am
Mousegriz wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:08 am
...the Dad of a starting receiver's opinion....an obvious "expert and knowledgeable person!"

...your observation....???? (Practices or games?)

...Saban? ....When has he ever evaluated Sneed and Jensen?

...UM Coaches?....The ones who brought in and gave their favorite son the starting job? And now sit at 4 - 3 with no "good" wins, and the 2 most embarrassing back to back losses in at least 40 years?
A parent of a starting receiver is a very good person to evaluate a qb.

I disagree. How many QB's has this parent evaluated? Is every parent of every starting receiver at every school a very good person to evaluate a QB?

Yes, practices, scrimmages and games. And tape.

Tape? Who wound it on the projector for ya?

Just said Saban is a football expert. Do you not agree? Do you think your football opinion is more valuable than or equal to Saban?

Totally agree. Saban is a FB expert. He's "very good", "pretty good" and even "good" all rolled into one. He even had one of our new QB's on his team last year! That must be why you mentioned Saban in this post about UM's team.

Sneed earned the starting job. Sneed has looked good, or very good, or pretty good, in all games except PSU. Humprhey seems to be good too. UNI was a good win. UNI is the no. 4 rated team in the Sagarin. No shame in losing to Iowa, NDSU and UM.

I'm no expert, but I'd say Sneed didn't look "good" or "very good" or "pretty good" vs. UND last week. Love the way you use that "very good" "good" or "pretty good" type reference in so many posts. Then if someone later questions you.....you've covered all the bases.

OK you're right...Northern Iowa was a "very good" "pretty good" or maybe even "good" win. Too bad it was so long ago when they weren't as "pretty good" "good" or "very good" as they might be now. Of course back then the Griz were almost "pretty good" "good" or "very good" too!
The parent has been a football coach, so has evaluated lots of QB's. Also, the "evaluation" from a parent comes from his son and other players, as well as coaches. Kids on teams know who the best players are, and certainly a receiver knows who the best qb is. Are you just wanting to disagree, or do you really believe what you are saying?

The UM video people and coaches do the "tape".

No, I mentioned Saban because he's a great coach.

25-38-1 is pretty good in my book.

I mentioned all of those terms, because I was discussing the season. I was talking about Sneed.

Are you going to say that UNI, the 4th rated Sagarin team, with loses to Iowa and NDSU isn't very good?

You may want to stay on the hoops board. Assume you know something about hoops. You don't know how to read the Red Book to see if someone has lettered, tho.

User avatar
AZGrizFan
eGriz Club
Posts: 23642
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2005 5:34 pm
Location: Texas

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by AZGrizFan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am
AZGrizFan wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 pm
AZGrizFan wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:19 pm


You continue to spout this “higher passing percentage” stat. If only that were an indicator of games won. There’s lies, damned lies and then there’s statistics. That’s one of those. I’ll take 5/8 for 143 and 2 TD’s over a 67% pass completion percentage with an average gain of EIGHT yards.

Next man up. Especially if he’s hobbled. That takes away his ONLY legit advantage he brings to the table over Humphrey. Because passing ability surely ain’t it.
Let's get all of what I have been saying: Higher passing percentage this year than Jensen and higher than Jensen last year, fewer interceptions, much better runner, faster, and better leader, including being elected captain after having been at UM for 8 months or so.

Three other factors for my thinking Sneed is better are: my observations, talking to the UM coaches, and talking to the dad of a starting receiver early in the season.

What are the views of people like you and Mining based on?
In-game performance. Case closed.
So, you don't believe that Sneed has a higher passing percentage than Jensen, and fewer interceptions per game than Jensen had last year? And that's based on in-game performance.

Funny that someone who doesn't live in Missoula and attends almost no games in person, would be so knowledgeable about in-game performance. You are a good example of someone who thinks a keyboard makes him an expert.
I'm not talking about Jensen. Reading is fundamental. I'm talking about Humphrey. That's why I quoted HIS stats and not Jensen's. Jensen is gone. Why do you keep talking about him?

And I don't think my keyboard makes me an expert. It's my eyes that make me an expert.
Guns kill people like spoons make you fat.

PlayerRep
Posts: 24402
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:41 pm

AZGrizFan wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:52 pm
PlayerRep wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am
AZGrizFan wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:14 am
PlayerRep wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:55 pm


Let's get all of what I have been saying: Higher passing percentage this year than Jensen and higher than Jensen last year, fewer interceptions, much better runner, faster, and better leader, including being elected captain after having been at UM for 8 months or so.

Three other factors for my thinking Sneed is better are: my observations, talking to the UM coaches, and talking to the dad of a starting receiver early in the season.

What are the views of people like you and Mining based on?
In-game performance. Case closed.
So, you don't believe that Sneed has a higher passing percentage than Jensen, and fewer interceptions per game than Jensen had last year? And that's based on in-game performance.

Funny that someone who doesn't live in Missoula and attends almost no games in person, would be so knowledgeable about in-game performance. You are a good example of someone who thinks a keyboard makes him an expert.
I'm not talking about Jensen. Reading is fundamental. I'm talking about Humphrey. That's why I quoted HIS stats and not Jensen's. Jensen is gone. Why do you keep talking about him?

And I don't think my keyboard makes me an expert. It's my eyes that make me an expert.
Because I have been comparing Sneed to Jensen all along. Perhaps you should read and follow what I have been addressing.

Humphrey doesn't have enough game time and data for a valid comparison. His limited data of completion percentage is that he is below Sneed for the season and below Sneed for the UND game. He had some nice throws. He had 2 bad throws. I liked what I saw. As I said before, I'm not going to complain no matter who the coaches pick as the starter. Seems to me that 2 former NFL qb's and Hauck should be able to evaluate the situation and figure this out.

Mousegriz
Posts: 1169
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:14 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by Mousegriz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:34 pm

25 - 38 (0 points in about 3 quarters) - 1 (yes, one pick that turned into 7 points). It effectively ended the game based Sneed's scoring production for the day a couple minutes in and before many figured out what channel the game was on! That is isn't pretty good, good or very good. "Completion percentage" don't score points or win games!. His one pick led to more points than he produced.

You said "A parent of a starting receiver is a very good person to evaluate QB's". I disagreed based on that statement.

I've got one for you, "A parent of a second string receiver is a very good person to evaluate receivers." And in his estimation his kid should be starting dammit! Move that starter's Dad you know down to 2nd string! He'll quit evaluating QB's and become "very good" at evaluating WR's!

PlayerRep
Posts: 24402
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by PlayerRep » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:40 pm

Mousegriz wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:34 pm
25 - 38 (0 points in about 3 quarters) - 1 (yes, one pick that turned into 7 points). It effectively ended the game based Sneed's scoring production for the day a couple minutes in and before many figured out what channel the game was on! That is isn't pretty good, good or very good. "Completion percentage" don't score points or win games!. His one pick led to more points than he produced.

You said "A parent of a starting receiver is a very good person to evaluate QB's". I disagreed based on that statement.

I've got one for you, "A parent of a second string receiver is a very good person to evaluate receivers." And in his estimation his kid should be starting dammit! Move that starter's Dad you know down to 2nd string! He'll quit evaluating QB's and become "very good" at evaluating WR's!
25-38 is pretty good, especially when qb is under pressure and being rushed.

A parent of a receiver who isn't starting is probably not a good evaluator of receivers.

horribilisfan8184
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:08 am

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by horribilisfan8184 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:53 pm

PlayerRep wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:40 pm
Mousegriz wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:34 pm
25 - 38 (0 points in about 3 quarters) - 1 (yes, one pick that turned into 7 points). It effectively ended the game based Sneed's scoring production for the day a couple minutes in and before many figured out what channel the game was on! That is isn't pretty good, good or very good. "Completion percentage" don't score points or win games!. His one pick led to more points than he produced.

You said "A parent of a starting receiver is a very good person to evaluate QB's". I disagreed based on that statement.

I've got one for you, "A parent of a second string receiver is a very good person to evaluate receivers." And in his estimation his kid should be starting dammit! Move that starter's Dad you know down to 2nd string! He'll quit evaluating QB's and become "very good" at evaluating WR's!
25-38 is pretty good, especially when qb is under pressure and being rushed.

A parent of a receiver who isn't starting is probably not a good evaluator of receivers.
Oh yes, the parent's skill at everything is dependent upon how well the kid is doing on the position depth chart. No wonder I could never judge my kid's band teacher, my daughter never made first clarinet.
If I thought you were serious I'd suggest a Logic 101 refresher.

Griz#64
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:18 pm

Re: The First-Quarter Play Call That Lost The Game Was...

Post by Griz#64 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:02 pm

Christ sakes Guys: Jensen is gone. I am just happy that Humphrey is a quality Back.up if Sneed is injured... Have you seen the situation the Cats are in?? Rovig is down, Maybe they a have a Defensive tackle that can come in if TA goes south. Hell the Bobcat enshrined hero Sonny Holland may be able to Have another year of eligibility. Go Griz

Post Reply