• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: 2 days late!

BWahlberg

DONOR
Alright Griz fans, we’re 2 days removed from a big road win and I’m just getting my post game thoughts up. Typing this up on the notepad from my phone, so I’m going to keep it shorter this time around. I’m in Oregon for a friend’s wedding, hence the late post and short(er) version.

There’s a lot to unpack from this win, here’s my summary of main takeaways;

- The offensive line just keeps getting better. Now I know this is probably the worst front 7 they have (and probably will) face, but the amount of time Sneed had to throw and the wide open lanes these guys pulled Open was damned impressive. I never felt like the offense couldn’t get a score back mostly bc of how solid the OL was performing.

- The defense made sure to make Poly pay for their mistakes. In my scouting report I said that Poly is going to offer up some turnovers, they sure did. The defense and special teams converted 2 turnovers, one scored a TD, the other lead to a quick TD score. Additionally the defense stopped Poly on 4th down three times, and on ensuing possessions the Grizzly offense scored TDs.

- Furthermore on the defense, I had tweeted this, they were on the field for almost 39:00 of game time and faced 95 plays. Yeah they gave up some yards but overall this was a pretty good showing keeping Poly from ever being within a “close” range. There were hardly any long plays save a few deep passes that were ripped off. All things considered this was a damn solid effort.

- Could this be the game where Eastwood finally starts to show that next level of confidence in his play? The first few weeks (to me) he was seeming to just not find holes and make big plays, save one longer TD run. This game though I saw the Eastwood that would flash these types of skills in camp. Last week post game I mused that the Sneed fake-pitch won’t work forever and the run game has to develop. Poly this week over-emphasized containing Sneed and let Eastwood run wild. This is a very good thing for the running game moving forward, who do you key in on?

- It was so refreshing to see a defensive scheme adapted to attack the Poly offense to keep it somewhat under wraps. There was a great use of rotation in the depth, and shifting on the D line. Multiple prior DC’s never showed a good adaption to address Poly. Baer and staff did.

- Posted it last week that Akem needs to be a greater part of the game and he showed why. His TD was a 2nd move on a busted route (I think) and just found space to help Sneed out.

- Sneed has added a little more to his game each week and this time around we got to see him actually have time to go through progressions and not panic and take off running too soon. While it’s early he’s currently leaning the Big Sky in total offense, ahead of even Gubrud. Suffice to say, if the season ended right now he’d be in discussion for Big Sky mvp.

- Eleven Sports is trash and an embarrassment as a media representative of this conference. I was watching in a spot where I couldn’t hear the sound much but I read plenty of complaints about that too.

- Two passes, no catches, in the endzone to Curran. The TV camera work left a lot to be desired, I couldn’t tell if the first one he had it and the DB hit his arm or if it was a drop. The 2nd lead to the pick but I had no clue if that was on the throw, good coverage, or another drop. There was I believe mention of a drop by Sulser and maybe Toure as well? The camera work missed those entirely. With how skilled this WR corps is this shouldn’t be happening this much.

- More improvement on special teams as well is a good thing to see. Semenza stays perfect, coverage was good (did give up a few returns but not terrible), and of course a recovered fumble by OD.

- loved the bear paw on the helmets

- 2nd week in a row that Justin Calhoun gets caught on deep passes not finding the ball in the air. In both the PSU and CP game the catches were tremendous ones though. These are small things he’ll get back as he gets comfy at corner again, but I assume teams are going to keep attacking him with those types of deep shots.

All in all a good win with still plenty of things needed to clean up. The defensive guys are probably still worn out from that effort, hopefully this weeks PSU game doesn’t catch them flat footed.

I think this is a nice sign that we’re seeing ongoing improvement rather than flat or regressing play, which we could have found in other years prior at times. While it’s early and this was a win they should have had regardless I really liked how the Griz came out and handled business.

Go Griz!

The sulser missed catch was overthrown slightly and he still almost came up with it. He is gonna be amazing to watch the next few years. If he had caught that it would have been a beautiful circus type catch he was giving all he had to get it.

Good report BW. I think that Every win is a good win. :clap: :clap: :clap:

BWahlberg said:
All things considered this was a damn solid effort.
All in all a good win with still plenty of things needed to clean up. The defensive guys are probably still worn out from that effort, hopefully this weeks PSU game doesn’t catch them flat footed.

I think this is a nice sign that we’re seeing ongoing improvement rather than flat or regressing play, which we could have found in other years prior at times. While it’s early and this was a win they should have had regardless I really liked how the Griz came out and handled business.

Go Griz!

BWahlberg said:
Alright Griz fans, we’re 2 days removed from a big road win and I’m just getting my post game thoughts up. Typing this up on the notepad from my phone, so I’m going to keep it shorter this time around. I’m in Oregon for a friend’s wedding, hence the late post and short(er) version.

There’s a lot to unpack from this win, here’s my summary of main takeaways;

- The offensive line just keeps getting better. Now I know this is probably the worst front 7 they have (and probably will) face, but the amount of time Sneed had to throw and the wide open lanes these guys pulled Open was damned impressive. I never felt like the offense couldn’t get a score back mostly bc of how solid the OL was performing.

- The defense made sure to make Poly pay for their mistakes. In my scouting report I said that Poly is going to offer up some turnovers, they sure did. The defense and special teams converted 2 turnovers, one scored a TD, the other lead to a quick TD score. Additionally the defense stopped Poly on 4th down three times, and on ensuing possessions the Grizzly offense scored TDs.

- Furthermore on the defense, I had tweeted this, they were on the field for almost 39:00 of game time and faced 95 plays. Yeah they gave up some yards but overall this was a pretty good showing keeping Poly from ever being within a “close” range. There were hardly any long plays save a few deep passes that were ripped off. All things considered this was a damn solid effort.

- Could this be the game where Eastwood finally starts to show that next level of confidence in his play? The first few weeks (to me) he was seeming to just not find holes and make big plays, save one longer TD run. This game though I saw the Eastwood that would flash these types of skills in camp. Last week post game I mused that the Sneed fake-pitch won’t work forever and the run game has to develop. Poly this week over-emphasized containing Sneed and let Eastwood run wild. This is a very good thing for the running game moving forward, who do you key in on?

- It was so refreshing to see a defensive scheme adapted to attack the Poly offense to keep it somewhat under wraps. There was a great use of rotation in the depth, and shifting on the D line. Multiple prior DC’s never showed a good adaption to address Poly. Baer and staff did.

- Posted it last week that Akem needs to be a greater part of the game and he showed why. His TD was a 2nd move on a busted route (I think) and just found space to help Sneed out.

- Sneed has added a little more to his game each week and this time around we got to see him actually have time to go through progressions and not panic and take off running too soon. While it’s early he’s currently leaning the Big Sky in total offense, ahead of even Gubrud. Suffice to say, if the season ended right now he’d be in discussion for Big Sky mvp.

- Eleven Sports is trash and an embarrassment as a media representative of this conference. I was watching in a spot where I couldn’t hear the sound much but I read plenty of complaints about that too.

- Two passes, no catches, in the endzone to Curran. The TV camera work left a lot to be desired, I couldn’t tell if the first one he had it and the DB hit his arm or if it was a drop. The 2nd lead to the pick but I had no clue if that was on the throw, good coverage, or another drop. There was I believe mention of a drop by Sulser and maybe Toure as well? The camera work missed those entirely. With how skilled this WR corps is this shouldn’t be happening this much.

- More improvement on special teams as well is a good thing to see. Semenza stays perfect, coverage was good (did give up a few returns but not terrible), and of course a recovered fumble by OD.

- loved the bear paw on the helmets

- 2nd week in a row that Justin Calhoun gets caught on deep passes not finding the ball in the air. In both the PSU and CP game the catches were tremendous ones though. These are small things he’ll get back as he gets comfy at corner again, but I assume teams are going to keep attacking him with those types of deep shots.

Go Griz!

Touchdown Montana!!

...Sorry, guys. My feed is about two minutes behind everyone else.

On the Drops, I saw the one Toure and it was on TV. Right through his hands. Sounded to me like Sulsers was thrown a little too much oomph.

I think that Eastwood has some wheels. I didn't see anyone closing on him on his long TD run, and he didn't appear to run out of gas at 40 yards like some in the past.

the three cents nobody wants:

game pitted two young, relatively inexperienced teams against each other, and it showed more for cal poly than the griz. good job by the griz coaches.

don't agree that the poly offense was kept under wraps - they had over 400 yards rushing. also, the griz were the beneficiaries of two very costly cal poly mistakes, making for a 14 - 28 point swing in the score, and momentum with it.

the 4th down stops were impressive, especially considering the cal poly fullback, who in my view might have been the best individual player the griz have played against this year.

not totally on the r. hauck bandwagon - he looks kinda slow to me, and some of his tackles the last couple games seemed to come from him falling on a guy who had already been tripped up. not saying he's bad, or that he can't play at the i-aa level, but i thought epperly from last year looked at least as good when he played.

i am on the dante olsen bandwagon.

i still think calhoun is by far the best rb on the griz, and even one of the best in the country, but i kind of hope that i never see him play another down of football, given how many big hits he's already taken. it isn't worth it.

I guess I didn't realize Eastwood is a RS Frosh. Whether or not he is the best the Griz have at this moment, he has shown enough for me to say that he has huge potential. If you consider him good now, the next 3 years should be VERY interesting. Heck the rest of the season should be fun. I agree that you can see him grow game to game.

first,,,thanks b/w for your summary for those of us who didn't see any of the game.....your comments on eastwood were interesting.......thanks again.

mtmopars said:
The sulser missed catch was overthrown slightly and he still almost came up with it. He is gonna be amazing to watch the next few years. If he had caught that it would have been a beautiful circus type catch he was giving all he had to get it.

Sulser made a great attempt on that ball. Would have been an almost impossible catch.

I can't recall many real drops. What were they? The catch over the middle on the targeting call was one of the best I've ever seen after getting hit that hard and that quickly.

I know the targeting call was confirmed, but it didn't look like targeting from where I sat. It looked like a great hit. Was it viewable on streaming?

PlayerRep said:
mtmopars said:

Sulser made a great attempt on that ball. Would have been an almost impossible catch.

I can't recall many real drops. What were they? The catch over the middle on the targeting call was one of the best I've ever seen after getting hit that hard and that quickly.

I know the targeting call was confirmed, but it didn't look like targeting from where I sat. It looked like a great hit. Was it viewable on streaming?
Toure dropped one wide open and Curran dropped one in the endzone. The other Curran "drop" was really an overthrown ball and he had no shot of catching it kind of like the Susler pass.

PlayerRep said:
mtmopars said:

The targeting was during the point of the second quarter when all we saw on streaming was a long shot of the empty side of the field.

argh! said:
the three cents nobody wants:

game pitted two young, relatively inexperienced teams against each other, and it showed more for cal poly than the griz. good job by the griz coaches.

don't agree that the poly offense was kept under wraps - they had over 400 yards rushing. also, the griz were the beneficiaries of two very costly cal poly mistakes, making for a 14 - 28 point swing in the score, and momentum with it.

the 4th down stops were impressive, especially considering the cal poly fullback, who in my view might have been the best individual player the griz have played against this year.

not totally on the r. hauck bandwagon - he looks kinda slow to me, and some of his tackles the last couple games seemed to come from him falling on a guy who had already been tripped up. not saying he's bad, or that he can't play at the i-aa level, but i thought epperly from last year looked at least as good when he played.

i am on the dante olsen bandwagon.

i still think calhoun is by far the best rb on the griz, and even one of the best in the country, but i kind of hope that i never see him play another down of football, given how many big hits he's already taken. it isn't worth it.

I agree with much of what you said. On giving up so many yards, I think the UM backed off early in the second half after giving up a quick longer pass catch. CP was never going to be able to come back on us, if we just didn't give up quick and easy scores. UM D gave up a few too many 3d down conversions, but the 3 stops on 4th down were outstanding.

Hauck is a terrific tackler and has a nose for the ball. May be a bit too aggressive on run-stopping at times, when it turns out to be a pass play. His speed is fine, especially because he usually reacts well and quickly. Same with uncle Tim. Not great speed, but had an incredible reaction time to the play, nose for the ball, and was a hard hitter and very good tackler. Thus, the nickname "hitter".

Olsen is going to have win the conference MVP award a few more times and get 30 tackles in game before I'm getting on the bandwagon.

Olsen is going to have win the conference MVP award a few more times and get 30 tackles in game before I'm getting on the bandwagon.

Damn your standards are high. :shock: I am on the Wagon for Olsen for sure. May be the best LB I have ever seen play for the Griz.

Da Boyz Mom said:
PlayerRep said:
mtmopars said:

The targeting was during the point of the second quarter when all we saw on streaming was a long shot of the empty side of the field.

On TV it was questionable the only reason I think they called and confirmed it is because he lowered his head and launched while the receiver was still in the air. It was so Bang Bang though it was even less blatant than the one that should of been called against Sac St

I thought their offensive line took it to our front 7 most of the game. They won a lot of those battles and were pushing our guys back on their heels a couple yards most plays. Our offense dominated them by a wider margin though and those turnovers contributed to the margin of victory as well.

In regards to us stopping any big plays, I do agree with that. Poly in the past would get one or two of those plays where we wouldn't pick up a leaked receiver. Did a better job of stopping that. Still think we have some concerns in our ability to stop the run.

Curran's TD drop was inexcusable. I love the guy, but he is going to hurt us one of these games if he can't clean this up. It did however, give me the win on the score prediction. He he.

The targeting was obvious helmet to chin. They are going to call that every time, launch or no launch.

This may have been "two young, relatively inexperienced teams" but from my view, the Griz dominated this game, on the road, against a team that has been our nemesis for 10 years. That's a huge step forward IMO.

Sam A. Blitz said:
I thought their offensive line took it to our front 7 most of the game. They won a lot of those battles and were pushing our guys back on their heels a couple yards most plays. Our offense dominated them by a wider margin though and those turnovers contributed to the margin of victory as well.

In regards to us stopping any big plays, I do agree with that. Poly in the past would get one or two of those plays where we wouldn't pick up a leaked receiver. Did a better job of stopping that. Still think we have some concerns in our ability to stop the run.
Everybody looks bad in their rushing defense stats after playing CP, which is ranked #6 in rushing offense (NCAA stats). Here's a surprise (NOT!): Ahead of Poly are Wofford and Kennesaw State, two other option attacks.

Before the CP game, the Griz were holding opponents to less than 120 yard per game rushing. That was good enough for about #24 in all of FCS. Be nice if it was better than that, but that's not bad ... so I'm not that worried about the Griz's ability to stop the run.

I am still worried about big plays over the top. We've seen some good progress in the pass D, but the secondary still needs to tighten up, IMO.

It appears the offensive line has improved each game, but I can’t help but mention the BIG package that has been installed with the three tight ends...The variety of formations and motions seemed to have kept the defense guessing and has no doubt helped the run game. All of the tight ends have good hands and watching Rensvold sprint up the sideline, stiff arm a defender, and finish the run has to make all Griz fans smile and look to the future. Creative coaches who put players in position to succeed. Great stuff.

Back