• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS STATS Poll Guesses (Sept 23)

IdaGriz01

With seven ranked teams losing (two to FBS opponent, admittedly), there is bound to be a bit of stirring up in the next STATS.com poll. Some of the losses made for tough choices, but no scenario I concocted could move the Griz up more than one spot. (But I think my guess of where they ended up is fair enough.)

#1 NDSU (3-0) [1]
#2 James Madison (3-1) [2]
#3 South Dakota State (2-0) [3]
#4 Kennesaw State (3-1) [5]
#5 EWU (3-1) [6]
#6 Weber State (3-1) [7]
#7 Wofford (2-1) [8]
#8 Jacksonville State (2-1) [10]
#9 Elon (2-1) [12]
#10 Central Arkansas (2-1) [14]
#11 McNeese (3-1) [9]
#12 NC A&T (3-1) [4]
#13 Illinois State (3-0) [16]
#14 Villanova (3-1) [15]
#15 Nicholls (2-2) [18]
#16 SHSU (1-2) [11]
#17 Maine (2-1) [13]
#18 Montana (3-1) [19]
#19 Stony Brook (3-1) [20]
#20 UC Davis (3-1) [21]
#21 Rhode Island (2-1) [23]
#22 Chattanooga (4-0) [NR]
#23 Northern Iowa (1-2) [25]
#24 Towson (2-1) [NR]
#25 South Dakota (1-2) [NR]

NR Samford (1-3) [17]
NR North Dakota (2-2) [22]
NR Austin Peay (2-2) [24]

The first quandary involved North Carolina A&T, which lost to Morgan State. Normally, losing to an unranked team drops a team "just" 5-6 spots. But A&T was at home and Morgan State is a really bad team. They had lost three straight this year, after managing only one win all of last year. So I have projected that the pollsters will punish the Aggies severely

Where they ended gave me another choice, since it put them just above Illinois State, which beat FBS Colorado State. Now CSU is hardly an FBS powerhouse, but the Redbirds won pretty decisively. Thus, it would not surprise me if NC A&T dropped one more and I-State took over the #12 spot.

It was an easy call to drop #22 North Dakota and #24 Austin Peay out of the top-25 after there losses to unranked opponents.

But my “formulas” came up with two results for Samford, which lost on the road to an unranked, but pretty good Chattanooga team. Then I remembered a key point: Samford’s only win this year was against a D-II opponent. Sure, they perhaps scared Florida State a bit, but then they lost to a weak Mercer team and now have a three-game losing streak. Pretty sure they’ll be gone from the top-25 (and if they're not, they should be).

uofmman1122 said:
I would drop Sam Houston completely.

They look real bad.

I think that would be admitting the pollsters were gravely mistaken prior to the season about their potential.

Pretty straight forward this week. Things are starting to settle in.

uofmman1122 said:

They look real bad.
Do they? They weren't on DirecTV, so we didn't see them. Nicholls is supposedly a good team (ranked #18), so a loss on the road for SHSU didn't seem that bad. Still, that (1-2) record does kinda stick out where they are in the standings. Be interesting to see how the pollsters feel.

signedbewildered said:
uofmman1122 said:

They look real bad.
I think that would be admitting the pollsters were gravely mistaken prior to the season about their potential.

Pretty straight forward this week. Things are starting to settle in.
Good point. :lol:

IdaGriz01 said:
uofmman1122 said:

They look real bad.
Do they? They weren't on DirecTV, so we didn't see them. Nicholls is supposedly a good team (ranked #18), so a loss on the road for SHSU didn't seem that bad. Still, that (1-2) record does kinda stick out where they are in the standings. Be interesting to see how the pollsters feel.
If you've got ESPN+, you can watch it, but I don't think it's anywhere else.

Their defense looks okay, not near what it has been the last few years, but their offense looks like it fell off a cliff this year.

uofmman1122 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
uofmman1122 said:

They look real bad.
If you've got ESPN+, you can watch it, but I don't think it's anywhere else.

Their defense looks okay, not near what it has been the last few years, but their offense looks like it fell off a cliff this year.
Would love to sign up for streaming on ESPN+ . But CenturyLink basically has a monopoly in this area on DSL service ... and they refuse to lease/subcontract the higher speeds to our ISP (EarthLink). We could change, but we know EarthLink has good customer service. We also personally know that CenturyLink has totally crappy customer service. (Don't get me started!). EarthLink is installing more and more of their HyperLink (high-speed wireless) service, so we're hoping they finally get around to our part of the country.

We watched some of the game between SHSU and North Dakota, where SHSU lost by just one point on the road. At the time -- before Idaho State went in there and won -- we all thought UND was a real powerhouse, so that loss did not looks so bad. Now I guess we know better.

Da Boyz Mom said:
Griz move up to 17 in this week's poll. http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs
Yep, just posted the list on its own thread. Right now, I'm trying to assess some of the changes. I see they did "punish" SHSU more than I did (leaving a spot for the Griz to move up one more place) ... but they are still in the top-25.

Back