• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good, Bad, Ugly - Sac St

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Good:

- Dalton Sneed literally put this team on his back and led them to a win...234 passing and 206 running with 4 total TDs
- That’s the best game we’ve seen from the offensive line, I think they are starting to gel
- Eastwood had a good day running and catching balls out of the backfield
- Dante Olson had another 15 tackles, that’s 55 in 4 games!
- Gabe Sulser’s first ever touch as a Griz goes to the house. Kid can fly
- Josh Buss looks healthy. 3 huge sacks at critical times and a huge pass break up when we needed it
- Jeremy Calhoun getting some touches and looking darn good when he did. Looked like another helmet to helmet. Hope he’s okay!
- the crowd was the most electric and loud I’ve seen in years
- JLM had 91 yards receiving and some big time grabs. His punt return was big too
- the halftime adjustments were effective on both sides of the ball
- Tim Semenza remains perfect on FGs

Bad:

- bad tackling allowing lots of extra yards
- got pretty soft in some zone coverages leaving receivers too open
- Keenan with a critical drop that stopped a big drive... he did have two big catches later that helped make up for it

Ugly:

- refs...seriously when will the big sky hold these guys accountable. So many holds, missed tarheting, tried to give Sac st a fumble when Curran was clearly down. They truly looked lost and confused out there.

I would add run defense to the bad list. We got pushed around and got reached that put us out of position a lot in the first half. Second half was better but not great by any means

dupuyer griz said:
I liked that the refs watched the replay on the fumble and immediately hanged the call.

Wasn’t that something! It was more scary to me that they had to huddle together to even try to figure it out

Not to pile on — oh hell, I’m going to pile on! — in a seriousness, when is this conference going to begin to do SOMETHING about officiating?! The acting commish was there in person today. I hope he was ashamed, but I know better. No one will say anything; no one will be held accountable; and next week we’ll be subjected to the same awful crap.

This conference proves once again it cares not even the tiniest about the fan experience

Thanks Hooked I agree with your post game thoughts and pregame concerns

Sac St is the type of team that is most difficult for the Griz to defend, they are balnced, experienced, and don’t turn the ball over.

Great win

Run defense did improve as the game went on(very positive)

Not taking away from any other players, however it was great to see both Calhouns, Bingham was able to play a few plays, Sandry’s ankle still doesn’t look right and he keeps playing through, Buss is playing lights out and physical with his injury, and Demming is one tough guy, many players playing at a high level great team effort win or lose this is a great team

Good...goal line stand,no reported injuries
Bad.....kicking the ball out of bounds on kickoffs
Ugly....3 defensive backs running into each other allowing a long scoring play.

Great win for this team :thumb:

EverettGriz said:
Not to pile on — oh hell, I’m going to pile on! — in a seriousness, when is this conference going to begin to do SOMETHING about officiating?! The acting commish was there in person today. I hope he was ashamed, but I know better. No one will say anything; no one will be held accountable; and next week we’ll be subjected to the same awful crap.

This conference proves once again it cares not even the tiniest about the fan experience

They missed a PI onJLM and fortunately he caught it anyway on a crucial down. I find it interesting that all year we keep seeing dbs literally tackling receivers before the ball gets there and not being a flag.

Also the overturned targeting was disgusting to me. I don’t know how they can possibly claim to be trying to protect the players with shit like this. He clearly hits his chin with his shoulder for no reason. He could have easily went lower and tackled to the mid region but he jumped up and threw his shoulder into our receivers head.

The targeting rule says no player should make contact to the head or neck of a defenseless player.

The big sky refs have always sucked but they consistently insert themselves into games on both sides and it gets frustrating.

Eriul said:
EverettGriz said:

They missed a PI onJLM and fortunately he caught it anyway on a crucial down. I find it interesting that all year we keep seeing dbs literally tackling receivers before the ball gets there and not being a flag.

Also the overturned targeting was disgusting to me. I don’t know how they can possibly claim to be trying to protect the players with shit like this. He clearly hits his chin with his shoulder for no reason. He could have easily went lower and tackled to the mid region but he jumped up and threw his shoulder into our receivers head.

The targeting rule says no player should make contact to the head or neck of a defenseless player.

The big sky refs have always sucked but they consistently insert themselves into games on both sides and it gets frustrating.
This. I don’t even care about the yards. They let that DB get away with that hit, and it directly lead to Calhoun getting nailed. When players know they can get away with that shit, that’s when guys get hurt. That crew should be suspended for a week for almost letting two kids leave the game with head injuries and no repercussions for Sac State.

On the first targeting call the on field official threw the flag and the booth over turned the call. Looking at the replay it sure looked like a hit on a defenseless player and a penalty was in order. The hit on Calhoun was obviously just flat out missed by the officials. I’m not one who wants to see a lot of penalties but those were were pretty aggressive and need to be addressed before players begin to test the waters and someone gets seriously hurt. :ugeek:

uofmman1122 said:
Eriul said:
EverettGriz said:

This. I don’t even care about the yards. They let that DB get away with that hit, and it directly lead to Calhoun getting nailed. When players know they can get away with that shit, that’s when guys get hurt. That crew should be suspended for a week for almost letting two kids leave the game with head injuries and no repercussions for Sac State.

I believe it was the same DB who later went helmet-to-helmet with Calhoun and knocked Calhoun out of the game.

Let me add a couple:

Ugly: The defense in the first half. What in the actual fuck? When is this defense going to play a complete game? Why do we have to get down 14-0 or 14-7 before we start playing defense?

....and....

Good: The halftime defensive adjustments. Holy SHIT. It was like a different team out there. Baer and the D caught a lot of shit on this board in the first half, so was nice to see them make the necessary adjustments and shut down Suck State’s O in the second half. Rhetorical question: are adjustments allowed BEFORE halftime?

Back