Post Game: Vintage win

Get the low down on Griz/FCS Football
User avatar
BWahlberg
eGriz Club
Posts: 26154
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:53 pm
Location: Missoula

There was some fun throwback moments today. The Griz in copper jerseys, Dave Dickenson in attendance, and game where Hauck and company went in reeling at halftime and came out with some solid adjustments to seal the win.

At the point with 4:10 left in the 2nd quarter with Sac going up 28-17 the Griz from that point out-scored Sac 24-6. The Griz in the 2nd half had 17:51 TOP to 12:15 and out-gained Sac 238 to 120. The Grizzly defense seemed to adjust and cleaned up some of the errors seen in the first half, and the offense continued to put in work. Sac in the 2nd half was 1-7 on 3rd down.

Bobby in his post-game said Sac was the best team we've faced this year, I believe I heard Colter Nuanez say that as well. This was a very experienced Sac State team with some real talent at some spots. They were clearly shorthanded in some spots, mostly defensively. The Hornets, I suspect, could make some noise this season, and having these Griz fight back and close out the game in the fashion they did showed some signs of coming of age.

A few general points, first off, what I liked from today:

- Got to start with the super-human performance of Dalton Sneed, 206 rushing with 3 rushing TDs, and 234 passing with 1 more TD (coming on a 4th and goal). This game plan felt like something Montana was keeping a bit of a lid on and today showcased a little more of what Sneed can bring to a game today. Dalton showed a little more trust in his OL today and in his post-game comments he gave them a lot of love. I heard Sneed giving them props and saying he wished his 8th best rushing record was credit to his O-line instead of him.

- Baby steps for the offensive line. Bobby Hauck I believe commented that Sneed showed more trust in the line and it allowed him to make more plays. Adam Eastwood a solid 4 YPC as well and a total 351 yards rushing by the Griz today. The OL has a looooong ways to go and showed plenty of lapses again but today was the first time this season I felt like from the stand point of the total game, they moved forward as a group.

- Glad Wa Griz got to see the electric play-making ability of Sulser. He showed this early in fall camp before getting shelved for a while with an injury. He is lighting fast and fun to watch. Get used to watching #7 make big plays!

- Josh Buss with 3 sacks! Holy crap, great to see this dude getting back to form. Add in 11 tackles for him as well, what a solid day. I went back to the stat line and looked it up, all 3 of Buss's sacks forced a Sac St punt. His pass breakup on 3rd and 24 saved a first down too, that WR was open.

- Dante Olson is going to make double-digit tackles a habit... 15 more today, he's up to 55 on the season.

- I'll split this in half, Keenan Curran had two clutch catches and plays in the 2nd half, the 2nd tremendously difficult. He also had some amazing deep field blocks on long runs, I believe he sealed off the Sulser TD run and was upfield helping block for Sneed on his long runs too. (more to come on Curran)

- Genius game plan today by Hauck and Rosenbach. Almost 600 yards of offense, 40% conversion rate on 3rd down, some well executed plays in the red zone, this fake/option pitch thing that Hauck says Rosey invented this week, and 25 total first downs.

- Great day by Tim Semenza, he's a guy that takes some lumps on here but dude was money.

- Last week the Grizzly offense had 4 turnovers. Today... none. Also just 34 total yards of penalties by the whole team. Great improvements on both accounts.

- In the first 3 weeks special teams was a mixed bag. Today it generally was an advantage. Semenza stayed perfect, Williams had some great punts, JLM flipped the field once when Sac needed to pin Montana deep, coverage was solid, and Sac basically had no luck/change on their onsides attempt.

And now, the not-so-good stuff:

- It would seem that the word is out, the middle of the field in the 10 to 20 yard range is open for business for most offenses. Sac made major plays there, many times with wide open targets, and in some cases it would turn into even bigger plays.

- Sac's RB deserves some credit, their OL does too, but the big plays given up on the ground was something this Grizzly defense had not done until today. Naturally this has to be concerning as the Griz head to Poly this next weekend. Sac put up 251 rushing and nearly 6 yards per carry. Elijah Dotson actually out-gained Sneed and had 3 TDs himself.

- Curran's first drop was a damn tough catch, I think a lot of guys have issues with that pass too. Curran's 2nd drop was brutal. It lead to a punt on a sure-fire 3rd down conversion that Sac would then shortly turn into a TD. Big swing in points at that moment in the game.

- Where was Akem today? I get this was a plan built more around rushing the ball but Sammy had two damn good games in a row and then only really saw meaningful snaps for a few series in the 2nd quarter.

- Some concerns with tackling/pursuit showed up, it wasn't all game but it was certainly showing up when Sac grabbed their 10 point lead. I have a feeling the DBs are going to have a lot of film to work from on items of needed improvement.

------------

This was a well-deserved win against a tough team. It showed some resolve, some improvement, and some ongoing concerns. This was kind of what I expected in terms of the style of win, but not with this many points on the board.

Add in, what a great day to have Dave Dickenson back and being enshrined in the college football hall of fame. Hearing the video clip of him speaking to the team this week was so cool. There's so much owed to that guy, his teams, and the coaches of that era for what Grizzly football is today. There's nowhere else I'd rather have been today, glad we got the win on such a special day.

GO GRIZ!
Griz practice and news updates http://twitter.com/Bwahlberg

Brint Wahlberg - Realtor, Windermere Real Estate

The official REALTOR(R) of Grizzly Athletics
Image
User avatar
BWahlberg
eGriz Club
Posts: 26154
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:53 pm
Location: Missoula

Wow!



Image
Griz practice and news updates http://twitter.com/Bwahlberg

Brint Wahlberg - Realtor, Windermere Real Estate

The official REALTOR(R) of Grizzly Athletics
Image
User avatar
BWahlberg
eGriz Club
Posts: 26154
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:53 pm
Location: Missoula

Oh one thing to add, I was frustrated with the no-calls on what seemed like some really big Sac State holding calls, but the Griz OL got some in too, so the refs seemed to let it slide both ways.

What I didn't understand was the targeting waive off. I thought Harriel launched himself into a defenseless receiver and at the very least had a personal foul coming. 3 flags fly. The refs originally called targeting and on the one replay I've seen I thought it would be overturned as it looked like Harriel lead with his shoulder. As others pointed out to me on twitter though he launched into the Griz receiver and maybe it should have still remained targeting.

Regardless not only targeting was waived off, but so was the penalty. That seemed odd. On the good side the Griz still converted the drive into points, but the whole thing was just odd and a little frustrating to me at the moment. I wonder if the Big Sky will review that play?
Griz practice and news updates http://twitter.com/Bwahlberg

Brint Wahlberg - Realtor, Windermere Real Estate

The official REALTOR(R) of Grizzly Athletics
Image
User avatar
grizeyes
eGriz Club
Posts: 1474
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 pm
Location: Townsend MT / R.C. WI

BWahlberg wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:19 pm Oh one thing to add, I was frustrated with the no-calls on what seemed like some really big Sac State holding calls, but the Griz OL got some in too, so the refs seemed to let it slide both ways.

What I didn't understand was the targeting waive off. I thought Harriel launched himself into a defenseless receiver and at the very least had a personal foul coming. 3 flags fly. The refs originally called targeting and on the one replay I've seen I thought it would be overturned as it looked like Harriel lead with his shoulder. As others pointed out to me on twitter though he launched into the Griz receiver and maybe it should have still remained targeting.

Regardless not only targeting was waived off, but so was the penalty. That seemed odd. On the good side the Griz still converted the drive into points, but the whole thing was just odd and a little frustrating to me at the moment. I wonder if the Big Sky will review that play?
IMO, the Deming shot should have been unnecessary roughness, and the helmet to helmet on Calhoun should have been targeting. Refs missed both calls and agree, a few of the no calls for holding were unbelievable!
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” Samuel Adams
nzone
Posts: 2801
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:46 pm
Location: Great Falls

Nice write up. One thing that was not so good was the kick offs out of bounds but what a great win for a young team. On to play cal poly.....
User avatar
IdaGriz01
Posts: 10903
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: Idaho Falls

grizeyes wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:29 pm
BWahlberg wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:19 pm Oh one thing to add, I was frustrated with the no-calls on what seemed like some really big Sac State holding calls, but the Griz OL got some in too, so the refs seemed to let it slide both ways.

What I didn't understand was the targeting waive off. I thought Harriel launched himself into a defenseless receiver and at the very least had a personal foul coming. 3 flags fly. The refs originally called targeting and on the one replay I've seen I thought it would be overturned as it looked like Harriel lead with his shoulder. As others pointed out to me on twitter though he launched into the Griz receiver and maybe it should have still remained targeting.

Regardless not only targeting was waived off, but so was the penalty. That seemed odd. On the good side the Griz still converted the drive into points, but the whole thing was just odd and a little frustrating to me at the moment. I wonder if the Big Sky will review that play?
IMO, the Deming shot should have been unnecessary roughness, and the helmet to helmet on Calhoun should have been targeting. Refs missed both calls and agree, a few of the no calls for holding were unbelievable!
One of the strangest games, as far as the officiating goes, that we've seen in a very long time. If the Sky doesn't at least take a look, they're not doing their job. (Of course, we'll almost certainly never no one way or the other.)
hm.grwn.grizfan
Posts: 4607
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:15 pm
Location: Billings, Montana

Where’s this video of Dave talking with the team? I’d love to see that
“We had a winning record last year and no one was happy about it. If they have a winning record down the road they throw a parade.” - Bobby Hauck -
grzz
eGriz Club
Posts: 2646
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:55 pm
Location: Missoula, MT

Nope.

That was an absolutely inexcusable miss on a surefire TD, on a drive the Griz ended up punting, that could have easily been a huge negative turning point in the game.

I love Curran, but we know who he is at this point, and he inexplicably drops passes. Then later in the game he will get mental focus and make a big time catch. But that will cost the team. I hate to be so critical, but sometimes the truth hurts.
BWahlberg wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm
- Curran's first drop was a damn tough catch, I think a lot of guys have issues with that pass too. Curran's 2nd drop was brutal. It lead to a punt on a sure-fire 3rd down conversion that Sac would then shortly turn into a TD. Big swing in points at that moment in the game.
Last edited by grzz on Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
signedbewildered
eGriz Club
Posts: 5259
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 pm
Location: South of The Zoo

I thought they just forgot their flags and someone's wife didn't bring them till halftime.

Very surprised at the two huge no calls. (Especially at this day and age) Haven't seen replays but in person they both looked bad. I figured Calhoun's career was over.
CFallsGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: MTOWN

BWahlberg wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm Hauck and company went in reeling at halftime
I didn't really get that sense. I felt like he had confidence, but was eager to get inside and make adjustments, which they did.

I didn't realize Sneed's performance was "historic" exactly, but he did make it clear that he's the real deal and without a doubt the right guy to lead this team. His football IQ showed up in a big way, especially with that pump-fake to make the SS defender jump and allow him just enough time to run it in. That was a veteran move that showed why the staff has so much faith in him.

Good synopsis of the game tho, Brint!

edit: after hearing Bobby in the post-game presser say Sneed was in the company of Reynolds, Hilliard and Humphery for single game rushing yds, I see that it really was historic. 206 yds. Not bad...
Last edited by CFallsGriz on Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the Universe, then I'd have to say that the Universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin
grizghost
Posts: 1081
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:46 pm

..holy smokes...the introduction of Gabe Sulser..the dude has some wheels!
User avatar
grizeyes
eGriz Club
Posts: 1474
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 pm
Location: Townsend MT / R.C. WI

CFallsGriz wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm
BWahlberg wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm Hauck and company went in reeling at halftime
I didn't really get that sense. I felt like he had confidence, but was eager to get inside and make adjustments, which they did.

I didn't realize Sneed's performance was "historic" exactly, but he did make it clear that he's the real deal and without a doubt the right guy to lead this team. His football IQ showed up in a big way, especially with that pump-fake to make the SS defender jump and allow him just enough time to run it in. That was a veteran move that showed why the staff has so much faith in him.

Good synopsis of the game tho, Brint!
Just need Sneed to get better at those deep passes - if he can get those dialed in, look out!! We left several scores on the field in he could have connected with wide open receivers.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” Samuel Adams
User avatar
uofmman1122
eGriz Club
Posts: 5841
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:13 pm
Location: Missoula

grizeyes wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 pm
CFallsGriz wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm
BWahlberg wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm Hauck and company went in reeling at halftime
I didn't really get that sense. I felt like he had confidence, but was eager to get inside and make adjustments, which they did.

I didn't realize Sneed's performance was "historic" exactly, but he did make it clear that he's the real deal and without a doubt the right guy to lead this team. His football IQ showed up in a big way, especially with that pump-fake to make the SS defender jump and allow him just enough time to run it in. That was a veteran move that showed why the staff has so much faith in him.

Good synopsis of the game tho, Brint!
Just need Sneed to get better at those deep passes - if he can get those dialed in, look out!! We left several scores on the field in he could have connected with wide open receivers.
Honestly, if Sneed were a better downfield passer, I have doubts he’d be playing at Montana. Dalton took the offense on his back and buried Sac State with his bare hands today.

Best QB performance we’ve seen since Brady Gustafson’s debut.
CFallsGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:38 pm
Location: MTOWN

grizeyes wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:23 pm
CFallsGriz wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:10 pm
BWahlberg wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm Hauck and company went in reeling at halftime
I didn't really get that sense. I felt like he had confidence, but was eager to get inside and make adjustments, which they did.

I didn't realize Sneed's performance was "historic" exactly, but he did make it clear that he's the real deal and without a doubt the right guy to lead this team. His football IQ showed up in a big way, especially with that pump-fake to make the SS defender jump and allow him just enough time to run it in. That was a veteran move that showed why the staff has so much faith in him.

Good synopsis of the game tho, Brint!
Just need Sneed to get better at those deep passes - if he can get those dialed in, look out!! We left several scores on the field in he could have connected with wide open receivers.
Agree. His ability to think fast, see the defense, along with his breakout speed (for a QB), gives me a lot of confidence in his potential to take over games as he gains more experience with the scheme and personnel.

Totally agree tho that his deep ball lacks touch at times, as well as some over-throws. As BW noted, tho, there were some drops on passes where he threw catcheable balls on key plays. Overall, I'm impressed with the dude and glad he's here.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the Universe, then I'd have to say that the Universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin
Oso Negro
eGriz Club
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:37 pm
Location: Jackson, Wyo

What a way for the OLine to show up. Dalton was pretty spectacular. I noticed Eastwood made a few good runs right after Calhoun was in. Olson is a monster.
But what impressed me the most with out a doubt was the play of the OLine. Hopefully they are gelling as a unit and will keep it up as the weather turns.
Oh, that stadium was PACKED! The fans played their part and made a difference in the outcome of the game.
Da Boyz Mom
eGriz Club
Posts: 3335
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:12 pm
Location: Prettiest town I've ever seen

Bobby was pretty animated in the postgame press conference. What a fun day.

https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-gri ... -state-34/
If I had known egriz was going to last, I would have chosen a better username.
principalgriz
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:03 pm

The targeting call was baffling to say the least...can’t see how the lack of targeting turns into no penalty. I was also surprised with the no call on the deep pass caught along the sideline that was not a catch. I know the receiver can’t go out of bounds and come back in to catch the ball, but he was definitely pushed out of bounds and that may have occurred while the ball was in the air. Bobby spent quite a bit of time discussing that play with the side judge.
User avatar
signedbewildered
eGriz Club
Posts: 5259
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 pm
Location: South of The Zoo

Da Boyz Mom wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:42 pm Bobby was pretty animated in the postgame press conference. What a fun day.

https://skylinesportsmt.com/montana-gri ... -state-34/
Sneed wants no credit for his rushing yards today. Says credit and record should go to O line.
hilinegrizfan
Posts: 613
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:04 am

grzz wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:51 pm Nope.

That was an absolutely inexcusable miss on a surefire TD, on a drive the Griz ended up punting, that could have easily been a huge negative turning point in the game.

I love Curran, but we know who he is at this point, and he inexplicably drops passes. Then later in the game he will get mental focus and make a big time catch. But that will cost the team. I hate to be so critical, but sometimes the truth hurts.
BWahlberg wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:12 pm
- Curran's first drop was a damn tough catch, I think a lot of guys have issues with that pass too. Curran's 2nd drop was brutal. It lead to a punt on a sure-fire 3rd down conversion that Sac would then shortly turn into a TD. Big swing in points at that moment in the game.
Yes he should have caught both of those passes rather easily, no excuse for that. Seemed to me like both passes were basic and should have easily been caught. Should be automatic with those catches
Bearcountry92
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:10 am

principalgriz wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:00 pm The targeting call was baffling to say the least...can’t see how the lack of targeting turns into no penalty. I was also surprised with the no call on the deep pass caught along the sideline that was not a catch. I know the receiver can’t go out of bounds and come back in to catch the ball, but he was definitely pushed out of bounds and that may have occurred while the ball was in the air. Bobby spent quite a bit of time discussing that play with the side judge.

This was confusing to me as well. As it was pointed out to me that it should have been a penalty on the Griz since the receiver went out of bounds and then was catching it. If he was forced out with the ball in the air it should have been a pi call. Can any body confirm my assumptions or clarify what happened to make it an incomplete pass?

Ok played great today. And was nice seeing a run game develope today.

Dl on the other hand came out sluggish and were getting pushed around and put out of place.

But the never quit attitude came out and to come back and win like we did was great. A fun game to watch and can’t wait to see how they do next week
Post Reply