• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Calhoun’s status

AZGrizFan

DONOR
That hit he took? While it didn’t look intentional I believe it WAS the textbook definition of targeting. I don’t understand why they can’t review this shit.

His career is likely over if that is another concussion. If he were my kid he’d be done. Nothing is worth the impact later in life.

Classic bsc officiating to miss that.

And WTF on the shot Demming took? Three officials threw flags. Now, I agree after review it wasn't targeting. But it was a TEXTBOOK case of hitting a defenseless receiver. How the hell do they just waive off that penalty?? I've never seen that before.

#bsc.

AZGrizFan said:
That hit he took? While it didn’t look intentional I believe it WAS the textbook definition of targeting. I don’t understand why they can’t review this shit.

His career is likely over if that is another concussion. If he were my kid he’d be done. Nothing is worth the impact later in life.

It was helmet to helmet, but all the Pam State guys were coached to throw the shoulder in their as well. Poor officiating is the norm, they should expect it & plan accordingly.

I do hope he talks with the family & calls it a career. Nothing is worth the pain & ramifications in later life.

EverettGriz said:

And WTF on the shot Demming took? Three officials threw flags. Now, I agree after review it wasn't targeting. But it was a TEXTBOOK case of hitting a defenseless receiver. How the hell do they just waive off that penalty?? I've never seen that before.

#bsc.
If I'm an official, and I throw a flag and tell the referee that it was for targeting, and the review determines it wasn't, I guess they waive the flag off. Given the NCAA's professed concern about concussions, you would think there would be a lesser included offense rule (ie: if the flag for targeting is waived off there can still be a penalty for unnecessary roughness or hitting a defenseless player if the flag throwing official is of that opinion. Seems like a bad rule.

EverettGriz said:

#bsc.
Same thing happened in that “pathetic” cat game

you would think there would be a lesser included offense rule (ie: if the flag for targeting is waived off there can still be a penalty for unnecessary roughness or hitting a defenseless player

There is, and in every rational place (e.g. not in the bsc) that is precisely what happens.

#bsc.

Real bummer for him. Looked solid after coming back. Agree 100% targeting. Replay can, and should’ve, reviewed that. Even the announcers were a bit confused that they didn’t look at it. The way they were saying it, I was actually picturing them looking through the glass at the replay people, hands raised and shoulders shrugged, like “uh, looking at that?”

EverettGriz said:

#bsc.
If I'm an official and I throw a flag for targeting, and the review determines it wasn't targeting, I guess they waive the flag off? Given the NCAA's expressed concern about concussions, you would think there would be a lesser included offense rule (ie: if the flag for targeting is waived off, there could still be a penalty assessed for unnecessary roughness if the flag throwing official deems it appropriate). Seems like a bad rule.

AZDoc said:
Real bummer for him. Looked solid after coming back. Agree 100% targeting. Replay can, and should’ve, reviewed that. Even the announcers were a bit confused that they didn’t look at it. The way they were saying it, I was actually picturing them looking through the glass at the replay people, hands raised and shoulders shrugged, like “uh, looking at that?”

I'm of the opinion the league uses replay not as it is intended, but to do all they absolutely can to protect their refs and make their horrible officiating look correct.

#bsc.

He was being put through the concussion protocol on the sidelines. Anyone have updates? Damn, when he pushed the pile for 10 extra yards it was obvious he would greatly benefit the run game but nothing is worth his long term health.

grizare#1 said:
He was on the field signing after the game, so hope it's not bad.

Wow. He's quick to pick up on that stuff. I paid really close attention through the whole anthem and all I remember was the wave sign.

signedbewildered said:
grizare#1 said:
He was on the field signing after the game, so hope it's not bad.

Wow. He's quick to pick up on that stuff. I paid really close attention through the whole anthem and all I remember was the wave sign.

Well played haha

Good news, hoping that it is true. I just heard, Calhoun has passed concussion protocol and will likely suit up against Poly.

mtgrizrule said:
Good news, hoping that it is true. I just heard, Calhoun has passed concussion protocol and will likely suit up against Poly.

If true I am truly shocked. That was textbook for a concussion-type hit, and with his history?

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:

If true I am truly shocked. That was textbook for a concussion-type hit, and with his history?

We will find out come game time. God knows, Hauck will keep this close to the vest. I doubt, he will give many, if any details.

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:

Yep, we totally thought his career was over.

Latest posts

Back