• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Sacramento State Hornets Scouting Report

BWahlberg

DONOR
Time for conference play to get started, and up first is Sacramento State, a team last year that went 7-4 and missed the playoffs, but did see their coach, Jody Sears, win Big Sky coach of the year. It seems to me that Sac appears to really build itself on finding incredibly talented individual players that sometimes has shown some issue though playing together as a total team. There’s a lot of interesting cross-overs with some players and coaches on both of these teams and this game is setting up to be a very big one for both the Griz and the Hornets.

Additionally it’s going to be a pretty big day in general. Dave Dickenson will be presented his college football hall of fame award, he’ll be in attendance, and the Griz will be in throwback uniforms. Should be quite the event!

Sacramento State Hornets, 2-1

55-7 win vs St Francis of Illinois: Hosting the NAIA school it went about as one would expect. Sac ran for 230, passed for 400, and held SFU to just 300 total yards of offense. Looks like Sac pulled most of it’s starters before the half.

14-28 loss @ San Diego State: On the road where Bobby used to coach Sac put up one hell of a fight. SDSU opened up a 10 point lead into the 2nd quarter but Sac answered with a TD, making it 10-7, then SDSU tacked on a fieldgoal to make it 13-7 at the half. Mid-way through the 3rd Sac connects on a 68 yard long TD pass and suddenly they’re in the lead, 14-13. From there SDSU locked it in, they did throw a pick on their next series but Sac was really only given 1 more first down on their final 4 possessions while SDSU got in the endzone twice in the 4th quarter (once converting a 2-point conversion). Sac’s numbers weren’t great considering how close the game was for a while, just 53 rushing yards and 181 passing yards and just 4 of 12 on 3rd down. Sac didn’t turn the ball over and did force 2 SDSU turnovers. SDSU had 160 rushing and 270 passing.

28-25 win vs Northern Colorado: Sac continually found themselves chasing UNC through the first 3 quarters of the game. Down 7-0, but tying it, down 14-7 and tying that, and then down 17-14 in the 3rd quarter. It wasn’t until the 4th quarter that Sac got things rolling where they ripped off a 41 yard rush for the go-ahead TD, and then on the following UNC possession Sacked and forced a fumble on their QB, and scored again 5 players later all on Elijah Dotson rushes. Suddenly it’s 28-14 in just about 4:00 of clock time. UNC didn’t go away without a fight, marching down the field on a series of passes to score and get a 2-point conversion to make it 28-25. UNC failed to recover the on-sides though, they did hold Sac to a punt with just 27 seconds left in the game but fumbled the punt return and Sac kneeled out the clock. Sac ran for almost 200 and passed for 240, while UNC had about 320 passing but just 120 on the ground. Lots of lost fumbles in this game, Sac lost 2 while UNC lost 3. Sac’s turnovers were especially costly as one was lost at midfield but another was lost on the UNC 2 yard line.

-------------

General Stats

Passing yards per game Sac (262 for UM vs 275 for Sac)
Rushing yards per game Sac (110 rush ypg for UM vs 157 rush ypg for Sac)
Total offense Sac (373 for the Griz vs 433 for SAC)
Passing yards allowed per game Sac (261 ypg allowed by SAC vs 270 ypg allowed for UM)
Rushing yards allowed per game Montana (75 ypg allowed vs 130 ypg allowed)
Total defense Montana (346 ypg allowed by UM vs 391 ypg allowed by UNI)

4 for Sac St and 2 for Montana

Offense points scored Montana (33.7 vs 32.3)
Defense points allowed Sac (20 vs 23.3)
Turnover margin Sac - UM is +2 while Sac is +3
Fieldgoal % Montana – 100% for Montana / 66.6% for Sac
Punt Returns Montana (10.4 YPR vs 6.5 YPR)
Kick Returns Montana (31.6 for UM vs 15.2 for Sac)
T.O.P. Montana (30:07 for UM vs 25:00 for Sac)
Red Zone defense (touchdowns) Sac (UM 71% / SAC 58% )
Red Zone offense (touchdowns) Sac (69% SAC / 53% UM)
3rd down offense Sac (36% for UM / 41% for Sac)
3rd down defense Montana (UM 37% / SAC 46%)

5 more for Sac and 6 for Montana. Total goes 9 for Sac and 8 for Montana.

---------------------
Players to Watch:

#5 Kevin Thompson, QB: Thompson has an interesting back-story. He was originally a UNLV recruit and was on the team in 2014 and 2015. Meanwhile Griz QB Dalton Sneed redshirted at UNLV in 2015 himself. Thompson set a Sac record for QB efficiency last year and when he finally took over the starting role lead the team in many stats including passing and rushing. He’s a lot like Sneed when you compare the two statistically. He’s 6-2, 205, and this year is averaging about 215 per game passing and just about 20 yards per game rushing. However last year he was averaging 99 yards per game rushing and 222 per game passing. He lead the team last year in rushing TDs with 8. Lots of seminaries in both him and Sneed in terms of what they bring to the team.

#33 Elijah Dotson, RB: Possibly on reason why Thompson’s rushing stats this year aren’t as great is that Dotson has really emerged as the feature back in this offense. He’s 6 feet tall, 190 pounds, and has 203 yards and 2 TDs on the season, he’s also a bit of a pass catching threat too.

#13 Jaelin Ratliff, WR: This dude needs to be accounted for at all times. He’s Sac’s (near) home-run threat WR. A smaller guy at 5-11, 175, he’s leading the team with 217 yards this season but oddly no TDs yet (hence me saying he a near-HR threat). He’s averaging almost 25 yards per reception. Last year he averaged 26.5 yards per catch. He leads the team in catches and yards (217) this season.

#7 Andre Lindsey, WR: To counter-act the smaller Ratliff, Lindsey is a big 6-3, 200 pound WR who finished 2nd team all conference last year with 750 yards and 7 TDs. This season he’s got 142 yards and 1 TD so far.

#99 George Obinna, DE: Probably the best DE in the Big Sky, 6-3, 240 pounds. He was hurt and missed the first two games but played last week and recorded just 2 stops. I assume the goal is to have him fully ready for the Griz. The dude had 12.5 TFLs and 8.5 sacks last year.

#57 Elijah Chambers, DE: Much like how the Griz have seen Dante Olson rise up while Buss works his way back, Chambers has done the same for Sac while Obinna gets back on the field. He’s got a Big Sky best 4.5 sacks, 5 TFLs to go with it, and 1 fumble recovery.

#2 Mister Harriel, S: A 6-1, 200 pound safety Harriel is the ball-hawk of the secondary that last season was one of the Big Sky’s best. So far this year statistically it’s not looked as good, but Harriel already has 2 picks and 4 PBUs to go with 15 tackles on the season. Harriel was also named to the 1st team all-Big Sky this summer.

#8 Caelan Barnes, S: A rotating player last year at safety but starting this season he leads the team so far with 22 tackles, 17 of which are solo. No other major stats to report, but seems like you’ll see #8 around the ball all day long.

-------------------------------

Keys to a Grizzly victory

1. Contain Thompson and force him to make errors. Much easier said than done honestly. The Sac offense last season was really clicking when this guy was on and seems to be doing the same this year. He’s a threat to run and a very efficient passer. The Grizzly front 7 is going to have to keep tabs on him and make sure that he doesn’t burn them with his feet too much. Thompson hasn’t thrown a pick yet this season and isn’t prone to either, but it should would be great if the Griz could steal one.

2. Find a way to keep the Sac D-line from destroying Sneed. The Grizzly O-line has already faced some great talent with opposing D-lines and actually kept the UNI and WIU stars on their lines to marginally quiet days. Trick is that Sac has 2 studs on the edges here. I would assume the Griz will have to game-plan to build an offensive attack that keeps these two out of Sneed’s face all day.

3. Win in turnover margin. Got to eliminate the issues in turnovers the Griz showed last week, while forcing Sac into a few errors of their own. Stats suggest some forced fumbles might be the best way to go. The Griz cannot go -3 again and expect to win.

4. Flip those red zone percentages. In compiling the stats this was a spot of big concern. Sac is better at scoring TDs in the RZ and preventing TDs defensively than the Griz are on both accounts. This could suggest that all things equal we could see some times where Sac’s scoring TDs to the Grizzlies kicking fieldgoals and that’s trouble. Going to need that Grizzly defense to really buckle down.

5. 40% or better for the Griz offense on 3rd down. Interestingly enough that seems to be the Sac St defensive issue early on. 3 games into the season they’re allowing 3rd down conversions 46% of the time. The Grizzly offense HAS to take advantage of that.

6. No lead is safe. Sac in 2017 had 3 or 4 come from behind wins and has 1 this year already. The Griz got beat last week on just that too. Sac has the skill for quick strikes and has a core group of players on offense that will continue to execute even down late.

7. Show improvements on execution issues, especially on special teams. The Griz keep flashing what they could do (JLM punt returns, Flowers TD, pretty good kickoff coverage) and then turnaround and show missed PATs, penalties on returns, and TD allowed on a punt return. I don’t expect a perfect game this weekend from this group, but it needs to show improvement.

--------------------------

Let’s hope the loss last week jarred the Griz to focus on some improvements because if not, I see a Sac win in a hard fought game. Sac presents a style of QB we’ve not yet faced, stud DE-ends, and has a solid track record of late of not being phased through tough games.

However I have some faith in this team and this staff that they’ll have these guys ready to play and improve on what we’ve seen so far. I still expect a lion share of issues in pass coverage and O-line related issues but I’m looking for a step in the right direction this weekend. The Griz are at home, in throwbacks, with Dave in the house… it’s going to be a battle but I’ll say Griz come away from it with a flatter start but a strong finish, 27-17.

GO GRIZ!

Excellent report BW and thank you. :clap:
I believe that #1, 2, 3, and 7 are critically-important. :shock:

BWahlberg said:
Keys to a Grizzly victory

1. Contain Thompson and force him to make errors. Much easier said than done honestly. The Sac offense last season was really clicking when this guy was on and seems to be doing the same this year. He’s a threat to run and a very efficient passer. The Grizzly front 7 is going to have to keep tabs on him and make sure that he doesn’t burn them with his feet too much. Thompson hasn’t thrown a pick yet this season and isn’t prone to either, but it should would be great if the Griz could steal one.

2. Find a way to keep the Sac D-line from destroying Sneed. The Grizzly O-line has already faced some great talent with opposing D-lines and actually kept the UNI and WIU stars on their lines to marginally quiet days. Trick is that Sac has 2 studs on the edges here. I would assume the Griz will have to game-plan to build an offensive attack that keeps these two out of Sneed’s face all day.

3. Win in turnover margin. Got to eliminate the issues in turnovers the Griz showed last week, while forcing Sac into a few errors of their own. Stats suggest some forced fumbles might be the best way to go. The Griz cannot go -3 again and expect to win.

7. Show improvements on execution issues, especially on special teams. The Griz keep flashing what they could do (JLM punt returns, Flowers TD, pretty good kickoff coverage) and then turnaround and show missed PATs, penalties on returns, and TD allowed on a punt return. I don’t expect a perfect game this weekend from this group, but it needs to show improvement.

--------------------------

However I have some faith in this team and this staff that they’ll have these guys ready to play and improve on what we’ve seen so far. I still expect a lion share of issues in pass coverage and O-line related issues but I’m looking for a step in the right direction this weekend. The Griz are at home, in throwbacks, with Dave in the house… it’s going to be a battle but I’ll say Griz come away from it with a flatter start but a strong finish, 27-17.

GO GRIZ!

BW- Great as always. How do you feel about about our match-up vs their corners and linebackers?? I know they are experienced players but after watching Sac play two games, it seems they have trouble being overly aggressive and not keeping containment in their coverage. When they do get beat, it seems like its usually on double moves from WR's, Counter run plays, Delays and out routes. Also their DE seems to over purse and allow room for QB's to leak out of the pocket. I feel like those issues may help our offense find room to operate.

I noticed also that their DE's have shown a tendency to over pursue. I've got to assume that they are aware of this but I don't know what you can do about it. If you have them hold back it creates less pressure on the QB. If they continue to be overly aggressive it gives the opponent opportunities for quick hitters to the outside. The question is whether the Griz will be prepared to take advantage of either possibility?

I personally hope they stay aggressive as that is what we have seen on tape. The Griz simply have to execute better than they did in the 4th qtr last week, (my penchant for stating the obvious).

Field position will be big in this game. Whoever wins the ST battle will win the game! I believe that will be the Grizzlies!

Gaeilge1 said:
I noticed also that their DE's have shown a tendency to over pursue. I've got to assume that they are aware of this but I don't know what you can do about it. If you have them hold back it creates less pressure on the QB. If they continue to be overly aggressive it gives the opponent opportunities for quick hitters to the outside. The question is whether the Griz will be prepared to take advantage of either possibility?

I personally hope they stay aggressive as that is what we have seen on tape. The Griz simply have to execute better than they did in the 4th qtr last week, (my penchant for stating the obvious).

Field position will be big in this game. Whoever wins the ST battle will win the game! I believe that will be the Grizzlies!

I mean their DE's are quick and have good ability to get up and round the corner but I saw a few UNCO runs and SDSU runs where literally right after the snap there was a 4 yard wide hole for the RB or QB to run through. The DEs just rushed the edge and DT swam out, nobody else was home. DB tackling was not good to say the least on the UNCO WR's. That little double in after a catch on the sideline was eating them alive. JLM could have a field day

Thanks, Sadly I know quite a few people with real football and UM information that don't come here anymore because they were tired of reading 90% of the post get turned into fights and pissing matches . not to mention the trolls.

I really like the Griz chances in this matchup.
1. sac st will be playing their third straight road game
2. BH will have ST coverage fixed
3. With DE's that crash as hard as you say will make for huge plays on quick hitters. (gaiegle already pointed this out)
4. Dave Dickenson Day
5. Home game with fired up crowd to see Dave
6. Look for a few new wrinkles now that conference play is here.

K. Thompson QB numbers
175.6 QBR
4 TDS no INTs
11 yards per catch

Sac St also has solid D as stated in BWs report

Diesel said:
K. Thompson QB numbers
175.6 QBR
4 TDS no INTs
11 yards per catch

Define a ""solid D" throw out their D 2 game. They have given up 435 yards a game, almost 300 passing yards. throw out the FBS game and they gave up 440 yards to UNCO and 319 passing. 50% 3rd down conversions and 66% 4th down conversions.

UM vs 3 FCS teams. 370 YPG 262 passing and 110 rushing. allowing only 36% on 3rd and 20% on 4th.

by QBR you mean efficiency. Their QB is very good and efficient. Have a feeling this will be closer than many want to believe but I think we are going to manipulate some things that Sac does and I think we see this team turn a corner and start putting together some really good football games.

mtgrizfankb said:
Diesel said:
K. Thompson QB numbers
175.6 QBR
4 TDS no INTs
11 yards per catch

Define a ""solid D" throw out their D 2 game. They have given up 435 yards a game, almost 300 passing yards. throw out the FBS game and they gave up 440 yards to UNCO and 319 passing. 50% 3rd down conversions and 66% 4th down conversions.

UM vs 3 FCS teams. 370 YPG 262 passing and 110 rushing. allowing only 36% on 3rd and 20% on 4th.

by QBR you mean efficiency. Their QB is very good and efficient. Have a feeling this will be closer than many want to believe but I think we are going to manipulate some things that Sac does and I think we see this team turn a corner and start putting together some really good football games.

I'll echo others KB - you always have great insight. That NAIA game does inflate their stats as well, when it's early in the season stats clearly don't tell the full story. I really think if the Griz can force the QB into some mistakes and don't let him run wild they'll be able to keep a lid on the offense. I went back and noticed last year Sac actually finished with the highest scoring offense in the Big Sky, but of course that was last year.

BWahlberg said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Diesel said:
K. Thompson QB numbers
175.6 QBR
4 TDS no INTs
11 yards per catch

I'll echo others KB - you always have great insight. That NAIA game does inflate their stats as well, when it's early in the season stats clearly don't tell the full story. I really think if the Griz can force the QB into some mistakes and don't let him run wild they'll be able to keep a lid on the offense. I went back and noticed last year Sac actually finished with the highest scoring offense in the Big Sky, but of course that was last year.

Sac St forced 3 turnovers and had 4 sacks against N Col. N Col. lost to McNeese 14-17 N Col isn't a push over.
Sac on road and Griz at home is the biggest advantage. Sac gets turnovers and sacks the home field advantage will go away.

BWahlberg said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Diesel said:
K. Thompson QB numbers
175.6 QBR
4 TDS no INTs
11 yards per catch

Don't get me wrong...Sac is gonna be a good team and probably take down some unsuspecting teams. Do I think they are top 25 good? I haven't seen it yet but man its early in the year still. The thing that in my mind will allow the griz to win this game. Sac has an explosive offense...but its all or nothing. Even their run game is big gains or no gains it seems. THEY WILL get some big plays on Sat...no doubt in my mind. Will they be able move up and down consistently? No I don't think so. Lots of people rag on our DL. Our DL has been very good. Our D scheme is has not been for us to edge rush extremely hard. We have been scheming on keeping DE's and DT inside and stuffing the run and using stunting LB play to get pressure. I haven't taken out a stop watch but watching game replays, QBs have been having to alter their pocket actually pretty early. WIU had a QB that was able to step up when needed and make big throws...will Thompson be able to do that? probably some. but Sac runs LONG drawn out routes. The streak and seams maybe less so but they run deep posts and long crossing routes. I hope that our LB pressure forces quicker passes that they don't like to run.

I also believe that Sac has not been showing great tackling. our WRs are not the group to miss tackles on and I think Eastwood and Sneed have both capitalized on poor tackling at times so far this year.

We will see, its an interesting matchup!

Mavman said:
3. With DE's that crash as hard as you say will make for huge plays on quick hitters. (gaiegle already pointed this out)
4. Dave Dickenson Day

Not sure if you caught it, but Hauck noted on the sports report that the specials were the best they’d been in three games overall. It’s unfortunate there was a missed XP & they let a punt come back for a TD, but having seen it in person & on video a couple of days back, the McShane kid is truly a special talent. I think he’s the best running back they’ll see this season. Minus his exploits, Griz get the W easily despite making one of their receivers look all-world.

bgbigdog said:
Mavman said:
4. Dave Dickenson Day

Not sure if you caught it, but Hauck noted on the sports report that the specials were the best they’d been in three games overall. It’s unfortunate there was a missed XP & they let a punt come back for a TD, but having seen it in person & on video a couple of days back, the McShane kid is truly a special talent. I think he’s the best running back they’ll see this season. Minus his exploits, Griz get the W easily despite making one of their receivers look all-world.

Totally agree Mcshane scared me when I watched him play the cats. Missed XP happen they just do.
I was just pointing out that two returns in two games will not sit well with Hauck and he will tweak something. McShane is for real but you know Hauck believes no matter who is back returning whether
it is Devon Hestor, Eric metcalf or Desmond Howard his team should not give up a return for touchdown!

BWahlberg said:

4. Flip those red zone percentages. In compiling the stats this was a spot of big concern. Sac is better at scoring TDs in the RZ and preventing TDs defensively than the Griz are on both accounts. This could suggest that all things equal we could see some times where Sac’s scoring TDs to the Grizzlies kicking fieldgoals and that’s trouble. Going to need that Grizzly defense to really buckle down.

GO GRIZ!

These 2 are huge. 14 pts off WR receiver fumbles last week was the killer stat. We have to consistently win the TO battle at home or on the road. This is obvious to everyone, but becomes even more so when on the road or in a tough home game.

BH said he went for it on 4th and short near the goal line because he didn't think a FG would be enough. He turned out to be correct, but running an unsuccessful short dive play with our OL and RB's was never going to do it. Not last week and not this week. Our strength on offense is our mobile QB and our receiving corps. 3 pts is better than losing yds on 4th and short.

behappp said:
BWahlberg said:

GO GRIZ!

These 2 are huge. 14 pts off WR receiver fumbles last week was the killer stat. We have to consistently win the TO battle at home or on the road. This is obvious to everyone, but becomes even more so when on the road or in a tough home game.

BH said he went for it on 4th and short near the goal line because he didn't think a FG would be enough. He turned out to be correct, but running an unsuccessful short dive play with our OL and RB's was never going to do it. Not last week and not this week. Our strength on offense is our mobile QB and our receiving corps. 3 pts is better than losing yds on 4th and short.

Except when we ran a short dive play for a touchdown. or when we ran a short dive play that went for a TD the week before.

Back