• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Meltdown

BWahlberg

DONOR
The Griz are headed home after a frustrating meltdown on the road, where they spotted Western Illinois 28 points over the span of just 10 total plays. I had a big concern that a young and inexperienced Griz team would flash some catastrophic issues... and unfortunately that happened to a point where too many mistakes cost this team a game they probably should have won.

It's a challenge to me because all through the spring and summer I thought the Griz would be 2-1 at this point with wins at home and a loss here on the road. But having them come away from this game with a loss where they should have won... that just clouds the "we're right where I thought we'd be" rationale.

My general thoughts after processing on the game and reviewing the stats, let's start with the good stuff:

- We actually saw a few running plays as the game went on work well as I'd assume the coaching staff would ideally like to see. Eastwood and Lee with some good rushes. I liked the use of JLM on the jet-sweep too, while probably not the most sustainable play, it helped. The Griz had their best rushing game of the season with 140 on the ground and nearly 4 yards per carry.

- Once again we're seeing Akem continue his rise, another great day with 2 TDs and some more incredible grabs. This guy is stepping up bigtime.

- Awesome to see Flowers take one for a TD. That really helped the Griz get the momentum back their way and stop the bleeding early.

- Speaking on that, and as tweeted to me post-game, a big takeaway from this game to me was that this team didn't seem to be "shell-shocked" like prior Stitt-coached teams would get. Down 14-0 they responded and scored 18 unanswered to take the lead. A good testament to the work this staff is doing and the commitment these players have made to working on this. If they can keep building on this their resolve and fight will only improve this year.

- Another great game for Olson and it would seem that this guy is no fluke. Was also good to see some more individual pressure from D-line players, but it still needs to improve.

- I thought that while Justin Calhoun was out with his injury (stinger?) that Cowans did well, it was tough to tell completely with that crap-ass broadcast though.

- Semenza continues a good stretch of being perfect on feildgoals... I know that missed PAT is costly, I'll get into that shortly. However it seems that for now he's a pretty damn reliable guy when it comes to fieldgoals.

- Defense only allows 45 rushing yards on 21 attempts, I like it. I know that WIU made their gains through the air (360 yards) but overall I liked the rush defense. Of course can't say that without mentioning the last WIU run of the game, when a stop was needed their little RB blows through the defense for a game-sealing first down... ugh.

Alright, and the not-so-good stuff:

- This team will only go as far as the offensive line allows it to. What baffled me today was that there was some flashes of good run blocking, and other times of good pass protection. However it was so inconsistent, and when needed the most... it wasn't there. 4th and 1 on the WIU 5... stuffed. 3rd and 10 at midfield with the game on the line... the whole O-line misses every D-lineman and they get a sack. And then there was the penalties. While some were debatable in terms of if they should be called or not, they turned to be very costly. Late in the 1st half there's a false start right after a big first down and it sets the team back. Then just a few plays later Sneed hits Toure at the 2 yard line on an amazing catch... but it's wiped out on accord of a holding call. Those penalties took 3 to 7 points off the board. Late 3rd quarter Griz are moving, across midfield... but another damn holding call sets them back and once again they have to punt. It's no surprise to anyone that this is the primary source of concern for the 2018 Griz and this was a key factor to this loss.

- Sneed missed too many throws that he needs to make. Too many times he had targets open that he'd rifle shots over their heads. His pick late in the first half was a big mistake into heavy coverage. Other times he'd still make completions, like an early connection where Akem beat his cover up the sideline, but the pass was placed so high that Akem had to tip it and dive to catch it. That should have been a TD... the drive ended in a fieldgoal instead. There were some mid to deeper sidline and mid-field shots too that were too far overthrown, and even a few on free plays catching WIU offsides that were not thrown in a spot were a Griz WR stood a good chance to make a catch.

- Semenza's now missed 2 PATs. While the final score of the game wasn't a 1 point difference it did change what was needed in that final drive, a TD instead of a potential tying fieldgoal kick.

- Up 10 with 7 minutes to go and the punt team just lets the WIU star get loose on them... all up the sideline as the Griz players fall all over themselves... you could sense the wheels were falling off. Punched in the mouth late and unable to respond.

- WIU probably could've had 400+ passing yards if not for some drops. The Grizzly pass defense was burnt the whole day.

- Two fumbles (one lost) by Griz WR's attempting to just stretch another yard or two out of a catch. One would wind up giving WIU the go-ahead.

- I would've taken the points on that 4th and 1 at the 5. Yes I know the Griz defense held WIU to a 3 and out and then score a TD on the next drive, however what's not to say they would've have done that after a fieldgoal, forced 3 and out, and then another drive?

-------------

I have good faith that this team is going to rebound from this loss. There's too much experience in this coaching staff and solid junior/senior leadership from this team not to correct it. Conference play starts now and the Griz need a big home win to right the ship. Rest up, learn from it, get better, and kick some ass this week.

Go Griz!

To me, it wasn't a meltdown. It was just a loss where the Griz let a winnable game slip away. Really, it was just big and key mistakes, mostly not by young players.

How many times have the Griz ever one where the turnover count was 5 (Griz) to 1 (or whatever it was)?

I hope this will be a big learning experience.

After SS next Saturday, the Griz will have a lot of road games. They need to win those road games.

I like this team. Think they will do well. So far, they look more like a Hauck team than a Stitt team.

PlayerRep said:
To me, it wasn't a meltdown. It was just a loss where the Griz let a winnable game slip away. Really, it was just big and key mistakes, mostly not by young players.

How many times have the Griz ever one where the turnover count was 5 (Griz) to 1 (or whatever it was)?

After SS next Saturday, the Griz will have a lot of road games. They need to win those road games.

I like this team. Think they will do well. So far, they look more like a Hauck team than a Stitt team.

Up 10, 7 min to go, give up a punt return, lose a 3rd turnover to lead to a TD, and then don't protect the QB to let them set up a chance to win. Feels like a meltdown to me. Had the game, let it slip thru their fingers. They'll learn from it and improve. I would imagine they're just pissed they let it get away, this was one they should have won.

"Sneed missed too many throws that he needs to make."

Dozens of points in the game we could have said, what if. Mistakes, inexperience, missed assignments, just getting beaten by better athletes, coaching decisions. A number of things could have changed the outcome but yes, this troubled me greatly today.

"....that he needs to make."

I dont disagree with you rep but there is a factor to some of the youth used vicariously. Youth of upper class men in new positions. Youth in not taking proper angles to force a punt returner out. I dont consider youth as a simple underclassman definition but it is apparent.
The team stayed in it, on the road. They just need time and reps.

So many are dwelling on not kicking the FG, but even if they did, there is no telling how the rest of the game plays out.

grizindabox said:
So many are dwelling on not kicking the FG, but even if they did, there is no telling how the rest of the game plays out.

True--but, if you are on the road in that situation, you take the points. That was a fuck up that I would think the coaches would own. Lets just be honest about it.

BWahlberg said:
PlayerRep said:

Up 10, 7 min to go, give up a punt return, lose a 3rd turnover to lead to a TD, and then don't protect the QB to let them set up a chance to win. Feels like a meltdown to me. Had the game, let it slip thru their fingers. They'll learn from it and improve. I would imagine they're just pissed they let it get away, this was one they should have won.

I don't agree. That is not a meltdown. It's just letting the game slip away. Like you said: "slip through their fingers". Yup, pissed they "let it get away". Not a meltdown. Meltdowns are much bigger and worse then this, in my view.

Dmontanagrizzlies said:
I dont disagree with you rep but there is a factor to some of the youth used vicariously. Youth of upper class men in new positions. Youth in not taking proper angles to force a punt returner out. I dont consider youth as a simple underclassman definition but it is apparent.
The team stayed in it, on the road. They just need time and reps.

Yup. I think the team is in the ballpark.

grizindabox said:

I agree. Not taking the FG had virtually noting to do with the outcome the game. There were multiple other things after that, that determined the outcome of the game.

Ursa Major said:
grizindabox said:

True--but, if you are on the road in that situation, you take the points. That was a f*** up that I would think the coaches would own. Lets just be honest about it.

What are you talking about? You've been listening to too many NFL announcers. College football is a very different game. Not trying the FG had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome the game today. Zero.

I was seriously impressed with how your guys were playing, cruising to a big win. And my cousin (big griz fan) calls, i get off the phone turn the game back on and bam you guys are down! Wow crazy game. Seriously though, you guys got some great kids playing lights out. Neither of our teams are national championship contenders, shoot neither of us belong in the playoffs. But Bobby has got them playing very well for year one, its only going to get better.

PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
grizindabox said:

True--but, if you are on the road in that situation, you take the points. That was a f*** up that I would think the coaches would own. Lets just be honest about it.

What are you talking about? You've been listening to too many NFL announcers. College football is a very different game. Not trying the FG had absolutely nothing to do with the outcome the game today. Zero.
I haven't watched NFL football since the 90's. If you can't admit it was a mistake, I can't help you. Just be intellectually honest--it was a mistake. Most coaches in that situation on the road take the fucking points and with our offense today--they don't run up the middle to attempt to get the first down. I hope BH is honest enough to admit the mistake. That doesn't mean the outcome of the game changes, especially when we can't even make a PAT.

SeattleBobcat said:
I was seriously impressed with how your guys were playing, cruising to a big win. And my cousin (big griz fan) calls, i get off the phone turn the game back on and bam you guys are down! Wow crazy game. Seriously though, you guys got some great kids playing lights out. Neither of our teams are national championship contenders, shoot neither of us belong in the playoffs. But Bobby has got them playing very well for year one, its only going to get better.

Seems so obvious to me.

Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
grizindabox said:

I haven't watched NFL football since the 90's. If you can't admit it was a mistake, I can't help you. Just be intellectually honest--it was a mistake. Most coaches in that situation on the road take the f***[*] points and with our offense today--they don't run up the middle to attempt to get the first down. I hope BH is honest enough to admit the mistake. That doesn't mean the outcome of the game changes, especially when we can't even make a PAT.

It wasn't a mistake at all. If you don't know that, then I can't help you.

If the Griz pick up the first down, the Griz win. As it turned out, they didn't and the lack of FG had zero outcome on the result of the game. Do we you really think that if the Griz get 3 then, they don't lose the game. Recall that we lost by 4.

PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:

I haven't watched NFL football since the 90's. If you can't admit it was a mistake, I can't help you. Just be intellectually honest--it was a mistake. Most coaches in that situation on the road take the f***[*] points and with our offense today--they don't run up the middle to attempt to get the first down. I hope BH is honest enough to admit the mistake. That doesn't mean the outcome of the game changes, especially when we can't even make a PAT.

If the Griz pick up the first down, the Griz win. As it turned out, they didn't and the lack of FG had zero outcome on the result of the game. Do we you really think that if the Griz get 3 then, they don't lose the game. Recall that we lost by 4.

It would have been a tie if we could kick a fucking PAT. 3 plus 1 = 4. Stop making shit up--I agreed with box that it wasn't the reason we lost.

PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:

Exactly. Not sure how some of these people believe a 3 point FG erases a 4 point deficit

Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:

It would have been a tie if we could kick a f***[*] PAT. 3 plus 1 = 4. Stop making shit up--I agreed with box that it wasn't the reason we lost.
If this, if that. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride

RobGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:

It would have been a tie if we could kick a f***[*] PAT. 3 plus 1 = 4. Stop making shit up--I agreed with box that it wasn't the reason we lost.
If this, if that. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride

I'm saying it was a mistake, Rob. I'm NOT saying it cost us the game.

Back