• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's status of Reese Phillips?

George Ferguson said:
Denied eligibility to play in the NAIA. Crazy as that sounds.

Do they give a reason or do they even have to give one? What could be the sense in not letting him play. He didn’t even make 2.5 games last year.

alabamagrizzly said:
George Ferguson said:
Do they give a reason or do they even have to give one? What could be the sense in not letting him play. He didn’t even make 2.5 games last year.
Already burned too much eligibility ... would have taken a "special hardship" decision for the NCAA or the NAIA. He apparently didn't get it. Here's an article from last January that goes into the problem:
http://406mtsports.com/college/big-...cle_5d82e35a-b836-54d6-9b83-6cc1f21af7ba.html
The author does seem to feel Reese could make a case, based on when his injuries happened. The NAIA apparently didn't agree. And maybe they think they're doing the young man a favor ("for his own good") in keeping him off a football field.

IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
George Ferguson said:
Already burned too much eligibility ... would have taken a "special hardship" decision for the NCAA or the NAIA. He apparently didn't get it. Here's an article from last January that goes into the problem:
http://406mtsports.com/college/big-...cle_5d82e35a-b836-54d6-9b83-6cc1f21af7ba.html
The author does seem to feel Reese could make a case, based on when his injuries happened. The NAIA apparently didn't agree. And maybe they think they're doing the young man a favor ("for his own good") in keeping him off a football field.

I just skimmed the article, but saw nothing on the naia's rules. Assume naia wouldn't have to abide by ncaa rules, and always thought naia was very lenient.

If naia made the decision, I wonder if they didn't want to give one team an incredible advantage by allowing the SEC/UM quality qb to play for an naia team.

Seems odd to me. I agree. Let the kid play, if he has been able to rehab. The kid started 3 games in his entire college career. He played "all" of only 2 games.

IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
George Ferguson said:
For Reese's sake, I'm not so sure I would like to see that leg get hit again. And it is very unlikely that he could retain his mobility.

NAIA has more lenient rules on eligibility but they also take into consideration of the semesters spent in school. I played with a guy who started at a bc school dropped out and wanted to play few years later. He was granted a year and the next year was denied.

Bearcountry92 said:
NAIA has more lenient rules on eligibility but they also take into consideration of the semesters spent in school. I played with a guy who started at a bc school dropped out and wanted to play few years later. He was granted a year and the next year was denied.

I played with a guy very similar situation...he played QB as well. Can't remember about a second year try, but I'm old and forget stuff like that.

Back