Good, Bad, Ugly - Sac St

Get the low down on Griz/FCS Football
Post Reply
HookedonGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 8365
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

Good:
- second straight week putting up 60+
- Gus played very, very well again. The game seems to have slowed down for him
- 128 unanswered points. I don't care if that's flag football in the school yard, that is impressive
- Buss, one of the best linebackers I've seen and he's only a sophomore
- kidder continues to wreak absolute havok
-14 different receivers caught a ball.....14!
- Calhoun continues to have that unteachable talent of just finding the end zone
- Bingham is scary good, and only a redshirt freshman
- curran continues to look great and has really answered the challenge from sitting out a game
- the blocks by the receivers on the perimeter. This unit can block extremely well.
- lamarriel Taylor's and Eatons first catch as Griz
- was happy to see Counts stay healthy and run well and find the end zone
- glad to see nyugen get a long TD. Has some it all for this team and deserved a play like that
- solid play from 2s and 3s and a glimpse into some future Griz stars
- Ryan Johnson and tucker Schye continue to get insane pressure
- strong's pick 6....and even better when Stitt congratulated him he said "Coach, thank you for getting me here." This kid is the best transfer in the Big Sky IMO.

Bad: not much bad really so these are probably a bit picky
- another first series 3 and out
- a few bad angles and tackling issues by Yamen and others (is he 100%?)

Ugly:
- 2 more missed PATs. That is at least 1-2 missed PATs in the last 3 games. Not cool at all. Is it time to let the lefty kick PATs and let Tim handle kickoffs and FGs. It's become a mental issue I'm afraid. If it costs a game we are going to lose our s#*t



5-1 and NAU is next. Would love to see the Griz win there and get to 6-1 with EWU, ISU, NOCO, and MSU left.
granitegriz
Posts: 1968
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Drummond, MT

Great summary! Spot on!
StumptownGriz
Posts: 751
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:48 am

Nothing to add other than I love these Good, Bad, Ugly wrap ups! Thanks Hooked!
User avatar
Htowngriz
Posts: 3191
Joined: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:13 pm

StumptownGriz wrote:Nothing to add other than I love these Good, Bad, Ugly wrap ups! Thanks Hooked!
+1

Also hope the bad and ugly portions continue to be as short as they have.
HookedonGriz
eGriz Club
Posts: 8365
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:18 pm

StumptownGriz wrote:Nothing to add other than I love these Good, Bad, Ugly wrap ups! Thanks Hooked!
Thanks for the feedback! I agree, hoping the bad and ugly portions remain small.
Diesel
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:17 pm

Ugly PI call against Sanders. Ugly Sanders avoiding contact with RB, if he is not healthy enough to tackle, sit and get healthy. Like his coverage and his leadership.

Good depth on both sides of the ball, Brady and Chalich look like seniors. Jon's long run was well deserved. May not be the best athlete in the RB core, but he is a senior and the leader keep starting him(solid on and off the field).

Bad showing for Phillips. He's got time to step up. Kicking game and kick coverage may need some personel changes.
AZDoc
Posts: 4154
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:00 pm
Location: Back in AZ

Diesel wrote:Ugly PI call against Sanders. Ugly Sanders avoiding contact with RB, if he is not healthy enough to tackle, sit and get healthy. Like his coverage and his leadership.

Good depth on both sides of the ball, Brady and Chalich look like seniors. Jon's long run was well deserved. May not be the best athlete in the RB core, but he is a senior and the leader keep starting him(solid on and off the field).

Bad showing for Phillips. He's got time to step up. Kicking game and kick coverage may need some personel changes.
I agree. I think that he will get it at some point and will be special next year with GJ as a good duo to have.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool-Bill Shakespeare
What a Fool Believes-The Doobie Brothers
Diesel
Posts: 1155
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:17 pm

AZDoc wrote:
Diesel wrote:Ugly PI call against Sanders. Ugly Sanders avoiding contact with RB, if he is not healthy enough to tackle, sit and get healthy. Like his coverage and his leadership.

Good depth on both sides of the ball, Brady and Chalich look like seniors. Jon's long run was well deserved. May not be the best athlete in the RB core, but he is a senior and the leader keep starting him(solid on and off the field).

Bad showing for Phillips. He's got time to step up. Kicking game and kick coverage may need some personel changes.
I agree. I think that he will get it at some point and will be special next year with GJ as a good duo to have.
There is also BG's mini-me Connor Kaegi 6'7" soph looks to be #4 in depth chart this year and Brandon Bea fresh. Lot's of depth
mcg
eGriz Club
Posts: 2394
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:58 pm

I didn't think Monte had his best game. I suppose it's hard to bring your "A game" in a sixty point victory.
User avatar
BWahlberg
eGriz Club
Posts: 25554
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:53 pm
Location: Missoula

Really nit-picking but I'd add in:

Bad

- a few times that the Sac running back had a lot of room once through the LOS. They probably should've had another rushing TD earlier but the back inexplicably turned to the sideline and right into a tackle by McKinley. Obviously Sac's actual scored TD was the same.

- A couple of drops by WRs when they were open and looking up the field before the ball got to them, mostly 2nd string.

- One play late in the 4th the Griz safeties chased the outside WRs and left the Sac TE allllll alone, fortunately their QB didn't see it and threw a corner fade that fell incomplete.

Ugly:

- Sac State. That was an embarrassment of a team for our conference, they have been that way for a few years now too. Considering the size of their campus and the resources they should have - they should be able to field a decent team more often than not, but they never do. It seems there's some talent on the team but it's a horribly unorganized group. Additionally it's very undisciplined as evidenced by a drive that Sac pretty much single-handedly let happen by penalty yards including two or three personal fouls.
Griz practice and news updates http://twitter.com/Bwahlberg

Brint Wahlberg - Realtor, Windermere Real Estate

The official REALTOR(R) of Grizzly Athletics
Image
User avatar
Ringneck
Posts: 610
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:09 am
Location: Eastern MT

BWahlberg wrote:Ugly: Sac State. That was an embarrassment of a team for our conference, they have been that way for a few years now too. Considering the size of their campus and the resources they should have - they should be able to field a decent team more often than not, but they never do. It seems there's some talent on the team but it's a horribly unorganized group. Additionally it's very undisciplined as evidenced by a drive that Sac pretty much single-handedly let happen by penalty yards including two or three personal fouls.
Agreed, they were horrible. If given a chance, I honestly think our 2nd string O & D could have put together a win against the Hornets. The bottom 1/3 of the Big Sky is really awful, and that doesn't benefit anyone in the Conference. I wouldn't miss Sacramento State or UC Davis if they decided to take a flying leap.
"Fathers are alright and I'm not knocking them - since I'm one myself - but from a kid's point of view they spend entirely too much time at a thing called 'the office' or some other equally boring place of work." ~ Patrick F. McManus
User avatar
BWahlberg
eGriz Club
Posts: 25554
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2003 10:53 pm
Location: Missoula

Ringneck wrote:
BWahlberg wrote:Ugly: Sac State. That was an embarrassment of a team for our conference, they have been that way for a few years now too. Considering the size of their campus and the resources they should have - they should be able to field a decent team more often than not, but they never do. It seems there's some talent on the team but it's a horribly unorganized group. Additionally it's very undisciplined as evidenced by a drive that Sac pretty much single-handedly let happen by penalty yards including two or three personal fouls.
Agreed, they were horrible. If given a chance, I honestly think our 2nd string O & D could have put together a win against the Hornets. The bottom 1/3 of the Big Sky is really awful, and that doesn't benefit anyone in the Conference. I wouldn't miss Sacramento State or UC Davis if they decided to take a flying leap.
Technically our 2nd/3rd string did beat them 21-7
Griz practice and news updates http://twitter.com/Bwahlberg

Brint Wahlberg - Realtor, Windermere Real Estate

The official REALTOR(R) of Grizzly Athletics
Image
SaskGriz
Posts: 2521
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am
Location: The Great White North

In terms of Semenza's misses, they are almost all "pushed" to the right. For a right foot kicker the first thing took look at is if he's opening up his right shoulder too early. After that it could be that he is overstriding the last step in his plant/approach? This is assuming the hold is fine, and it looks like it is from what I can see, without the benefit of slow motion.
Last edited by SaskGriz on Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
granitegriz
Posts: 1968
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Drummond, MT

I think you are spot on regarding the shoulder issue Sask! :thumb:
coyote
eGriz Club
Posts: 2776
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2004 10:43 am

BWahlberg wrote:Really nit-picking but I'd add in:

Bad

- a few times that the Sac running back had a lot of room once through the LOS. They probably should've had another rushing TD earlier but the back inexplicably turned to the sideline and right into a tackle by McKinley. Obviously Sac's actual scored TD was the same.

- A couple of drops by WRs when they were open and looking up the field before the ball got to them, mostly 2nd string.

- One play late in the 4th the Griz safeties chased the outside WRs and left the Sac TE allllll alone, fortunately their QB didn't see it and threw a corner fade that fell incomplete.

Ugly:

- Sac State. That was an embarrassment of a team for our conference, they have been that way for a few years now too. Considering the size of their campus and the resources they should have - they should be able to field a decent team more often than not, but they never do. It seems there's some talent on the team but it's a horribly unorganized group. Additionally it's very undisciplined as evidenced by a drive that Sac pretty much single-handedly let happen by penalty yards including two or three personal fouls.
Maybe if Sac brought the Pam back!!!
User avatar
Brock Landers
Posts: 1502
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:30 pm
Location: Kittyland

This season actually seems like the first time in a long time where our second/third string has come in and continued to dominate. Even OPSU actually kept things pretty even once the starters were pulled. Guess that speaks to the depth of talent we've built this year.

Granted this was against Sac and MVSU, but still. Progress.
User avatar
Ringneck
Posts: 610
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:09 am
Location: Eastern MT

BWahlberg wrote:Technically our 2nd/3rd string did beat them 21-7
Touché!
"Fathers are alright and I'm not knocking them - since I'm one myself - but from a kid's point of view they spend entirely too much time at a thing called 'the office' or some other equally boring place of work." ~ Patrick F. McManus
User avatar
Ringneck
Posts: 610
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:09 am
Location: Eastern MT

SaskGriz wrote:In terms of Semenza's misses, they are almost all "pushed" to the right. For a right foot kicker the first thing took look at is if he's opening up his right shoulder too early. After that it could be that he is overstriding the last step in his plant/approach? This is assuming the hold is fine, and it looks like it is from what I can see, without the benefit of slow motion.
Whoa, actual knowledge! :-o
Good stuff, eh.
"Fathers are alright and I'm not knocking them - since I'm one myself - but from a kid's point of view they spend entirely too much time at a thing called 'the office' or some other equally boring place of work." ~ Patrick F. McManus
SaskGriz
Posts: 2521
Joined: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:55 am
Location: The Great White North

Ringneck wrote:
SaskGriz wrote:In terms of Semenza's misses, they are almost all "pushed" to the right. For a right foot kicker the first thing took look at is if he's opening up his right shoulder too early. After that it could be that he is overstriding the last step in his plant/approach? This is assuming the hold is fine, and it looks like it is from what I can see, without the benefit of slow motion.
Whoa, actual knowledge! :-o
Good stuff, eh.
Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then, ya'll.
G-BEARS
Posts: 992
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:02 am

Yemen Sanders should not be starting. He's a liability at this point.
Post Reply