• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Quick scrimmage write up

BWahlberg

DONOR
Busy day for me, just taking a quick moment to share some thoughts and observations on the day. Even though it was early it was still really hot out there, especially on the field. Guys were pretty worn down, I think they have the rest of today to re charge which is good. There were a handful of guys that suited up but did not play like Jamaal Jones and Taylor Walcott. Oiland, one of the Hines brothers (#65) are still out, as well as two other Oline guys, I think Deitrich and Weyer. That left the Oline a little thin. The starting group was Schmaing at tackle, Poole at guard (yep), Hines (#66) at center, Pohels at guard, and Kistler at center. TraVon Van was out, Clay Pierson was out, Gavin Hagfors I think was also out. On the defensive side I know Josh Dennard was out and the younger Mick Delaney was out as well as Steven Rominger. As I understand many of these players who are out were because of some more minor things. TraVon is the one that worries me the most.

My general/quick observations:

- The kicking game all around was very much improved. The opening drills showed Lider, Worst, and Greenberg all hitting most of their kicks. What I've noticed is that each has their own holder and I believe the Billings WR, Ryan Burke, is the short-snapper and that's worked wonders with the snaps and holds. Cam Warren holds for Lider, Shay Smithwick for Greenberg, and Hermey for Worst. Greenberg had a very good day, his power has improved as he hit two near-50 yard fieldgoals. Lider I think still has the better overall leg strength however he did miss one wide (might have missed two I'll have to double check). Worst has the best trajectory off his foot, all are high end over end kicks but has a little less power.

- Jordy lead one very good drive which featured finding an open Ellis Henderson for 41 yards. Other than that Jordy's drives were stopped with steady consistency by the defense.

- The reason why most were stopped was the rush defense. This scrimmage was probably a 2:1 ratio of run vs pass and the front 7 came to play. I think they only gave up one run over 10 yards and consistently stopped ball carriers for 1 or 2 yard gains. Counts, Canada, Miles, or Favors - it didn't matter. The D-ends (all four, Wags, Holmes, Peevey, and Holmes) were cutting off outside lanes and the linebackers were cleaning it up. JP the most, I think he had multiple TFLs. Also a good sign in the running game was Goodwin and Murray coming up and challenging the runners making a few stops each to keep a running play at 3 or 4 yards.

- Two interceptions today, Tucker Schye's he fell into zone coverage and Gustafson did not see him, threw right at him for an easy pick which Schye turned into a touchdown. Jordy threw one as well which Jordan Tripp snagged and returned 31 yards. That one JJ was flushed out of the pocket and Tripp was trailing upfield about 15 yards beyond the line of scrimmage.

- The fullback we have from Boise, man that guy is a load of bricks. Put a few guys on their backs maybe the more impressive hit was on a special teams drill where he smacked a linebacker so hard it rolled the guy over backwards. He does have a nose for connecting with the 1st would-be tackler, our running backs are going to love this guy.

- 2nd string Oline was a bit of a mess with a few of their guys out, QBs had steady pressure.

- Right now it looks like Smithwick-Hann has the leg-up on Mikinney for 2nd string QB.

- Some younger defensive secondary guys made a few plays, JR Nelson had a nice break up on a pass, Gamboa and Whitted a few good tackles.

- Maybe the best play of the scrimmage was JJ picking up a 3rd and 10 to Marq Rogers. Jordy put it just a little high and in a tight window, Rogers goes up, gets it, takes a brutal shot from Whitted and hangs on. He's making the most of what he's been given, this guy keeps impressing me.

Concerns that I saw:

- Stephen Shaw's punts weren't as good when he had a punt rush on him, a few shanks.

- The amount of guys out right now, hopefully they work their way back in this week.

- Run blocking overall (kind of hard to say though, either the Oline run blocks well or the Dline/LBs defend it well)

- Lack of focus/intensity at times. Lots of walking, some mental errors, JJ had two snaps go through his hands, personnel issues at times, coaches having to grab "just anybody" for one fieldgoal attempt to block the edge. Stuff like that, regardless how tired and worn all those guys are shouldn't be happening.

---------
Good day for the defense, I think it's a good indicator that our run D is solid and not just with our starting group but with the backups too. Offense needs to pick it up some more.

Worst definitely has the stronger foot than Greenberg and the better accuracy. Worst should be 2, at the least, and I'd have to say I don't see a place for Greenberg.

thanks brint....still not much being said about our safety players.....are they not being challenged?
are they covering so well that their receivers are not getting thrown to?
we hear alot about the front 7 and goodwin, dennard and murray etc but nothing about tully and hermey other than he holds for worst......
is this good or scary?

good to hear that whitted is still hitting like he was in spring practice and that gamboa is still in the news.

Isn't it usually around this time of year that the d seems to have the offenses number - both on run and pass plays because they've seen just about everything the offense has been working on? Considering the run game has been pretty decent - at least according to reports - I'm not too worried about it.

sounds like we don't have enough healthy o line guys to field a full first and second team o line. that could've been the prob today. hard to get in a rhythm. seems like a general lack of bodies.

brint. why the concern about van. bad injury or lack of reps.

"junior running back Travon Van has been sidelined by a knee injury. Van said he hopes to return to practice “in a few days”.

From today's Missoulian.

How awful must the other qb's be to have Smithwick-Hann as the number 2? If JJ goes down at all this year (knock on wood) the Griz are screwed.

PlayerRep said:
"junior running back Travon Van has been sidelined by a knee injury. Van said he hopes to return to practice “in a few days”.

From today's Missoulian.
thank you.

NLGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
PlayerRep said:

From today's Missoulian.
thank you.
Yes, Thank you.

His knee was wrapped, he was walking ok on it but there was a noticeable limp. No crutches or anything, he might've been limping b/c of how tight the wrap was, I'm not sure.

I'm betting they let him take the last week to rest up and be ready for App.

zirge said:
thanks brint....still not much being said about our safety players.....are they not being challenged?
are they covering so well that their receivers are not getting thrown to?
we hear alot about the front 7 and goodwin, dennard and murray etc but nothing about tully and hermey other than he holds for worst......
is this good or scary?

good to hear that whitted is still hitting like he was in spring practice and that gamboa is still in the news.

They weren't challenged much today, that's for sure, maybe a handful of pass attempts longer than 15 yards.

grizfan95 said:
Worst definitely has the stronger foot than Greenberg and the better accuracy. Worst should be 2, at the least, and I'd have to say I don't see a place for Greenberg.

I saw it the other way around, in the 1st scrimmage Worst just barely cleared a 48 yarder and on an attempt before that was well short. Today Greenberg knocked both through from that distance, I think Worst also hit his from that distance as well.

I was pleasantly surprised by the kickers, after the doomsday stuff I have read here. Lider better be noterizing his checks..

Griz2k said:
How awful must the other qb's be to have Smithwick-Hann as the number 2? If JJ goes down at all this year (knock on wood) the Griz are screwed.
For sure. Leadfoot. 2012 all over again. Hard to believe Gustofson is not a better bet. Giving him the playing time speeds his development. SSH - we know his ceiling. I'm planning on some blowout games where we can work in the young guys and give the starters a break for the 16 game season..... Please don't use it on upper classman out of loyalty. We need to develop the young guys for the future; Mick's priority may not be for the future.

kemajic said:
Griz2k said:
For sure. Leadfoot. 2012 all over again. Hard to believe Gustofson is not a better bet. Giving him the playing time speeds his development. SSH - we know his ceiling. I'm planning on some blowout games where we can work in the young guys and give the starters a break for the 16 game season..... Please don't use it on upper classman out of loyalty. We need to develop the young guys for the future; Mick's priority may not be for the future.

Well said.

I agree. Give the young guys the reps. because Gustafson worries me. Two scrimmages and two picks. He has to clean that up at this level. One was picked by a freshman ( who will be awesome by the way).

Copper Griz said:
I agree. Give the young guys the reps. because Gustafson worries me. Two scrimmages and two picks. He has to clean that up at this level. One was picked by a freshman ( who will be awesome by the way).

weren't both by frosh??? (Strahm and Schye)

Back