• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How would you feel about 1AA in all sports?

ronbo

A WKU fan has posted that there is fear at his school that the NCAA may force a re-classification to 1A and 1AA in all sports. That's why they are considering the move in Football to save their higher profile Basketball program. This of course is just a rumor and speculation.

I have wondered myself if the large greedy Universities would try to shut the little guys out of the Basketball money too.

But, if they went to 1AA in Basketball and other sports how would you feel about that? We could actually compete for National Championships in Basketball.

That's exactly the point. They are afraid of e re-classification of smaller schools to a 1AA in Basketball. Or it could be called something else. With the extreme popularity of the Big Dance and the big bucks involved with TV and such the "Big Boys" might want to shut the "Little Guys" out of that too.

It's an interesting discussion point. Many of the same fans that oppose a football move to IA because the Griz wouldn't stand a chance probably still find a basketball trip to the Big Dance exciting. People love to see the Griz make the NCAA basketball tournament even though Montana doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of making it beyond the first game.

But how do you create a pure I-AA sports division? Football was based largely on affordability. Those extra 22 scholarships for IA are expensive, which makes it easy to force 121 schools into a econo-football league. Basketball isn't that expensive. It can be, but look at Gonzaga, a good school and a good basketball team, but very low budget. What about St. Bonaventure or St. Johns? Private schools can put good programs together, but usually don't have the budget reliability of a state school.

So, do you draw the line according to enrollment? There are some good small schools in Div. I. And what about those athletes in individual sports like track and field who go far performing for less prominent schools? The Big Sky has had several athletes like that.

I-AA should stay a football only thing.

With all the movement in NCAA athletics right now I would not at all be surprised to see a wholesale reclassification in the next 5 years. In the end I think the BCS schools will be off on thier own.

No one would there be enough people even from the big schools to supports that kind of move. As much as the BCS is flawed, the NCAA basketball tournament is just about perfect the way it is. There can't be March Madness unless the little conferences get an invite and get the chance to knock some people off. For Griz basketball, I have no interest whatsoever in a I-AA basketball championship.

Without the BCS, the March Madness would still be the same. The same teams would still be seeded and have the same W-L records with or without the BCS. I feel that the BCS is not only flawed it is a total and absolute joke.

ronbo said:
That's exactly the point. They are afraid of e re-classification of smaller schools to a 1AA in Basketball. Or it could be called something else. With the extreme popularity of the Big Dance and the big bucks involved with TV and such the "Big Boys" might want to shut the "Little Guys" out of that too.

It would be hard to do. The NCAA Controls the BB tournament, but has little if any control on the bowls and BCS FB organization. The BCS would have to start up a whole new competing BB tournament.

BCS will always keep a some smaller teams around in FB. They love their 8 game home schedules and paying smaller D1-A teams less money to come visit.

If they split to only 64 teams it costs them money in scheduling fewer home games and paying each other to come visit OOC games on a more regular basis. Mid-major is there to stay. BCS will pay just enough to barely keep them around.

Back