• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What's your preference for the Griz/Cat Game?

ronbo

OK all you Griz Fans and also you half dozen Cat fans that frequent this board.

What is your preference for the Griz/Cat game? Would you like to see it with the Big Sky and the playoffs on the line? Or do you prefer one team having the Sky wrapped up and nothing at stake?

I actually think we'll be 7-0 or 6-1 in the Big Sky this year, with the possible loss being at EWU. We could meet in Nov. and the Sky could be on the line. If we were both 10-0 or 9-1 or if one of us were 10-0 and the other 9-1 that would be great. We'd both be assured of the playoffs, the Big Sky would be on the line and it would be the Game of the Century in Montana. And at Washington/Grizzly Stadium.

Could you ask for anything more! I think not!

It won't happen, but I would love to see both teams 10-0 coming into the game. Just to add more fantasy, UM gets the #1 seed after the win, MSU #2, and they meet again in Chatty (with the same results)

I kind of feel caught in a Catch-22 situation here. I love having it as the last game of the year, it didn't have that same feeling when it was in the middle of the year. However, when we make the playoffs, both teams are at a significant disadvantage because we have no off week, on top of it being difficult to come off a game that is such a high and prepare properly for a playoff game. Having it at the end of the season makes it possible for a team not having a great year to "salvage" their season by beating their rival, though, which I like. I guess I would prefer both schools to look at their scheduling and play this game still as the last game of the regular season, but a week earlier, so that both teams have a chance to recover going into the playoffs. I think we both would have won had we been given that situation last year.

I liked the game better when it was played at the end of October or early November. The weather was better. In the years the game fell on Halloween weekend, it was a crazy-assed time. I've heard it said the game was moved to the weekend before Thanksgiving to coincide with other rivalry game, but its really too small to fit in with that stuff. An AD told me once that holding the game on the last week of the season was a way to assure the stadiums were filled no matter if it snowed. But with UM selling out, and MSU's fanbase improving, filling the stands on a cold day shouldn't be an issue.
Move it back and give the fans coming from all over the state the safety of driving on dry roads.

It is really cool/hyped up at the end of the year. But I think for purpose of both teams moving on and doing well in the playoffs (which could happen here the next few years) I would think we could move it up 1 week (2nd last game of year) and still have the hype surrounding it as there would just be 1 other game. Maybe Montana and MSU could both start scheduling non-conference type games as the last game of season so MSU/UM game would still be the last conference game? Not sure if they could do that or not? Since we have the Great West Conference now maybe they could do the same and just have the last game of year as a cross playing of teams in those 2 conferences or something.

Bozone raises a really good point - we should have a "bye week" with no game the week preceeding the 1-AA playoffs. The new UM athletic director needs to get the Griz a week to heal up before the playoffs.

The UM-MSU rivalry game works well any weekend. I wouldn't prefer that it be moved, but it works anytime in October or November. Both teams understand its importance.

Go Griz!

It's got to be on rivalry week. I like it just the way it is. It's exactly what a true college football rivalry should be. The game wouldn't be the same if it weren't played in miserable weather or at the end of the season. You can't have the Griz/Cat game and then finish out the regular season with Weber, Portland State, and NAU. That would just be wrong. I'd like to have it maybe a week before so there's a bye before the playoffs, but then it wouldn't be a part of rivalry week. Last year might have been an exception, but having the first round of the playoffs the week after usually hasn't been a problem.

I agree, keep it on rivalry weekend. As much as the bye week would help, I believe a win over the cats sets the tone for the playoffs. It also set a tone when we lost last year...However, 95, 96, 2000 and 2001 it didn't set us back at all. :eek:

Latest posts

Back