• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Great West v. Big Sky

WYOBISONMAN

DONOR
I just tallied up all the games between the GWC and the BSC and there are a total of 14 games. I am sure that is more that we play with any other single conference. Maybe through this interconfence play we can see who really is the "BEST IN THE WEST"....could be the makings of an interesing trophy....

The Games:

Sept. 4
Southern Utah @ Weber State

Sept. 11
Cal Poly @ Idaho State

Sept. 18
Idaho State @ Northern Colorado
Cal Poly @ Montana State
Cal Davis @ Weber State
Southern Utah @ Sac State

Sept. 25
Northern Colorado @ Montana
Sac State @ Cal Davis

Oct. 23
South Dakota State @ Montana State

Nov. 6th
North Dakota State @ Weber State
Cal Poly @ Eastern Washington

Nov. 20th
Cal Davis @ Portland State
Idaho State @ Southern Utah
Cal Poly @ Sac State

WYOBISONMAN said:
Maybe through this interconfence play we can see who really is the "BEST IN THE WEST"....could be the makings of an interesing trophy....

With no disrespect intended, this has been mentioned before on this board and I don;t understand it. The Big Sky is going to be the best in the west for quite a while, regardless of the win/loss record this season. We have a good history; we have lost teams and replaced them. We have a rich playoff history, we have a hand full of national titles. So I am just asking right now, when inevitably one of the Great West teams beats one of the Big Sky teams, it will not mean that they are the Best in the West.

I think the Great West will eventually turn into a very decent conference. Yeah, it is young right now, but they have some solid programs in there already like NDSU/SDSU/UNC/CAL POLY. I think a lot of the games on that list will be VERY competitive/close games this year.

I don't know how it would be done but would be interesting to have the #1 GWC team play the #1 BSC team each year for a trophy....

This idea of playing for a trophy.....hmm a game between the winners of the conferences for it....I have to nix that. The tradition is that Cat-Griz is the last game of the season before the playoffs and should be kept that way. I dont want to see this turn into some Wild West version of the Bayou Classic.

Only 4 out of 14 games include what will likely be the best teams in the Big Sky. Great West could come out ahead even in the first season. I see 4 likely victories for Big Sky and 3 or 4 for the Great partially West. The rest I feel are too close to call. Go Griz.

I would venture a guess and say that the GWC/BSC inter-conference games will probably increase beyond 14 a season and that future years will provide more competition between the conferences. I think both #1'a playing each other would be pretty interesting, however, it couldn't interfere with the playoffs like the SWAC games do. Too bad we couldn't have a "Bowl Game" after the D1-AA playoffs are over. Maybe the "Western Sky Bowl".

I believe that the GWC will be good for 1-AA football, especially for the BSC and the western US.

I would prefer if there were 1-2 sequential weekends in September or October where all BSC teams could match up against GWC teams, and have a non-conference show-down. I think the idea of a "challenge trophy" is a great one.

Go Griz!

Proud Griz Man: Now that is a good idea.

Last years BSC one plays GW one, 2 on 2 & so on. The second weekend is a rotating game so everybody will play everybody at some point. After two weeks the conferance with the best record wins. (ACC and Big 10 do this in BB) This would help the ADs becouse they would only be left with 2 games to sched. Only problem: if you have Northern Colorado on your sched for the second weekend and they finnish in the same spot as you; resulting in having to play the same team 2 weeks in a row. (I sure something could be figured out.)

Here is my predictions on the games below.

Sept. 4th
Southern Utah @ Weber State (Weber State Wins)

Sept. 11th
Cal Poly @ Idaho State (Idaho State Wins)

Sept. 18th
Idaho State @ Northern Colorado (Northern Colorado Wins)
Cal Poly @ Montana State (Montana State Wins)
Cal Davis @ Weber State (Cal Davis Wins)
Southern Utah @ Sacramento State (Sacramento State Wins)

Sept. 25th
Northern Colorado @ Montana (Montana Wins)
Sacramento State @ Cal Davis (Cal Davis Wins)

Oct. 23rd
South Dakota State @ Montana State (Montana State Wins)

Nov. 6th
North Dakota State @ Weber State (Weber State Wins)
Cal Poly @ Eastern Washington (Eastern Washington Wins)

Nov. 20th
Cal Davis @ Portland State (Cal Davis Wins)
Idaho State @ Southern Utah (Idaho State Wins)
Cal Poly @ Sacramento State (Cal Poly Wins)

Big Sky= 9
GWC = 5

Cal Davis will not go 3-0 vs. the Big Sky

Maybe not if UCD was playing Montana, MSU, and EWU but I expect wins against Slack State and Weber with PSU being a toss up. Northern Colorado is good enough to beat anyone in either conference.

I have a hard time seeing Davis go 3-0 versus Big Sky, even against those teams. I think Weber will be better than last year. Sac and PSU should have better years as well.

jagur1 said:

Last years BSC one plays GW one, 2 on 2 & so on. The second weekend is a rotating game so everybody will play everybody at some point. After two weeks the conferance with the best record wins. (ACC and Big 10 do this in BB) This would help the ADs becouse they would only be left with 2 games to sched. Only problem: if you have Northern Colorado on your sched for the second weekend and they finnish in the same spot as you; resulting in having to play the same team 2 weeks in a row. (I sure something could be figured out.)

We are on the same page Jag. I read some NDSU messages that match our philosophy too.

The main key is to get all AD's to block out two sequential weekends in late-September or in early-October. The games have to be played simultaneously to generate a "tournament" atmosphere. This should generate good publicity, and pump up schedule strengths.

The seeding could be adjusted each year to provide variety (i.e. BSC#1 vs. GWC#2, BSC#2 vs. GWC#1, etc.). The point is to match conferences and generate good rivalries, but not match the same teams each year. AD's must decide on a minimum $$ travel guarantee, and commit.

Go Griz!

Proud Griz Man said:
jagur1 said:

We are on the same page Jag. I read some NDSU messages that match our philosophy too.

The main key is to get all AD's to block out two sequential weekends in late-September or in early-October. The games have to be played simultaneously to generate a "tournament" atmosphere. This should generate good publicity, and pump up schedule strengths.

The seeding could be adjusted each year to provide variety (i.e. BSC#1 vs. GWC#2, BSC#2 vs. GWC#1, etc.). The point is to match conferences and generate good rivalries, but not match the same teams each year. AD's must decide on a minimum $$ travel guarantee, and commit.

Go Griz!

I like this idea a lot, oh and by the way the Jackrabbits are going to beat the Bobcats this season . . . . what else would you expect me to say. :wink: :D

I like the idea too. Proud Griz Man brings up the point of playing a team twice in a row, but I would imagine there would be a way to mix up the rankings a bit so it wouldn't happen. I'm not sure I like blocking out two weeks, as there just aren't as many football games as BB games.
Would there be one trophy for the conference, our would there be a trophy awarded for the winner of each contest? I like the idea of a trophy for the winner of each contest, although there might be weird shipping issues, and possibly slipping issues, that is a bad teams winning because they play bad teams.
And, as much as possible, it would be cool if teams that won the interconference game got home field advantage for next year's contest. Start with 4 home for both BSC and GWC, and see where it ends up.

Latest posts

Back