• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dennison must go!?

putter

DONOR
I would have to say, with all that is going on in Missoula, that ol'George should be the next on the block. You can push everything on the AD but he is the President and is ultimately responsible. If the regents have any nuts at all, they will put the blame where it belongs. I don't know Dennison myself, but all my friends in Missoula who do know him, have nothing good to say about him. One even said that he would "run his own wife over" if it meant something for him!!

Not that anybody asked, but I am in agreement 110% -

I cannot believe he is still there...after a statement by Wayne Hogan (whom I like, have met, and believe in) I think it is very clear that he was sacrificed.

Now it's time to clean house.....you fire a CEO....you fire a President of a University. If they can't get rid of the Pres....then maybe their roles need to be evaluated.

simple way to look at it? The right way to look at it? - Yes.

Go Griz!

Could get replaced by an "ultra liberal" intellectual that believes that Football is a waste of a Universities time and resources and that the money would be better spent on additional arts, music, and theatre classes.

Then the Football program goes down the tubes. Like at all the California schools.

You sure you want to take that chance?

I doubt you could sell many griz T-shirts for the art program. No one on the U-side is going to kill the golden goose.

ronbo said:
Could get replaced by an "ultra liberal" intellectual that believes that Football is a waste of a Universities time and resources and that the money would be better spent on additional arts, music, and theatre classes.

Then the Football program goes down the tubes. Like at all the California schools.

You sure you want to take that chance?

I agree there is a risk with every decision like this...and I know there are more than a few of these types of individuals just waiting to step into a great place like UM and wreak havoc....but would the UM ever select that type of candidate? I hope not.

I am really steamed about Wayne being gone.....when it is pretty clear he was part of the "system" trying to do the best he could...but a system that was somewhat headed towards a failure.

I am more amazed after the past few weeks of reading that the department achieved what it did. (stadium, field house renovations, etc)before all of this came to the surface.

is it football season yet?....this stuff depresses me.
:drinking:

GO GRIZ!

Oh yeah, a guy like that wouldn't try to do it overnight. There would be too much opposition from the fans, alum, etc.

He would do it slowly from the inside. Cut here, cut there. Get a scholarship reduction approved. Let the stadium fall into dis-repair. Raise ticket prices. Refuse to raise coaches salaries. Then soon the football team is barely staying at .500 for two, three, four seasons in a row. Fans bail and our attendance plummets to less than ten thousand. The sales on Griz gear goes to less than 30% what it is now. We lose the TV games, the coaches lose their TV commercials and coaches shows.

Then the students and faculty vote to get rid of a football program that is draining University funds and resources.

Just ask the Alum at San Francisco, Denver, Santa Clara, Pacific, Santa Barbara, Fullerton, Long Beach, and many others how this can happen. And ask them how many of them saw it coming before it was too late.

Of course remember what I'm saying here is just a worst case senario that could happen. Do I think it will? No. Is there a zero chance it could? No, but there is maybe a 10% chance it could happen. And that is a little scary, but I'm not worried yet.

Dennison wouldn't care about football at all, except for the fact that it brings in a huge chunk of profit for the University each fall. Unfortunately, the state seems unwilling to subsidize the education of its athletes through scholarships (which the rest of the BSC does).
I wouldn't worry about an anti-football ultra liberal taking over the program. I see enough ultra liberals who are pro-football on this board, and there would be immense pressure from alumni to get someone who would at least do the football program no harm.

To clarify a couple of points:

1. I believe a few people on both boards (including me) have been pointing the finger at Dennison and Duringer for a long time. Even before the latest problems arose.

2. Dennison is absolutely lying through his teeth. He didn't threaten to fire Hogan. It is obvious he either doesn't understand the truth, or has no regard for it.

3. Football does not make a profit for the university. However, it does go a long way towards paying for itself. That means that King George does not have to contribute university general funds to pay for as much of it. Also, as I have said all along, King George has had the absolute luxury of budgeting in a very good athletic climate at UM during his entire tenure. Athletics has had good revenue through ticket sales, and Hogan and his predecessors (Moos & Lewis) were very good at raising private funds. Therefore, he hasn't had to fund athletics at a level most universities do. Now, when things are tight, he is looking the other way.

Finally, I don't know how many of you had the pleasure of flying out of Missoula during the King's reign, but I have quite a bit. There were many, many times I had to trudge "all the way back to coach" on the plane, past the 1st class passengers. Guess who was in first class every time he flew? King George!!! AND Mrs. King George was with him quite often. I wonder whose tab those 1st class tickets were on.

grizpack: He is the president of the U. I think flying first class isn't that big of a deal. (at some point your position should allow you to move up to first class) Now if he was flying first class with his girlfriend :eek:

MontanaRaised said:
grizpack said:
3. Football does not make a profit for the university.

This web page from the department of education uses numbers from the 2002-2003 year...

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3

Football made a profit of $640,561 that year. It doesn't mention how much more is donated to the athletic association.

Not to mention the increasing Griz gear sales, which are largely driven by the football team's successes, and which do not accrue to the profit totals for the football program.

grizpack wrote:

3. Football does not make a profit for the university.

This web page from the department of education uses numbers from the 2002-2003 year...

http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/InstDetail.asp?CRITERIA=3

Football made a profit of $640,561 that year. It doesn't mention how much more is donated to the athletic association.

If you want to go by that logic, athletics only spent $1,055,542 and I believe that athletics budget is somewhere around $9,000,000. Where is the other $8 million? The point is that not all expenses are taken into account here. Your football team may or may not make money (I'm guessing the former rather than the latter), but there is no way the football team came out over $600,000 in the black. If it did, how do you explain the $1,000,000 deficit? Let's use a little common sense here.

wbtfg,
Can I have what you're smoking? According to the site, the expenses were just over $10,000,000. How do you come up with $1,055,542? I've posted a factual page (at least I hope the department of Education is close) and you argue based on what??

but there is no way the football team came out over $600,000 in the black
We are not talking about MSU-Bozeman. Please, have something to back it up before stating it. The million dollar deficit certainly isn't because of football, as the web page clearly illustrates.

Last night: A stolen base by both starting pitchers in the Cub/Card game.

Today

An apology and an acceptance of said apology on EGrizz. :eek: Is the end of the world near? :-?

It must be a Helena thing...whether a cat or griz, we're still pretty good people.

As some guy named Hannibal could have said:

"I happen to like like ultra-liberal university presidents-----if they are prepared properly."

(Disclaimer to any ultra-liberals who don't understand sarcasm--I am not promoting or otherwise attempting to promote the eating of human flesh--even if that would take care of our problem. I am merely voicing my extreme disatisfaction in a joking manner so as to keep the tears from hitting my keyboard).

Back