• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

big WAC news

Jimus

For all you WAC lovers out there, UTEP is officially defecting to Conference USA. Louisiana Tech is now more than ever a geographic anomoly, so there is speculation they might return to the Sun Belt just to ease up on travel. Here's what schools remain with the WAC for now:

Boise State
Fresno State
Louisiana Tech
Hawaii
Nevada
New Mexico State
San Jose State
Utah State

I think a defection of UTEP to C-USA actually strengthens the WAC. C-USA is turning into the official conference of Texas teams not good enough to be in the Big XII before our very eyes. Like the old SWC, without the big programs that made it good.

Boise State
Fresno State
Hawaii
Nevada
New Mexico State
Utah State
Idaho

This is what it will look like in two years. Louisiana Tech will defect and San Jose State will drop football. Idaho is going to get invited soon.

Bet we get an official and public invite. I know half the guys that oppose a move to 1A would change their minds if we could go to the MWC. But that won't happen straight from the Big Sky. The only hope of ever getting into the MWC is to pay dues in a lesser Conference first. I don't really see the WAC as much of a step down from the MWC. They have actually showed better Bowl results in football the last couple years and the WAC is a better Basketball Conference than the MWC every year.

I think you might be right, Ronbo. If the WAC loses any more schools they won't have many options as far as replacement schools. I think Idaho would be #1 on their wish list by default, and if they need another it will have to come out of I-AA. I doubt they want to repeat the nightmare of spreading their league well into the Midwest again.

It will be interesting to see what the new athletic director's position on this will be. Also (hopefully and possibly) a new president.

With the expection of Hawaii and NMState, the WAC looks like an easier conference for travel than the Big Sky, since we would be a natural counterpart to Idaho.

i've said it before and i'll say it again, the wac is the place we need to shoot for soon. better games, better money, better players. it'd be so much more fun to watch, and i don't know what the gripe about the bowl games is. the 1aa champ game is at like 9 at night on espn 2 when nobody even sees it. myself and everybody i know watches virtually every bowl game and they pay a lot more. i better shut up before i start a debate about this again.

Stiffler, just one question: Would you rather wear a sweatshirt that says "2004 XYZ Bowl winner" or one that states "2004 I-AA National Champions?" As for me, I'll take the latter every time!

I believe there will be, in the not too distant future, two separate 1A National Championships. The Mid Majors are sick of being shut out.

There will be a new classification in 1A and the sweatshirts will read.

"BCS National Champions"

"Mid Major National Champions"

Conferences competing for the Mid Major Championship will be the WAC, MWC, MAC, C-USA, and the SunBelt. Possibly the Big East if it keeps losing teams to the "Super Conferences".

Not that this has anything to do with Montana's reason for moving to I-A if it happens, but recent developments suggest that I-A is moving closer to an inclusive playoff system. If the BCS puts together their proposed "5 plus one" postseason model like ABC Sports (the guys with all the cash) want them to, the transition to a true I-A playoff system will be well on its way.

Ronbo I think you are correct about 2 champions. Perhaps the mid-major will be through a tournament, and BCS through a bowl. That might satisfy everyone, especially if the mid major tournament champion got to play the BCS bowl champion in a final bowl game.

Yes it will be the old SWC for the Texas schools that are horrible. Gosh memories of being in grade school and hearing about SMU getting the death penalty are starting to come back. The mid-majors will never win out. Here at Western Michigan University they lose money to bring in a Virginia Tech or Virginia as we have done the past couple years. As the mid-majors upset the big schools, the big schools will want nothing to do with them, thus hurting the ratings of the MAC, WAC and so forth. At least in 1-AA we do it right. We settle it on the field!

Back