• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Texas A&M tranfer to play for cats

silvertipgriz

Scott Munch of the Great Falls Tribune reports Sophomore Andy Matakis, a 6'2", 260 pound tight end from Texas A&M will transfer to "State" to play defensive end. Matakis is from Corpus Christi HS and had offers from Illinois, UCLA, and Pitt before he signed with A&M.
He caught 4 passes for 40 yards and 2 TD's while at A&M. The article goes on to say his desire to play defense caused him to transfer.
Matakis says he benches 410, squats 610 and runs a 4.6 40 yd dash. Sounds like a good catch for state.

He sounds like a good pick up, but I think they will need more than that to beat the Griz this year. We'll see in November

GRIZFAN20 said:
He sounds like a good pick up, but I think they will need more than that to beat the Griz this year. We'll see in November

And yes, thankfully we do have more than Matakis... a LOT more. He's a great addition though!!! 8)

Yes, a lot more .... this defense could be special this year again if their JC shutdown corner is decent at all. The front 7 could be the best the Bobcats have has in last 25-30 years on paper. But yes, that is why we play the games.

Why not? There are plenty of guys under 260 that put up 400+. Amos Zeroue threw up 500 in college and he's a running back.

Sheridan May (<-sp?), who used to be the RB for the Vandals was a 500lb bench press man in college.

Plus I believe the High School bench press record for MT is somewhere around 410lbs.

While it takes a freak to be able to lift that much, it can definately be done.

GavinDonuts said:
Griz Envy: a condition aflicted when another team's fans become tired of having to listen to Griz fan's excessive and frequent pomposities. .

No Gavin, that is not the definition of Griz Envy.

This would be a better description of Griz Envy:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/moss_archive/3rdandlong_102302.htm

It must be saddening for you MSU fans to have a national reporter, in his first visit to the Litter Box, notice the Griz Envy everywhere and make it a major focus of his article.

You raised the topic ...

Proud Griz Man said:
GavinDonuts said:
Griz Envy: a condition aflicted when another team's fans become tired of having to listen to Griz fan's excessive and frequent pomposities. .

No Gavin, that is not the definition of Griz Envy.

This would be a better description of Griz Envy:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/moss_archive/3rdandlong_102302.htm

It must be saddening for you MSU fans to have a national reporter, in his first visit to the Litter Box, notice the Griz Envy everywhere and make it a major focus of his article.

You raised the topic ...

Oh... My... God... :-? Come on Proud - this is getting sad. That article was written in over 2 years ago. My, how times have changed. You need to quit living in the past. The streak is over... get over it and move on 8)

Proud Cave Man:

The article you link to illustrates that MSU fans are obsessed with beating UM... what is your point? I guess you could conclude that waaay back during the mid season of '02 Bobcat tailgaters had Griz revenge on the brain. It doesn't change my definition of Griz Envy in the slightest sense.

The fact the UM has a nice stadium with JohnnieTurf, and two recent NC's isn't the reason that I dislike the Griz. I don't really even dislike the UM athletic programs per se. It's the smug, asshole fans that lead me to root against UM. I'm sure that is the same reason most of you don't like MSU.

Like I always say, if we were to get together face to face, one to one, our UM/MSU loyalties would mean little on a social level. I know that there is more to life than what team you root for. But en masse, as an anonymous mob, I wish all griz fans nothing but disappointment. I have no doubt that you all feel the same about "bobcat nation".

Now, did anyone else want to critique my signature, or is it back to the actual topic?

GD

Your the hick school you have a long way to go before you reach smug. Would you like BozoGriz to post a picture showing how everyone thinks of your little program in Bozo? :-? Hey maybe you can win 9 games this year and move up to one year wonder!!!! :lol:

Its nice to know that even that 'national' reporter thinks MSU's stadium is top 10 in 1-AA. And yet to think that it isn't even finished yet.

So I think we can let the stadium issue go out the door. Both teams have very nice stadiums.

And yes, I agree .. MSU's south stands need to go. They will be here soon I'm hearing.

Its nice to know that even that 'national' reporter thinks MSU's stadium is top 10 in 1-AA. And yet to think that it isn't even finished yet.

So I think we can let the stadium issue go out the door. Both teams have very nice stadiums.

And yes, I agree .. MSU's south stands need to go. They will be here soon I'm hearing.

jagur1 said:
GD

Your the hick school you have a long way to go before you reach smug. Would you like BozoGriz to post a picture showing how everyone thinks of your little program in Bozo? :-? Hey maybe you can win 9 games this year and move up to one year wonder!!!! :lol:

hmm... Well said you smug asshole! :wink:

*message to sensitive readers* My above remark was intended stricltly as sarcasm, not as a put-down. I'm not really implying that jag is a smug asshole... actually, maybe I am. But I'm sure jag doesn't care that I feel that way about him; just like he doesn't care about coherent original thought, or proper hygene. It wouldn't stop me from buying him a cold one if we were ever to meet.

Well the Texas A + M transfer should feel at home at MSU. Wasn't MSU originally Montana A + M. Geez why did they change it to MSU? Are they like someone in the closet and not want to admit to what they really are? Its okay to be the Ag school.

Probably because we are also the engineering school, the medical/sciences school, the architecture school, the nursing school, the computer science and graphic design school, the research school, ......

I was noticing the pic on you and I have to say that I like how MSU has ripped off the helmet of Marshall. Very classy! That goes up there with MSU taking Michigan States uniform designs for basketball a few years ago as well. You may have some good school there in Bozeman but is guess nobody can pass Sports Marketing.

What the hell are you talking about? "Ripped off the helmet of Marshall." Are you kidding me?!? Gee, a gold helmet with our "M" logo and a stripe down the middle... who'd ever have thunk that one up had it not been for Marshall. I guess we ripped off the gold color from Notre Dame, and referred to the numerous other schools that have an "M" on their helmets, such as Missouri and Miami (Ohio). I like our helmets, but they are pretty basic in their design. If you want to see "copied" helmets, look at Delaware. When UM decided to change to "spirit colors" (code for: our real colors suck), they copied Wazzou's colors. I think it has worked out pretty well for them, and I could care less. With hundreds of schools across the country, it is inevitable that some designs are going to be similar.

Also, what is this about copying Michigan State's basketball unis? I don't recall that our uniforms have ever even slightly resembled the Spartans', certainly not in the last fifteen or so years. I think our uniforms are pretty unique, and undoubtedly the best in the Big Sky. If the design has copied anyone, it might resemble those of Cincinnati.

Ripped off Marshall's helmet? Yes, they both have an M .... that took a lot of thought to rip that off :) I'm glad Marshall helped us out on that one. What a moron. I like our Uniforms just the way they are. I sure see a lot of Bobcat Envy starting over here lately. I'm glad Tony Moss's article (national columnist) said MSU's stadium was top 10 in the nation in 1-AA. So now you can't talk about the stadium so its goint to uniforms now. Do you like MSU's socks they wear? What else don't you like? :eek:

If we are talking about uniforms/colors/styles ... GRiz colors sure remind me of Wash State colors for some reason? I don't know why you guys switched. The rustic old color was VERY UNIQUE and no other team in the country used it? If you ever saw that color you knew exactly that is was a Griz fan. Maybe I'm in the minority on this. What do you Griz fans think? How many still prefer the old color ?(and what was the correct name for that color? very unique).

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cat envy :lol: :lol: wow.. that's the funniest notion I've heard in a long time.

Also.. dingbats... if you had any knowledge at all you would know that silver/maroon were UofM's original "spirit" colors... before the Texas gold and orange combo.

Back