• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Joey Thomas first 1AA player taken.

ronbo

Thomas is a Green Bay Packer taken in the 3rd round, the #70 player taken in the draft. Should be a nice pay day for Joey. I'll be watching for him in the coming years.

Besides being a Griz fan I'm also a big Packer fan. What do I do now!

It's like watching your high school sweetheart (Packers) going to your senior prom with the biggest jerk in school (Bobcats)!

I guess "For the Love of the Game" I'll have to swallow my pride and what ever else comes up, and say "Go Joey, Go"!!!!

Prepare for the interceptions, blocked field goals, and sticky coverage. The Pack got a steal with Joey at #70. So did the Bills with McFarland.

Proud Griz Man said:
VictorG said:

"Go Joey, Go"!!!!

Prepare for the pass interference calls. Sorry Victor. :cry:

It's only PI when the zebra calls it. As much as we hate the pussies, you have to admit that Thomas was a very gifted CB.

HOWEVER~ With the new rule in the NFL, that will not allow ANY contact at all past the 5 yard cushion, JT will have to learn a new style of down field coverage. It might be hard for him at that level....should be interesting to see how he does.

Joey will be a very fine cover corner once he gets more coaching and experience. The main thing he needs to do is look back for the ball, then he can use his hands as much as he wants to fight for the ball. Joey was RARELY ever beaten deep by his guy and he seemed to always be within 1-2 feet of whoever he was guarding. So the raw ability is there, it just needs to be fine tuned and I think he could be a real steal for Packers in the long run. Its definately gonna be interesting watching him grow and see how he does.

VictorG said:

It's like watching your high school sweetheart (Packers) going to your senior prom with the biggest jerk in school (Bobcats)!

I guess "For the Love of the Game" I'll have to swallow my pride and what ever else comes up, and say "Go Joey, Go"!!!!

:eek: I am in the same boat VictorG... Die hard Packer fan and Die hard Griz fan... See, there is forgiveness for being a bobkitty... and life after death :wink: :angel: Just a mention, the pro scouting reports on Joey was that his "technique" was sloppy.... hmmmmm at least he will be great within the first five yards.... :roll:

I find it interesting that on our board the headline says 1st 1AA player taken with numerous posts and comments and on the cat board it says Joey taken in third round with three posts. Looks like we are happier for a fellow 1AA player than they are. If a Griz player was the 1st 1AA player taken we'd be on the third page of responses by now. Wildlkitten maybe you should spend some time on the cat board and help get things going or at least equal time.

The problem is bronco.
5 Griz fans for every cat fan. You can't find a kid under the age of 16 that is a cat fan. (I'm talking teenagers, not wildrats 5 year old who gets a cat hat jamed on his head and is told to be a cat fan) When was the last time you read in the paper about a kid dreaming to play for the cats. (Hell, most kids in california haven't heard of MSU until Kramer calls) Every year a kid becomes a Grizz in spite of the fact his dad, granddad, uncles played for the cats. I'm afraid in 20 years there will be no cat fans sans the ones that attended MSU. Just like no one is a San Jose state fan unless they went to school at SJSU.

Thomas' problem won't be coverage, it will be supporting the run. It will be interesting to see if he improves in that area, I have no doubts he will do just fine in pass defense.

jagur1 said:
The problem is bronco.
5 Griz fans for every cat fan. You can't find a kid under the age of 16 that is a cat fan. (I'm talking teenagers, not wildrats 5 year old who gets a cat hat jamed on his head and is told to be a cat fan) When was the last time you read in the paper about a kid dreaming to play for the cats. (Hell, most kids in california haven't heard of MSU until Kramer calls) Every year a kid becomes a Grizz in spite of the fact his dad, granddad, uncles played for the cats. I'm afraid in 20 years there will be no cat fans sans the ones that attended MSU. Just like no one is a San Jose state fan unless they went to school at SJSU.

Sorry to rain on your parade fellas, but your comments are waayyy off the mark. Times they be a-changin… No question there are many more Griz fans in the state(mainly bandwagoners but nonetheless) than Bobcat fans. This holds true across the board whether we’re talking men, women, or children. But, now that we’re starting to win a few games, Bobcat interest is gaining momentum. The Griz aren’t the only show in town anymore. The Blue\Gold game in Great Falls this year was a beautiful site. 400+ kids, ranging in age from 7 to 14 having a blast at the Bobcat mini football camp. Along with this comes plenty of bandwagoners, just like you experienced when you went from sucking to winning. That’s OK though, because some of these new fans will grow up to be great Bobcat Football players! Oh, and for the uninformed, we do have quite a few MT kids that happen to be pretty decent football players. I’ve attached a list for your reading pleasure. I’m sure most of these guys were originally Grizzly fans but got talked into being Bobcats by their fathers or Kramer! Just watch the numbers – The # of MT kids on our roster will continue to grow from here on.

Barnhardt, Elliot TE MT/Broadus
Beniger, Brian OL MT/Helena
Birkeland, Brant OG MT/Helena
Boiteau, Claude LB MT/Big Fork
Bolton, Tyler PK MT/Great Falls
Clark, Beau DT MT/Belgrade
Curley, Carson S MT/Stevensville
Curley, Clayton LB MT/Stevensville
Daws, Dusty TE MT/Bozeman
DeCock, Adam OL MT/Harlowton
Elliott, Grant FB MT/Fort Benton
Farley, Doc LB MT/Stevensville
Gilchrist, Nick DE MT/CM Russell
Gluhm, Chad DE MT/Park City
Goodman, Jason TE MT/CM Russell
Judisch, Ross LB MT/Conrad
Marudas, Nick LB MT/Bozeman
McCullough, Matt WR MT/Great Falls
McGuinness, Michael CB MT/Skyview
McInerney, Dan RB MT/Skyview
Mollohan, Mac LB MT/Flathead
Nellermoe, Travis DL MT/Wibaux
O'Connor, Troy DE MT/Plevna-Baker
Ophus, Mason OT MT/Big Sandy
Roschinger, Toren WR MT/Beaverhead
Rundle, Toby WR MT/Billings
Samuelson, Cody TE MT/Powder River
Schantz, Shane WR MT/Custer County
Smith, Chris OL MT/Laurel
Wegner, Jesse WR MT/Skyview

Here is the list paired down to players that have even slightly contributed to the Cats:

Birkland
Clark
Daws
Gluhm
Goodman
Marudas
Mollohan

And some of the names on that list are just guys that are non scholly walk ons that will never play a down and everybody knows it. Keep it real PoorGriz.

Most people acknowledge JT was a great 1AA CB. At least the way the refs enforced the rules he would look great. But he would not have been a superstar in 1A. He was a high draft pick but your Seattle boy benefitted from the CB being a premium this year and at the same time many pro analyst felt the choice of CB's this year was poor. Typically there are not 7-8 CB's taken in the first round and there were this year. That and the combination that there is usually a better group of CB's, put Thomas about 4 rounds higher than a normal year. Thomas has a lot to learn (not hold) and he may be lucky to make the team if he can't learn to play fair real quick.

NativeGriz said:
At least the way the refs enforced the rules he would look great.

Okay, so the refs made him look good by flagging him for all those PIs and holds... Your logic really doesn't adhere in this case. Most people felt that Joey's way of covering people was better suited for the NFL than for NCAA in the first place.

NativeGriz said:
...many pro analyst felt the choice of CB's this year was poor. Typically there are not 7-8 CB's taken in the first round and there were this year.

So what you're saying is that an unusually high number of CBs were taken in the first round this year because there weren't any good CBs availiable in this year's draft class? I'm sorry but your logic really isn't adhering in this instance either.

I've heard two sides to this story. One is that there aren't as many big name CBs as there have been in the past, but still a great wealth of talent. The other is that it is actually going to be next year's class that has no CB talent, thus the big buy up this year.

NativeGriz said:
That and the combination that there is usually a better group of CB's, put Thomas about 4 rounds higher than a normal year. Thomas has a lot to learn (not hold) and he may be lucky to make the team if he can't learn to play fair real quick.

I'm sure you fancy yourself as a real expert, NG, like most of your kind. Only problem is that when I look at Joey's scouting reports, those experts say different things than you do. Instead of calling it holding, they mention how Joey effectively stops the reciever at the line of scrimmage (355lb bench will do that for a brotha). I'd think that they would definatley mention a chronic holding problem somewhere, or any other type of "unfair" advantage that he employs against his opponent. They talk about a NBA quality vertical jump (38+ in.), with good height on top of that (6'1"). They mention soft hands, good closing speed (4.4), and a nasty on field presence that compliments his positive off the field demeanor. The only problems they note are: his tendancy to use poor footwork on deep patterns, and his injury as a junior.

I guess the difference in evaluation comes from:

a) The fact that you don't really know what you're talking about

and

b) You root for "the other team"

loyalgriz said:
Here is the list paired down to players that have even slightly contributed to the Cats:

Birkland
Clark
Daws
Gluhm
Goodman
Marudas
Mollohan

And some of the names on that list are just guys that are non scholly walk ons that will never play a down and everybody knows it. Keep it real PoorGriz.

As usual, it seems to be the Griz fan having a hard time keeping it real. All but one of the guys who didn't make your "contributors" list was a sophomore, freshman, or redshirt. Personally I'm glad that we don't rely on a heavy number of freshmen and sophomores to "contribute". I'm sure most of you people feel the same way about the Grisslies relying on younger players.

donuts you write like you have an inferiority complex. Lighten up. Almost every one feels your Seattle boy is great and should make the NFL. I wish he had played for the Griz. But it is still a long ways before he makes an NFL team. I have the benefit of listening to espn on xm radio. I admit I am a poor at breaking down talent, so I rely on listening and passing on what professionals say. What I heard came from more than 1 source. The choice for CB was poor this year, but very much in need. I do hope JT makes it, because is playing for one of my favorite teams. Correction on my earlier post. 7-8 taken in 1st and 2nd rounds. Go Griz.

nativegriz: yah, those big sky refs bent the rules for thomas, i noticed they did the same thing for mcfarland. he held all the time but the refs wanted to be sure his draft status wouldn't be hurt. mcfarland was a good 1-aa player and wouldn't have made it in 1-a, he has a lot to learn and it will be a struggle for him to make the team. it was a down year as to the quality of o-lineman that's why mcfarland went in the seventh round...............dohhh! :eek: good luck to thomas and mcfarland, i hope you make it.

Back