• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ochs is coming?

Shakermaker

This still isn't a done deal, but the Missoulian printed this (I'd say if his buddy is as good a friend as he claims, then it is a done deal)._____________________________________________________

Colorado QB Ochs set to join Montana

By JON KASPER of the Missoulian

Former Colorado quarterback Craig Ochs is bound for Montana.

Mike Corson, a former prep teammate of Ochs who attends the University of Montana, said Ochs told him on Monday night that he plans to be a Grizzly.

"He's coming here,'' said Corson, a former Griz football player who had his career cut short by a shoulder injury. "He went on a trip to Washington and saw the facility. He liked what Montana has. He liked the quality of life more at this university. He likes the coaching staff. He likes the chances of winning a national championship.''

Ochs did not return a message left by the Missoulian on Tuesday night. Ochs, believed to be in California visiting his brother, has not spoken to the media since withdrawing from classes and relinquishing his athletic scholarship on Sept. 23. He arrived unannounced in Montana football coach Joe Glenn's office two days later expressing an interest in transferring. At the time Glenn was able to confirm he met with Ochs and that the 6-foot-2, 210-pounder was interested in transferring to Montana.

Ochs received permission from CU to talk with Montana, but was not granted a "blanket release" from his scholarship to talk with every school. Last week, CU gave the University of Washington permission to talk with Ochs. Washington football coach Rick Neuheisel recruited Ochs when he was football coach at Colorado.

NCAA rules prohibit Glenn from talking to the media about transfers until they enroll in classes, meaning it could be awhile before the Montana coach comments on the situation.

"I don't know when he'll talk to the media,'' Corson said. "I think he's just trying to lay low and make some decisions on his own.''

"I think he's planning on coming here in the winter,'' Corson added. "That was his plan. He'll do the summer workouts and everything. He's excited about coming here. It just seems like a lot better fit for him than Boulder (Colo.).''

Corson and Ochs have known each other since the eighth grade. They were teammates together at Boulder's Fairview High School. Ochs was named an All-American by Parade, and Rivals.com had him ranked the fourth best high school quarterback. Corson was recruited as a safety.

"His ability on and off the field is unreal,'' Corson said. "He's the best leader of a football team I've ever seen. He's got great work ethic. When you need him to be a leader, he's a leader. He's got the ability. This town is going to go crazy, they are going to go nuts for him. The plays he makes are just mind-boggling."

Ochs, a history major, threw for 1,178 yards as a true freshman in 2000. Ochs saw action in eight games as a sophomore, but suffered a tendon injury in his ankle forcing him to miss three games late in the season. He threw for 1,220 yards and seven touchdowns as a sophomore.

Ochs sustained his third concussion in a year in Colorado's second game this season against San Diego State. He sat out the Buffs' next two games, but was expected to play again this season.

Ochs applied for a medical wavier redshirt for the 2002 season. If the NCAA grants the waiver, Ochs will have two years of eligibility remaining.

"When he was up here, he said his head was bothering him a little bit,'' Corson said. "But it was just real mild headaches. It was only two weeks after the latest concussion. He said he thinks all this time off will really help."

ESPN reported this article, http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1010/1443828.html

this morning...I guess he is on his way?

From what I understand it makes sense to choose Montana....good luck to him if that is the case.

GO GRIZ!!

Back