• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Mornhinweg is terrific announcer

SACCAT66 said:
mthoopsfan said:
What's really funny is that the two of you, who know little about the game of football, are criticizing one of the best qb's in UM history and a long-time NFL coach, including a head coach.

Being a great player/coach doesn't make you a great announcer on TV or Radio.. I didn't watch the game, so have no clue how he did... I am pretty sure Andrew Schmidt had a tweet that said he thought he was drunk... Here is his quote on Twitter "He is so bad and possibly intoxicated. That said that might be what this broadcast needs."

He's one of the best Griz qb's ever, best I ever saw, but he should stick to Colter's show. Who the hell is Andrew Schmidt? Did he even play the game?? :D

I think both of them are great. Marty is smart and funny. Jay Kohn is a broadcasting professional and has been excellent for a long long time. I remember years ago I felt Dick Vitale was annoying and talked too much but he grew on me because mostly he had a true love of college basketball. The enthusiasm was was genuine and I think these two are similar. They will iron out the little issues but overall I throughly enjoy their broadcast.

Bear Spray said:
SACCAT66 said:
Being a great player/coach doesn't make you a great announcer on TV or Radio.. I didn't watch the game, so have no clue how he did... I am pretty sure Andrew Schmidt had a tweet that said he thought he was drunk... Here is his quote on Twitter "He is so bad and possibly intoxicated. That said that might be what this broadcast needs."

He's one of the best Griz qb's ever, best I ever saw, but he should stick to Colter's show. Who the hell is Andrew Schmidt? Did he even play the game?? :D
Don't know where you lived but your parents should have sprung for cable. Dave Dickenson is not only the best QB in Big Sky History, he's the best player in the conference history and nobody is in second.

Bear Spray said:
SACCAT66 said:

Bozeman's own Andrew Schmidt was a very good Griz RB that shared PT with Chase Reynolds. He ran the ball down the throat of a great CPSLO team in SLO to the tune of 145 yards on 26 carries and a TD for a key win on the way to the natty in 2008. Try to catch up.

kemajic said:
Bear Spray said:
Bozeman's own Andrew Schmidt was a very good Griz RB that shared PT with Chase Reynolds. He ran the ball down the throat of a great CPSLO team in SLO to the tune of 145 yards on 26 carries and a TD for a key win on the way to the natty in 2008. Try to catch up.

He is also a very good story teller on all things "Hating the Cats". Great inside stories about Hauck and his hatred of MSU.

kemajic said:
Bear Spray said:

Kem. When you put a laughing emoji at the end of a sentence it means you're joking......notice no emoji at the end of this sentence. Try to keep up! :lol:

I like Marty. He has a ton of info. He has been everywhere, knows damn near everyone in the football world. One of those guys that if ya listen for a minute you could learn something.

markson161 said:
Put Mick Delaney in the booth too, that’d be a hoot.

I can’t imagine the number of “foot in the ground”references. The limit does not exist.

I agree that Marty has a different voice but my gosh that man has a wealth of knowledge and he just wants to share it. The only problem I see is that he wants to share it all in three hours! But he’s the best we’ve had for a long time, and I enjoy it.

This may be a little off topic.

Is Marty's partner named Liz?

We stopped and talked with the two of them (actually three because they had a sweet dog) in old town Pocatello Friday afternoon. He said he was coming out of retirement to do a few games. He introduced himself as Marty. He said he worked doing color. I thought he meant he was doing work to bring actual good color to the telecast. I didn't recognize him as the former superstar Griz QB. I didn't think he was the color guy and announcer for the game. They were fun to talk with and both loved the Griz. Could this man have been Marty M?

If any of you can help clarify this, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

GrizSpartan said:
This may be a little off topic.

Is Marty's partner named Liz?

We stopped and talked with the two of them (actually three because they had a sweet dog) in old town Pocatello Friday afternoon. He said he was coming out of retirement to do a few games. He introduced himself as Marty. He said he worked doing color. I thought he meant he was doing work to bring actual good color to the telecast. I didn't recognize him as the former superstar Griz QB. I didn't think he was the color guy and announcer for the game. They were fun to talk with and both loved the Griz. Could this man have been Marty M?

If any of you can help clarify this, it would be appreciated. Thanks!

HIs wife is Lindsay. She is awesome, and very nice, personable, and beautiful. They met when he coached at NAU, back in the day. I think she was in school there.

kemajic said:
Bear Spray said:

And by “share” you mean he got 1 carry for every 3 of Chase’s. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

And by “share” you mean he got 1 carry for every 3 of Chase’s. :lol:
Exactly what I meant. Explain the humor. Senior Schmidt was the RB #1 at the start of the season. Soph Reynolds was in the process of converting from WR to RB. After running all over a very good CPSLO team in game 1, Schmidt was hurt in game 2 and missed 2 1/2 games, which opened the door for Chase. Through 7 games of the 2008 season Reynolds had 274 career rushing yards, Schmidt 376. Chase had his first 100 yard game in game 8 and had all 100 yard games thereafter but for the NC game when our OL was overpowered by Richmond. Schmidt was a very good RB, just not CR good. He doesn't deserve anyone's shade.

Marty reminds me of Barry Melrose in sound and delivery. When ESPN gives Melrose a segment, he tries to tell you everything he knows in 60 seconds. Or, one of those Olympic color commentators who has waited four long years to talk about synchronized diving to a national audience.

Shared with Coach Marty with 11 pages worth of fun facts about the Griz and the players. So look for those moving forward.

TV broadcasts are totally different than talk radio. Marty is locked in on my ESPN show. He's solid gold and it's ridiculously fun for myself and my team to hear first-hand stories about Brett Favre, Steve Young, Donovan McNabb, Lamar Jackson, Andy Reid. Pretty cool and I'm proud to call Marty a friend and colleague.

His latest on ESPN MT

Monday Afternoon Quarterback With Marty Mornhinweg
https://open.spotify.com/episode/36MFTKInWujDEIWnmQdAgW?si=bcff977ae5074dfd

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Shared with Coach Marty with 11 pages worth of fun facts about the Griz and the players. So look for those moving forward.

TV broadcasts are totally different than talk radio. Marty is locked in on my ESPN show. He's solid gold and it's ridiculously fun for myself and my team to hear first-hand stories about Brett Favre, Steve Young, Donovan McNabb, Lamar Jackson, Andy Reid. Pretty cool and I'm proud to call Marty a friend and colleague.

His latest on ESPN MT

So you're saying he sucks on television?

:cool:

EverettGriz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

His latest on ESPN MT

So you're saying he sucks on television?

:cool:
What really sucks is having to agree with EG :shock:

Back