• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NILand Portal - Lane Kiffin's Views

CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Bet many of them are closet nfl fans though.

Probably, but they really think the NFL gives a [#]f### about them not watching. It’s wild how important some people think they are. It’s like when people tried to start a movement to boycott The Masters back in the day. Augusta pretty much said, “Aw, how cute.”

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/24/17895704/nike-colin-kaepernick-boycott-6-billion
“ In response to Nike’s decision to center its campaign — which also features stars like Serena Williams and LeBron James — on Kaepernick, some people have decided to boycott the company. In some cases, those people have performatively destroyed their Nike gear on social media. But the $6 billion increase in overall value that Nike has experienced since Labor Day clearly overshadows their efforts (though to be clear, the US Open — which concluded about a week after the ad was released — and the official start of the NFL season have been known to drive Nike sales too).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/sep/08/colin-kaepernick-nike-ad-sales-up
“ According to Edison Trends, a digital commerce research company: “Nike sales grew 31% from Sunday through Tuesday over Labor Day this year, besting 2017’s comparative 17% increase.”

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Probably, but they really think the NFL gives a [#]f### about them not watching. It’s wild how important some people think they are. It’s like when people tried to start a movement to boycott The Masters back in the day. Augusta pretty much said, “Aw, how cute.”

“ In response to Nike’s decision to center its campaign — which also features stars like Serena Williams and LeBron James — on Kaepernick, some people have decided to boycott the company. In some cases, those people have performatively destroyed their Nike gear on social media. But the $6 billion increase in overall value that Nike has experienced since Labor Day clearly overshadows their efforts (though to be clear, the US Open — which concluded about a week after the ad was released — and the official start of the NFL season have been known to drive Nike sales too).

“ According to Edison Trends, a digital commerce research company: “Nike sales grew 31% from Sunday through Tuesday over Labor Day this year, besting 2017’s comparative 17% increase.”

Sure, but I’ve earned the right to see sports played the way I want them played, where I want them played, and by whom I want them played. As a beneficiary of the Greatest Generation economy, my boycott of Nike and the NFL is going to cripple the company and the league. I’ll show ‘em.

CDAGRIZ said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Sure, but I’ve earned the right to see sports played the way I want them played, where I want them played, and by whom I want them played. As a beneficiary of the Greatest Generation economy, my boycott of Nike and the NFL is going to cripple the company and the league. I’ll show ‘em.
Many people boycotting Nike, ESPN, the NFL, the NBA are not as stupid as you imply. They are more likely aware that their action has zero impact, unlike your hyperbolic suggestions. Maybe they've just had enough and just don't need it anymore. It is their option.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Many people boycotting Nike, ESPN, the NFL, the NBA are not as stupid as you imply. They are more likely aware that their action has zero impact, unlike your hyperbolic suggestions. Maybe they've just had enough and just don't need it anymore. It is their option.

I was country when country wasn’t cool. I’ve disliked the NBA and NFL for decades. Really stopped when my team (Rams) left LA for St. Louis. Not a fan of 3 yards and a cloud of dust….I’ve enjoyed a few Chiefs games since Mahomes showed up, but mostly because of the Tech connection.

NBA? That’s like watching paint dry, IMHO. You can see better (or very similar) basketball at the beach court at Venice Beach every single day.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

I was country when country wasn’t cool. I’ve disliked the NBA and NFL for decades. Really stopped when my team (Rams) left LA for St. Louis. Not a fan of 3 yards and a cloud of dust….I’ve enjoyed a few Chiefs games since Mahomes showed up, but mostly because of the Tech connection.

NBA? That’s like watching paint dry, IMHO. You can see better (or very similar) basketball at the beach court at Venice Beach every single day.

Alls that means is you quit liking it BEFORE the Kaepernik issue. You had your own specific reasons, not politically driven reasons.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

What this dude said.

I was a 49er fan when Y.A. Tittle was the QB. The Packers with Jerry Kramer. I liked the Knicks with Reed, Bradley, DeBusschere, Frazier, Monroe, Jackson. Both leagues gradually drifted away from my attention. I find all the sports I need elsewhere from ESPN.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Kem, I think you know me well enough to know when I’m joking (almost always).

Hell yes, people should not watch, or buy sneakers, if they don’t like it. A few dudes I know acting like it’s a brave stance are laughable, but I have no problem with people doing what they want on that front. You’re definitely smarter than those people. (Not joking)

I love the NBA playoffs. Also, NFL playoffs and certain games. College football in person, and big games on tv. College football, especially top of FBS, had some awesome games last season. Georgia has been our family team for 20 years. My son went to 1 or 2 Georgia games last season, plus the Orange Bowl (semis). We get to Athens from time to time. Athens is a great town. We have friends with a bunch of Georgia tickets including Happy Dicks.

mthoopsfan said:
I love the NBA playoffs. Also, NFL playoffs and certain games. College football in person, and big games on tv. College football, especially top of FBS, had some awesome games last season. Georgia has been our family team for 20 years. My son went to 1 or 2 Georgia games last season, plus the Orange Bowl (semis). We get to Athens from time to time. Athens is a great town. We have friends with a bunch of Georgia tickets including Happy Dicks.

The NFL is about to hit another upswing in popularity in my opinion. Due in large part to the insane amount of talented QB's right now. So many of them are so young too. Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray etc.. are just fun to watch. Then throw in Brady, Stafford, Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Prescott and even Derek Carr and you have probably more talented QB's at once in the NFL then at any other time.

AllWeatherFan said:
I miss the days when you could just be a hypocrite about stuff.

Listen, punk, I’m all for the operation of the free market when it has benefitted me, but I just don’t think it’s fair that the rich programs get the best players. It’s gonna be an all-out bidding war. Not like when Cam Newton turned down six figure sums from several schools to attend Auburn for free. Now get off my lawn.

UncleRico said:
mthoopsfan said:

The NFL is about to hit another upswing in popularity in my opinion. Due in large part to the insane amount of talented QB's right now. So many of them are so young too. Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert, Lamar Jackson, Kyler Murray etc.. are just fun to watch. Then throw in Brady, Stafford, Rodgers, Russell Wilson, Prescott and even Derek Carr and you have probably more talented QB's at once in the NFL then at any other time.

True. And plus, with fantasy football becoming more popular every year even formerly casual fans now pay far closer attention.

EverettGriz said:
UncleRico said:

True. And plus, with fantasy football becoming more popular every year even formerly casual fans now pay far closer attention.

Not to mention the widening legalization of online sports gambling. I don’t bet on sports, but my neighbor has close to five figures riding every Sunday. I guess that’s one way to make it interesting.

Edit: BTW, I gave him a tip on the FCS NC game that Bizon -7.5 was a steal. I doubt he was going to bet or watch it before. He cashed big and took my entire family to dinner at a very nice steakhouse. Really good dude.

mthoopsfan said:

I only watch the NBA Playoffs. As so many of my colleagues I worked with in Georgia have passed, I get too melancholy to go to very many games in Athens (or Statesboro) anymore. Three of my kids live in Georgia. Will probably have to start watching grandkids in the Midwest and the south this fall. The North Campus is probably the best area for a college kid I've ever been on! It surprises me that MLB is not being televised as in the past. The NFL, on the other hand, is in danger of too much exposure especially with all the old washed up jocks from 40 or 50 years ago babbling about all their glory days. I suspect many will tire of listening to Howie talk about any and all of the players he had visit him in his cherry orchard on Finley Point in Montana.

CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:

Not to mention the widening legalization of online sports gambling. I don’t bet on sports, but my neighbor has close to five figures riding every Sunday. I guess that’s one way to make it interesting.

Edit: BTW, I gave him a tip on the FCS NC game that Bizon -7.5 was a steal. I doubt he was going to bet or watch it before. He cashed big and took my entire family to dinner at a very nice steakhouse. Really good dude.

Absolutely.

And was that line really -7.5?? Like you, I don't wager on sports, but had I known that, I would have gotten a second mortgage to take to the window.

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Absolutely.

And was that line really -7.5?? Like you, I don't wager on sports, but had I known that, I would have gotten a second mortgage to take to the window.

Yep. I think it opened there and stayed. I told him to get it early because it was going to move a ton, and it didn’t. I’m thinking it’s because only seventeen people had money on it and Vegas was like, “Ah, fuck it. Who cares?”

UncleRico said:
mthoopsfan said:

Don’t forget Josh Allen. That chiefs vs bills game in the playoffs was as good as it gets!

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
UncleRico said:

Don’t forget Josh Allen. That chiefs vs bills game in the playoffs was as good as it gets!
Oh man how could I forget him!

UncleRico said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Oh man how could I forget him!

It’s truly awesome to see how good some of these young QBs can be when they’re surrounded by pro talent. Crazy how many starting QBs are young. The NFL is in a really good era right now, in my opinion.

The AFC is craaaaaaazy good. Hell, the AFC West alone is ridiculous. When Carr to Devante Adams is damn near an afterthought in the division, you know you got something

Back