• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2016 Recruiting Class

SaskGriz

DONOR
2016 Recruiting Class 14/32 SCORE: 2.550

5 Points: Sammy Akem WR, Broken Arrow, OK James Banks LB, UAB, Eugene, OR Conlan Beaver OT, Fredricksburg, VA Jace Lewis LB, Townsend Brandon Purdy K/P, Glacier HS Justin Strong S, Oregon St. Rialto, CA Samori Toure WR, Portland, OR

4 Points: Brandt Davidson DT, Scottsdale CC, Tucson, AZ Gresch Jensen QB, Auburn, WA Dareon Nash WR, Covina, CA Eric Williams K/P, Carleton College, Missoula

3 Points: Korey Alexander DB, Los Medanos JC, Pittsburgh, CA Gavin Crow S, Kennewick, WA James Homan WR, Blinn College, Brenham, TX Miles McKee-Osibodu DT, Santa Ana College, Santa Ana, CA Reese Phillips QB, Kentucky, Chattangooga, TN Randy Rodriguez DT, Peoria, AZ

2 Points: Lewis Cowans CB, Mission Viejo, CA Josh Egbo DB, Gilbert, AZ Dylan Eichmeyer OL, Tucson, AZ Lane Hovey WR, Nebraska, Adel, IA Thane Jackson OG, Gilbert, AZ Trase Le Texier LB, Boulder Esai Longoria DT, Caldwell, ID Cody McCombs RB, Black Hills St. Billings Mitch McLaughlin WR, Riverside, CA Jed Nagler WR, Whitefish TJ Reynard S, Wisconsin, Virginia Beach, VA Lamarriel Taylor WR, U Mass, Chula Vista, CA

1 Point: Trace Bradshaw DL, Bozeman Brennan Corbin WR, Anaheim, CA Rey Green RB, Vancouver, WA Ben Hardy ATH, Fairview Devin Mau DE, Billings Senior Caleb Mitchell LS, North Bend, WA Cole Rosling DL, Helena Capital Brandon Scott OT, Owasso, OK Ashton Torres OT, Aurora, CO

Zero Points: Brandon Bea QB, Murfreesboro, TN Connor Kaegi QB, Feather River College, Ashland, OR

An Interesting look-back Sask and this is #14 class, yet it would seem disappointing they get no Chipper appearances and lose 3 of 4 to rivals. Disagree?

Thanks for compiling the data Sask.

SaskGriz said:

SaskGriz said:

1 Point: Trace Bradshaw DL, Bozeman Rey Green RB, Vancouver, WA Ben Hardy ATH, Fairview Devin Mau DE, Billings Senior Caleb Mitchell LS, North Bend, WA Cole Rosling DL, Helena Capital Brandon Scott OT, Owasso, OK Ashton Torres OT, Aurora, CO

Zero Points: Brandon Bea QB, Murfreesboro, TN Connor Kaegi QB, Feather River College, Ashland, OR

-10 Points: Brennan Corbin WR, Anaheim, CA(for his shitheaded Kaimin comments on Zac Crews).

This is exhibit A for why I just shake my head at people who just INSIST that Stitt never recruited O-linemen.

AZGrizFan said:
This is exhibit A for why I just shake my head at people who just INSIST that Stitt never recruited O-linemen.

He definitely recruited O lineman, only a couple though were mentally or physically tuff enough to play college football.

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:

He definitely recruited O lineman, only a couple though were mentally or physically tuff enough to play college football.

As opposed to Hauck & Germer???

I love what you have done as far as ranking the recruiting classes. Everyone attempting to put forth this kind of work would probably to some degree use a different rubric. I have really enjoyed looking at the classes but it is hard for me to equate a Gresh Jensen with a Brent Pease. Under your rubric both are worth four points. How many games did Jensen start and play?

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:

Well, the ONLY guy on our starting 5 this year who was a HS recruit was Beaver, one of Stitt’s guys. Every other one was a transfer. Thus, In four years, BH and company have recruited exactly ZERO HS O-linemen who were mentally or physically tough enough to play college football…

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Well, the ONLY guy on our starting 5 this year who was a HS recruit was Beaver, one of Stitt’s guys. Every other one was a transfer. Thus, In four years, BH and company have recruited exactly ZERO HS O-linemen who were mentally or physically tough enough to play college football…

:eek:

BH HS O-Line Recruits:

2018:
Cole Sain - gone by 2019
Cody Hartsoch - gone by 2019
Trevor Welnel - gone, and we hardly knew ye
Gerrit Bloemendaal - expected to see “increased playing time”
Tyler Ganoung - gone in 2021
Cody Kanouse - will compete for minutes…
Conner Quick - Gone by 2021
Sean Anderson - Gone in 2021

2019:
Jonny Granston - gone at the beginning of COVID
Dillon Botner - “add depth”
Dimitru Salagor - Gone by COVID
Colin Dreis - expected to see increased minutes and special teams play
Noah Ambuel - gone by 2022

2020:
Kevin Good - no comment
Brandon Casey - will complete for playing time/possible starter
Kukila Lincoln - will compete for playing time

2021:
Liam Brown - will compete for playing time
Bo Kinney - already gone from team
Declan McCabe - will compete for playing time

2022:
Ethan Barney - incoming freshman

I may have missed one or two, but that’s a whooooole lotta average right there…and some of these guys were highly touted coming out of HS. To be clear, I don’t put that blame on the players, for the most part. That falls squarely on the O-line coach and Hauck.

AZGrizFan said:
BH HS O-Line Recruits:

2018:
Cole Sain - gone by 2019

2019:

2020:
Kevin Good - no comment

2021:

2022:

I may have missed one or two, but that’s a whooooole lotta average right there…and some of these guys were highly touted coming out of HS. To be clear, I don’t put that blame on the players, for the most part. That falls squarely on the O-line coach and Hauck.

Nice work, AZ!

02Grizzly said:
I love what you have done as far as ranking the recruiting classes. Everyone attempting to put forth this kind of work would probably to some degree use a different rubric. I have really enjoyed looking at the classes but it is hard for me to equate a Gresh Jensen with a Brent Pease. Under your rubric both are worth four points. How many games did Jensen start and play?
Yeah, I get where you are coming from. In 30+ years of teaching it's the same reason I hate using rubrics, but you have to put the standards somewhere. They are always going to be debatable, best done over a beer.

I decided a 4 point starter was someone who started in well over half the games in a single season. Had to go with single seasons because so many guys only played one and I was rating classes based on single seasons. And I couldn't differentiate if they were only starting because of injury, suspension, etc. Jensen started in 8 of 11 games during his one season and played the majority of a 9th game.

Folks when you read these, know that there were a lot of painful, judgement calls.

AZGrizFan said:
BH HS O-Line Recruits:

2018:
Cole Sain - gone by 2019

2019:

2020:
Kevin Good - no comment

2021:

2022:

When you spell it out like this, it's so much worse than I thought. Yeesh.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
BH HS O-Line Recruits:

2018:
Cole Sain - gone by 2019

2019:

2020:
Kevin Good - no comment

2021:

2022:

When you spell it out like this, it's so much worse than I thought. Yeesh.

That’s why I cringe when I see them chasing guys who have P5 offers and multiple MWC offers…..we don’t LAND those guys, and we end up with guys like these, who either are projects or who wash out (or both)….thus you have all the holes filled by transfers…

The list that AZGriz showed has (had) some potential. The problem is that Germer has zero clue on how to develop it. He spends no time on these kids. Unless you are one of his 5 starters, you don't get ANY development. And even those 5 starters, they spend all their time in executing the playbook, not improving their skills. It's a real problem. And you can't rest all the blame on him either. These kids have NO nutritional plan whatsoever. It is utterly amazing that the staff and program aren't more involved. I've seen NAIA programs with a better system in place.

AZGrizFan said:
BH HS O-Line Recruits:

2018:
Cole Sain - gone by 2019

2019:

2020:
Kevin Good - no comment

2021:

2022:

Point made. I’d put the blame on Germer for not developing these kids and Hauck for not replacing Germer. I went back to an old post of mine from ‘16 comparing coaches with the NFLers they recruited and coached at Montana. Hauck led all coaches by a landslide but did not recruit one NFL O lineman here. He did coach 3 in Dylan McFarland, Thatcher Szalay, and Cory Procter but they were recruited by Mick Dennehy and Joe Glenn. This is a disturbing trend considering how much Hauck emphasizes that games are won in the trenches.

That really IS a disturbing revelation, ‘Bama. :? :?

I really thought the ‘18 class was gonna be special. Ganoung, Kanouse and Anderson looked like monsters and played like it too. Now, two of the three are gone before their senior seasons, and the one left is “competing for minutes”….disappointing…and there’s nobody on the list after them except maybe for Casey who has STAR written on them, let alone functional.

AZGrizFan said:
That really IS a disturbing revelation, ‘Bama. :? :?

I really thought the ‘18 class was gonna be special. Ganoung, Kanouse and Anderson looked like monsters and played like it too. Now, two of the three are gone before their senior seasons, and the one left is “competing for minutes”….disappointing…and there’s nobody on the list after them except maybe for Casey who has STAR written on them, let alone functional.

So just to clarify, you're saying Liam Brown, for example, is not even a "functional" lineman but Casey has "STAR" written on him? Specifics about their play that you have personally observed to create a stark contrast between their potential at this point in their respective careers would be helpful.

Back