• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2022 Offense/Defense

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:
You are so wrong.

Yeah? Why? The Griz have a run 1st scheme. That requires O-linemen who can run over and through people. We haven't had one of those beasts in a very long time. Even when we've had decent backs - they've struggled in short yardage and in the red zone.

It's not the backs that are the problem.

But, we'll probably hear from you and others how things are gonna change this season...just like the last 6 or so years.
Markus Knight struggled in the red zone to the tune of 25 TDs in 2019. The hole you're digging is getting very deep.

kemajic said:
SoldierGriz said:
Yeah? Why? The Griz have a run 1st scheme. That requires O-linemen who can run over and through people. We haven't had one of those beasts in a very long time. Even when we've had decent backs - they've struggled in short yardage and in the red zone.

But, we'll probably hear from you and others how things are gonna change this season...just like the last 6 or so years.
Markus Knight struggled in the red zone to the tune of 25 TDs in 2019. The hole you're digging is getting very deep.

:lol: :lol:

Yep. Only 33 rushing TD’s in 2019. We sucked.

Oh, and 32 passing TD’s. Can’t ask for better balance than that. I guess the WR’s were more important than i thought, Soldier. :lol:

kemajic said:
SoldierGriz said:

You know damn well the Griz have struggled in the red zone in recent years.

Seriously - you think the linemen on the team right now or over the past 6 years or so have the skills and attributes to win a natty? I don't care who the backs are...

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Oh, and 32 passing TD’s. Can’t ask for better balance than that. I guess the WR’s were more important than i thought, Soldier. :lol:

We all know you lived Stitt and his 25 WR recruits. In fairness - they were pretty damn good!

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

We all know you lived Stitt and his 25 WR recruits. In fairness - they were pretty damn good!

I don’t know if I LIVED Stitt….but I was a supporter. :lol:

LaJollaGriz said:
I urge all of you good fans to continue ragging on Kris. I am sure he appreciates knowing the support he receives from all of you. The coaches love it too. I am done.

Poor baby. Did those posts cause you to go to your safe space? Don't throw stones at other players if you are too weak to handle it.

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

I, too, supported Stitt. I tend to do that with coaches of the Montana Grizzlies. Some may even call me a homer. I don’t think about him much anymore, because he’s not the coach of the Montana Grizzlies.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

I, too, supported Stitt. I tend to do that with coaches of the Montana Grizzlies. Some may even call me a homer. I don’t think about him much anymore, because he’s not the coach of the Montana Grizzlies.

Nor do I, but he sure lives rent free in some folks heads...(not saying yours, Soldier)....

SoldierGriz said:
kemajic said:

Seriously - you think the linemen on the team right now or over the past 6 years or so have the skills and attributes to win a natty? I don't care who the backs are...

The Griz weren’t great, but not too bad in the red zone last few years:

2021 - 79.6% (4th in conference)
2019 - 82.5% (7th in conference)
2018 - 84% (6th in conference)

My take, running backs are much more important at the College level than at the NFL level. In the NFL it has pretty much become a plug and play position with negligible value. But at the college level, where there is more disparity in athleticism just by pure numbers of players, an excellent running back can and is a big deal.

From another thread:

4. RB Yohance Humphrey
On the offensive side of Montana's 2001 championship season lies running back Yohance Humphrey. The Grizzlies quite literally would not have won the 2001 title without Humphrey as he scored the only Montana touchdown. In 2001, Humphrey set the program's single-season rushing record with 1,658 yards, highlighted by his 265 yards against Weber State. Humphrey finished his career as Montana's all-time leading rusher with 4,892 career rushing yards and 54 rushing touchdowns.

kemajic said:
From another thread:

4. RB Yohance Humphrey
On the offensive side of Montana's 2001 championship season lies running back Yohance Humphrey. The Grizzlies quite literally would not have won the 2001 title without Humphrey as he scored the only Montana touchdown. In 2001, Humphrey set the program's single-season rushing record with 1,658 yards, highlighted by his 265 yards against Weber State. Humphrey finished his career as Montana's all-time leading rusher with 4,892 career rushing yards and 54 rushing touchdowns.

Senior All-American guard Thatcher Szalay had a little something to do with it I think....What's even more impressive is they started 3 freshmen and a sophomore in addition to Szalay on that line as I recall. Griz used to have that kind of talent and depth.

HookedonGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:

Ummm...this is where we are now as a fan base? Please tell me this is not how far we've fallen.

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Nor do I, but he sure lives rent free in some folks heads...(not saying yours, Soldier)....

Hey man - he recruited the shit out of some WRs. I am grateful for that.

SoldierGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Ummm...this is where we are now as a fan base? Please tell me this is not how far we've fallen.

Funny how our best year of the three and we were only 6th, last year we underperformed and were 4th. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

Funny how our best year of the three and we were only 6th, last year we underperformed and were 4th. :lol:

And the difference between 1st and middle of pack is 3-4 % points which is why I think the premise that we struggle is misguided

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

And the difference between 1st and middle of pack is 3-4 % points which is why I think the premise that we struggle is misguided

This season from FRANK GOGOLA :

"UM’s offense has struggled once its gotten into the red zone, ranking 58th with a conversion percentage of 80.8%. The Griz have an underlying issues of scoring touchdowns on only 24 of 47 red zone trips (51.1%) and having to settle for 14 field goals on those 47 trips (29.8%)".

SoldierGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

"UM’s offense has struggled once its gotten into the red zone, ranking 58th with a conversion percentage of 80.8%. The Griz have an underlying issues of scoring touchdowns on only 24 of 47 red zone trips (51.1%) and having to settle for 14 field goals on those 47 trips (29.8%)".

Is someone arguing we didn’t struggle THIS season? I think the issue is you claiming we also struggled in ‘19 with 33 rushing TD’s….whereas this year we had just 17…and your claim that backs don’t make a difference in how the O-line performs….

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

Is someone arguing we didn’t struggle THIS season? I think the issue is you claiming we also struggled in ‘19 with 33 rushing TD’s….whereas this year we had just 17…and your claim that backs don’t make a difference in how the O-line performs….

It's O.K. to have different opinions. Seems like so many on this site will fight like hell to be right all of the time, when there is no right or wrong, only an opinion. Kinda goes in-step with the cancel culture happening in America these days.

LaJollaGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

It's O.K. to have different opinions. Seems like so many on this site will fight like hell to be right all of the time, when there is no right or wrong, only an opinion. Kinda goes in-step with the cancel culture happening in America these days.
Relax, it's also OK to stand behind your opinion, especially when you have data to support it. Has nothing to do with cancel culture.

Back