• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM / College Transfer Portal

dayday said:
I just don’t understand why they don’t officially announce these transfers like all other programs do. They usually don’t or take forever in doing it. Mid-year guys are obviously in enrolled now and classes started. It builds excitement to announcement and puts more attention on your brand.

Isn't this the job of the Sports Information Director?

LaJollaGriz said:
dayday said:
I just don’t understand why they don’t officially announce these transfers like all other programs do. They usually don’t or take forever in doing it. Mid-year guys are obviously in enrolled now and classes started. It builds excitement to announcement and puts more attention on your brand.

Isn't this the job of the Sports Information Director?

One would think.

There is zero chance the decision not to announce transfers is the SID's when Bobby Hauck is the head coach. Zero.

Do I think this approach may underestimate the roll social media plays in high school and college culture? Yep. Find a way to use it as a tool.

Tough competition for Greene, had interest from the Griz staff.

https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal/status/1485763529064001536?s=20

previously offered portal entry
https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal/status/1486798499920416768?s=20&t=F_Jvu4DRTuld-cIJsA8sPg

Who is the 2nd official entry?
The article shared about UNC also claimed 2 from Montana
Jackson Pepe seems to be the only guy missing from the roster.

https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal/status/1486825091346403329?s=20&t=zxpkL5v_YO9q44woBZeKcQ

Griztrain said:
Who is the 2nd official entry?
The article shared about UNC also claimed 2 from Montana
Jackson Pepe seems to be the only guy missing from the roster.

https://twitter.com/RivalsPortal/status/1486825091346403329?s=20&t=zxpkL5v_YO9q44woBZeKcQ

One is most definitely Buschini to Nebraska.

As much as we complain about people leaving (like our all American punter or Toure), I’d say overall the portal has been “bery bery good to us”….this year, for example, we’ve traded our punter for an offensive lineman, a CB, an ILB, a new starting QB, and a 3-star WR.

I know there’s a rumor or reporting that there’s a 2nd player of ours in the portal, but is there a single player on the squad that we’d go “fuck, we’re screwed next year if we lose him”, and that we wouldn’t trade for those we’ve gained?

Overall, I’d say that year in and year out, we get more out of the portal than it gets out of the Griz. We can be thankful that we aren’t a school like UNC, that has 8-10+ enter the portal every damned year to GTFO of Greeley.

Would love to see an analysis of the “comings and goings” over the past 4-5 years to compare exiting players with those we gained….Sask? Alabama? Either one of you up to the challenge?

AZGrizFan said:
As much as we complain about people leaving (like our all American punter or Toure), I’d say overall the portal has been “bery bery good to us”….this year, for example, we’ve traded our punter for an offensive lineman, a CB, an ILB, a new starting QB, and a 3-star WR.

I know there’s a rumor or reporting that there’s a 2nd player of ours in the portal, but is there a single player on the squad that we’d go “[#]f###, we’re screwed next year if we lose him”, and that we wouldn’t trade for those we’ve gained?

Overall, I’d say that year in and year out, we get more out of the portal than it gets out of the Griz. We can be thankful that we aren’t a school like UNC, that has 8-10+ enter the portal every damned year to GTFO of Greeley.

Would love to see an analysis of the “comings and goings” over the past 4-5 years to compare exiting players with those we gained….Sask? Alabama? Either one of you up to the challenge?

Agree completely with your post. I will always contend that stadium, facilities and atmosphere play a gigantic role in recruiting and now - the transfer portal. A vast simplification of why a kid chooses a program, but a big part of the equation. Television and web based playbacks of UW game, App State also help. (Other games as well). Don’t forget the players who were successful in the NFL or at least got a shot. Finally, the coaching staff knows what they are doing. Can you imagine being a kid that has to play for No Co or ISU? How will some of the BSC teams ever be competitive? They simply won’t and I don’t love the way things are shaping up. The BSC is turning into a three team league will a few middle tier teams and a bunch of garbage. Maybe it has always been that way? Just magnified with the current mess.

Copper Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I know there’s a rumor or reporting that there’s a 2nd player of ours in the portal, but is there a single player on the squad that we’d go “[#]f###, we’re screwed next year if we lose him”, and that we wouldn’t trade for those we’ve gained?

Agree completely with your post. I will always contend that stadium, facilities and atmosphere play a gigantic role in recruiting and now - the transfer portal. A vast simplification of why a kid chooses a program, but a big part of the equation. Television and web based playbacks of UW game, App State also help. (Other games as well). Don’t forget the players who were successful in the NFL or at least got a shot. Finally, the coaching staff knows what they are doing. Can you imagine being a kid that has to play for No Co or ISU? How will some of the BSC teams ever be competitive? They simply won’t and I don’t love the way things are shaping up. The BSC is turning into a three team league will a few middle tier teams and a bunch of garbage. Maybe it has always been that way? Just magnified with the current mess.
The current state of affairs that exists around the portal is bad regardless if you have a good program or not! We are lucky that all those advantages exist with the program but saying the portal has a "degree of badness" does magnify the problem ... it makes it a bad situation for everyone regardless of how well your program is financed. I went to school in Missoula way before we had a great stadium and remember the empty seats at Dornblaser ... could you even image what it would be like back then if something like the portal existed?

GrizTexas said:
Copper Griz said:
The current state of affairs that exists around the portal is bad regardless if you have a good program or not! We are lucky that all those advantages exist with the program but saying the portal has a "degree of badness" does magnify the problem ... it makes it a bad situation for everyone regardless of how well your program is financed. I went to school in Missoula way before we had a great stadium and remember the empty seats at Dornblaser ... could you even image what it would be like back then if something like the portal existed?

I’m not arguing the merits of the portal…simply that we occupy a position of relative strength and I believe our losses vs our gains each year bear that out.

Deceptively fast for his size. He doesn’t seem that mobile, until he is! Going to be interesting to see who the Griz land. JUCO kids may get the shaft with the portal. Glad to see he has an offer and hope he makes a decision quickly.

Copper Griz said:
Deceptively fast for his size. He doesn’t seem that mobile, until he is! Going to be interesting to see who the Griz land. JUCO kids may get the shaft with the portal. Glad to see he has an offer and hope he makes the right decision quickly.

FIFY :lol:

Back