• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Conference Realignment: Here we go again

Butte5518 said:
I laugh EVERY year this topic comes up. The Griz Fan demands to jump up in competition even though they have not even sniffed at a conference championship since 2009. :thumb: :clap:

Aren’t you guys like .500 all time and like .550 in the last quarter century? You quite literally renewed a losing coach’s contract and then he bailed. Haven’t had a QB who can throw anything but 50/50 balls over 15 yards since before Twitter existed. Culture and trajectory.

CDAGRIZ said:
Butte5518 said:
I laugh EVERY year this topic comes up. The Griz Fan demands to jump up in competition even though they have not even sniffed at a conference championship since 2009. :thumb: :clap:

Aren’t you guys like .500 all time and like .550 in the last quarter century? You quite literally renewed a losing coach’s contract and then he bailed. Haven’t had a QB who can throw anything but 50/50 balls over 15 yards since before Twitter existed. Culture and trajectory.

McGhee and Prukop were both after Twitter was invented...

CDAGRIZ said:
Butte5518 said:

Don't know what the historical stats are, but the Cats we're playing in the last game of the FCS football season and ended up ranked #2 in the nation.. Regardless, my obvious point is perhaps the griz need to at least compete for a BSC championship more than once in 11 years prior to whining that there is no competition in the big sky..

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Well, that is just a technicality. ;)

Butte5518 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Don't know what the historical stats are, but the Cats we're playing in the last game of the FCS football season and ended up ranked #2 in the nation.. Regardless, my obvious point is perhaps the griz need to at least compete for a BSC championship more than once in 11 years prior to whining that there is no competition in the big sky..

I do know the historical stats, and those are about what they are. I guess if that’s what you call “playing”, then live your dream. I don’t think anyone is whining about a lack of competition, just that we belong elsewhere. Remember Sesame Street and “one of these things is not like the others”? It’s kind of like that. I’d suggest a re-watch if you’re struggling with the concept. Wouldn’t hurt to do another run through.

Butte5518 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Montana's and MSU's records over that period are equivalent. You should be whining, too.

kemajic said:
Butte5518 said:
Montana's and MSU's records over that period are equivalent. You should be whining, too.

Since about 2000, my calcs are:
186-147
202-69 (nice)

This was just math in my head, so I could be wrong.
EDIT: Oops, I think I accidentally included the Cliff Hysell era for the Bobcats. Wife just got me a new waxed canvas duster, so maybe I was just inspired.

Da Boyz Mom said:
AZGrizFan said:
The difference is this: Would you rather go on a roadie and watch the Griz play Colorado State in front of 35,000? Or go watch them play UNC in front of 3,500? Or Utah state in front of 40,000 or Weber in front of 4,000? How about Idaho in front of 6,000 or Washington State in front of 40,000?

Having gone to school at an FCS school but just 7 miles from an FBS school, I can assure you the atmosphere, pageantry and tailgating experience was light years better at the FBS school.

Montana has the atmosphere, pageantry and tailgating experience of an FBS school. We have the facilities of an FBS school. Yet here we sit….playing SUU, UNC, PSU, etc., every year. It just doesn’t make sense.

The people who went to the UW game sure got their money's worth. 😆 I almost had my hubby convinced to go then I decided I didn't want to spend that kind of money to watch us lose. Boy was I wrong.

Honestly, I don't really have a dog in this fight. I know people feel passionately about it on both sides but I'm going to be a Griz fan no matter what. It is kind of fun to get people riled up though. 😁

Also - if moving up means the Griz become mediocre and lose a bunch more games then I'm just not for that. And I know the rationale is that somehow the Griz will excel at the next level also, but there's definitely no guarantee of that. It's all just blather on a message board anyway until something different actually happens. 😉
Something to cogitate: the Griz are already mediocre by virtue of their FCS affiliation.😎

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Prukop was another one who threw the 50/50 ball on his longer passes. Anything over about 25 yards and he just winged it out there and hoped the receiver would run to it. More often than not it was not even close. Though he did throw a nice pass on the shorter routes. I’ll certainly give him that.

Butte5518 said:
I laugh EVERY year this topic comes up. The Griz Fan demands to jump up in competition even though they have not even sniffed at a conference championship since 2011. :thumb: :clap:
Conference titles have nothing to do with it, but our title drought is literally 1 year longer than yours, so I'm not sure that's the angle I'd go with on this one if I were you.

uofmman1122 said:
Butte5518 said:
I laugh EVERY year this topic comes up. The Griz Fan demands to jump up in competition even though they have not even sniffed at a conference championship since 2011. :thumb: :clap:
Conference titles have nothing to do with it, but our title drought is literally 1 year longer than yours, so I'm not sure that's the angle I'd go with on this one if I were you.

Reminding you that the Cats did in fact play in the last game of the FCS season, i was just laughing at the notion that the arrogant Griz fan might want to have just a LITTLE recent success prior to crying like stuck pigs that there is no competition in the Big Sky... Hate to tell you this, but it takes more than "Atmosphere, Pageantry and a good Tailgate" to move up to FBS.... it takes the ability to actually compete!! :clap: :clap:

BTW, there are no 9 page blogs on Bobcat Nation whining to move up!!

Butte5518 said:
uofmman1122 said:

Reminding you that the Cats did in fact play in the last game of the FCS season, i was just laughing at the notion that the arrogant Griz fan might want to have just a LITTLE recent success prior to crying like stuck pigs that there is no competition in the Big Sky... Hate to tell you this, but it takes more than "Atmosphere, Pageantry and a good Tailgate" to move up to FBS.... it takes the ability to actually compete!! :clap: :clap:

says the fan who's team we destroyed on 11/20. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and many would question whether your team actually showed up at all for the "last game of the FCS season". Many, including many NDSU fans.

Way to represent. :lol: :lol:

Butte5518 said:
uofmman1122 said:

Reminding you that 11/20/21 wasn't very long ago. Possibly the whining differential relates to the relative success of the programs over the last 35 years. Good that you are so satisfied with the BSC and FCS though. How competitive you were in that last game of the FCS season and on 11/20/21 will do that.

Butte5518 said:
uofmman1122 said:

Reminding you that the Cats did in fact play in the last game of the FCS season

I tried to watch a bit of that game. I'll just say I hope the Bobcats had fun out there.

kemajic said:
Butte5518 said:

Reminding you that 11/20/21 wasn't very long ago. Possibly the whining differential relates to the relative success of the programs over the last 35 years. Good that you are so satisfied with the BSC and FCS though. How competitive you were in that last game of the FCS season and on 11/20/21 will do that.

Of course all of you guys are correct. Who needs to be competitive when your atmosphere, pageantry and strong tailgating should absolutely get you through at the FBS level. The arrogant Griz fan is always good for a laugh 😂😂

Butte5518 said:
kemajic said:

Of course all of you guys are correct. Who needs to be competitive when your atmosphere, pageantry and strong tailgating should absolutely get you through at the FBS level. The arrogant Griz fan is always good for a laugh 😂😂

So in your mind, only Sac State or Weber can move up because they've won the last 5 conference titles? That's the only requirement?

Butte5518 said:
kemajic said:

We need some more culture and trajectory if we expect to be blown out and embarrassed on ESPN+ at 9am. We need things like these:

Shit Pond
Murder
Meth dealing
Firing the best coach you've ever had
Extending the worst coach you've had since Hysell because of one game
Horrible decisions
AD that quits within 12 hours
No QB forever
Modular stadium
Whatever that ACL-tearing turf thing was when the logos looked like US Open rough
Bobcat Batter
Blue Bobcat Cup
Rust
Roofs collapsing
Players on shitters
Jiffy Lube/BAC
C.A.T.S.

Butte5518 said:
kemajic said:

So is the issue Conference Championships or being competitive because those aren't necessarily the same.

AZGrizFan said:
Butte5518 said:

So in your mind, only Sac State or Weber can move up because they've won the last 5 conference titles? That's the only requirement?

Cmon Dude - dont be silly... while each of those programs have had more recent success than the Griz, they lack the 3 most critical components... Atmosphere, Pageantry, and a strong tailgate... That said, perhaps the arrogant Griz fan should focus on using their Atmosphere, Pageantry and strong tailgate talents towards actually being the best in the Big Sky before thinking they can use their Atmosphere, Pageantry and strong tailgate to compete at a higher level... just sayin!

CDAGRIZ said:
Butte5518 said:

We need some more culture and trajectory if we expect to be blown out and embarrassed on ESPN+ at 9am. We need things like these:

Shit Pond
Murder
Meth dealing
Firing the best coach you've ever had
Extending the worst coach you've had since Hysell because of one game
Horrible decisions
AD that quits within 12 hours
No QB forever
Modular stadium
Whatever that ACL-tearing turf thing was when the logos looked like US Open rough
Bobcat Batter
Blue Bobcat Cup
Rust
Roofs collapsing
Players on shitters
Jiffy Lube/BAC
C.A.T.S.

Naaaa - in order to play in the last game of the season, you just need to actually win more games in the non-competitive conference where you fail to compete!

Back