• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU Attendance Issues

ChicagoDuke

Let's just get this one out of the way....

I've seen lots of references to how pathetic JMU's attendance is, and thought it might be informative to give you some facts and theories about what's going on with JMU football Playoff attendance. This is not meant to give excuses....rather, just reasons why it is what it is. And trust me, we die-hards get frustrated this time of year.

First the facts: Bridgeforth stadium holds about 25K. We average ~22K during the regular season. That will always include two sellouts for Homecoming and Family weekend. Excluding those we average about 20K for a normal game. Maybe a little more in September when the weather is nice, and a little less in November for meaningless games against teams like Elon, Stonybrook, or Towson. We only had ~12K for our recent game vs. SELA.

So we can have a nice crowd all season long, but then it really diminishes in the Playoffs. So what's going on? This has roundly debated among the JMU faithful, and here are the most likely reasons....

First I'll address students: During the early games in the season + HC + Family, all 5000 student tickets will be used. But come playoff time, especially if it's the weekend before finals, a portion of those who might normally be inclined to attend are going to stay home to study. I know that might sound silly, but JMU kids study quite a bit (which is different than when I was there in the late 90's). I would expect 4000 students to show up on Friday night, but a lot of them will be late, and if the game is boring or if the weather is sub-optimal quite a few will leave early to get an early start to partying.

But the biggest issue are the Adults/Alumni. In order to understand what's going on here, you have to understand the make-up of our fanbase. When we're talking about JMU fans, almost always talking about an actual graduate of the university (or their significant other). We don't really have casual fans or local fans. I think that stems from the fact that we don't have Virginia in our name like UVA or VT. I'm sure you guys get some of that too.....incredibly passionate fans who root hard for Montana but never actually attended. Rather, they cheer for Montana simply because the Griz represent the great state of Montana. And that's fantastic! So while you've got 1 Million + Montanans (minus the degenerates who chose Montana State) to cheer you on and potentially fill up your stadium, we've only got our 100K alums to draw from. All things considered, I think we've just got a smaller fan base than schools like you, NDSU, etc.

Another point to keep in mind is geography. Very, very few of our fans and alums live anywhere near Harrisonburg. Our biggest concentrations of alumni live in DC, Richmond, or the Norfolk area, which are all 2-3 hours away (but with DC traffic, expect much longer!). So going to a game is kind of a full-day affair. That's quite doable when you have months of notice of dates and times for Saturday games, but it's a heck of a lot harder for a Friday night game announced 6 days earlier. All this is to say not everyone can just wrap up our work day and mosey on down to the game. I guess you could theoretically leave at the end of the workday and get to the stadium right at kick-off, but you've missed the best part, tailgating with your friends. At that point, might as well stay warm and cheer from the couch.

But I think this is the biggest reason: December is just a tough month for folks to drop everything and head to Harrisonburg for a football game. Almost everyone I know has a million obligations this time of year.....work parties, kids holiday concerts, NFL or NBA games, all of that kind of stuff. There's a lot of competition for folks time in December. Many JMU fans will admit that they just can't afford to block off Friday and Saturday for 3 straight weekends in early December to make sure they can attend the games. It sucks, but that's how it is.

So what can you expect on Friday? I think you'll see a late arriving crowd, finally filling in mid-first quarter. I think we'll probably hit 15K, maybe 16K if we're lucky. But those who do show up will be considerably louder than a sold out Homecoming Crowd. It's going to be a good atmosphere, even if it's only 65% capacity.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading this far. Let's all hope for a good game, and regardless, NDSU goes down next week! Go Dukes!

Damn, that is the most well-written and thoughtful post I've read on here in a while. You're welcome to stay far past this weekend, ChicagoDuke!

Hearing all those issues makes me appreciate even more how special we have it with our team and fan base though.

I went to the 2004 NC game in Chattanooga. It ended up badly for me and my team, but I thought the streamers thing your fans do was pretty cool.

mtgriz said:
I went to the 2004 NC game in Chattanooga. It ended up badly for me and my team, but I thought the streamers thing your fans do was pretty cool.

I believe history was just made! No fan of an opposing team has ever complimented the streamers until today. You're too kind.

Because you liked them so much, let's hope you get to see them flying through the air over and over on Friday.

ChicagoDuke said:

I've seen lots of references to how pathetic JMU's attendance is, and thought it might be informative to give you some facts and theories about what's going on with JMU football Playoff attendance. This is not meant to give excuses....rather, just reasons why it is what it is. And trust me, we die-hards get frustrated this time of year.

First the facts: Bridgeforth stadium holds about 25K. We average ~22K during the regular season. That will always include two sellouts for Homecoming and Family weekend. Excluding those we average about 20K for a normal game. Maybe a little more in September when the weather is nice, and a little less in November for meaningless games against teams like Elon, Stonybrook, or Towson. We only had ~12K for our recent game vs. SELA.

So we can have a nice crowd all season long, but then it really diminishes in the Playoffs. So what's going on? This has roundly debated among the JMU faithful, and here's the big reason.

First I'll address students: During the early games in the season + HC + Family, all 5000 student tickets will be used. But come playoff time, especially if it's the weekend before finals, a portion of those who might normally be inclined to attend are going to stay home to study. I know that might sound silly, but JMU kids study quite a bit (which is different than when I was there in the late 90's). I would expect 4000 students to show up on Friday night, but a lot of them will be late, and if the game is boring or if the weather is sub-optimal quite a few will leave early to get an early start to partying.

But the biggest issue are the Adults/Alumni. In order to understand what's going on here, you have to understand the make-up of our fanbase. When we're talking about JMU fans, almost always talking about an actual graduate of the university (or their significant other). We don't really have casual fans or local fans. I think that stems from the fact that we don't have Virginia in our name like UVA or VT. I'm sure you guys get some of that too.....incredibly passionate fans who root hard for Montana but never actually attended. Rather, they cheer for Montana simply because the Griz represent the great state of Montana. And that's fantastic! So while you've got 1 Million + Montanans (minus the degenerates who chose Montana State) to cheer you on and potentially fill up your stadium, we've only got our 100K alums to draw from. All things considered, I think we've just got a smaller fan base than schools like you, NDSU, etc.

Another point to keep in mind is geography. Very, very few of our fans and alums live anywhere near Harrisonburg. Our biggest concentrations of alumni live in DC, Richmond, or the Norfolk area, which are all 2-3 hours away (but with DC traffic, expect much longer!). So going to a game is kind of a full-day affair. That's quite doable when you have months of notice of dates and times for Saturday games, but it's a heck of a lot harder for a Friday night game announced 6 days earlier. All this is to say not everyone can just wrap up our work day and mosey on down to the game. I guess you could theoretically leave at the end of the workday and get to the stadium right at kick-off, but you've missed the best part, tailgating with your friends. At that point, might as well stay warm and cheer from the couch.

But I think this is the biggest reason: December is just a tough month for folks to drop everything and head to Harrisonburg for a football game. Almost everyone I know has a million obligations this time of year.....work parties, kids holiday concerts, NFL or NBA games, all of that kind of stuff. There's a lot of competition for folks time in December. Many JMU fans will admit that they just can't afford to block off Friday and Saturday for 3 straight weekends in early December to make sure they can attend the games. It sucks, but that's how it is.

So what can you expect on Friday? I think you'll see a late arriving crowd, finally filling in mid-first quarter. I think we'll probably hit 15K, maybe 16K if we're lucky. But those who do show up will be considerably louder than a sold out Homecoming Crowd. It's going to be a good atmosphere, even if it's only 65% capacity.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for reading this far. Let's all hope for a good game, and regardless, NDSU goes down next week! Go Dukes!
For a variety of reasons, some of which you point out in the case of JMU, FCS playoffs are not great at the gate. We had a big crowd for EWU, because it was EWU just 200 miles down the road and they had beaten us in a squeaker in Cheney earlier. But our crowds are also typically depressed relative to regular season games. Sometimes we get opponents no one has heard of.

In our case, we have nearly 19,000 season ticket holders and when we are not sold out a lot of it is due to season ticket holder no shows. In the case of playoffs, the season ticket holders must opt-in and pay separately for tickets. Many don't as it seems they've had enough football for the season. Yes, the weather is getting tougher and there are some conflicts with hunting season as well as many of the other seasonal conflicts you also see. Student finals demands, etc. And TV and streaming options keep improving. Recognize we have fans driving up to 700 miles for games, requiring stay-overs at inflated Missoula game weekend rates. Easier to do in good weather, Nov and Dec road conditions can be very dicey here.

ChicagoDuke said:

So we can have a nice crowd all season long, but then it really diminishes in the Playoffs. So what's going on? This has roundly debated among the JMU faithful, and here are the most likely reasons....

Priorities!

ChicagoDuke said:
mtgriz said:

I believe history was just made! No fan of an opposing team has ever complimented the streamers until today. You're too kind.

Because you liked them so much, let's hope you get to see them flying through the air over and over on Friday.

I’d take streamers100x over a team that uses cowbells! Thanks for the post, Duke.

ChicagoDuke said:

:clap:

ChicagoDuke said:

Great post.

The best poster on here isn't even a fan of Montana. Well played sir

CD,

Many of the attendence issues you mention apply to the Griz as well. Playoffs are a tough draw. For us, I believe the age of our season ticket holders are an issue. Many are older and enjoy sitting in the sunshine for a day game in September.

But a night game in December is a whole different enchilada. They do not want to drive at night, the night crowds are more raucous, the weather is often miserable, and they would have to stay up past their bed time. :).

However, the smaller crowd and those who pick up the tickets abandoned by our season tickets holders are much more engaged in the game. I have seen playoff crowds of 18k make more noise than 24k in September.

One comment that is often made about our fans, probably specifically our regulars, is football intelligence. They are loud on defense and quiet on offense. They know when the play-calling is suspect and they (for the most part) respect a correct call made by the refs, but get on them when they screw-up. Do you see the same with JMU fans?

Here's a fun way that they're trying to encourage Students to show up.....have our Australian Punter, Harry O'Kelly, walk around campus and encourage them personally.

Background on Harry....he's a 5th year Senior, and potentially the most popular student on campus. Everyone knows him, ladies love him (the accent can't hurt), he's not a bad punter either. He comes from Australian Rules Football, so he's not afraid to take off on a fake punt, although we haven't called on in 2-3 years. When Mike Houston was here, he gave Harry a green light to run whenever he wanted....basically, if you see enough green space in front of you to get the first down, go get it. Coach Cig has used him more like a traditional punter. The tough thing with Harry is that he can punt both traditional and rugby style. Neither will be huge booming punts, but he's great at giving the coverage team enough time to get downfield.

Also, there's a quick cameo from the all-time kicking leader in FCS, Ethan Ratke. Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/JMUFootball/status/1468750092182114308

ChicagoDuke said:
Here's a fun way that they're trying to encourage Students to show up.....have our Australian Punter, Harry O'Kelly, walk around campus and encourage them personally.

Background on Harry....he's a 5th year Senior, and potentially the most popular student on campus. Everyone knows him, ladies love him (the accent can't hurt), he's not a bad punter either. He comes from Australian Rules Football, so he's not afraid to take off on a fake punt, although we haven't called on in 2-3 years. When Mike Houston was here, he gave Harry a green light to run whenever he wanted....basically, if you see enough green space in front of you to get the first down, go get it. Coach Cig has used him more like a traditional punter. The tough thing with Harry is that he can punt both traditional and rugby style. Neither will be huge booming punts, but he's great at giving the coverage team enough time to get downfield.

Also, there's a quick cameo from the all-time kicking leader in FCS, Ethan Ratke. Enjoy!

https://twitter.com/JMUFootball/status/1468750092182114308

That was cool! Griz should do things like this. Crazy how simple and fun that was, and how I'd bet most of those will make it, plus many that see it online.

ChicagoDuke said:
mtgriz said:

What's the streamers thing? Is there some video or photo of this?
EDIT: Just found some pics online. That does look nice in photos.
I imagine it would be terrible for the cleaning crew, but it looks nice. Thanks for sharing the OP!

GrizGuy said:
I imagine it would be terrible for the cleaning crew, but it looks nice. Thanks for sharing the OP!

You would imagine it would be terrible for the cleaning crew, but it's really not. The ushers are tasked with quickly clearing them up immediately after TDs.....they'll gather them up, and if they find any that haven't unrolled they'll typically find a kid to give them to so they can throw them again. Also, you wouldn't believe the amount of kids running around collecting the unrolled streamers to make streamer balls, or wrap themselves up to be a purple & gold mummy. There's not a lot left laying around by the end of the game.

Funny thing: Streamers are banned from Frisco because of us. We brought an absurd amount in 2016, and I guess NDSU complained in advance of the game and had the NCAA ban them. To be fair, Toyota stadium was absolutely wrecked after the game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/05/jmu-fans-think-ncaas-ban-on-streamer-tradition-is-full-of-crepe/

ChicagoDuke said:
GrizGuy said:

You would imagine it would be terrible for the cleaning crew, but it's really not. The ushers are tasked with quickly clearing them up immediately after TDs.....they'll gather them up, and if they find any that haven't unrolled they'll typically find a kid to give them to so they can throw them again. Also, you wouldn't believe the amount of kids running around collecting the unrolled streamers to make streamer balls, or wrap themselves up to be a purple & gold mummy. There's not a lot left laying around by the end of the game.

Funny thing: Streamers are banned from Frisco because of us. We brought an absurd amount in 2016, and I guess NDSU complained in advance of the game and had the NCAA ban them. To be fair, Toyota stadium was absolutely wrecked after the game.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/05/jmu-fans-think-ncaas-ban-on-streamer-tradition-is-full-of-crepe/

I can only imagine the cost to repair the stadium seats on the NoDak side alone. I understand that Toyota Stadium is planning on the installation of self-buttering doors contingent upon UNDSU making the championship game.

Ursa Major said:
ChicagoDuke said:

I can only imagine the cost to repair the stadium seats on the NoDak side alone. I understand that Toyota Stadium is planning on the installation of self-buttering doors contingent upon UNDSU making the championship game.

You wouldn't know a thing about Toyota stadium, as the grizzlies haven't come close to a national championship game in what two decades?

I heard the city of meth-a-zoola is trying to gouge the city of Frisco for rental of some of their portable meth houses, just in case Montanas' fans will fill at home just in case the can hitch up the covers wagon and make it down there.... Don't worry there will be plenty stillaround In meth-a-zoola I guess they are on every intersections of the dirt roads you got running through that "city"

Cowboys84 said:
Ursa Major said:

You wouldn't know a thing about Toyota stadium, as the grizzlies haven't come close to a national championship game in what two decades?

I heard the city of meth-a-zoola is trying to gouge the city of Frisco for rental of some of their portable meth houses, just in case Montanas' fans will fill at home just in case the can hitch up the covers wagon and make it down there.... Don't worry there will be plenty stillaround In meth-a-zoola I guess they are on every intersections of the dirt roads you got running through that "city"

Thanks. I’m now in concussion protocol after this “sentence”. Good gracious!

CDAGRIZ said:
Cowboys84 said:

Thanks. I’m now in concussion protocol after this “sentence”. Good gracious!

English is hard.

Back