• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU Preview- Fight On Montana Podcast

Adam H

Adam and Angel have Preston Adams from College Sports Journal and JMU Alum on to talk about the Griz next opponent. We take a look at the JMU roster and go over the advantages and disadvantages that each team might have. Also, we go over what the Griz will need to do to be able to win against JMU. Be sure to rate, review, and subscribe to the podcast.

Apple:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/jmu-preview/id1501297246?i=1000544084843

Spotify:
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7gHXTt4unDCw4L2jKRsbl3?si=_TW5HUIcSYOJns4yxczpYA

Just listened to the entire thing. Nice job guys.

Personally, I'm not nearly as optimistic as Preston is about JMU's chances. It sounds like he has faith in every single position group for JMU. I have huge worries about our OL and run game vs a defense like yours. We've proven we can win one-dimensionally vs. inferior competition, but I doubt it's going to work vs. Montana.

Since I refuse to make a prediction where JMU doesn't win, I'll just abstain.

ChicagoDuke said:

Personally, I'm not nearly as optimistic as Preston is about JMU's chances. It sounds like he has faith in every single position group for JMU. I have huge worries about our OL and run game vs a defense like yours. We've proven we can win one-dimensionally vs. inferior competition, but I doubt it's going to work vs. Montana.

Hello, Duke. Maybe it will cheer you up to read why one Griz fan is tending pessimistic about our chances. First, you have a home game. Then you have a truly elite QB slinging the ball around that the Griz can't match, except in guts and desire. UM is no juggernaut on the ground, and run defense is a strength for JMU. You might be able to make us one-dimensional, having to throw more than we want to. UM positives IMO: special teams. Big advantage against most teams on punts and KO returns. UM punter can reverse field position on any kick. CB Justin Ford and WR Sammy Akem are probably as good as any you have. But to win, UM probably needs a defensive score and a couple of TOs. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking 34 - 24 Dukes. Going to be fun.

ChicagoDuke said:

Interestingly enough, you're not the only one I've heard who is concerned about JMU's OL. Matthew Frasse (NDSU) and Kylor Neal (EWU) of the FCS Fans Nation Podcast both said that JMU's young OL most likely will really struggle with Montana's DLine and the blitzing from every angle. Cole may be running around a lot on Friday.

I really wanted to listen to the whole thing because I thought having a JMU fan's perspective would be interesting, however that Preston guy is too condescending and biased. If he were to be believed, the Griz shouldn't even bother getting on the plane. I'm sure their team is very good but they aren't FBS or anything. Oh wait, we beat one of those. Meh.

I didn't find him to be overly condescending. he is a band nerd.
"remember that one time, at band camp . . .?"

Da Boyz Mom said:
I really wanted to listen to the whole thing because I thought having a JMU fan's perspective would be interesting, however that Preston guy is too condescending and biased. If he were to be believed, the Griz shouldn't even bother getting on the plane. I'm sure their team is very good but they aren't FBS or anything. Oh wait, we beat one of those. Meh.

there is another connection (did not know it until Hauck mentioned it in Chalk Talk video)

Scott Rikkers is the Associate Director of Bands and Director of the Marching Royal Dukes at James Madison University. A native of Kalamazoo, Michigan, he received his Bachelor of Music Education from Western Michigan University and Master of Music Education from James Madison University. At JMU Mr. Rikkers is the Director of the Marching Royal Dukes, coordinator of the basketball pep bands, directs the Concert Band, teaches Music Education courses, and supervises student teachers. Prior to his current appointment, Mr. Rikkers was the Assistant Director of Bands at The University of Montana where he coordinated the athletic band program, conducted the University Concert Band, and assisted with the Music Education curriculum. He held a graduate assistantship with the James Madison University band program prior to which he taught k-12 music in Michigan, holding positions in General Music and Middle/High School Band.

Proud Griz Man said:
I didn't find him to be overly condescending. he is a band nerd.
"remember that one time, at band camp . . .?"

Da Boyz Mom said:

there is another connection (did not know it until Hauck mentioned it in Chalk Talk video)

Scott Rikkers is the Associate Director of Bands and Director of the Marching Royal Dukes at James Madison University. A native of Kalamazoo, Michigan, he received his Bachelor of Music Education from Western Michigan University and Master of Music Education from James Madison University. At JMU Mr. Rikkers is the Director of the Marching Royal Dukes, coordinator of the basketball pep bands, directs the Concert Band, teaches Music Education courses, and supervises student teachers. Prior to his current appointment, Mr. Rikkers was the Assistant Director of Bands at The University of Montana where he coordinated the athletic band program, conducted the University Concert Band, and assisted with the Music Education curriculum. He held a graduate assistantship with the James Madison University band program prior to which he taught k-12 music in Michigan, holding positions in General Music and Middle/High School Band.

It's probably more his tone of voice than what he actually said. It was just grating on my nerves. But I was a choir and drama nerd and never a band nerd, so maybe I just don't speak the lingo.

Interesting band connection but I'm wondering how you even have time to dig that stuff up?

I did Not know about the JMU band director until Bobby Hauck mentioned it (chalk talk).

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=Awr9Duyzoq5hhRAAnwJXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNncTEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZANEMTA0NV8xBHNlYwNzYw--?p=montana+grizzlies+chalk+talk+football&fr=mcafee#id=3&vid=f5ce0738d4cfee071b8b49c38b609bc5&action=view

Proud Griz Man said:
I did Not know about the JMU band director until Bobby Hauck mentioned it (chalk talk).

:oops: OOPS. You did say that huh? Reading too fast and not paying enough attention.

Thanks for listening to the podcast. Glad you liked it. I think both of these teams are going to want to get after it defensively. I'm hoping for a great game. Wish this could have been a yearly thing with a home in home series. Again thanks for listening.

ChicagoDuke said:

Da Boyz Mom you should really give it a listen. Preston is very respectable and gives an accurate picture of JMU and respectable to the Griz.
Da Boyz Mom said:

Back