• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Playoff outlook

I hope we get ewu at wgs...then the scats the following week.....and wouldn't it be cool to get Sac in the Championship game.....

retiredpopo said:
I hope we get ewu at wgs...then the scats the following week.....and wouldn't it be cool to get Sac in the Championship game.....
If we get EWU, it won't be in Missoula.

My guess is:
msu ends up 8-3
ewu ends up 10-1
davis ends up 8-3
sac st ends up 9-2 conference winners
UM ends up 9-2

eastern and maybe sac state seeded. After that msu and UM in. The one thing Davis has is both ewu and sac state are home games but I don't think that will help.

nzone said:
My guess is:
msu ends up 8-3
ewu ends up 10-1
davis ends up 8-3
UM ends up 9-2

eastern and maybe sac state seeded. After that msu and UM in. The one thing Davis has is both ewu and sac state are home games but I don't think that will help.
Good guess.

kemajic said:
retiredpopo said:

never know. they could lose to msu and ucd.....and we won't lose again....

After doing a little digging, I think it very much is possible the Big Sky could get 5 and possibly even 6 teams in the playoffs. The only time a conference has ever got 6 teams into the playoffs was the CAA in 2018, (JMU, Delaware, Towson, Elon, Maine, Stony Brook)and of those 6, 4 of them lost out in the first round and JMU went out in the second round.

The CAA right now is on track to get 4 teams in the playoffs JMU and Villanova would both currently be seeds at 6-1. Right behind them at 5-2 is William & Mary, and Rhode Island who has lost their last 2 games. Here is each teams final 4 games:

James Madison 6-1
10/30 vs. Elon 4-3
11/6 @ Campbell (Big South) 3-4
11/13 @ William & Mary 5-2
11/20 vs. Towson 3-4

Villanova 6-1
10/30 vs. William & Mary 5-2
11/6 @ Elon 4-3
11/13 vs. Stony Brook 3-5
11/20 @ Delaware 3-4

William & Mary 5-2
10/30 @ Villanova 6-1
11/6 @ Delaware 3-4
11/13 vs. JMU 6-1
11/20 vs. Richmond 2-5

Rhode Island 5-2
10/30 vs. Maine 3-4
11/6 @ UMass (FBS 1-6)
11/13 vs. New Hampshire 3-4
11/20 @ Elon 4-3

Of these teams, the one that's the most in danger is William & Mary. I don't see them knocking off either JMU or Villanova. If they lose both of those games, they will finish 7-4 but will have no quality wins. IMO, I don't think that's good enough. I think the CAA is safe with 3 teams for sure in (JMU, Villanova, Rhode Island). Maybe a 7-4 W&M gets in but how can you make an argument to put them in over a 7-4 Weber? I don't see it. Also worth noting that Elon currently sits at 4-3 but 3 of their final 4 opponents are the teams listed above. Lose any 2 of those games and their dead. I think the CAA gets 3 teams at best.

Now to the Valley. Currently they have 3 teams that look like locks and seeds (NDSU 7-0, SIU 6-1, SDSU 5-2). There are a ton of teams currently sitting at 4 losses and I personally don't see any of those teams winning out. There are 3 teams currently sitting at 3 losses. Those 3 are Missouri State, Northern Iowa, and South Dakota. Let's take a look at their remaining schedules

Missouri State 4-3
10/30 vs. North Dakota 3-4
11/6 @ Southern Illinois 6-1
11/13 vs. UNI 4-3
11/20 @ Dixie State 0-7

Northern Iowa 4-3
10/30 vs. Southern Illinois 6-1
11/6 @ Illinois State 3-4
11/13 @ Missouri State 4-3
11/20 vs. Western Illinois 1-7

South Dakota 5-3
11/6 @ Western Illinois
11/13 vs. SDSU
11/20 @ NDSU

Looking at these schedules, I think 2 of these 3 teams will be eliminated, but the Valley has been known to be really weird. I think South Dakota is gonna drop those final 2 games, and I think Missouri State and UNI are both going to lose to SIU. Meaning that 11/13 between Missouri State and UNI will be a playoff elimination game for whoever loses. IMO, I think the Valley gets 4 teams in which could open the door for a 5th Big Sky team to get in. 6 teams will be tough but with some help and some upsets, it can certainly happen.

nzone said:
My guess is:
msu ends up 8-3
ewu ends up 10-1
davis ends up 8-3
UM ends up 9-2

If the Griz go 9-2 with wins over UW and msu we'll be seeded.

Griz til I die said:
After doing a little digging, I think it very much is possible the Big Sky could get 5 and possibly even 6 teams in the playoffs. The only time a conference has ever got 6 teams into the playoffs was the CAA in 2018, (JMU, Delaware, Towson, Elon, Maine, Stony Brook)and of those 6, 4 of them lost out in the first round and JMU went out in the second round.

The CAA right now is on track to get 4 teams in the playoffs JMU and Villanova would both currently be seeds at 6-1. Right behind them at 5-2 is William & Mary, and Rhode Island who has lost their last 2 games. Here is each teams final 4 games:

James Madison 6-1
10/30 vs. Elon 4-3
11/6 @ Campbell (Big South) 3-4
11/13 @ William & Mary 5-2
11/20 vs. Towson 3-4

Villanova 6-1
10/30 vs. William & Mary 5-2
11/6 @ Elon 4-3
11/13 vs. Stony Brook 3-5
11/20 @ Delaware 3-4

William & Mary 5-2
10/30 @ Villanova 6-1
11/6 @ Delaware 3-4
11/13 vs. JMU 6-1
11/20 vs. Richmond 2-5

Rhode Island 5-2
10/30 vs. Maine 3-4
11/6 @ UMass (FBS 1-6)
11/13 vs. New Hampshire 3-4
11/20 @ Elon 4-3

Of these teams, the one that's the most in danger is William & Mary. I don't see them knocking off either JMU or Villanova. If they lose both of those games, they will finish 7-4 but will have no quality wins. IMO, I don't think that's good enough. I think the CAA is safe with 3 teams for sure in (JMU, Villanova, Rhode Island). Maybe a 7-4 W&M gets in but how can you make an argument to put them in over a 7-4 Weber? I don't see it. Also worth noting that Elon currently sits at 4-3 but 3 of their final 4 opponents are the teams listed above. Lose any 2 of those games and their dead. I think the CAA gets 3 teams at best.

Now to the Valley. Currently they have 3 teams that look like locks and seeds (NDSU 7-0, SIU 6-1, SDSU 5-2). There are a ton of teams currently sitting at 4 losses and I personally don't see any of those teams winning out. There are 3 teams currently sitting at 3 losses. Those 3 are Missouri State, Northern Iowa, and South Dakota. Let's take a look at their remaining schedules

Missouri State 4-3
10/30 vs. North Dakota 3-4
11/6 @ Southern Illinois 6-1
11/13 vs. UNI 4-3
11/20 @ Dixie State 0-7

Northern Iowa 4-3
10/30 vs. Southern Illinois 6-1
11/6 @ Illinois State 3-4
11/13 @ Missouri State 4-3
11/20 vs. Western Illinois 1-7

South Dakota 5-3
11/6 @ Western Illinois
11/13 vs. SDSU
11/20 @ NDSU

Looking at these schedules, I think 2 of these 3 teams will be eliminated, but the Valley has been known to be really weird. I think South Dakota is gonna drop those final 2 games, and I think Missouri State and UNI are both going to lose to SIU. Meaning that 11/13 between Missouri State and UNI will be a playoff elimination game for whoever loses. IMO, I think the Valley gets 4 teams in which could open the door for a 5th Big Sky team to get in. 6 teams will be tough but with some help and some upsets, it can certainly happen.

I’m starting to wonder if there are more Illinois or more Pauldings.

Let me put my blue glasses on for a second: here’s my big sky picture come seeding time:

MSU: 10-1
EWU: 9-2
SAC: 9-2
UCD: 8-3
UM: 8-3
WSU: 7-4

I posted this on BN as well. Here’s where I struggle: 5 teams finish 8-3 or better… UM has 3 quality losses to UCD’s 2 so does that get them in over UCD? Then you have poor WSU on the bottom. IMO, they beat any team outside the top 15 and they proved that last weekend beating EWU with a back up QB… heart goes out to their fan base. Anyways, I see MSU and EWU getting seeds, SAC gets a home game to start, idk where that leaves UCD or UM in the mix. But I think this is a year we get 5 in.

CatsRback said:
Let me put my blue glasses on for a second: here’s my big sky picture come seeding time:

I posted this on BN as well. Here’s where I struggle: 5 teams finish 8-3 or better… UM has 3 quality losses to UCD’s 2 so does that get them in over UCD? Then you have poor WSU on the bottom. IMO, they beat any team outside the top 15 and they proved that last weekend beating EWU with a back up QB… heart goes out to their fan base. Anyways, I see MSU and EWU getting seeds, SAC gets a home game to start, idk where that leaves UCD or UM in the mix. But I think this is a year we get 5 in.
Given your scenario, does Sac State bid enough to guarantee a first round home game? There's not enough history to accurately determine, but it's not a guarantee.

I think your record guesses are fairly decent. I do think EWU beats MSU, which would switch their records, otherwise things look good (Montana goes 8-3 or 9-2).

grizband said:
CatsRback said:

Given your scenario, does Sac State bid enough to guarantee a first round home game? There's not enough history to accurately determine, but it's not a guarantee.

I think your record guesses are fairly decent. I do think EWU beats MSU, which would switch their records, otherwise things look good (Montana goes 8-3 or 9-2).

That’s a tough one. Sac did have a super interesting 2019 that really amounted to nothing in the end. They lost their all American running back. I’m not sure what the committee thinks.. they love their East coast and MVFC teams..

retiredpopo said:

I call bullshit. The last thing you want is to lose twice in a season to the Cats, and no way does um host a playoff game against MSU…..

Bear Spray said:
retiredpopo said:

I call bullshit. The last thing you want is to lose twice in a season to the Cats, and no way does um host a playoff game against MSU…..
If we're both 9-2, we'll likely get a higher seed.

I don't think we will be, but to say it can't happen is wrong, IMO.

Bear Spray said:
retiredpopo said:

It’s white noise- These guys have been wide left all year. Just ignore the banter. We will get a 1-3 seed, Griz will have to play the first weekend while we watch and luge off the great divide.

kemajic said:
retiredpopo said:

well how about that? seems like we just might altho I not sure if ewu will win saturday or not........

CatsRback said:
Bear Spray said:

It’s white noise- These guys have been wide left all year. Just ignore the banter. We will get a 1-3 seed, Griz will have to play the first weekend while we watch and luge off the great divide.

hmmm 1-3 you say....I missed it who are the griz playing this weekend?

Back