• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Elite Griz QB

Sport said:
If memory serves me correctly Super Davis’s “official” stats did not include playoff or the National Championship Game. Someone correct me if that’s wrong.

You're correct.

mtgrizrule said:
Sneed was terrific his SR year. Too bad, he played bad in the Weber playoff game. Loved watching Sneed.

Over the last 15 years, Sneed and JJ were the only GRIZ qbs that I'd consider elite, in different ways. JJ had an elite career. Sneed had an elite Sr year. Further back Ochs, Miller, Ayat (sp?). Pease had a brief NFL career. Unfortunately, I don't remember much of his playing days

Pease started 3 games for the Oilers in 1987 when Warren Moon was injured early in the season. He just had one good game, against Denver who the Oilers beat 40-10. The other NFL QB who played during the regular season was Wild Bill Kelly, who clearly belongs in any elite discussion. Kelly however was a back in the pros.

garizzalies said:
kemajic said:
Help me understand how this works. JJ played in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014. 2012 was his redshirt year. So how did he "lose" a year?

A common metric for QBs is completion percentage; elite QBs usually show very high percentages. How does JJ stand relative to the others in that stat? Was it selectively ignored?

Personally, I think Nate Montana should be in the discussion for obvious reasons.
Have you been smoking Krakauer? Or maybe you blocked that year.
Here’s where I found my stats—the go Griz record book.
https://gogriz.com/documents/2021/7/20/Record_Book_2021.pdf

If you want to argue that we’ve had exactly one elite QB (and only one ncaa hall-of-famer), that’s cool with me. But if you expand the definition beyond super Dave, JJ should be included. His name is everywhere on those lists. Some that I didn’t even mention, like most TDs, longest, etc. Here’s a good one:

HIGHEST PASSING EFFICIENCY
322.3 .......Jordan Johnson, North Dakota, 2013 (19-15-0, .789%, 354-Yds, 5 TD)
(Big Sky Record)

I’d love to see the career QB rushing record list. Anyone know where to find that?

I couldn’t find Nate Dog on any lists, but your boy Ochs had a great year. No doubt. One season. So did your buddy roger maris, but he’s not in the hall of fame because of no longevity.

Career-wise, 3 names keep coming up on UM’s lists. Again, about a third of all the greatest seasons at UM are by the same 3 guys.

And isn’t that the point...er the reason for this thread. We have a young QB with a long career ahead. Good grief the kid wins a POW award on his first god damned start but around here you’d think he pissed an effigy of a stick figure humping the mid-field Griz logo and poked BH’s eye out with an errant clipboard.

DD not the only UM NCAA Hall of Famer. Wild Bill Kelly was inducted in 1969

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
I mean your definition of elite is pretty low standard IMO. The Griz haven’t won the Big Sky conference in football in a decade, have a losing record to both Montana State and EWU over the last decade….but are still an “elite” FCS program in your mind.

I don’t know…..it kind of begs the question. Have the Griz ever really had an elite QB? I mean , the greatest QB in Griz history, The Midget, never took a snap in the NFL.

THAT DOES IT! I'm so mad. I mean, this really got under my skin. I'm going over to the Bizon board to give them all a piece of my mind. I'll be back after 1,500 posts.

source.gif

Pretty elite QB play today

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
THAT DOES IT! I'm so mad. I mean, this really got under my skin. I'm going over to the Bizon board to give them all a piece of my mind. I'll be back after 1,500 posts.

source.gif

When are you going to pay your bet...

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

source.gif

Elite, shit I would have been happy with good.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

source.gif

Huh?

SACCAT66 said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
What was the bet?

$100 to special Olympics of Montana when your LB that went to LSU didn't get drafted by the 3rd round.

Ah I forgot all about that. His hamstring injury right before combine really impacted that BTW….but nonetheless I lost fair and square.

I’ll send you a PM with the receipt.

Back