• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kaimin Griz Colors

Proud Griz Man

DONOR
614bb8ce48c7b.image.jpg

Jack Marshall / Montana Kaimin Sep 23, 2021
. . . University of Montana football team unveiled some new maroon and silver uniforms that are very classy and have brought the Griz good luck. But the Grizzlies’ iconic copper and gold 1990 color scheme needs to come back.

“A classic look never goes out of style,” tweeted the official Griz football account back in 2018, the last time Montana flaunted its copper and gold colorway. If only that sentiment had stayed.After wearing perhaps the greatest throwback uniform of all time in 2018, Montana has stopped wearing copper and gold. Maroon and silver aren’t bad, it’s just that copper and gold are so damn good. Montana’s retro colorway allows its boomer fans to reminisce about the glory days, while UM students can throw these colors on as a trendy vintage look — despite not being alive when the colors were last officially used. There have been a few variations of the copper and gold uniforms, but the most recent ones UM wore were the best. The 2018 throwback uniforms were straight-up sexy. The copper and gold jersey was complemented by silver pants and white socks. A gold “Montana” was displayed just above the gold-outlined white jersey numbers.

Perhaps the best part of the uniform was the helmet, which was a shiny silver color similar to Montana’s current helmets. The helmets had white face masks and a copper and gold Griz sticker that was certainly more aesthetic than UM’s current maroon logo.
Montana wore the throwbacks when Griz legend Dave Dickenson, who led Montana to its 1995 championship, returned to Missoula. UM, with the help of its flashy uniforms, won the game, and the Griz nation rejoiced. “Who knew Montana had some of the cleanest jersey’s in the game?” one fan commented on Twitter. “These are still my favorite Griz unis,” added another. And then, the copper and gold disappeared. For the last three years, Montana has stuck with simplicity, only wearing the maroon and silver.

The retro uniforms bring the Griz good luck. In the 2018 game, Montana won 41-34. In 2015, when Montana wore a version of the copper and gold uniforms with white helmets, it beat Northern Arizona at home 23-14. In 2008, Montana wore the jerseys for the first time since its national championship, in a game against Montana State. UM warmed up in its normal uniforms and then ran out in the throwbacks. The Griz proceeded to kick the doors off MSU, 35-3.Bringing back some of the 1995 national championship mojo against MSU might be a key to breaking the Bobcats’ four-game win streak in the rivalry series.

And of course, the copper and gold colors treated Montana well in the 1995 season, when it won the program’s first national championship. Any Griz fan who says the copper and gold colors aren’t good luck is lying to themselves. The copper and gold represent a time in the ‘90s when the Griz became good at football, but also a time when UM was popular. It was the place to be: Montana’s iconic mascot Monte had just arrived, enrollment was on the upswing and “A River Runs Through it” had just been released. The vibes were immaculate.

Didn't eGriz have a news forum where a guy could find the Gameday Kaimin and other relevant Griz news ? ?

also in the kaimin. will get the olds and tough guys on this board uppity:

http://www.montanakaimin.com/sports/um-athletics-will-not-specify-vaccination-numbers-among-student-athletes/article_0dfa4724-1bfb-11ec-a68c-5739d63a11c3.html

Maroon and silver are UM's traditional colors. The copper and gold were used from 1967 through 1995. I think using the retro colors for a game now and then is kind of nostalgic, but I think the Griz look better in their traditional maroon and silver. As to which colors have brought UM more success, it's not even a close comparison. The Griz had the most wins (197) between 2000-2019 of any FCS program. By comparison EWU had 164 wins, Weber State had 116 wins and Montana State had 107 wins during that time period. NDSU had 165 wins as a FCS team in that period of time after they moved up in 2004. The Griz look best in Maroon and Silver!!

KILO217 said:
Maroon and silver are UM's traditional colors. The copper and gold were used from 1967 through 1995. I think using the retro colors for a game now and then is kind of nostalgic, but I think the Griz look better in their traditional maroon and silver. As to which colors have brought UM more success, it's not even a close comparison. The Griz had the most wins (197) between 2000-2019 of any FCS program. By comparison EWU had 164 wins, Weber State had 116 wins and Montana State had 107 wins during that time period. NDSU had 165 wins as a FCS team in that period of time after they moved up in 2004. The Griz look best in Maroon and Silver!!

:clap: :clap:

argh! said:

http://www.montanakaimin.com/sports/um-athletics-will-not-specify-vaccination-numbers-among-student-athletes/article_0dfa4724-1bfb-11ec-a68c-5739d63a11c3.html

I was wondering, argh!, what's Mandarin for 'uppity?'

These Kaimin people are what, 20-22 y/o. No such thing as a redshirt fifth, sixth, or seventh year Kaimin 'reporter.' They are rediscovering Griz history, but don't see any point in actual 'research.' What we, the OLD people, take for granted, these fresh outa high school geniuses gotta tell the world all about their 'discoveries.' :roll: Take a bow, Jack! :clap: This here's your five minutes of fame and glory.

3-7-77 said:
argh! said:

I was wondering, argh!, what's Mandarin for 'uppity?'

These Kaimin people are what, 20-22 y/o. No such thing as a redshirt fifth, sixth, or seventh year Kaimin 'reporter.' They are rediscovering Griz history, but don't see any point in actual 'research.' What we, the OLD people, take for granted, these fresh outa high school geniuses gotta tell the world all about their 'discoveries.' :roll: Take a bow, Jack! :clap: This here's your five minutes of fame and glory.

This! Heads should roll! :lol:

KILO217 said:
Agree, the Texas burnt orange and babysh!t yellow looked like cartoons. Maroon and silver was still used in '67; the change came in '68. Brian Magnuson never looked like a cartoon.

Proud Griz Man said:

Sometimes I wish they would go back to the original colors. This was close, but the original with the gold helmet was way better. I’m not sure why we switched up from the OGs and decades of tradition.

CDAGRIZ said:
Proud Griz Man said:

Sometimes I wish they would go back to the original colors. This was close, but the original with the gold helmet was way better. I’m not sure why we switched up from the OGs and decades of tradition.

they were going to, but some guy in nowhere, eastern montana said he was going to totally stop supporting the griz unless the color scheme was exactly what he wanted. and why not? he had it way tougher than you , and even he paid for college with that paper route money he earned one summer. didn't bitch about wanting handouts, he worked a couple hours a day one summer, which bought him four years of college. no way kids these days would be willing to do that, just no way.

argh! said:
CDAGRIZ said:

they were going to, but some guy in nowhere, eastern montana said he was going to totally stop supporting the griz unless the color scheme was exactly what he wanted. and why not? he had it way tougher than you , and even he paid for college with that paper route money he earned one summer. didn't bitch about wanting handouts, he worked a couple hours a day one summer, which bought him four years of college. no way kids these days would be willing to do that, just no way.

Listen, Mac, I pull my bootstraps up one strap at a time just like the next fella. I worked for $1.25 per day as a turd farmer and traded a Sony Betamax recorder for a 3 bedroom house straight up in 1977, so don't tell me about the struggle. But, if they don't return to the original colors, I will be forced to withdraw all of my support for UM. My hands are tied. There's nothing I can do about it.

argh! said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I don’t know the story behind the change or how and who made it come about. What can you tell us? I was in school when the Texas orange and yellow were the colors. I have tried a google search and haven’t been able to find any other instances where a school changed its team colors, name, yes but not school colors, because will, they are our colors. Kinda of like a Scottish clan or gang thing. Weird, but just as weird when they changed to Texas orange. I heard it had something to with a coaches clinic on the wish bone in Texas and the coaches came back from the clinic with the Longhorns wish bone attack and their color too. Anyone know if that is true or not? And if so how the hell did they get away with it? Wasn’t there any push back from the faithful?

KILO217 said:

Agreed. No need to go to the temporary copper that doesn't look like copper, silver, and gold that doesn't look like gold.

The Voice of the Montana Grizzlies endures:
"First on the agenda(of new coach Jack Swarthout, in 1967)was standardizing the schools colors that had been copper, silver, and gold since the inception of football in 1897. So called 'spirit colors' were maroon and silver. Swarthout noted that Montana's teams wore different shades and colors, and suggested that all teams be consistent so as to be recognizable. Copper, silver and gold were chosen, and remained the colors until 1996 when teams reverted back to maroon and silver."--from 'The University of Montana Football Vault,' by Mick Holien, p. 63.

Back