• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2021 offense discussion, strengths / concerns

reinell30 said:
I believe for the 1st time is a very long time, if even ever, the Griz will be led in rushing by a freshman. I liked what I saw from Harris and think he is for real.
Thanks Brint! Look forward to your future reports, it is a huge part of the Grizzly football experience for me!

Well, Marcus Knight was close to a Freshman his first year. . . keep that in mind. He only had 3 months at a JUCO and then got picked up as a Freshman. Harris is "technically" a Sophomore now. . .due to the COVID year off. All the guys have been sitting around awhile in this crazy last year. The good news is, if we can do well in the running game this year, we will have an abundance of riches when Marcus Knight returns. He will still have 2 years left and the other guys will have 2-3 years (in some cases) left as well. I have heard Knight is doing great in his recovery and will be back to 100% and even better. Expect bigger, stronger, faster. . .and very determined. . .upon his return. Go Griz!

Kobezoey said:
reinell30 said:
I believe for the 1st time is a very long time, if even ever, the Griz will be led in rushing by a freshman. I liked what I saw from Harris and think he is for real.
Thanks Brint! Look forward to your future reports, it is a huge part of the Grizzly football experience for me!

Well, Marcus Knight was close to a Freshman his first year. . . keep that in mind. He only had 3 months at a JUCO and then got picked up as a Freshman. Harris is "technically" a Sophomore now. . .due to the COVID year off. All the guys have been sitting around awhile in this crazy last year. The good news is, if we can do well in the running game this year, we will have an abundance of riches when Marcus Knight returns. He will still have 2 years left and the other guys will have 2-3 years (in some cases) left as well. I have heard Knight is doing great in his recovery and will be back to 100% and even better. Expect bigger, stronger, faster. . .and very determined. . .upon his return. Go Griz!

Very encouraging news KOBE!

EverettGriz said:
hunt-ducks said:
Listing Humphrey in the strength discussion merely because he is a senior? Unfortunately, talent (or lack thereof) has little to do with class. A kid can either play, or he can't. The QB position is the biggest unknown on this team. Humphrey will be the weakest starting QB at UM since the transfer from Bowling Green started for a few games before being replaced. It has less to do with Humphrey's physical ability, and more to do with his decision-making ability. You know Bobby's hatred for turnovers. Need I say more?

I have absolutely no concerns about the tight end position. We have three players there who are all capable of excelling.

An area of concern is our depth and experience level at the LB position. A couple of injuries at that position could be troubling.

And strangely, some people have neither...

Your mirror never lies

Spanky2 said:
hunt-ducks said:
Listing Humphrey in the strength discussion merely because he is a senior? Unfortunately, talent (or lack thereof) has little to do with class. A kid can either play, or he can't. The QB position is the biggest unknown on this team. Humphrey will be the weakest starting QB at UM since the transfer from Bowling Green started for a few games before being replaced. It has less to do with Humphrey's physical ability, and more to do with his decision-making ability. You know Bobby's hatred for turnovers. Need I say more?

I have absolutely no concerns about the tight end position. We have three players there who are all capable of excelling.

An area of concern is our depth and experience level at the LB position. A couple of injuries at that position could be troubling.
Wouldn’t it be better to support Humphrey, especially when the season hasn’t started?

What does "support" have to do with making a football observation on this site, which is all about discussing Griz football. Some of you are incapable of ever saying anything viewed as "negative" towards the team. I call them sugar-coaters. I discuss football, not lollypops and flowers.

Kobezoey said:
reinell30 said:

I love Knight, and I have zero worries about our RB situation for the next few seasons. We go 4-deep with talent, and there are not enough footballs to go around to the dudes who deserve to be packing the rock for this team. Now, the QB position is another story.

A general post: Come on, dudesses. Do you really think that other college football boards avoid any critical analysis of the starting players? I have visited the Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State message boards during the last 2-3 years, and found spirited discussions, which some would label as "bad fans" of those programs, providing critical comments about players. These players are men now, and they realize that they are under the microscope from the alumni, supporters, and the general fan base. It goes with the territory.

If Cam Humphrey reads my posts critical of his decision-making ability...... hopefully he takes it as a challenge to prove me wrong. And, I hope he does prove me wrong. I am just as much a Griz fan as any of you. But I am not immune to making critical observations about the team, or individual players, like some of you.

In summary, I love the make-up of this Grizzly football team. I think Bobby has been here long enough to re-build the program into a team with the talent level to both win the Big Sky, and to go deep into the playoffs. However, I have some concerns about a couple of positions...... the most glaring concern being the QB position. I believe that we will go as far as our QB position takes us. And, I have already provided my thoughts that Brown will be the answer at the QB position. This is based upon discussions from his high school coaches, as well as current Griz assistant coaches. My view is that Brown escaped national attention from coaches, and recruiting services, by moving from California to Bozeman. I really feel that he is an FBC talent, whom the Griz lucked-out to sign because he played high school ball in Montana. Carson Wentz reincarnated.

If I am proven wrong, I will be the first to admit it on egriz.

AZGrizFan said:
grizfan1984 said:
My biggest concern is the QB depth with Humphrey having the concussion he had in the spring Brown is a very good backup, Rygol seems to have left the team as he’s no longer on the roster, Patterson seems to be injured quite a bit, Rostad as far as I know moved to LB so behind them is freshman Daniel Britt and Quinn Lamers

Still can’t believe they couldn’t scrape together a schollie for the UW kid who wanted to come here. Hope that doesn’t end up biting us in the ass….
I REALLY doubt that is true. I bet he had very minimal interest.

grizfan1984 said:
My biggest concern is the QB depth with Humphrey having the concussion he had in the spring Brown is a very good backup, Rygol seems to have left the team as he’s no longer on the roster, Patterson seems to be injured quite a bit, Rostad as far as I know moved to LB so behind them is freshman Daniel Britt and Quinn Lamers

I’m not worried about QB’s at all. I’m worried about our Oline and Dline.

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:
Still can’t believe they couldn’t scrape together a schollie for the UW kid who wanted to come here. Hope that doesn’t end up biting us in the ass….
I REALLY doubt that is true. I bet he had very minimal interest.

Well that wasn’t the story at the time.

WaGriz4life said:
grizfan1984 said:

I’m not worried about QB’s at all. I’m worried about our Oline and Dline.
I'm also not worried about our QBs. I'm worried about our running game which was all Knight in 2019. He made an OL look better than they were. We may have quantity at RB, but we do not have Knight who was special. Running game fail puts more pressure on the passing game and on the D if we can't grind out first downs and extend drives.

Kobezoey said:
reinell30 said:

The difference is Knight had about 25 lb on tiny Harris. Harris is a great talent, but he must be used selectively, or he is likely to wear down or get hurt. He will not be able to handle the number of carries Knight did in 2019. He will get stronger as he matures. Ostmo will get a lot of carries, but he does not have the burst of Knight or Harris.

kemajic said:
Kobezoey said:
The difference is Knight had about 25 lb on tiny Harris. Harris is a great talent, but he must be used selectively, or he is likely to wear down or get hurt. He will not be able to handle the number of carries Knight did in 2019. He will get stronger as he matures. Ostmo will get a lot of carries, but he does not have the burst of Knight or Harris.

Don’t count out Childs either I’ve heard he’s going to be a beast

Kobezoey said:

TERMINOLOGY 001:
For those without college experience, don't pay any attention to the 001. The rest of you know the reference.

You seem to be stumbling over the use of the words 'freshman' and 'sophomore.' They are terms related to academic standing, classroom experience if you will, in high school or college.

Footballers have four years of eligibility, Freshmen being first year eligible, Sophomores second year, etc. Let's not get into NCAA terminology.

What is not 'technically' difficult to understand is how many playing seasons each player has left. Harris has three, so in mid-December, he was academically still a freshman, but in football terms a sophomore for the upcoming season.

Eligibility is not 'close to' or 'technically' correct. It is precise.

3-7-77 said:
Kobezoey said:

TERMINOLOGY 001:
For those without college experience, don't pay any attention to the 001. The rest of you know the reference.

You seem to be stumbling over the use of the words 'freshman' and 'sophomore.' They are terms related to academic standing, classroom experience if you will, in high school or college.

Footballers have four years of eligibility, Freshmen being first year eligible, Sophomores second year, etc. Let's not get into NCAA terminology.

What is not 'technically' difficult to understand is how many playing seasons each player has left. Harris has three, so in mid-December, he was academically still a freshman, but in football terms a sophomore for the upcoming season.

Eligibility is not 'close to' or 'technically' correct. It is precise.

I bet there are a lot of organizations in Great Falls that need volunteers. Churches, Rescue Mission, maybe the pound.

Seems like you have a lot of free time on your hands.

That's what retirement is all about. Now, I know why those old people wore those pithy T-shirts with expressions like "I'm retired. Don't ask me to do a damn thing." But, you keep on a workin', my Social Security and Medicare need your contributions. :twocents:

3-7-77 said:
That's what retirement is all about. Now, I know why those old people wore those pithy T-shirts with expressions like "I'm retired. Don't ask me to do a damn thing." But, you keep on a workin', my Social Security and Medicare need your contributions. :twocents:

Each successive post further validates the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

This is an old saw, but in the final analysis this team will go as far as the O-line will take them. It is as simple and as complex as that!

Gaeilge1 said:
This is an old saw, but in the final analysis this team will go as far as the O-line will take them. It is as simple and as complex as that!

Then, they will go far.

Back