• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Med School Missed Opportunity?

grizindabox said:
SoldierGriz said:
Appreciate this info, thanks.

I think the fact that entities are working to put a medical school in Montana is worth something. Perhaps the quality is questionable...

I just look at it this way:

1. If Montana is going to get a medical school....and...
2. If that medical school is of questionable quality...then...
3. Why can't UM make an investment to get a higher quality medical school in Missoula?

The entire University system along with the private higher ed institutions in the state have deemed the investment to start a medical school far outweighs the return. They find the current relationship with UW through WWAMI to be more beneficial and cost effective. Like work stated, there are a few healthcare entities in Montana that have been trying for a decade to put a system together to find health care professional to place in their clinics in smaller outlying areas without having to foot the huge financial burden. None of the institutions of higher ed within the state want to take on the finances and these healthcare entities having been looking for out-of-state organizations to come in and foot a large part of the bill.

Thanks.

grizindabox said:
SoldierGriz said:

I think the fact that entities are working to put a medical school in Montana is worth something. Perhaps the quality is questionable...

3. Why can't UM make an investment to get a higher quality medical school in Missoula?

The entire University system along with the private higher ed institutions in the state have deemed the investment to start a medical school far outweighs the return. They find the current relationship with UW through WWAMI to be more beneficial and cost effective. Like work stated, there are a few healthcare entities in Montana that have been trying for a decade to put a system together to find health care professional to place in their clinics in smaller outlying areas without having to foot the huge financial burden. None of the institutions of higher ed within the state want to take on the finances and these healthcare entities having been looking for out-of-state organizations to come in and foot a large part of the bill.
Have there been discussions about a possible joint venture between St. Patrick’s Hospital and the University of Montana?

Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
Have there been discussions about a possible joint venture between St. Patrick’s Hospital and the University of Montana?

I know of nothing specific, but would assume that they would run into the same issues that Benifis, Billings Clinic, and St Vincients have had trying to get the University system on board. The financials just don't work. It has been a long road, with many failed efforts along the way, and the only reason this one is proceeding is that a private, for-profit company is willing to foot the bill.

grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:

I know of nothing specific, but would assume that they would run into the same issues that Benifis, Billings Clinic, and St Vincients have had trying to get the University system on board. The financials just don't work. It has been a long road, with many failed efforts along the way, and the only reason this one is proceeding is that a private, for-profit company is willing to foot the bill.
A medical school might slow what seems to be the unstoppable downward spiral of UM. The point of insolvency may be soon. Possibly, conversations between St. Patrick’s and UM have taken place.

Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:

there used to be a collaboration with the heart institute at st patrick's, but that was back in the late '90's.

Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:
A medical school might slow what seems to be the unstoppable downward spiral of UM. The point of insolvency may be soon. Possibly, conversations between St. Patrick’s and UM have taken place.

who is the um president again? some guy named... badbeard? no? something like that.

more seriously, the job bodnar has or hasn't done deserves some scrutiny right now. real scrutiny, including from the people who supported him initially, and predicted he would 'save' the university because of his non-academic background.

Spanky2 said:
grizindabox said:

I believe the current situation at UM makes the financials even more of a hurdle. Seems it would be a bigger burden on the budget and the payoff wouldn't justify the allocation of what funds there are currently. I would also see St Pats as comparable to the other Montana healthcare companies when it comes to possible financial involvement. I think another factor is that Missoula and Western Montana are within 3ish hours of (2) medical schools located in Spokane and associated with WWAMI.

grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:

I believe the current situation at UM makes the financials even more of a hurdle. Seems it would be a bigger burden on the budget and the payoff wouldn't justify the allocation of what funds there are currently. I would also see St Pats as comparable to the other Montana healthcare companies when it comes to possible financial involvement. I think another factor is that Missoula and Western Montana are within 3ish hours of (2) medical schools located in Spokane and associated with WWAMI.

Good points. Certainly, I didn’t consider the two medical schools in the Spokane market.

argh! said:
Spanky2 said:

who is the um president again? some guy named... badbeard? no? something like that.

more seriously, the job bodnar has or hasn't done deserves some scrutiny right now. real scrutiny, including from the people who supported him initially, and predicted he would 'save' the university because of his non-academic background.

I did and still think Bodnar is the best man for the job. I agree, however, the beard should go.

Spanky2 said:
argh! said:

I did and still think Bodnar is the best man for the job. I agree, however, the beard should go.

i am wondering what you base your support for bodnar on? my impression is that when it comes to definable enrollment and financial success goals, um has continued to fall short. i am open to intelligent rebuttal.

argh! said:
Spanky2 said:

i am wondering what you base your support for bodnar on? my impression is that when it comes to definable enrollment and financial success goals, um has continued to fall short. i am open to intelligent rebuttal.
My support is based on what he has accomplished in life. Education, military, business. I doubt if we can find anyone more qualified to turn the UM situation around. If it is possible.

grizindabox said:
SoldierGriz said:

This is an excellent answer. I have often wondered why and until I contacted people some time ago, I didn't understand. This is really a great rundown of the why. Truth is, SOME people would like a med school in MT. I am actually one of them. Other truth is that it costs a bit of cash to do it. I have seen hospital systems schools and Missoula is perfectly fine to have a med school and host rotations. I actually would have loved a UofM school of medicine. There are tax perks and funding available, plus the residency program already in place. BUT...the monetary gains are a bit down the road because of all the upfront costs. And in reality, there isn't a ton of money to be had if it is truly reinvested as it should be, into the students.
As far as the 2 schools involved here, I am a leaner of non profit, mostly because they will reinvest. For profit will also, but not until bottom lines are met. They are sugar coating it in the article.

Spanky2 said:
argh! said:
My support is based on what he has accomplished in life. Education, military, business. I doubt if we can find anyone more qualified to turn the UM situation around. If it is possible.

so nothing he has done in the years he's been president of um.

argh! said:
Spanky2 said:

so nothing he has done in the years he's been president of um.

He does push ups with the cheer squad after Griz TDs! Last year was an off year.

argh! said:
Mousegriz said:
He does push ups with the cheer squad after Griz TDs! Last year was an off year.

good point.
Are you in favor of someone the caliber of Engstrom? The medical school opportunity has probably elapsed with Billings coming on and possibly Great Falls. The two Billings hospitals have created an Aristocracy of Physicians with bloated compensation packages. It will be interesting to see how the new medical school is viewed by these Aristocrats after the school begins to produce graduates.

:lol: EGriz is so entertaining. 'Montana must have a med school.' 'The med school should be in Missoula.' Why on both counts? Ain't convinced, work on it.

Here's a start:
1) 'We're good enough, we're smart enough, and doggonit people like us.'
2) 'All the other kids(states)have one!'
3) 'I'm a UM alum, and I like Missoula.'
4) ________________________________.

3-7-77 said:
:lol: EGriz is so entertaining. 'Montana must have a med school.' 'The med school should be in Missoula.' Why on both counts? Ain't convinced, work on it.

Here's a start:

I didn't see anyone saying those things.

Just a simple inquiry with some pretty good answers and contributions...unlike yours.

But, I absolutely believe UM must transition in many ways to reverse the enrollment slide. Medical Professions are a way to do so.

SoldierGriz said:
3-7-77 said:

Here's a start:

Just a simple inquiry with some pretty good answers and contributions...unlike yours.

But, I absolutely believe UM must transition in many ways to reverse the enrollment slide. Medical Professions are a way to do so.

I was paraphrasing posters, and doing a little creative writing, no direct quotes. Simply having fun with the topic in a boring morning. Maybe stimulate other light hearted replies, "...unlike yours." Now, THAT is a direct quote. :cool:

3-7-77 said:
SoldierGriz said:

I was paraphrasing posters, no direct quotes. Simply having fun with the topic in a boring morning. Maybe stimulate other light hearted replies, "...unlike yours." Now, THAT is a direct quote. :cool:

Yes, I like UM and want the school to be successful and survive as the university. I enjoy football, basketball and the other athletic programs. I would like to see future generations benefit from attending UM as my family has benefited since the 1930’s.

Back