• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What is your waaaaay to early TOP 10

Mavman

What is your guess for FCS preseason top 10?
1. Sdsu Built to win MVFC and beat NDSU)
2. JMU ( they are JMU)
3 SHSU (great defense more balanced offense)
4 NDSU (always in the top)
5 Delaware
6.weber st
7 und (shared mvfc crown and looked very good)
8. Kennesaw ST ( season got cut short but will be a top team for many years)
9. EWU
10. MSU ( until they prove otherwise they seem to win games and beat the GRIZ) new coaches who knows but for now 10
others Davis,Montana,SIU

200.gif

Mavman said:
garizzalies said:

:lol: Just my humble opinion and I don't think it will be like this at the end of the season.
Please share yours.

I’d drop Weber below the UNDies and Kennesaw and put us behind Kennesaw. Weber and EWu did nothing to show they’re a better team then us. I know our two games weren’t enough to get us in the postseason but they definitely showed we’re better then Weber and, at the very least, on par with EWU, and that’s if their QB stays.

I think it’s a pretty impossible feat to guess the fall top 10 to start the season. Playing his spring helped so many and hurt so many. Honestly Ewu shouldn’t be ranked in the top 15 after their performances. Weber still should because of their talent and whole team ability but the top 10 might be tough as they really underperformed. UCD didn’t impress me to get into the top 15. MSU still has a grip load of talent but who knows what their lack of real playing will do and with coaching turn over and some player turn... it will be interesting to see. Either way... they should be able to ground and pound 90% of teams and easily be a top 15. Probably around #8 or so in my book. The Griz should be ranked in the top 10 as well. After two impressive games and the talent level back. It’s easy to see why this group could bring montana back to national contention. I see them right behind MSU at 9 or 10. Other than the bigsky, not sure I really know enough about each team to give a really really good guess. SDSU JMU NDSU and SHSU should be the top 4 without a question. UND was impressive so they are top 8 for sure. Delaware I think would be overrated in the top 5 but are maybe top 10. Kennesaw is probably around that 7-10 spot as well. Idk it’s kinda a mixed bag with so many teams that had so many weird situations this spring.

Bad thing is that I bet half the top 10 teams end up being mediocre come fall. Sample size from spring was just way to obscure to trust

Alright I’ll give it a stab

1. SDSU. Top to bottom this is the best team in the FCS right now. I predicted the Jacks to win the title going into the season and so far so good. They’ve got the chance to be even better in the fall and they get NDSU in Brookings so a favorable draw.

2. JMU. A known commodity that will be strong in the fall. One of their top RB’s entered the portal earlier this week, but they got enough depth that they’ll be fine.

3. Montana. I truly do believe this could be the year. The talent is there and we saw that in the 2 spring games. Favorable schedule with the better teams at home. Buckle up, it’s gonna be a fun season.

4. NDSU. Their fate rests in the hands of their VA Tech QB. If he doesn’t pan out, NDSU is in for a whirlwind of a season. He appears to be as advertised though, so I’ll give the bison the benefit of the doubt.

5. Delaware. I was very impressed by the Blue Hens and their young QB until they ran into a better team (the Jacks). I feel like they’re right there with JMU to contend for the CAA.

6. SHSU. I think they’ve overachieved this spring season and could easily take a step back this season but the talents there to prove me wrong.

7. SIU. Salukis don’t get enough love. They’ve got serious talent and great coaches and deserve more credit than they’re given. IMO will be top 3 in the Valley.

8. Jacksonville State. Known for dominating the OVC and then flopping in the playoffs every year. I expect the same to be true this year. Could get to the quarters with a favorable draw but we’ll see.

9. Montana State. Thought about ranking them higher but with a new coach and an absolutely brutal road schedule (Wyo, Weber, EWU, PSU, Griz) there will be growing pains. Tons of talent and the cats and Griz will EASILY be the top 2 teams in the Big Sky.

10. North Dakota. Another team that overachieved that I expect to come back down to earth in the fall. Second round exit sounds about right.

Weber and Eastern will both be in the playoffs but they are both WAY overrated. Other then maybe the cats, I don’t think Weber or Eastern could beat any of the teams I listed above.

"Way too early" is definitely right. Many unknowns, and the Official eGriz Poll 2021 Preseason Rankings won't even come out for another month or so. OP, I'd wait until then if you want to have an informed opinion.

tourist said:
What about the perennial pre-season favorites?

We will have to wait and see what the voters say. Very quickly, to address the myriad rumors that have been floating around: After much urging and thought, The Commissioner does indeed have plans to invite comments from voters in support of their votes (much like Mavman graced us with above). A select few of said comments will be posted anonymously as a postscript to each weekly poll, but they are not required.

As always, if anyone wants to be considered for Official eGriz Poll voter status, PM me your application and I will forward your app to El Comisionado.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Griz til I die said:

1. SDSU. Top to bottom this is the best team in the FCS right now. I predicted the Jacks to win the title going into the season and so far so good. They’ve got the chance to be even better in the fall and they get NDSU in Brookings so a favorable draw.

2. JMU. A known commodity that will be strong in the fall. One of their top RB’s entered the portal earlier this week, but they got enough depth that they’ll be fine.

3. Montana. I truly do believe this could be the year. The talent is there and we saw that in the 2 spring games. Favorable schedule with the better teams at home. Buckle up, it’s gonna be a fun season.

4. NDSU. Their fate rests in the hands of their VA Tech QB. If he doesn’t pan out, NDSU is in for a whirlwind of a season. He appears to be as advertised though, so I’ll give the bison the benefit of the doubt.

5. Delaware. I was very impressed by the Blue Hens and their young QB until they ran into a better team (the Jacks). I feel like they’re right there with JMU to contend for the CAA.

6. SHSU. I think they’ve overachieved this spring season and could easily take a step back this season but the talents there to prove me wrong.

7. SIU. Salukis don’t get enough love. They’ve got serious talent and great coaches and deserve more credit than they’re given. IMO will be top 3 in the Valley.

8. Jacksonville State. Known for dominating the OVC and then flopping in the playoffs every year. I expect the same to be true this year. Could get to the quarters with a favorable draw but we’ll see.

9. Montana State. Thought about ranking them higher but with a new coach and an absolutely brutal road schedule (Wyo, Weber, EWU, PSU, Griz) there will be growing pains. Tons of talent and the cats and Griz will EASILY be the top 2 teams in the Big Sky.

10. North Dakota. Another team that overachieved that I expect to come back down to earth in the fall. Second round exit sounds about right.

Weber and Eastern will both be in the playoffs but they are both WAY overrated. Other then maybe the cats, I don’t think Weber or Eastern could beat any of the teams I listed above.

Yes.

Griz til I die said:

I think we are a top 3 team but I also think NDSU will be back up on top of the polls 5 games in. SDSU has a tough first game but then pretty easy for a while and most of their tough games are at home. Going to be fun watching the Griz climb up the ladder in the polls.

New to this platform, but after attending both spring games, there is no reason this Griz team cannot be a top 3 team from the start this fall. I haven't seen this level of physicality in more years than I can remember. They are smart, disciplined, physical, and frankly they play pissed off every play.

I am sure I will get a lot of push-back here, but no one is mentioning the young and very talented SoCon champions the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) team. Head Coach Wachenheim received the FCS Eddie Robinson Award this week. Three Keydet players were also named as national award finalists, and all three will be back this fall. The QB is a true freshman and I believe nearly the entire starting team will be back as well. In the first round of playoffs they held JMU to a 7 point win. Possibly a top 10 team, but if not definitely a top 15 team in the FCS this fall.

406 Grizzly said:
New to this platform, but after attending both spring games, there is no reason this Griz team cannot be a top 3 team from the start this fall. I haven't seen this level of physicality in more years than I can remember. They are smart, disciplined, physical, and frankly they play pissed off every play.

I am sure I will get a lot of push-back here, but no one is mentioning the young and very talented SoCon champions the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) team. Head Coach Wachenheim received the FCS Eddie Robinson Award this week. Three Keydet players were also named as national award finalists, and all three will be back this fall. The QB is a true freshman and I believe nearly the entire starting team will be back as well. In the first round of playoffs they held JMU to a 7 point win. Possibly a top 10 team, but if not definitely a top 15 team in the FCS this fall.
I would agree with you that VMI is good, but they’re not there yet. They got a ways to go before they’re elite. Maybe in a couple years.

tourist said:
Some very impressive QBs in the playoffs. How does Cam Humphrey stack up to this level?

The winning QB completed 54% of his passes for 5.6 yards per attempt.
The losing QB completed 50% for 4.8 yards per attempt and a pick.

Neither QB could start at Bozeman and they don't even utilize a QB in their offence.

Humphrey would have torn them both to shreds.

The starting quarterback for SDSU might not be back for the fall season, he injured a leg in the 1st series of the game.
If it's as bad as their coach thinks it is it would be a big blow to them, as he was the conference player of the year.

Griz fans are getting as bad as Cat fans. Really, the Griz beat a DII team and a bottom of FCS team in PSU. The fact of the matter is that the Griz haven't been elite in over a decade. They haven't beat the Cats in 4 or 5 trys. They've beat Eastern once in ten years? And Weber has handled them recently. It's gonna take more that some Bobby bravado to get over the hump. Until it happens I don't see how you can put them in the top 10.

SaskGriz said:
tourist said:
Some very impressive QBs in the playoffs. How does Cam Humphrey stack up to this level?

The winning QB completed 54% of his passes for 5.6 yards per attempt.
The losing QB completed 50% for 4.8 yards per attempt and a pick.

Neither QB could start at Bozeman and they don't even utilize a QB in their offence.

Humphrey would have torn them both to shreds.
Both starting QBs are excellent when healthy; neither was after the first quarter. The downpour the first half had a lot to do with the depressed stats. That they would not start at Bozeman is preposterous, particularly since both can run. Maybe on Humphrey, remains to be seen. SHSU had one excellent receiver; Montana has several.

Back