• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Public Colleges and Universities in Crisis

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Argh!, I know you’re out of the game, and (rightly) don’t give a shit, but is there something against having faculty pick up administrative roles for increased pay instead of hiring a shit ton of administrators? Maybe decrease research expectations for those who take on administrative duties as well as instruction? Idk. Apologies if it’s an extremely uninformed question.

Narrator Voice: It was an extremely uninformed question.
If you want the fox in the chicken coup.
"coup", I see what you did there...wait, are the chickens the government or is that the fox? not sure your analogy works. it's tricky...

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
kemajic said:
If you want the fox in the chicken coup.
"coup", I see what you did there...wait, are the chickens the government or is that the fox? not sure your analogy works. it's tricky...
Pretty simple; there needs to be some checks and balances between the Admin and the Faculty.

CDAGRIZ said:
argh! said:
every university i worked at or have multiple friends at has increased their number of administrators more than faculty, and the administrators of course get paid a lot more. the last place i was at had 30 faculty members, a dean and an associate dean, and two departments and two department chairs. now they have 14 faculty members, 5 departments, and 11 administrators. the class that just graduated, which is the first to graduate without having me teaching pharmacology, one of the most important classes they take, didn't do so well on licensing exams. the class before was at least in the upper half of pharmacy schools in terms of pass rates. the class after, who were there when a lot of the new administrators were added, had the second or third worst pass rate in the country, out of 150 or so schools. given that many of those schools are probably also adding administrators instead of faculty, i'm guessing that the quality of pharmacists out there is going down a lot.

Argh!, I know you’re out of the game, and (rightly) don’t give a shit, but is there something against having faculty pick up administrative roles for increased pay instead of hiring a shit ton of administrators? Maybe decrease research expectations for those who take on administrative duties as well as instruction? Idk. Apologies if it’s an extremely uninformed question.

in my experience, when faculty are appointed to administrative roles, they turn them into full time jobs, even if they don't need to be, then they start lobbying (aka sucking up) for higher administrative roles, until you get... engstrom.

argh! said:
CDAGRIZ said:

in my experience, when faculty are appointed to administrative roles, they turn them into full time jobs, even if they don't need to be, then they start lobbying (aka sucking up) for higher administrative roles, until you get... engstrom.

Got it. Makes sense.

Back