• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Financial Impact of no football in Missoula? No Fans in stands?

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:
The trickle was that, pre-Covid, unemployment was the lowest in many decades, wages were up, employment for blacks and Hispanics was way up, wages for blacks and I think for Hispanics were way up and had increased at higher rate for those at the low end, and the middle class was making a comeback. None of which had occurred under Obama.

Some of you need to do some research and thinking, and produce views and ideas bigger than a talking point.

And yet look at that graph. Those 2 bottom lines look pretty flat.

The graph ends in 2010. Obama was president then. I'm talking about mostly Trump years.

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
PlayerRep said:
The trickle was that, pre-Covid, unemployment was the lowest in many decades, wages were up, employment for blacks and Hispanics was way up, wages for blacks and I think for Hispanics were way up and had increased at higher rate for those at the low end, and the middle class was making a comeback. None of which had occurred under Obama.

Some of you need to do some research and thinking, and produce views and ideas bigger than a talking point.

good grief, all of those trends began under Obama's administration: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-45827430 outside the durability of the stock market, how are those numbers looking lately?

Even this fake news article supports what I said. "Trends" under Obama didn't go up very far. They also went up because they started from the bad economy that Obama inherited after the 2008 financial crisis. Of course, things went up from there. It is absolutely true that Obama's recovery abnd growth was one of the worst in modern US history, the weakest and slowest since the Great Depression..

"The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) projected gross domestic product (GDP) growth to slow to 2.2 percent in 2018 and 1.7 percent in 2019, with the jobless rate lingering between 4.5 and 4.8 percent in that time. Instead, GDP rose to 2.9 percent in 2018 before falling to 2.4 percent in 2019 as the unemployment rate reached a 50-year low of 3.5 percent last year."

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/483851-trump-seeks-to-distance-strong-economy-from-obama-policies-in-white-house

A Bloomberg article: "Trump’s Economy Is Working for Minorities"

"the economy is no doubt helping. As the president is fond of pointing out, unemployment rates among African Americans, Hispanics and Asians are all at historic lows"

Just as important, the unemployment gaps between both blacks and whites as well as Hispanics and whites have reached all-time lows. It’s not just that the job market has been good: For minorities, it has been historically good.

Over the past 12 months, wage gains for nonwhites have been not only substantially higher than those of whites, but also higher than economists’ estimates of inflation plus productivity. That implies that minority workers are getting a greater share of GDP.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-11-06/trump-s-economy-is-historically-good-for-minorities

Unemployment, pre-covid:

"The household survey finds that the unemployment rate fell to 3.5 percent in September, marking the 19th consecutive month at or below 4 percent unemployment. The unemployment rate is the lowest it has been since May 1969—over 50 years ago. All Americans are benefiting from the labor market’s continued improvement. The lowest unemployment rates on record were matched or set in September 2019 for African Americans, Hispanics, and people with disabilities.

Additionally, the unemployment rate for people without a high school diploma fell to 4.8 percent, the lowest rate since the series began in 1992 and much lower than the 7.8 percent rate in November 2016 (figure 1). Since President Trump’s election, the unemployment rate for those without a high school degree has fallen at a faster rate than the unemployment rate for those with a bachelor’s degree or higher. The decrease has narrowed the gap between the unemployment rate for non-high school graduates and the unemployment rate for college graduates to 2.8 percentage points, matching the lowest gap ever seen in the series.

In the third quarter of 2019, 73.7 percent of workers entering employment came from out of the labor force rather than from unemployment, the highest share since the series began in 1990.

As further evidence of the labor market’s strength, data released this week from the Department of Labor show initial Unemployment Insurance claims have remained at or below 300,000 for 239 consecutive weeks. That is the longest such streak since at least 1967, despite the labor force more than doubling in size since then. Additionally, for the 17th straight month, the number of unemployed people has been lower than the number of open jobs."

"Contrary to what the media reports, middle class Americans are surging"

By nearly every measure today, we are living in a magnificent time for the American economy. There is a booming stock market fueling trillions of dollars of wealth gains, record low unemployment, 3 percent to 5 percent wage gains, and seven million unfilled jobs. So the recent headline for a CBS report seemed to strain all credulity when it declared, “Two years after Trump tax cuts, middle class Americans are falling behind.” Huh?

This might be the most dishonest news story headline of recent times. As the author of columns that ran a few weeks ago in the Wall Street Journal and on these pages which clearly documented that the median household income, meaning the middle class, has gained about $5,000 of income in just three years, I knew this headline was fatuous. The undeniable success story of the American economy is the surge in middle class incomes since President Trump took office and his tax cuts took effect, with middle class incomes increasing at least five times faster than under President Obama."

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/476959-contrary-to-what-the-media-reports-middle-class-americans-are-surging

S&P and Nasdaq - now, not pre-covid:

The S&P 500, as of now, is up over 50% since Trump was elected.

The Nasdaq is setting record after record.

Bjorn Bjornstein said:
PlayerRep said:

good grief, all of those trends began under Obama's administration: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-45827430 outside the durability of the stock market, how are those numbers looking lately?

Even this fake news article supports what I said. "Trends" under Obama didn't go up very far. They also went up because they started from the bad economy that Obama inherited after the 2008 financial crisis. Of course, things went up from there. It is absolutely true that Obama's recovery abnd growth was one of the worst in modern US history, the weakest and slowest since the Great Depression..

"The Congressional Budget Office (CBO) projected gross domestic product (GDP) growth to slow to 2.2 percent in 2018 and 1.7 percent in 2019, with the jobless rate lingering between 4.5 and 4.8 percent in that time. Instead, GDP rose to 2.9 percent in 2018 before falling to 2.4 percent in 2019 as the unemployment rate reached a 50-year low of 3.5 percent last year."

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/483851-trump-seeks-to-distance-strong-economy-from-obama-policies-in-white-house

A Bloomberg article: "Trump’s Economy Is Working for Minorities"

"the economy is no doubt helping. As the president is fond of pointing out, unemployment rates among African Americans, Hispanics and Asians are all at historic lows"

Just as important, the unemployment gaps between both blacks and whites as well as Hispanics and whites have reached all-time lows. It’s not just that the job market has been good: For minorities, it has been historically good.

Over the past 12 months, wage gains for nonwhites have been not only substantially higher than those of whites, but also higher than economists’ estimates of inflation plus productivity. That implies that minority workers are getting a greater share of GDP.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2019-11-06/trump-s-economy-is-historically-good-for-minorities

Unemployment, pre-covid:

"The household survey finds that the unemployment rate fell to 3.5 percent in September, marking the 19th consecutive month at or below 4 percent unemployment. The unemployment rate is the lowest it has been since May 1969—over 50 years ago. All Americans are benefiting from the labor market’s continued improvement. The lowest unemployment rates on record were matched or set in September 2019 for African Americans, Hispanics, and people with disabilities.

Additionally, the unemployment rate for people without a high school diploma fell to 4.8 percent, the lowest rate since the series began in 1992 and much lower than the 7.8 percent rate in November 2016 (figure 1). Since President Trump’s election, the unemployment rate for those without a high school degree has fallen at a faster rate than the unemployment rate for those with a bachelor’s degree or higher. The decrease has narrowed the gap between the unemployment rate for non-high school graduates and the unemployment rate for college graduates to 2.8 percentage points, matching the lowest gap ever seen in the series.

In the third quarter of 2019, 73.7 percent of workers entering employment came from out of the labor force rather than from unemployment, the highest share since the series began in 1990.

As further evidence of the labor market’s strength, data released this week from the Department of Labor show initial Unemployment Insurance claims have remained at or below 300,000 for 239 consecutive weeks. That is the longest such streak since at least 1967, despite the labor force more than doubling in size since then. Additionally, for the 17th straight month, the number of unemployed people has been lower than the number of open jobs."

"Contrary to what the media reports, middle class Americans are surging"

By nearly every measure today, we are living in a magnificent time for the American economy. There is a booming stock market fueling trillions of dollars of wealth gains, record low unemployment, 3 percent to 5 percent wage gains, and seven million unfilled jobs. So the recent headline for a CBS report seemed to strain all credulity when it declared, “Two years after Trump tax cuts, middle class Americans are falling behind.” Huh?

This might be the most dishonest news story headline of recent times. As the author of columns that ran a few weeks ago in the Wall Street Journal and on these pages which clearly documented that the median household income, meaning the middle class, has gained about $5,000 of income in just three years, I knew this headline was fatuous. The undeniable success story of the American economy is the surge in middle class incomes since President Trump took office and his tax cuts took effect, with middle class incomes increasing at least five times faster than under President Obama."

https://thehill.com/opinion/finance/476959-contrary-to-what-the-media-reports-middle-class-americans-are-surging

S&P and Nasdaq - now, not pre-covid:

The S&P 500, as of now, is up over 50% since Trump was elected.

The Nasdaq is setting record after record.

Wait till the vaccines arrive.

mcg said:
Post 2010 the economy was hamstrung by the radical tea=party congress.
Only spending was hamstrung by the tea party congress. With nowhere near a majority.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

And yet look at that graph. Those 2 bottom lines look pretty flat.

A rising tide lifts all boats. As long as your boat is a yacht.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2017/01/17/inside-the-obama-stock-markets-235-rise/#6d0bc05416d1

Radical leftist publication Forbes (fake news) reports that, during the Obama presidency, the S&P 500 rose 235%, or 16.4% annually. I’d like another helping of that “carnage,” please.

AllWeatherFan said:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2017/01/17/inside-the-obama-stock-markets-235-rise/#6d0bc05416d1

Radical leftist publication Forbes (fake news) reports that, during the Obama presidency, the S&P 500 rose 235%, or 16.4% annually. I’d like another helping of that “carnage,” please.

For the dems who are economically challenged, and only read fake news (what the Forbes writer wrote technically correct, but it was basically a lie), here are the facts on the S&P 500:

As you will see, much of the Obama gain came because of the recent big drop from the 2007/2008 financial crisis, and a bit from increase after Trump was elected.

Bush and his Sec of Treasury had already take huge steps to fight off the financial crisis and its problems and Obama inherited a situation that was already turning around. Obama and his people largely had to keep doing what Bush and his people had already done and started.

The S&P was about 1558 in early October 2017 when the market started crashing due to the big crisis and recession. It had dropped almost half to 805 when Obama was inaugurated in January 2008. That was almost the bottom of the market.

When Obama was elected the S&P was about 2180. When Obama went out of office in January 2009, it was 2274. Thus, it had already gone up about 95, or 4.5%, after Trump was elected.

My view is that the market was, of course, going to come back in 8 years under any president. Thus, my view is that Obama is given credit in this article for recovering about 750 that was merely what had been lost when the market crashed due the financial crisis that began in 2007. Also, 95 under Trump.

Accordingly, I would say the S&P really only went from from 1550 to 2180, or 41%. So, 5% per year.

You can give credit to Obama for more of the increase, but I don't, nor do most people who follow and understand the stock market.

PlayerRep said:
p8nted said:
Pretty much

Nope, you are wrong. Prove your statement, or SFU.

John Boehner on President Obama's agenda “We're going to do everything — and I mean everything we can do — to kill it, stop it, slow it down, whatever we can.”

You'll recall Boehner resigned because he found the tea part extremists simply too radical, and they found him to be too interested in governing.

If they do have football without the fans I hope they don’t pipe in fake crowd noise like MLB is doing. It’s terrible, so fake and now you realize the tv crowd noise was always fake.

Terrible decision to pull back the curtain and admit the crowd noise was always fake. There is probably a fake sound guy union that was holding up restarting baseball unless their demands were met. Undoubtedly the same people who do the kiss cam.

Edit: saw this in the Chicago Tribune. I 100% would rather hear the players chirp at each other and the umpires than listen to fake crowd noise:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cubs/ct-chicago-cubs-milwaukee-brewers-fake-noise-chirping-20200727-3hx5cccmrbcwvkfzoc3nxwzyma-story.html#nt=related-content&rt=chartbeat-flt

Fake crowd noise is elevator music for tv sports. Enough!

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
We went to the same college. I know about about him. He’s just a flaming liberal who doesn’t understand business, economics, and job creation. Like Krupman, he allows his politics to overwhelm his economics. Reich was already a big deal in college. He has done very well for himself (and was a Rhodes scholar), especially for someone with Fairbanks disease which resulted in him being only 4’11”. I see that Krugman is 5’7”. What’s with these short flaming liberals.
Makes you wonder how tall Badlands and Dutch are.

Only 6ft. So probably not as tall as you and PR constantly standing on your soap boxes.

PlayerRep said:
AllWeatherFan said:

For the dems who are economically challenged, and only read fake news (what the Forbes writer wrote technically correct, but it was basically a lie), here are the facts on the S&P 500:

As you will see, much of the Obama gain came because of the recent big drop from the 2007/2008 financial crisis, and a bit from increase after Trump was elected.

Bush and his Sec of Treasury had already take huge steps to fight off the financial crisis and its problems and Obama inherited a situation that was already turning around. Obama and his people largely had to keep doing what Bush and his people had already done and started.

The S&P was about 1558 in early October 2017 when the market started crashing due to the big crisis and recession. It had dropped almost half to 805 when Obama was inaugurated in January 2008. That was almost the bottom of the market.

When Obama was elected the S&P was about 2180. When Obama went out of office in January 2009, it was 2274. Thus, it had already gone up about 95, or 4.5%, after Trump was elected.

My view is that the market was, of course, going to come back in 8 years under any president. Thus, my view is that Obama is given credit in this article for recovering about 750 that was merely what had been lost when the market crashed due the financial crisis that began in 2007. Also, 95 under Trump.

Accordingly, I would say the S&P really only went from from 1550 to 2180, or 41%. So, 5% per year.

You can give credit to Obama for more of the increase, but I don't, nor do most people who follow and understand the stock market.

Yeah. Stock market is a good indicator of the real economy. You know we’re in record numbers of unemployment and job loss but HELL. StOCk MarKeT lOoKs GoOd

Playa drank the koolaid long ago

PlayerRep said:
mcg said:

Not true. It was hamstrung by Obama and Dems who don't know how to run an economy.

Au Contraire, PR! To 'fundamentally change' this country, they first had to destroy what was already there. They tried a 'Thelma and Louise' with the economy, trying their best, but failed. Ten years later, they don't even try to lie about who and what they really are.
Missoula will suffer economically with no football this fall. Remember when Brooks Ave. was redone? I know of a business owner on Brooks who didn't have people coming thru his doors. Said he almost went under.

p8nted said:
mcg said:

Pretty much
Thank God, or the debt acquired during the Obama years would have been even worse. Doubling it was never enough for the dems.

Back