• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz have been pursuing and will be offering a form of Cost of Attendance

HookedonGriz

DONOR
According to Haslam in the latest “Inside the Den” podcast, the UofM has been talking about COA for years now and will definitely be pursuing a private funded COA for its student athletes in this next academic year.

They can’t come out of the gates and do the $3400-3800 per scholarship athlete as there are 175 scholarship athletes but they will be doing some phase or form of it. It also sounds like Board of Regents will govern it for both MSU and UM on some level. This will be great for our athletes

https://gogriz.com/sports/2019/8/28/inside-the-den-podcast.aspx

:clap: Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Haslam also say in there somewhere that the BOR is considering publicly funding it as well? Or did I just misinterpret that?

I doubt the Board of Regents would govern it. They won't be providing any state funds for this. No way in hell they would allocate additional dollars for this.

Any COA spending will need to come from private donors. Cats or Griz will need to generate the money on their own and consequently will spend it as each sees fit.

Thx for link. I will listen later. I assumed the Regents would have to approve and would likely keep even for both schools. While I have no special knowledge on the subject, I would think the system and Regents would be careful about approving a plan for the schools to spend more money by giving more money to athletes. Some legislators and the public might ask why, especially in a time of tight educational money in general, and the UM budget issues. Even if all raised from private sources, it might get bad press and get misunderstood or mischaracterized, I would think. Why are the schools giving more money to athletes, when money for higher education is limited, and tight, especially at UM? Also, I would ask if raising more private money for COA would decrease private funding for other things in the athletic budges or schools.

I saw that NDSU originally estimated about $700,000 per year in 2015. That's a lot of money.

I have always been told that bigger donors prefer one-time donations and donations for things other than annual operating budgets.

While I realize that COA would be helpful for UM athletics, I just wonder how it would look for UM to be giving more money to athletics and athletes at a time when UM general fund and academics are sucking wind, having budget issues, cutting professors and academic programs, etc.

bgbigdog said:
Wouldn’t just about any positive step in this direction be a good thing?

In my opinion, yes. To keep up with Bison, SDSU, JMU or to try and get to that level then it’s a must.

PlayerRep said:
Thx for link. I will listen later. I assumed the Regents would have to approve and would likely keep even for both schools. While I have no special knowledge on the subject, I would think the system and Regents would be careful about approving a plan for the schools to spend more money by giving more money to athletes. Some legislators and the public might ask why, especially in a time of tight educational money in general, and the UM budget issues. Even if all raised from private sources, it might get bad press and get misunderstood or mischaracterized, I would think. Why are the schools giving more money to athletes, when money for higher education is limited, and tight, especially at UM? Also, I would ask if raising more private money for COA would decrease private funding for other things in the athletic budges or schools.

I saw that NDSU originally estimated about $700,000 per year in 2015. That's a lot of money.

I have always been told that bigger donors prefer one-time donations and donations for things other than annual operating budgets.

While I realize that COA would be helpful for UM athletics, I just wonder how it would look for UM to be giving more money to athletics and athletes at a time when UM general fund and academics are sucking wind, having budget issues, cutting professors and academic programs, etc.

It seems like UM athletic dept could at least argue that it has been one area of the school that has actually been holding up its end of excellence in the collegiate world. Athletic dept hasnt struggled to raise funds and build new facilities, or retain coaches. The academic side on the other hand, not so much. Dont the two sides essentially act as two separate entities financially anyhow?

hilinegrizfan said:
reinell30 said:
Well there you have it...sell beer inside stadium and all profits go to COA?

we'd have those kids COA taken care of for the year before half time!

:party:

And the athletes can be the people selling the beer! Self help project if you will?

Isnt it kinda sad-funny to think about also how cost of attending college has never been higher, weve never had so many kids attending soo many schools, we've never had so much debt going into going to a school of higher education.....yet

All we hear about is the debts, and lack of funding all these schools are having issues with.

Makes you wonder......WHERE THE FFFFFFFFF IS ALL THE MONEY GOING??????

HookedonGriz said:
bgbigdog said:

In my opinion, yes. To keep up with Bison, SDSU, JMU or to try and get to that level then it’s a must.

It would clearly help athletics.

What's the argument for how it would help UM overall, UM academically, UM budget issues, UM faculty, etc? When the universities and UM goes to the legislature for funds, doesn't COA get thrown back in their face by some legislators and some of the media? I don't know. Just asking.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Isnt it kinda sad-funny to think about also how cost of attending college has never been higher, weve never had so many kids attending soo many schools, we've never had so much debt going into going to a school of higher education.....yet

All we hear about is the debts, and lack of funding all these schools are having issues with.

I believe the pensions of past teachers is eating up many budgets as it is doing in many companies. Retirements are nice, but they are expensive and most budgets really are under funded thru the years.

Start listening at the 9 minute mark if you just want to hear about COA. At one point he states that athletic scholarships didn’t pay as much as other scholarships, due to the NCAA rules that were changed to allow COA, assuming he’s talking about academic scholarships...
Curious to see how much this will end up being for football.

reinell30 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

I believe the pensions of past teachers is eating up many budgets as it is doing in many companies. Retirements are nice, but they are expensive and most budgets really are under funded thru the years.

There was also significant cost related to the buyouts for professors and staff.

PlayerRep said:
reinell30 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

There was also significant cost related to the buyouts for professors and staff.

I'll keep saying it, sell beer!

College attendance has gone down for 8 straights years. Not as much for 4-year schools.

"College enrollment in the U.S. has decreased for the eighth consecutive year, according to new data released Thursday by the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center. The report covers 97 percent of enrollments at degree-granting postsecondary institutions that are eligible to receive federal financial aid.

The overall decline this spring compared to last year was 1.7 percent, or roughly 300,000 students, the center found. Last year's decrease was slightly larger, at 1.8 percent.

Community colleges continued their enrollment slide with a decline of 3.4 percent. Four-year public institutions saw a drop of 0.9 percent, the center found. Four-year private institutions bucked the trend with an increase of 3.2 percent. However, the center said most of this increase was due to the conversion of large for-profit institutions to nonprofit status. Grand Canyon University, for example, successfully made the transition last year."

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2019/05/30/college-enrollment-declines-continue

Start listening at the 9 minute mark if you just want to hear about COA. At one point he states that athletic scholarships didn’t pay as much as other scholarships, due to the NCAA rules that were changed to allow COA, assuming he’s talking about academic scholarships...
Curious to see how much this will end up being for football.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
bgbigdog said:

It would clearly help athletics.

What's the argument for how it would help UM overall, UM academically, UM budget issues, UM faculty, etc? When the universities and UM goes to the legislature for funds, doesn't COA get thrown back in their face by some legislators and some of the media? I don't know. Just asking.

I hear ya for sure. It’s going to trigger and upset a lot of people who are seeing UM cut staff and programs. But people flipped out over the same when they found out the $ that went info the champions center, even though it was privately funded. If UM can make it happen with private funding then i day more power to them.

I googled it already, but can anyone confirm that this is for full scholarship athletes only? I mean, it only makes sense that that would be the case, but I didn’t see that exact sentence. I also didn’t know we had 175 full scholarship athletes.

Back