• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Carson Rostad a Griz

Copper Griz said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Good get? Great get? Time will tell.

True statement for any recruit, but I like what I see from the Griz staff when it comes to recruiting. They are winning the battle of in state and they will turn the program and culture back around. Taking longer than one would like, but they will get it done. What a great addition.

This cant be true.....

I recently attended a fun and flirty over night event sanctioned by the MSU athletic department. During my night out on the town I learned a few things:

1.Its ok to drink copious amounts of alcohol as long as we have one of our "safe zone buddies" (aka Bobcat coaches) following us around and taking us back to our rooms safely.

2. The Ramada Inn off I90 isnt a great place to wake up and not remember much. Tho a few things I do remember from the "camp" have to do with heads up form tackling and something about Choate and a french tickler.

3. MSU is always winning the state when it comes to recruiting.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Copper Griz said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Good get? Great get? Time will tell.

True statement for any recruit, but I like what I see from the Griz staff when it comes to recruiting. They are winning the battle of in state and they will turn the program and culture back around. Taking longer than one would like, but they will get it done. What a great addition.

This cant be true.....

I recently attended a fun and flirty over night event sanctioned by the MSU athletic department. During my night out on the town I learned a few things:

1.Its ok to drink copious amounts of alcohol as long as we have one of our "safe zone buddies" (aka Bobcat coaches) following us around and taking us back to our rooms safely.

2. The Ramada Inn off I90 isnt a great place to wake up and not remember much. Tho a few things I do remember from the "camp" have to do with heads up form tackling and something about Choate and a french tickler.

3. MSU is always winning the state when it comes to recruiting.
I agree with all of this. Hopefully you had a good time.

Not to be THAT guy....but what do we think this will change how Graves is used? I know a lot of people on here think that Graves would be best suited on defense as either a safety or LB. If Rostad turns out to be as good as we hope, it would make sense that Graves moves to defense....or WR....Right?

MTGRZ said:
Not to be THAT guy....but what do we think this will change how Graves is used? I know a lot of people on here think that Graves would be best suited on defense as either a safety or LB. If Rostad turns out to be as good as we hope, it would make sense that Graves moves to defense....or WR....Right?

Potentially could be moved to Defense probably as a LB or if on offense he’s probably a RB but for right now he’s getting his shot at QB and if he makes strides in the Fall then he will stay and be in the competition to replace Sneed. They will likely have a package for him this year too that should be interesting. He’s got the running part down and has some arm strength but just needs to work on accuracy and reading a defense.

dayday said:
MTGRZ said:

Potentially could be moved to Defense probably as a LB or if on offense he’s probably a RB but for right now he’s getting his shot at QB and if he makes strides in the Fall then he will stay and be in the competition to replace Sneed. They will likely have a package for him this year too that should be interesting. He’s got the running part down and has some arm strength but just needs to work on accuracy and reading a defense.

That all sounds very reasonable, I'm just thinking if Rostad gets to UM, and IF he is as good as advertised, it might be in the best interest of Graves to look at LB or RB now. From what I read it sounds like he has a long way to go still, even after one year in the system. Not trying to knock him, but maybe his best position with a quality QB coming in is elsewhere.

MTGRZ said:

By the time Rostad is a rs-freshman, Graves will be a rs-junior. It’ll probably be set by then.

Our take on Rostad's commitment as well as a look at in-state recruiting thus far:

https://tootellandnuanez.podbean.com/e/tootell-and-nuanez-june-24-2019-hour-1-rostad-commits-to-griz-cat-griz-recruiting-battle-track-gatorade-player-of-the-year/

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Our take on Rostad's commitment as well as a look at in-state recruiting thus far:

https://tootellandnuanez.podbean.com/e/tootell-and-nuanez-june-24-2019-hour-1-rostad-commits-to-griz-cat-griz-recruiting-battle-track-gatorade-player-of-the-year/

My honest take to that listen is that it was rather critical of the young man and seemed to really discount his QB ability. I don’t think it was your intention but came off that way. This is a big time recruiting win. He’s done well at other camps against good competition and has been rated as high as the 4th best prospect in the northwest by people that monitor this. Not sure that is completely accurate but he’s definitely an FBS talent in my opinion.

MISSOULA — Carson Rostad didn’t have to look too far away to find his home for the future.

The Hamilton quarterback has been a Montana football fan as long as he can remember. He attended home games with his family starting at 7 years old, making the 60-minute trek down the Bitterroot Valley on Saturdays and sitting in the stands on the 50-yard line before moving into box seats.

Now preparing for his senior year, Rostad vaguely recalls the latter part of the Bobby Hauck era that ended in 2009. He more so remembers watching Jordan Tripp, his cousin on his mom’s side, star at Washington-Grizzly Stadium in the years afterward.

So when Montana offered Rostad a scholarship, it was going to take something extraordinary to keep him away. He liked what he heard and saw, and he started the process of making his second home his new home when he became Montana’s first commit in the Class of 2020 on Friday night.

“It feels really good,” said Rostad, the first Hamilton player to join the Griz since Ryan Wells from 2002-06. “You feel like you have a home for the next four years. I’ve always been a Griz fan. My family has season tickets for as long as I could remember. I’ve really gotten to like the stadium and the town of Missoula. I loved the coaches. So, it just felt right.”

Rostad will come to Montana as a highly touted recruit who will be a four-year starter for Class A Hamilton. He was named the Montana Gatorade Football Player of the Year as a junior, becoming the first non-AA player to win it since 2007 and the first non-senior to win since 2014.

At 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds, Rostad has shown the ability to be a dual-threat quarterback while playing for Hamilton coach Bryce Carver. He threw for 5,873 yards over the past two seasons, according to MaxPreps.com, and showed his mobility by rushing for 901 yards in largely designed runs and some scrambles.

In piling up those stats and providing the requisite leadership, Rostad helped guide Hamilton to a pair of state runner-up finishes the past two seasons.

“I think he’s going to fit in good at Montana just because he’s very coachable,” said Carver, a former Griz wide receiver from 2009-12. “He has a competitive nature, and he’s going to be very loyal to that program. He just wants to compete and go out and do anything he can to help the team win. The past three years, you see it in his ability to be a leader on the team and to hate losing and to compete to win.”

Rostad showcased his decision making as a passer by tossing 82 touchdowns the past two years while getting picked off just 13 times. This season, he’ll be working on improving his arm strength and his accuracy, which was 61.4% percent over the past two seasons.

Rostad put up those numbers that while playing in Carver’s offensive system, which is similar to what Hauck runs at Montana, another selling point for him. So when Rostad was sitting in the stands watching Griz games, he was a player-in-training as much as a fan, recognizing how a play unfolded and how to respond while also noting how the college players are quicker and schemes are more complex than high school.

“I love how they’re fast paced and want to score as much as they possibly can, because scoring is the best thing,” Rostad said.

Carver didn’t want to compare Rostad and his potential to former Griz quarterbacks but talked himself into Cole Bergquist and Andrew Selle.

“They’re big guys that can throw the ball and can scramble and get some yards, too,” Carver said. “He’s got the speed and can continue to work to get better and faster.”

Rostad, who boasts a 4.0 grade-point average, will come to Montana on a full-ride scholarship. He chose the Griz over an offer from Montana State.

Montana offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Timm Rosenbach was the first to reach out to Rostad. Recruiting coordinator Justin Green later joined in, and Hauck eventually spoke with Rostad before the Griz offered him in November.

“Once they hired Hauck back, I’ve always thought he’s an amazing coach,” Rostad said. “Getting to know Rosenbach and all them, that just made it a really easy decision to say yes.”

“They’re just really easy to talk to. I got a lot of joy talking to them. They’re smart. They made me definitely feel wanted and make you feel like you’re going to win with them.”

Rostad had offers to attend summer camps with Pac-12 teams Stanford and Oregon State, but he passed on them as well as some invites from other FCS schools.

He can sign as early as December and sounded locked in with the Griz.

“I’m pretty set on them,” Rostad said. “I don’t see anything really changing my mind.”

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/there-s-no-place-like-home-hamilton-qb-carson-rostad/article_92b9b8ba-2406-5da8-b7c6-7eace3c98d11.html

Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Colter: “I’d take the young Griz players from MT over the young Cats players from MT right now”.....Cue all cats fans losing their minds and claiming Colter is a Griz homer again in 3..2..1..

HookedonGriz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Colter: “I’d take the young Griz players from MT over the young Cats players from MT right now”.....Cue all cats fans losing their minds and claiming Colter is a Griz homer again in 3..2..1..

That Sulser class was really big for Bobby's second stint at UM. A great base to start with for in-state talent.

VimSince03 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

That Sulser class was really big for Bobby second stint at UM. A great base to start with for in-state talent.

He rattled off a number of young Griz from MT who are all starting or seeing the field a lot and making impact. It even surprised me when you hear it out loud:

- both Deming twins
- Sulser
- Jace Lewis
- Rensvold
- Hauck
- Welnel
- McGinnis
- Nagler
- Hauck
- Keintz
- Roberts

Ready to break out:

- turner
- janacarro
- Graves

dayday said:
My honest take to that listen is that it was rather critical of the young man and seemed to really discount his QB ability.

Guess I didn't hear the same things that you did.

Carson came by the studio following the Mornhinweg QB School today. We will air that interview around 5 p.m. on ESPN Missoula 102.9 FM and on SWX Television statewide so tune in.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Colter, when listing all the good QB’s to come out of Montana how can you not name Andrew Selle? You also said Cole Berquist led the Griz to two national title games. Andrew Selle led the Griz to the title game on 2009. Perfect comparison to Rostad too as far as an in-state QB that could not play any other position but QB.

Loved this segment though, thank you

Just golfed with a guy from Hamilton. He told me, Rostad is a terrific leader and can make all the passes. He's got FBS interested in him as well.

WaGriz4life said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Colter, when listing all the good QB’s to come out of Montana how can you not name Andrew Selle? You also said Cole Berquist led the Griz to two national title games. Andrew Selle led the Griz to the title game on 2009. Perfect comparison to Rostad too as far as an in-state QB that could not play any other position but QB.

Loved this segment though, thank you

wagriz4life.....agree on Selle, he could actually spin it with about any qb we have ever had, in particular the longer ball...cerebral and a heck of a leader....down side was his mobility.

mtgrizrule said:
Just golfed with a guy from Hamilton. He told me, Rostad is a terrific leader and can make all the passes. He's got FBS interested in him as well.
But no offers. Which, for qb’s especially, means you probably aren’t getting one. Glad he pulled the trigger for UM early.
Will really help with the rest of the class.

Back