• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Season preview

I'm a GSU fan doing a little research on the top 1-AA programs, and since you guys are pretty much the consensus No. 1, I was wondering what you thought would be your biggest challenges this year (pre-playoffs). I understand you brought a lot of firepower back from last year's NC team, but are there any areas of concern.

As for the Eagles, I think rumors of their demise may have been greatly exaggerated. New players at fullback and Qb will benefit from an offensive line that is light years better than the one you folks saw in the 2000 championship game, and while the preseason All-American lists may not show it, the GSU defense may be one of the top 2-3 in the nation.

Hope to see you guys in Chattanooga this year. That 2000 game was a classic!

Good to hear from a GSU fan! I hope you're right. Your O-line and defense certainly should be sound. I felt that last year was our rebuilding year. Certainly, we have to move up some players to replace some outstanding graduates, but we didn't lose very many. I expect great things from our defense. We allowed a total of six points in the last two games. To tell you the truth I don't have ANY concerns. We have a talented pool to compliment the returnees AND we still have a very young team. The GRIZ would welcome a rematch should it come to pass. Our first game at HOFSTRA should be a good indicator of what we have.

Good to hear from a GSU fan! I hope you're right. Your O-line and defense certainly should be sound. I felt that last year was our rebuilding year. Certainly, we have to move up some players to replace some outstanding graduates, but we didn't lose very many. I expect great things from our defense. We allowed a total of six points in the last two games. To tell you the truth I don't have ANY concerns. We have a talented pool to compliment the returnees AND we still have a very young team. The GRIZ would welcome a rematch should it come to pass. Our first game at HOFSTRA should be a good indicator of what we have.

OK.... here are the concerns for the griz:

RB- lose of the schools best ever RB, Two redshirt freshmen left to replace him. Now this could be more of just an unknow because JR Waller was the best running back prospect out of the portland area.... ahead of Ryan Fuqua, who had an awesome season last year for PSU.

Also a transfer from U. of Washington could pick up the slack. UW always recuits the top RB's in the nation, and tradtionally is stong at RB every year. So this kid may just be a stud. He is 6'1" and about 220...runs a 4.38 forty! If he is a good one.....well let's just say the UM trophy case needs to be expanded.

LB- we have great talent on the first string, but the depth is the concern. Lots of young guys that have not played in the 2nd and 3rd team LBs.

CB- awesome talent on 1st team....but after that it's thin. So thin that we had wide recievers move to CB.

Our strength is the lines on both sides of the ball. Awesome! our defense will again be tough. And we will have more speed and talent at reciever than we've had since back in '95. We also have a QB with a ring on his finger. you know he knows how to get it done!

I was also suprised to see the rankings of GSU and Furman....and Street&Smith picks the Socon like this: 1 App. St. 2 E. Tenn. St. 3 W. Carolina???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Well somebody got a hold of some good crack.....and I don't mean the kind in you pants! Well we will see. I can't wait to kick the season off.

Finnaly an opponet's fan who wants to talk football. This year promises to be an exciting year. There are many things going on all over the board in I-AA. The Big Sky conf. will produce some great action. All around I think the division has really matured.
From the top things always look a little different. There are some major changes on a few teams that were good last year that could put them closer to the top. The thing that seperates a competitive team and a championship team is depth. That is where we excel. At QB and RB we are outstanding but we also have a tremendous amount of experince throughout. The 16 games last season gave us ample opportunity for growth and fine tuning. It great to have a team that is not "rebuilding". I think we can all agree that we are built. The established foundation we have allows for fine tuning. Hell, were built and tuned. Let's play some FOOTBALL!!!

I must say that the national reputation of the Big Sky never lives up to the reputation of the Griz... It will be good for your team if the competition is better across the board in your conference. I think playing a tough SoCon schedule is a big bonus for any team coming out of our region, but some of your conference foes have been somewhat of pushovers in past years. You can't put a sharp edge on your sword without fire! Where will your big challenges be in the Big Sky?

As for the Street and Smith rankings, nearly every "expert" has laughed off their poll as absolute foolishness. Certainly the Griz deserve their No. 1 rank (GSU was ranked No. 1 following their championships), which I thnk has held true in every poll. You have a lot of returning talent, and your program is much like GSU in that your pool of reserve talent is generally more like a mid-major 1-A team than a 1-AA squad.

As for the SoCon, App State will be solidly the favorite to win the conference. You guys know what a tough bunch of SOB's the Mountaineers are! Furman lost a lot of talent up front, but should stay in the hunt, and Western Carolina has a nice RB in Fred Boatang, but still has issues on defense. The Citadel might be improved, too. But East Tennessee? They have a good young defense, but the offense is still in shambles.

Responses to posts here:

The outlook for the Griz is guardedly very optimistic. Although there are a couple of areas where they've lost great players, recent classes and transfers seem to include the horses necessary to fill the holes. UM lost Yo Humphery, its greatest RB ever, but we have two good young RBs (redshirt frosh) and the aforementioned transfer from the University of Washington. Our WR corps lost one of our best ever, Etu Molden, but has several young receivers ready to burst onto the scene. We lost both starting tight ends (one was used in short yardage situations), but have a couple of young guys who everyone says are more athletic than either of our graduated TEs. UM's QB situation is very solid, with a starter who has played in two championship games and won one, and who has worked hard in the off-season on his shortcomings, and a reserve whom many Griz fans believe is better than the starter, if he could only crack the starting lineup. The OL is very solid, with 4 of five starters returning, and a couple of young guys looking like good fills in case of injury.

The DL is even more solid than the OL, with the entire unit back from last year, older, wiser, and stronger. Absent injury, I look for All-American caliber years from Ciche Picher and Jonny Verona. This unit is deep and talented. The linebackers are young, but athletic, and the DB corps is very strong, if a little thin.

Kicking is in good hands for both punting and kickoffs, although bugs may need to be worked out for the holder, a new starter, who is succeeding one of the surest handed holders in the division. Montana's return game may be its best ever, with guys on both kickoff (Jefferson Heidelberger) and punt return (Levander Segars) teams who should take at least one back all the way this year.

Concerns will be the play of the new RBs, the anointing of the next great Griz receiving threat (most likely Ty Peterson or Jefferson Heidelberger), and the depth of the DBs.

Also, the Griz are not resting on their laurels, from everything I've heard. Reliable reports indicate that at least 70 returning players have been working out in Missoula all summer, getting set for their next season and hopefully another playoff run.

Your comments about the strength of the Big Sky Conference seem understandable given the remainder of the conference's performance in recent playoffs, and maybe even given Montana's recent string of conference wins. Remember, though, that UM does not slaughter every member of the conference throughout the year--many of UM's conference wins are real struggles, either going down to the wire or heading into overtime. Unless you think they're sandbagging or overlooking lesser opponents, this indicates that the conference competition is strong, if not quite up to UM's level. The lack of non-Big Sky wins in the post-season can be laid on other things in addition to lack of strength--always playing away games, lack of playoff experience, and unfortunate injuries and peaking at the wrong time (see PSU's performance, as it were, in the 2000 playoffs, after they had started the season 6-0, including a win over 1-A Hawaii in Hawaii--they had a lot of injuries to offensive starters as the year went on, and were a shell of their early season selves by the playoffs, going 2-4 in their last 6 games).

Back