• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Constitution...

GoodGodGriz

DONOR
My wife and I were talking the other night while avoiding watching Bush's state of the Union. Yes, we avoided it, and even more importantly, we were actually talking! :wink:

Is there a time when we need to look at our Constitution and give it a little update? I mean, how much of our fore fathers thoughts and ideals are applicable today, 200+ years in the future?

I won't get into the specifics of our discussion, but just throwing this out there for discussion here.

And for arguments sake, I believe 99% of the original Constitution is relevant today...

GoodGodGriz said:
My wife and I were talking the other night while avoiding watching Bush's state of the Union. Yes, we avoided it, and even more importantly, we were actually talking! :wink:

Is there a time when we need to look at our Constitution and give it a little update? I mean, how much of our fore fathers thoughts and ideals are applicable today, 200+ years in the future?

I won't get into the specifics of our discussion, but just throwing this out there for discussion here.

And for arguments sake, I believe 99% of the original Constitution is relevant today...

I dont think we need to take a look at the constatution, we just need judges who will inteperate it *alito, roberts, scalia, thomas* as opposed to those who just want to make their own rules *row v. wade*

Hells bells said:
GoodGodGriz said:

I dont think we need to take a look at the constatution, we just need judges who will inteperate it *alito, roberts, scalia, thomas* as opposed to those who just want to make their own rules *row v. wade*

And you want us to believe Breyer, Ginsburg, O'Connor, Souter, Kennedy are above reproach? By the way, it is Roe V Wade, not row :thumb:

I think laws dealing with controversial social issues are maleable and should change through the generations. The thing that makes the US constitution special is its built-in defense against those who would use their power to put such laws in concrete.

Thus, whether abortion is legal or not doesn't bother me. I know that in another 200 years it will have long since ceased to be a tool of political leverage because our society will have matured past indiscriminate sex and religious hangups; For the most part.

But when presidents are bypassing warrants for domestic spying and claiming national security as a defense I think it's much more of a threat to the stability of our country.

Grizbacker1 said:
Hells bells said:
GoodGodGriz said:

And you want us to believe Breyer, Ginsburg, O'Connor, Souter, Kennedy are above reproach? By the way, it is Roe V Wade, not row :thumb:

1) ever hear of a typo?
2) sorry i dont trust anyone who hasnt spent at least a year as a judge *that shoots down ginsburg*
3) or anyone else who says that "we will seek out other ways to back up what we want to have as us law" (that is basically the rest of them)

Back