Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Get the low down on Griz Football and the FCS
grizfan1984
2nd String
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:05 pm
I am a fan of: montana

Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by grizfan1984 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:31 pm

With the success of Tru, and others why is it we are having a hard time recruiting corners? we have not picked up a single corner the last 2 recruiting classes, meanwhile to the east they just picked up another 3 star corner from St John Bosco in Level Price Jr. Meaning they have signed 4 for the class of 2018 yet we only have 5 on our whole roster.

User avatar
MrG
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 804
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:45 am
Location: Bellevue

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by MrG » Sun May 13, 2018 11:57 pm

They are probably going to convert a couple of them into receivers. :ugeek:
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on....or imbeciles who really mean it.
-Mark Twain

mtgrizfankb
Starter
Posts: 2012
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by mtgrizfankb » Mon May 14, 2018 8:43 am

corners are a real hit and miss in recruiting in FCS football. if you are a real good corner...you go FBS. Most mid level corners out of HS either won't play corner at FCS level or are not that great. The best bet for a corner in FCS is to get an athlete D player and transition them to corner, get a WR and transition them to corner or get a drop down corner from FBS. Most HS players don't wanna be corners. They want to play WR and most play both ways in HS. The more athletic kids in HS usually play LB or Saftey. I would bet that we have atleast 3 players on the roster or recruited this year that coaches have Corner in mind...but they didn't sell the player on that to get them here.
Griz Nation. Loud Proud and Maroon.
Image

User avatar
blackfootipa
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:45 pm
I am a fan of: Griz Nation

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by blackfootipa » Mon May 14, 2018 9:25 am

mtgrizfankb wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:43 am
I would bet that we have atleast 3 players on the roster or recruited this year that coaches have Corner in mind...but they didn't sell the player on that to get them here.
Maybe. But there isn't 1 kid in the incoming recruiting class that is convertable.

User avatar
DuCharme
Second Team All Conference
Posts: 5245
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:00 pm
I am a fan of: The Mecca

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by DuCharme » Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 am

FWIW, Fouch was recruited as a db.

User avatar
blackfootipa
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:45 pm
I am a fan of: Griz Nation

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by blackfootipa » Mon May 14, 2018 10:15 am

DuCharme wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 am
FWIW, Fouch was recruited as a db.
Safety

rgrizfan
2nd String
Posts: 755
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:35 pm

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by rgrizfan » Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am

Still baffles me that Alex Johnson wanted to be a Griz, but Hauck didn't seem to want him. Guess UCLA thought he was good enough to offer him a PWO.

BlackChickenHobo
Walk On
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 9:02 am
I am a fan of: Montana

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by BlackChickenHobo » Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm

I know why but if I say anything on here it gets deleted by the left wing nut jobs running the site. It appears only one side gets to voice opinions on here.

MTGRZ
3rd String
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:42 pm
I am a fan of: The University of Montana

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by MTGRZ » Mon May 14, 2018 2:54 pm

BlackChickenHobo wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm
I know why but if I say anything on here it gets deleted by the left wing nut jobs running the site. It appears only one side gets to voice opinions on here.
Oh that's an easy cop-out! Just say it.

User avatar
bgbigdog
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 3847
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:53 am
I am a fan of: Montana
Location: US

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by bgbigdog » Mon May 14, 2018 3:09 pm

MTGRZ wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 2:54 pm
BlackChickenHobo wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:22 pm
I know why but if I say anything on here it gets deleted by the left wing nut jobs running the site. It appears only one side gets to voice opinions on here.
Oh that's an easy cop-out! Just say it.
I know - five posts & already acting like a diva. Astute catch though, noting the mods are all former college professors. :lol:
“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.” Groucho Marx.

mtgrizfankb
Starter
Posts: 2012
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by mtgrizfankb » Mon May 14, 2018 4:32 pm

blackfootipa wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:15 am
DuCharme wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:14 am
FWIW, Fouch was recruited as a db.
Safety
maybe to his face, but like i said before. what coaches say to players and what they envision are 2 completely different things.
Griz Nation. Loud Proud and Maroon.
Image

mtgrizfankb
Starter
Posts: 2012
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by mtgrizfankb » Mon May 14, 2018 4:42 pm

players that could play CB...by no way am I saying they will....i have no insider info on this subject....these all could be subject to a player saying no as well.

Malik Flowers
Nick Fouch
Mitch Roberts
Danny Burton
Nash Fouch
David Koppang
Jackson Pepe
Drew Turner


already CBS:
Nash
Cowans
Crow
Egbo
Holmes
Griz Nation. Loud Proud and Maroon.
Image

mtgrizfankb
Starter
Posts: 2012
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by mtgrizfankb » Mon May 14, 2018 4:42 pm

blackfootipa wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:25 am
mtgrizfankb wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:43 am
I would bet that we have atleast 3 players on the roster or recruited this year that coaches have Corner in mind...but they didn't sell the player on that to get them here.
Maybe. But there isn't 1 kid in the incoming recruiting class that is convertable.
Your sky high if you think that
Griz Nation. Loud Proud and Maroon.
Image

PlayerRep
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20218
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:06 am

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by PlayerRep » Mon May 14, 2018 5:38 pm

Does UM have a hard time? Johnson, Wilson, Calvin Coleman, Tuff Harris. All NFL, right? McKinley, JR Nelson, Vernon Smith, Johnny Peoples, Joel Rosenberg, Swink, Thompson, Kevin Edwards, Chris Clark, Brandon Dodson, Donny Lisowski, Houston Roots, Josh Dennard, Nate Harris

dayday
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm
I am a fan of: Griz and Zags

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by dayday » Mon May 14, 2018 6:17 pm

I would second this we have missed big time in the last couple recruiting cycles. 1st year under Stitt was lack luster there but he had a short cycle. That next year he did alright getting Cowans, Egbo, and eventually Nash. Stitt’s last recruiting cycle he only went hard after Tre Bugg and he burned us at the end. There was no backup plan. Now Hauck let’s Johnson go, Markel retires and signs no corners. He also was working on a short time line but still puzzling. Now we are hurting at the position. We need a transfer badly which is not something that should be depended on. I do have some hopes we get one or two this summer. I like the twitter activity on the Colorado State CB. Anyways this next year they have to sign a few high quality CBs. No reason we can’t beat out some of these BSC or some Mountain West teams for some of these guys.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ursus1
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 3280
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:57 am

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by Ursus1 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 pm

rgrizfan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am
Still baffles me that Alex Johnson wanted to be a Griz, but Hauck didn't seem to want him. Guess UCLA thought he was good enough to offer him a PWO.
Baffles me as well

mtgrizfankb
Starter
Posts: 2012
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:05 pm

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by mtgrizfankb » Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm

Ursus1 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 pm
rgrizfan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am
Still baffles me that Alex Johnson wanted to be a Griz, but Hauck didn't seem to want him. Guess UCLA thought he was good enough to offer him a PWO.
Baffles me as well
Why does everyone assume that’s the case? Nobody actually knows. Sounds like the kid got hurt at some point this year as well. Sure UCLA got him as a PWO but he was a scholarship player here...maybe that scholarship was more important to have for something else. We like to sit here and pretend like this kid as all in and we just ignored him but I highly doubt that was the case. It’s odd he has really no other offers when he was a good studenya. UCLA also has like 7 of his old teammates on their roster. Once again I doubt we just told him no unless there is much more to the story. That UCLA team is stacked at CB so if the kid makes it there...more power to him
Griz Nation. Loud Proud and Maroon.
Image

User avatar
uofmman1122
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 2937
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:13 pm
I am a fan of: Metrosexual Uniforms
Location: Missoula

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by uofmman1122 » Tue May 15, 2018 1:09 am

mtgrizfankb wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm
Ursus1 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 pm
rgrizfan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am
Still baffles me that Alex Johnson wanted to be a Griz, but Hauck didn't seem to want him. Guess UCLA thought he was good enough to offer him a PWO.
Baffles me as well
Why does everyone assume that’s the case? Nobody actually knows. Sounds like the kid got hurt at some point this year as well. Sure UCLA got him as a PWO but he was a scholarship player here...maybe that scholarship was more important to have for something else. We like to sit here and pretend like this kid as all in and we just ignored him but I highly doubt that was the case. It’s odd he has really no other offers when he was a good studenya. UCLA also has like 7 of his old teammates on their roster. Once again I doubt we just told him no unless there is much more to the story. That UCLA team is stacked at CB so if the kid makes it there...more power to him
If I remember correctly, I think we weren’t all in on him because he wasn’t all in on us, and may have been waiting for the UCLA offer.

dayday
eGriz Supporter
Posts: 1150
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:32 pm
I am a fan of: Griz and Zags

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by dayday » Tue May 15, 2018 2:19 am

uofmman1122 wrote:
mtgrizfankb wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:12 pm
Ursus1 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 pm
rgrizfan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 10:36 am
Still baffles me that Alex Johnson wanted to be a Griz, but Hauck didn't seem to want him. Guess UCLA thought he was good enough to offer him a PWO.
Baffles me as well
Why does everyone assume that’s the case? Nobody actually knows. Sounds like the kid got hurt at some point this year as well. Sure UCLA got him as a PWO but he was a scholarship player here...maybe that scholarship was more important to have for something else. We like to sit here and pretend like this kid as all in and we just ignored him but I highly doubt that was the case. It’s odd he has really no other offers when he was a good studenya. UCLA also has like 7 of his old teammates on their roster. Once again I doubt we just told him no unless there is much more to the story. That UCLA team is stacked at CB so if the kid makes it there...more power to him
If I remember correctly, I think we weren’t all in on him because he wasn’t all in on us, and may have been waiting for the UCLA offer.
Well you are remembering incorrectly. He wanted to sign early but Green told him to hold off because Hauck was not sure yet. He stay committed for weeks and weeks but then had to decomit when his offer was pulled. That is according to him when he talked to media. Also his father on here essentially said the same after one poster on here had a racist comment. That is about the closest sources you could have since we don’t have coach’s perspective on this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
CatzWillRise
Starter
Posts: 2008
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:31 am

Re: Why do we have such a hard time recruiting CBs?

Post by CatzWillRise » Tue May 15, 2018 9:31 am

CBs are the Center of mid-major (FCS) basketball. Not enough to go around, so if you have any skill at all you land in the FBS.

Yes the Cats signed some high profile kids, but Tyler Thomas is 5'9 175, Jalen Cole, one of the prized recruits in Choate's first class is 5'8 150. Both high profile recruits but obviously size limited their FBS options. The Gibson twins bring a bit more height at 6' each, but again only 165 as true freshman.

CB seems to be the hardest position to recruit in the FCS.
Image

Image

Post Reply