• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

When did the Missoulian

horribilisfan8184

Eliminate the reader comments? Since Florio returned my visits have gone from rarely to almost never. Not surprised to see the RIF carnage to editors including sports editor as losses mount.

How could the Missoulian....

Get any worse???? I feel bad for the people who work there, including the sports people.

#Deathspiral

AllWeatherFan said:
Removing reader comments was the right thing to do. People can write letters to the editor.

I could not agree more.
The only problem with the Letter to the Editor is that people have to put their name on it, and cannot hide behind an anonymous screen name.

About six months ago, a guy I know was attacked on the Missoulian online comments by some coward making all sort of bogus accusations. He/she used an article about a family member getting into some trouble as an opportunity to bash him. The story had nothing to do with him at all, but the punk posted a half dozen very derogatory comments about him. The Missoulian, of course, did nothing to stop it. He is a good guy, and a local business owner. It was bullshit. Unfortunately, the anonymous nature of things like this is a breeding ground for cowards.

Gazette did it a few months ago. I'm torn on the practice. While I see that many of the comments got totally out of hand, it does shut down the public comment. I realize that letters to the editor are there, however, they can be selective in the practice of publishing them.

Raider said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Removing reader comments was the right thing to do. People can write letters to the editor.

I could not agree more.
The only problem with the Letter to the Editor is that people have to put their name on it, and cannot hide behind an anonymous screen name.

About six months ago, a guy I know was attacked on the Missoulian online comments by some coward making all sort of bogus accusations. He/she used an article about a family member getting into some trouble as an opportunity to bash him. The story had nothing to do with him at all, but the punk posted a half dozen very derogatory comments about him. The Missoulian, of course, did nothing to stop it. He is a good guy, and a local business owner. It was bullshit. Unfortunately, the anonymous nature of things like this is a breeding ground for cowards.

Well put Raider.

Glendivegriz said:
Gazette did it a few months ago. I'm torn on the practice. While I see that many of the comments got totally out of hand, it does shut down the public comment. I realize that letters to the editor are there, however, they can be selective in the practice of publishing them.

People still tee off on facebook with it and it's somewhat tied to actual names so it would seem the discussions will continue there.

BWahlberg said:
Glendivegriz said:

People still tee off on facebook with it and it's somewhat tied to actual names so it would seem the discussions will continue there.

Fine for those of you who have surrendered to the digital gods. Some of us value our privacy and don't belong on Facebook. It's amusing how everyone just assumes you must be. A kind of elitist arrogance of the exhibitionist class I guess.

Raider said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I could not agree more.

Oh, so what? Everyone knows the comments are personal opinions. Comments allow people to vent. Yes, civility would be nice, but we need thick skins. Idiotic comments soon get countered by their peers. I'm on a few Web forums. One is unmonitored, well, w/in some limits, but people post what they feel. It gives people like me insight into the varied opinions people have about issues.

For example, it's both informative and entertaining to read some comments that to me are far out, but it shows the span of opinion in our community. As to requiring actual names, how's the Missoulian going to ensure the name is actual and not an alias? Hire more staff? No, keep present system of comments.

Grizzoola said:
Raider said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I could not agree more.

Oh, so what? Everyone knows the comments are personal opinions. Comments allow people to vent. Yes, civility would be nice, but we need thick skins. Idiotic comments soon get countered by their peers. I'm on a few Web forums. One is unmonitored, well, w/in some limits, but people post what they feel. It gives people like me insight into the varied opinions people have about issues.

For example, it's both informative and entertaining to read some comments that to me are far out, but it shows the span of opinion in our community. As to requiring actual names, how's the Missoulian going to ensure the name is actual and not an alias? Hire more staff? No, keep present system of comments.

It may not be a perfect method, but if you write a letter to the editor, the Missoulian contacts you by phone, and will not print the letter unless they can verify you are the writer.

Grizzoola said:
Raider said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I could not agree more.

I know you were a frequent Missoulian comment poster, so not surprisingly, you missed the point “David2”.

Posting your personal opinion is one thing. Posting blatantly false and derogatory information about a local business owner is completely different.

How would you like some anonymous person posting information on the Missoulian comment section, using your full name and business, calling you a drunk and a wife beater? Especially when it’s completely fabricated. Would it be “oh, so what” then?

Well for my money the Missoulian situation is even worse. They have now cut it down to 2 sections, putting both national and Montana news in 1 section with the puzzles. The letters to the editor are now down to 1/4 page. The second section is now only the sports ,classified and comics. If you have two people in the house who read the paper at the same time (as we do) it doesn't work very well. They also have sliced down the sports reporting to exclude the rest of the big sky teams and no extended local high school coverage. Did I mention they also informed us they are raising their price effective immediately.
Wished there was a good regional paper.

Raider said:
Grizzoola said:

I know you were a frequent Missoulian comment poster, so not surprisingly, you missed the point “David2”. Posting your personal opinion is one thing. Posting blatantly false and derogatory information about a local business owner is completely different. How would you like some anonymous person posting information on the Missoulian comment section, using your full name and business, calling you a drunk and a wife beater? Especially when it’s completely fabricated. Would it be “oh, so what” then?
Flattered, perhaps concerned, Raider that you follow me so closely. Why couldn't you and your guy's friends respond to the erroneous comment? It's a forum, free speech. Idiodic comments are soon spotted by regular readers of these comments, and for the most part, ignored. That's what a public forum is all about. I'm finally getting a thick skin after several years of "abuse" on eGriz. :eek:

Grizzoola said:
Raider said:
Grizzoola said:

I know you were a frequent Missoulian comment poster, so not surprisingly, you missed the point “David2”. Posting your personal opinion is one thing. Posting blatantly false and derogatory information about a local business owner is completely different. How would you like some anonymous person posting information on the Missoulian comment section, using your full name and business, calling you a drunk and a wife beater? Especially when it’s completely fabricated. Would it be “oh, so what” then?
Flattered, perhaps concerned, Raider that you follow me so closely. Why couldn't you and your guy's friends respond to the erroneous comment? It's a forum, free speech. Idiodic comments are soon spotted by regular readers of these comments, and for the most part, ignored. That's what a public forum is all about. I'm finally getting a thick skin after several years of "abuse" on eGriz. :eek:

For a long time, you posted on e-griz and the Missoulian using the same “David2” moniker, with the same type of idiotic ramblings. It really wasn’t too hard to follow, so you need not be flattered or concerned.

And again, you completely missed the point. Responding to the comments is not the point. It’s the fact they were allowed in the first place. But I don’t know why I would be surprised here. If you justify coward garbage like that with “free speech”, then it tells me all I need to know about you.

Gentlemen & not-so,

The last person out already turned the lights off on S. Higgins a while back. The party has long been over, AJ just hasn't figured it out yet. Not surprising really.

There is an easy alternative to this: read Missoula Current and Skyline Sports. Minus high school sports coverage (which is something we'd eventually like to add) and education reporting (which I'm sure the Current would like to add if it could support it) these two combined sites do everything the Missoulian does, but better, for a fraction of the cost

kyle_sample said:
There is an easy alternative to this: read Missoula Current and Skyline Sports. Minus high school sports coverage (which is something we'd eventually like to add) and education reporting (which I'm sure the Current would like to add if it could support it) these two combined sites do everything the Missoulian does, but better, for a fraction of the cost

I was under the impression that posts soliciting a commercial venture were a violation of the eGriz terms of use.

:cool: ;)

Back