• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A look at the FCS playoffs

Paytonlives

Staff member
This year its a 24 team field with the first 8 getting seeded and a 1st round bye.
I think there are 20 teams locked into the playoffs already.

In So far:
North Dakota State is in (MV Champ)
East. Ill is in (Ohio Valley Champ)
Maine is in (CAA Champ)
Sacred Heart is in (North East Conference Champ)
SE Louisiana is in (Southland Champ)

Probable Conference Champs

(Big Sky)- EWU
(Big South)- Charleston Southern
(MEAC)- Bethune-Cookman
(Patriot)- Colgate
(Pioneer)- Butler
(Southern)- Samford

Teams that are probably in:
McNeese St. (9-2)
Coastal Carolina (10-1)
Montana (9-2)
NAU (8-2)
Towson (9-2)
South Car. State (8-3)
Yougstown St. (8-3)
Tenn. St. (9-3)
Lehigh (8-2)

These 12 game seasons are kind of weird. There's a whole new level of requirements. It's weird to think a 8 or 9 win team stays home. The new rule that d2 wins can count really inflate the wins. I have to be honest, I'm a little surprised the cats are sitting where they are. That's 2 really bad losses for a team that looked to be so good coming into the season.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/ 's playoff bracket predication .. (they admit to being under the effects of couch syrup )

1gawIWe.jpg

Larger Version
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

Still room for four more with that set-up. Don't know how much love there is for Tenn.St, they are not ranked and have an in-conference 44-0 loss to a .500 team. Other than that, and I'm probably wrong, this list looks about spot on.

Four more likely teams: Sam Houston State, Fordham (though they play no one), Chattanooga, especially if they beat Alabama on the road next week. LOL (but they have played a tough schedule and the NCAA loves putting games in places where they will get a crowd). Our Big Sky is a mess; if SUU wins they are probably in. In NAU loses they may be in regardless. If MSU wins (bite my tongue, they are probably in. A GRIZ win (as God would want it), puts MSU out and SUU in but only if they win, unless they are close and....aw who the heck knows.

Paytonlives- love the work you do on this site, you recruit information and outside the Big Sky stuff is great. I will never forgive Ditka for not giving Walter a TD against the Patriots. "You gotta dance with who brung ya".

Paytonlives said:
This year its a 24 team field with the first 8 getting seeded and a 1st round bye.
I think there are 20 teams lcked into the playoffs already.

In So far:
North Dakota is in (MV Champ)
East. Ill is in (Ohio Valley Champ)
Maine is in (CAA Champ)
Sacred Heart is in (North East Conference Champ)
SE Louisiana is in (Southland Champ)

Probable Conference Champs

(Big Sky)- EWU
(Big South)- Charleston Southern
(MEAC)- Bethune-Cookman
(Patriot)- Colgate
(Pioneer)- Butler
(Southern)- Samford

Teams that are probably in:
McNeese St. (9-2)
Coastal Carolina (10-1)
Montana (9-2)
NAU (8-2)
Towson (9-2)
South Car. State (8-3)
Yougstown St. (8-3)
Tenn. St. (9-3)
Lehigh (8-2)

EWU has already clinched at least a share of the Big Sky title, and they've clinched the auto bid. Just thought I'd clear that up! :thumb:

I dont think EWU is official, though they are obviously in.

If they were to lose to PSU (ya right)
and NAU beats Southern Utah
Both teams would be 7-1

Becasue they did not play, I believe it goes to the third place team.
If thats UM, Ewu beat the Griz by 4, NAU beat UM by 18
Advantage NAU

Paytonlives said:
I dont think EWU is official, though they are obviously in.

If they were to lose to PSU (ya right)
and NAU beats Southern Utah
Both teams would be 7-1

Becasue they did not play, I believe it goes to the third place team.
If thats UM, Ewu beat the Griz by 4, NAU beat UM by 18
Advantage NAU

Ewu has locked up the auto bid, it comes down to who you beat not margin of victory, thus MSU is the tiebreaker. EWU has clinched the auto....

Its cool... we know they are in and without a miserable (loss) showing vs. PSU hey will be seeded 1,2 or three.

Big Sky:

NAU
SUU
UM
MSU

Big South:

Coastal (10-2 w/an FBS loss, wins over 6-5 Furman, 8-3 SC State & 6-5 Eastern KY)

CAA:

Towson (9-2 w/FBS win, best conf win is over 6-4 UNH)
UNH (6-4, w/FBS loss, lost to Lehigh, lost to Towson, lost to W&M, best win is over JMU; last game is against Maine, which may eliminate them anyway)
UD (7-4 w/FBS loss, wins against JMU & Towson, have lost 2 straight & last game is against Villanova)
W&M (7-4, w/FBS loss, wins against JMU, UD, UNH, final game is against Richmond)

MEAC:

SC State (8-3, w/FBS loss, no quality wins, last game against Norfolk State)

MVC:

YSU (8-3 w/FBS loss, losers of last two, final game against SDSU)
SDSU (7-4 w/FBS loss, winners of three straight, final game against YSU)

Patriot:

Lehigh (8-2, last game against Lafayette for Patriot Title; do they get in even with a loss @ 8-3?)

OVC:

Tennesee State (9-3, season complete)
Jacksonville State (8-3, w/FBS* win, last game against 3-8 SEMO)

Southern:

Chattanooga (8-3, last game against Alabama, lost to Samford)
Samford (7-4, w/FBS win & FBS loss, beat Chattanooga and in line for autobid w/win over Elon this weekend)

Southland:

McNeese St. (9-2, w/FBS win; win against SHSU, last game against Lamar)
SHSU (8-3 w/FBS loss; win over EWU, last game against UCA)

So, there are essentially 19 teams in the running for 13 at-large spots. For the Big Sky Conference to legitimately get 5 bids (which, with 13 teams isn't unheard of), we need certain "bubble" teams to lose. Now, if the Griz win this weekend, I think MSU is out and the point is moot. But God forbid the Griz lose, MSU becomes a bubble-team again, fighting against other bubble teams.

Personally I'll be rooting for SUU over NAU & the Griz over MSU (duh), which gives the BSC a solid FOUR teams in. After that to make the committe's job easy I'll be rooting for the following teams:

YSU (to eliminate SDSU)
Norfolk State (to eliminate SC State)
Elon (to eliminate Samford)
SEMO (to eliminate Jacksonville State)
Lehigh (to eliminate Lafayette)
Maine (to eliminate UNH)
UCA (does this eliminate SHSU?)
Richmond (to eliminate W&M)
Villanova (eliminates UD)

If any 5 of these happen, combined with an SUU and a Griz win, I think the committe's choices will be pretty clear.

AZGrizFan said:
Big Sky:

NAU
SUU
UM
MSU

Big South:

Coastal (10-2 w/an FBS loss, wins over 6-5 Furman, 8-3 SC State & 6-5 Eastern KY)

CAA:

UNH (6-4, w/FBS loss, lost to Lehigh, lost to Towson, lost to W&M, best win is over JMU; last game is against Maine, which may eliminate them anyway)
UD (7-4 w/FBS loss, wins against JMU & Towson, have lost 2 straight & last game is against Villanova)
W&M (7-4, w/FBS loss, wins against JMU, UD, UNH, final game is against Richmond)

MEAC:

MVC:

Patriot:

Lehigh (8-2, last game against Lafayette for Patriot Title; do they get in even with a loss @ 8-3?)

OVC:

Southern:

Samford (7-4, w/FBS win & FBS loss, beat Chattanooga and in line for autobid w/win over Elon this weekend)

Southland:

So, there are essentially 19 teams in the running for 13 at-large spots. For the Big Sky Conference to legitimately get 5 bids (which, with 13 teams isn't unheard of), we need certain "bubble" teams to lose. Now, if the Griz win this weekend, I think MSU is out and the point is moot. But God forbid the Griz lose, MSU becomes a bubble-team again, fighting against other bubble teams.

Personally I'll be rooting for SUU over NAU & the Griz over MSU (duh), which gives the BSC a solid FOUR teams in. After that to make the committe's job easy I'll be rooting for the following teams:

YSU (to eliminate SDSU)
Maine (to eliminate UNH)

If any 5 of these happen, combined with an SUU and a Griz win, I think the committe's choices will be pretty clear.

So you don't think EWU will get in? ;)

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
Big Sky:

NAU
SUU
UM
MSU

Big South:

CAA:

MEAC:

MVC:

Patriot:

OVC:

Southern:

Southland:

YSU (to eliminate SDSU)
Maine (to eliminate UNH)

So you don't think EWU will get in? ;)
:lol: these are the non-AQ's

Tod said:
Is there a reason that Fordham isn't mentioned by anyone? Aren't they 10-1?

Fordham would likely be in if they can win at Colgate this weekend. If they lose and go 10-2, I'm not sure they will get an at-large spot. Note that they can't win the Patriot this year, but can get an at-large.

Back