• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NDSU's Formula for Success

AllWeatherFan

DONOR
1. Damn good defense - best in FCS by far and better than most FBS teams. That defensive coordinator should be the hottest coaching commodity around.
2. Solid offensive line play.
3. Mistake-free football. A little boring and unimaginative, but no offensive turnovers and very few stupid penalties.

It's really no different than a lot of the other teams who've had success against us deep in the playoffs, i.e., Richmond, James Madison, Villanova, Marshall, etc.

Personally, I'd rather have Don Read's or Robin Pflugrad's offense, even with the higher risks involved, but damn, NDSU could easily win four straight championships when all is said and done.

Its great especially since msu gets to play them in Fargo next year :thumb: .........gonna get they're collective arses whooped good! NDSU is a machine and well oiled at that!

AllWeatherFan said:
1. Damn good defense - best in FCS by far and better than most FBS teams. That defensive coordinator should be the hottest coaching commodity around.
3. Mistake-free football. A little boring and unimaginative, but no offensive turnovers and very few stupid penalties.

It's really no different than a lot of the other teams who've had success against us deep in the playoffs, i.e., Richmond, James Madison, Villanova, Marshall, etc.

Personally, I'd rather have Don Read's or Robin Pflugrad's offense, even with the higher risks involved, but damn, NDSU could easily win four straight championships when all is said and done.

They have a large offensive play book. When they find a play that works, they don't keep running it over and over and over. They mix it up, and did it very well. We need JJ back so he can do this for us....

reinell30 said:
They have a large offensive play book. When they find a play that works, they don't keep running it over and over and over. They mix it up, and did it very well. We need JJ back so he can do this for us....

Agreed. They don't hesitate to run a trick play or use lots of misdirection. But you'll never see Brock Jensen throwing into coverage. They score just enough points to win games, and with that defense, they don't need to score many.

AllWeatherFan said:

lol...that sounds exactly like Bobbyball. All three points. :lol:

AllWeatherFan said:

Sounds like Bobby Ball.

AZGrizFan said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Beat me to it.

SloStang said:
AZGrizFan said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Beat me to it.

Like a rented mule, bitch. :D

Yup, it definitely sounds like Bobby ball -- and, man, oh, man, did certain people bitch about that, no matter how often the Griz won. There are those who are never happy, no matter the result.

AllWeatherFan said:
Bobby wished he had a defense like that. He never came close.
Exactly........and he never had an offense like NDSU or a coaching staff or the rings. The fu*king list goes on and on..............you guys are comparing a Kardashian (whore) to a nun

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

SloStang said:
AllWeatherFan said:

Sounds like Bobby Ball.

Bullsh!t. Bobby ball involved Kraig Paulson, and his defenses could never get the job done......at least in the biggest games.

AWF's 1-3 is more like the Glenn/Breske/Cole days......Hence the year 2001 (which was way too long ago).

NDSU is so impressive. AND yes, they remind me a ton of several of the Bobby-era teams. The Griz did have some GREAT defenses under BH no matter what some of you say. But Alpha is right, the Bison have closed the deal twice, something the Griz weren't able to do under BH or Pflu. But, the offense the Bison run is Bobby/Phen ball to a tee, I guess they just do it better. Needs to be re-named Bohlsball now.

Sidenote, man you should see the thread on BN, I know Alpha has seen it. Tomcat is trying his damndest to downplay how good NDSU has been and will be next season. Tomcat, other than his Griz bashing, is a really intelligent poster, and I know him from his days as a newspaper guy, but MAN, he's looking silly on some of the stuff he's saying about NDSU. If the Bison don't at least get to the chipper again next season, I'll be SHOCKED!

You're all forgetting one thing. NDSU's roster and depth chart is heavily populated with Minnesota kids. Minnesota football is underrated and the level of football, while not Ohio or Florida or Texas, is definitely worthwhile place to search for talent. When you have former Gatorade Player's of the Year in football like Joe Maurer and Michael Floyd you begin to understand the level of talent. Oh and one more thing for any Montana coaches who might be reading this board. There is a kid by the name of Bridgeport Tussler who is Minnesota's Gatorade Player of the Year in football for this past year and I don't think many people are recruting him. Don't ask me why but it might be worth our effort to find out more about this kid. He was pretty much all of Osseo High Schools offense and also plays basketball. If Montana had been doing its homework and working to get Minnesota kids while they were in the national championships, they would have had the chance to get some of the kids who are currently at NDSU. They rested on their laurels and didn't try to expand their recruiting base.

There's a reason NDSU won championships and Bobby didn't. Bohls came from the Nebraska coaching tree and Huack came from the Washington coaching tree. One wins championships and one dreams of championships. That's all that needs to be said.

H
NDSU debunked a lot of assumptions about what it takes to make it to the chipper. It's not a school rich in championship appearances. UND had the better playoff showing in DII.

Exposure to California. Remember when Coach Pflugrad was telling the media that the new Big Sky Conference scheduling scheme could be bad for UM because it wouldn't play as much in Califirnia as it did under the old Big Sky? He said that was bad for recruiting because UM wouldn't have exposure to California. California players signing with the Griz wouldn't get to play in front of their families often. Seems to be working out for the Bison just fine. They've actually gotten better since they played in the Great West.

Here's another thing we learned from NDSU. If you got a coach on your staff that isn't getting it done? He might have a great resume. He might bleed your school colors. He might have more fiery spirit than a cheerleader on meth. If his kids aren't performing. Fire him. Coach Bohl has no problem cutting a coach loose, even a coach as solid as Mike Breske. THe Bison OC has been at the school 15 years. Bohl has been there 10 years. EVeryone else has been there for a much less time. NDSU has six coaches on its staff with four years or less with the Bison. THere are none of Craig's college roomates, or best men or siblings holding a whistle.

Here's another myth debunked. You don't need a staff full of former players or assistants who know your school's brand of football or bleed whatever god awful colors your uniforms are. There are 11 coaches on NDSU's staff. Only four of them are NDSU alums.

Here's another thing we learned, hard schedules aren't bad. NDSU doesn't play the Iowas, the Oregons, the Tennesees of the world. It plays FBS teams it can compete with and it beats them. After that, it plays a conference schedule that's pretty tough year in and year out.

MNGriz04 said:
You're all forgetting one thing. NDSU's roster and depth chart is heavily populated with Minnesota kids. Minnesota football is underrated and the level of football, while not Ohio or Florida or Texas, is definitely worthwhile place to search for talent. When you have former Gatorade Player's of the Year in football like Joe Maurer and Michael Floyd you begin to understand the level of talent. Oh and one more thing for any Montana coaches who might be reading this board. There is a kid by the name of Bridgeport Tussler who is Minnesota's Gatorade Player of the Year in football for this past year and I don't think many people are recruting him. Don't ask me why but it might be worth our effort to find out more about this kid. He was pretty much all of Osseo High Schools offense and also plays basketball. If Montana had been doing its homework and working to get Minnesota kids while they were in the national championships, they would have had the chance to get some of the kids who are currently at NDSU. They rested on their laurels and didn't try to expand their recruiting base.

I have always said that we are at a competitive disadvantage in terms of our geographical isolation. But it's a little tough to recruit Minnesota from here. We will have better luck in WA, OR, CA, etc.

griz4life said:
H
NDSU debunked a lot of assumptions about what it takes to make it to the chipper. It's not a school rich in championship appearances. UND had the better playoff showing in DII.

I think you are thinking of the other NDSU. "The Bison have won ten national championships; they were selected as NCAA College Division champions by polling three times (1965, 1968, 1969), won the NCAA Division II National Football Championship five times (1983, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1990), and have won the NCAA Division I Football Championship twice (2011, 2012)."

AllWeatherFan said:
MNGriz04 said:

I have always said that we are at a competitive disadvantage in terms of our geographical isolation. But it's a little tough to recruit Minnesota from here. We will have better luck in WA, OR, CA, etc.

Have you been to Glacier Park during the summer? Every other car has a Minnesota license plate.

drop down BCS running back with speed=Crockett
disciplined o line well coached on good fundamentals
assignment defense-stayed at home filled the gaps held Flanders and Sincere combined to less than 100yds rushing

except for the trick play and the one mistake SHST made leaving the tight end open underneath-Sam Houston played excellent coverage-
it is said that games are won or lost at the line....while that may be true.....good db's and safties that know how to cover the pass and deflect and intercept the pass are worth their weight in gold as are the linemen.....these are the most underdeveloped positions whether it be lack of being coached or talented or both in the FCS. These guys are few and SHST and NDST have them both covered......no pun intended

Back