• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

PSU updating their Arena

WyomingGrizFan said:
For 51 million I would've thrown in a football field or two.

You can build it, but will they come?
51M? Holy crap. No kidding about a football field thrown in. Good for them for trying BUT the problem is, (and likely always will be) at PSU is that it is a commuter-school located in a fairly large cities' downtown with no real sense of community or campus, at least compared to most colleges. 65% of their 21,000 student are from 1 of 3 area counties, and 53% of students use "mass transit" to attend classes. With an NBA team 2 miles away and almost every (PSU) basketball-centric fan also being an Oregon or Oregon State fan, I just don't see a big fan-base easily being developed, but I guess good for them for trying.

Zirg said:
WyomingGrizFan said:

51M? Holy crap. No kidding about a football field thrown in. Good for them for trying BUT the problem is, (and likely always will be) at PSU is that it is a commuter-school located in a fairly large cities' downtown with no real sense of community or campus, at least compared to most colleges. 65% of their 21,000 student are from 1 of 3 area counties, and 53% of students use "mass transit" to attend classes. With an NBA team 2 miles away and almost every (PSU) basketball-centric fan also being an Oregon or Oregon State fan, I just don't see a big fan-base easily being developed, but I guess good for them for trying.
I've only seen their stadium on t.v. during soccer game, is it that bad as a football venue it actually looks pretty nice to me. I get the whole atmosphere sucking because of all the other alternatives they have and the Vikings being way down on the list of things to do.
Overall as a facility only, where does it stand in the big sky?

mtgrizrule said:
That's much better. That helps your recruiting and the conference.

my first reaction to the title of this thread was did they buy a bunch of folding chairs? but after checking it out, you are spot on. This will help energize boosters and alum, help recruiting, get fannies in the seats and elevate the conference. hats off to PSU for stepping up their game.

Zirg said:
WyomingGrizFan said:

I agree with your basic premise, but also believe that things are changing for the better for PSU. Unlike a generation ago, a lot of housing has been built in the downtown area, giving Portland a real city feel. There is also a substantial senior development right at the base of the tram that goes up to the medical center, a short distance from the PSU campus, and those people have bucks. Not to mention Portland has one of the best urban transit systems in the country, so access to the PSU campus is relatively easy.In short: If PSU markets wisely, I think they could develop a solid fan base within the community.

And while I'm not a fan of all the rain in Portland (isn't the state flower moss?), it's also the case that Portland has become a very cool city. I was talking to a woman from Cedar Rapids recently and she proudly told me that Cedar Rapids was now "the Portland of the Midwest."

But careful what we wish for. Portland State has high ambitions. I don't see much of a future for their football program, but for basketball, the WCC makes much more sense for them, where they could attract teams like Gonzaga and BYU, while intensifying an inter-city rivalry with the Portland Pilots. Their bottom line in athletics would blossom if they dropped football, and added the WCC basketball revenue.

Back