• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS vs FBS 2018 (Colonial)

How many upsets?

• Zero zip, nada

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • One or Two

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Three

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Four

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Five or more

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

IdaGriz01

When I decided to do the CAA, I discovered that the relevant article had dropped off the bottom of the STATS.com list. (I’m sure it’s there somewhere, but they don’t seem to have an “Archive” button. Luckily, several other searchable sites had picked it up:
http://www.espn.com/espn/wire/_/section/ncf/id/23440697

There are twelve matchups between Colonial Athletic Conference teams and FBS opponents, although Delaware does not have one (for the first time since 2012). That’s because Maine has two FBS games.

Albany (4-7) vs Pittsburgh (5-7)
Elon (8-4) vs South Florida (10-2)
James Madison (14-1) vs North Carolina State (9-4)
Maine (4-6) vs Western Kentucky (6-7) and Central Michigan (8-6)
New Hampshire (9-5) vs Colorado (5-7)
Rhode Island (3-8) vs Connecticut (3-9)
Richmond (6-5) vs Virginia (6-7)
Stony Brook (10-3) vs Air Force (5-7)
Towson (5-6) vs Wake Forest 8-5)
Villanova (5-6) vs Temple (7-6)
William & Mary (2-9) vs Virginia Tech (9-4)

Haley’s “upset alert” is the Villanova game. He asserts that the Wildcats’ will be better than their record suggests because they had a lot of key injuries last season … and most of those guys are back. He knows those eastern teams pretty well, so he could be right on that one.

You might pick Rhode Island over pitiful UConn, but the Rams have been really bad the past several years … so that looks pretty unlikely.

I like that Nova game as well. I think there will be 2 with the other being a wild card. Richmond always seems to give VA fits and beat them recently (2 years ago?) How good is Wake this year??? they seem to be up and down. UConn went from decent to crap so no. Colorado seemed to turn the corner but then dropped a load last year so who knows. JMU will be good but will they be NC State good? maybe.

I think one. I really think zero, but there always seems to be one UNLV/Howard game per conference per year...not sure which one it's gonna be for the Colonial...

AZDoc said:
I like that Nova game as well. I think there will be 2 with the other being a wild card. Richmond always seems to give VA fits and beat them recently (2 years ago?) How good is Wake this year??? they seem to be up and down. UConn went from decent to crap so no. Colorado seemed to turn the corner but then dropped a load last year so who knows. JMU will be good but will they be NC State good? maybe.

I bet they delight in giving Virginia the fits. Especially after the Hoos grabbed Mike London out from under them (the Richmond HC who bested the Grizzlies in ‘08).

BozAngelesGriz said:
AZDoc said:

I bet they delight in giving Virginia the fits. Especially after the Hoos grabbed Mike London out from under them (the Richmond HC who bested the Grizzlies in ‘08).

No doubt they love that. UVA may be solid this year, looking at their roster but who knows.

AZDoc said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
AZDoc said:

No doubt they love that. UVA may be solid this year, looking at their roster but who knows.

Maybe, but I bet Virginia Tech continues their win streak. They’re at 14 right now.

AZDoc said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
AZDoc said:
Lots of optimism coming out of the Spider camp. They see 2017 as an off year and think the team should be judged more like the 2016 team, which went deep into the playoff and ended at 10-4. Yes, I see they got pummeled at EWU in the end. But how much more likely would you see an upset if you "pretended" that Richmond was a 10-4 team? On the other side, the Virginia camp is a bit of a mess ... in a recent open meeting, Coach Mendenhall said less than a third of his players are "ACC caliber." As you might expect, that did not please the fan base, although there are those who concede it might be an accurate statement.

Just to bump some actual football speculation, I went cruising the web

Found some interesting stuff among the faithful for the Hilltoppers (Western Kentucky). They seem genuinely concerned that the team will overlook Maine ... it being sandwiched between dates at Wisconsin and at Louisville. Maine is apparently in a turn-around (the fans say) from its mediocre record last year. Another theme is how beat up the squad might be after they play a tough, physical Wisconsin team.

IdaGriz01 said:
Just to bump some actual football speculation, I went cruising the web

Found some interesting stuff among the faithful for the Hilltoppers (Western Kentucky). They seem genuinely concerned that the team will overlook Maine ... it being sandwiched between dates at Wisconsin and at Louisville. Maine is apparently in a turn-around (the fans say) from its mediocre record last year. Another theme is how beat up the squad might be after they play a tough, physical Wisconsin team.
The plot thickens! :)

The Hilltoppers were already concerned about their relatively inexperienced OL. Now their RS senior starting center (Dennis Edwards) is leaving -- going who-know-where? -- via the graduate transfer route. He started every game last season and apparently made every (or almost every) first-team snap during spring ball. They're really scrambling down there.

IdaGriz01 said:
When I decided to do the CAA, I discovered that the relevant article had dropped off the bottom of the STATS.com list. (I’m sure it’s there somewhere, but they don’t seem to have an “Archive” button. Luckily, several other searchable sites had picked it up:

There are twelve matchups between Colonial Athletic Conference teams and FBS opponents, although Delaware does not have one (for the first time since 2012). That’s because Maine has two FBS games.

Haley’s “upset alert” is the Villanova game. He asserts that the Wildcats’ will be better than their record suggests because they had a lot of key injuries last season … and most of those guys are back. He knows those eastern teams pretty well, so he could be right on that one.

You might pick Rhode Island over pitiful UConn, but the Rams have been really bad the past several years … so that looks pretty unlikely.

My upset pick is New Hampshire over Colorado simply because Colorado is a bottom dwelling PAC 12 team and I don't care for that conference. The other interesting game for me is James Madison and NC State. With JM poised and planning a move up, this game ought to give their administration a good idea as to where the football program is competitively.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
IdaGriz01 said:

My upset pick is New Hampshire over Colorado simply because Colorado is a bottom dwelling PAC 12 team and I don't care for that conference. The other interesting game for me is James Madison and NC State. With JM poised and planning a move up, this game ought to give their administration a good idea as to where the football program is competitively.
Interesting on the UNH vs Colorado notion ... and not a wild-ass, outside pick. The Buff followers are not overly confident:
http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_31984809/cu-opponent-preview-new-hampshire-one-best-fcs

In the article, the commentator said "the Buffaloes are sure to be favored, but it may not be a cake walk."

IdaGriz01 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Interesting on the UNH vs Colorado notion ... and not a wild-ass, outside pick. The Buff followers are not overly confident:
http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_31984809/cu-opponent-preview-new-hampshire-one-best-fcs

In the article, the commentator said "the Buffaloes are sure to be favored, but it may not be a cake walk."

McDonnell returns 18 starters and several kids who got significant play time. Three excellent receivers return and their qurterback has been playing a long time (I think he held the ball too long on a lot of plays last year though). Their main weakness last year was the OL but I believe a year playing together and being a year older will make a world of difference.

They're my CAA pick this year though.

Back