• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Lady Griz Get Big Time Player

HookedonGriz said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
TrueGriz said:
...she indicates is a good player with very good prospects, but still being big time is a little strong.

So, just how many three-star rated 30th best guard in the nation in her class has the Lady Griz recruited in the past thirty of forty years?

http://arizonawildcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5995

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/217749

Ding ding ding. This is GOOD PICK UP!
+1 FFS, be happy for the good news.

Spanky2 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:
There are hundreds of outstanding young women basket ball players in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Tennessee that are capable of dominating the Big Sky Conference. Among those, I am more than sure that many would love to attend a place like UM if only to see how the other half lives.

Recruiting the southeast is cost prohibitive for the womens program.
Helena, why? I think the results can negate increased costs, if any. If we build relationships with the ACC coaches and recruit their rejects, we will have superior players over our current team members.

Women's basketball will never be a money maker, and spending more makes very little sense. UM women's basketball will continue to be very regional in recruiting. Even if you build relationships with ACC coaches, the return would most likely be minuscule. There are too many options for those kids to stay closer.

maroonandsilver said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:
There are hundreds of outstanding young women basket ball players in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Tennessee that are capable of dominating the Big Sky Conference. Among those, I am more than sure that many would love to attend a place like UM if only to see how the other half lives.

Montana Men's Tennis successfully recruits multiple players from all over Europe as well as South Africa.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky2 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
GrizLA said:

Helena, why? I think the results can negate increased costs, if any. If we build relationships with the ACC coaches and recruit their rejects, we will have superior players over our current team members.

Women's basketball will never be a money maker, and spending more makes very little sense. UM women's basketball will continue to be very regional in recruiting. Even if you build relationships with ACC coaches, the return would most likely be minuscule. There are too many options for those kids to stay closer.

Pretty sexist post. Both Men's and Women's Basketball Teams lose money, and most likely always will. At UM, the Lady Griz have a large, loyal following. Just as large and loyal as the Men's program. And those fans expect competive teams.

maroonandsilver said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky2 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Pretty sexist post. Both Men's and Women's Basketball Teams lose money, and most likely always will. At UM, the Lady Griz have a large, loyal following. Just as large and loyal as the Men's program. And those fans expect competive teams.

Nothing sexist. The thread is about the women's program and that is what I addressed.

HelenaHandBasket said:
maroonandsilver said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky2 said:

Nothing sexist. The thread is about the women's program and that is what I addressed.

:lol: Of all the nerve...addressing the thread topic. You should be ashamed of yourself

HelenaHandBasket said:
maroonandsilver said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky2 said:

Seriously, not like the men's program is recruiting Florida, Georgia, ect

DPGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
maroonandsilver said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Why not?

Spanky2 said:
DPGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
maroonandsilver said:

Why not?

Probably because it's simultaneously more expensive to recruit/scout and harder to get commits from 2,000+ miles away. The southeast is not a good fit for Montana both in terms of distance and in terms of culture and weather, if UM wanted to expand their recruiting footprint (in any sport) the best bet, after the West Coast and Rockies, would be the Midwest.

DPGriz said:
Spanky2 said:
DPGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Why not?

Probably because it's simultaneously more expensive to recruit/scout and harder to get commits from 2,000+ miles away. The southeast is not a good fit for Montana both in terms of distance and in terms of culture and weather, if UM wanted to expand their recruiting footprint (in any sport) the best bet, after the West Coast and Rockies, would be the Midwest.
Don’t agree it’s harder to recruit in the southeast,no harderthan a coach in the souteast to recruit a youngster in Montana. Yes, the culture is different, but we all live in the USA and many parents encourage their boy or girl to benefit by going to a school in another area of our country. Regarding ladies basketball, recruiting with success in the southeast could help bring our program to a higher level.

Spanky2 said:
DPGriz said:
Spanky2 said:
DPGriz said:
Why not?

Don’t agree it’s harder to recruit in the southeast,no harderthan a coach in the souteast to recruit a youngster in Montana. Yes, the culture is different, but we all live in the USA and many parents encourage their boy or girl to benefit by going to a school in another area of our country. Regarding ladies basketball, recruiting with success in the southeast could help bring our program to a higher level.

Which school in the southeast is recruiting Montana?

DPGriz said:
Spanky2 said:
DPGriz said:
Spanky2 said:

Wake Forest, Clemson

Spanky2 said:
DPGriz said:
Spanky2 said:
DPGriz said:

Wake Forest, Clemson

So now you want to compare P5 recruiting budgets with BSC recruiting budgets?

HelenaHandBasket said:
Spanky2 said:
DPGriz said:
Spanky2 said:

Wake Forest, Clemson

So now you want to compare P5 recruiting budgets with BSC recruiting budgets?
No, we don’t need to do that. Most of us are aware of the difference in budgets.

This has been discussed ad naseum, but part of the LG recruiting budget was historically calibrated and part of it self fulfilling.

When your success was defined by recruiting a particular type of player, from a particular place, who is to say that is a poor strategy to keep mining it. There comes an expectation that UM should continue, in face of compelling information to the contrary, to mine the same places. I don’t think Robin was ever complacent, but he was successful in part because for nearly a generation, those Montana girls were enough. They were above replacement players, and not at all a detriment to Big Sky Conference and some national success.

To alter that strategy, requires a substantive recalibration of efforts that may have been outside the scope of the staff and administration to engage upon. To be honest, I don’t know that some of it wouldn’t be possible without a change in direction within the staff.

If you consider how the men’s program has landed the likes of Pridgett, Oguine, Rorie, Anderson and others, you have to look at the types of connections DeCuire had. I don’t know that UM is on the same playing field as those guys without DeCuire. Presence in a region is less important as having coaches who have capital in those regions. Maybe in a few years, Montana can continue to recruit those areas without DeCuire.

If you go back to the football programs recruiting of two places: Hawaii and Florida during the 90’s. Their connections were entirely a product of who the coaches were and their understanding of the actual talent there.

So the women’s program could recruit places in California, metro San Francisco/Oakland, LA or San Diego. They could. They could spend a lot of time and money on places that might not bear fruit for years, with the current staff they have. I just think it would take a significant and concerted shift to go that direction. Just don’t know if they see that as efficient or possible.

Grizfan-24 said:
This has been discussed ad naseum, but part of the LG recruiting budget was historically calibrated and part of it self fulfilling.

When your success was defined by recruiting a particular type of player, from a particular place, who is to say that is a poor strategy to keep mining it. There comes an expectation that UM should continue, in face of compelling information to the contrary, to mine the same places. I don’t think Robin was ever complacent, but he was successful in part because for nearly a generation, those Montana girls were enough. They were above replacement players, and not at all a detriment to Big Sky Conference and some national success.

To alter that strategy, requires a substantive recalibration of efforts that may have been outside the scope of the staff and administration to engage upon. To be honest, I don’t know that some of it wouldn’t be possible without a change in direction within the staff.

If you consider how the men’s program has landed the likes of Pridgett, Oguine, Rorie, Anderson and others, you have to look at the types of connections DeCuire had. I don’t know that UM is on the same playing field as those guys without DeCuire. Presence in a region is less important as having coaches who have capital in those regions. Maybe in a few years, Montana can continue to recruit those areas without DeCuire.

If you go back to the football programs recruiting of two places: Hawaii and Florida during the 90’s. Their connections were entirely a product of who the coaches were and their understanding of the actual talent there.

So the women’s program could recruit places in California, metro San Francisco/Oakland, LA or San Diego. They could. They could spend a lot of time and money on places that might not bear fruit for years, with the current staff they have. I just think it would take a significant and concerted shift to go that direction. Just don’t know if they see that as efficient or possible.
With the current staff, the future for the lady griz is probably about what the past has been.

mtgrizrule said:
Is Fatkin a higher rated recruit than Morales was, coming out of high school? IF so, she is a serious talent. I sure miss having a dominating scorer and overall talent like Morales with the Lady GRIZ.

Good call, mtgrizrule. Morales was something else, a gamer!! :clap:

HookedonGriz said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
TrueGriz said:
...she indicates is a good player with very good prospects, but still being big time is a little strong.

So, just how many three-star rated 30th best guard in the nation in her class has the Lady Griz recruited in the past thirty of forty years?

http://arizonawildcats.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5995

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/217749

Ding ding ding. This is GOOD PICK UP!

"She (Sam Fatkin) does things you can't teach," (Arizona Head Coach Adia) Barnes said. "Her vision and senses are great on the court. She brings three-point shooting to the table, is very versatile and has good size at the one, two or three positions. I love the way she plays with a chip on her shoulder and I think she is going to be a sleeper because she's very athletic and can play multpile positions."

< http://www.kvoa.com/story/33673541/coach-adia-barnes-womens-basketball-team-releases-signing-class

also, an earlier appraisal: http://asgrbasketball.com/young-pg-leads-way-to-win-gold-to-nashville-charlotte/

Back